• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best ballistic app for iPhone???

7.62_Reaper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2012
I have bullet flight for my android now but now I have gotten an iPhone is there a better app than bullet flight out there?

I use Ballistic: Advanced Edition and its the best I've ever seen or heard about. there have even been times when my data book....PROVEN dope on my rifle and the app, disagreed, and every time the app was right. You won't be disappointed in this one.

I use Istrelok its very simple at it has the actual reticle in it. Also pretty cheap.

for IOS, BallisticAE and shooter are tops... i have used everyone made for IOS, those 2 are the best most feature rich for the cash...
i think
bullet flight sucks... not that it wont give you the right data, but for the price and usability, it blows

Ballistic AE for me. I like the truing feature, the JBM engine, and the way it can handle multiple winds. Very awesome.

Will Ballistic AE receive updated environmental data via bluetooth from a Kestral (Bluetooth equipped) unit?

Will Ballistic AE receive updated environmental data via bluetooth from a Kestral (Bluetooth equipped) unit?

Negative with the iPhone. The iPhone itself is unable to communicate with the Kestrel. Bluetooth on the iPhone is only setup up for sound transfer, speakers, earbud Spock talky thingies etc.

No problem. I fought that same issue when I got my kestrel nv4500.
I probably have nearly every ballistics app for the iPhone. I generally use Ballistic AE and just input the Density Altitude off of the kestrel if I'm using the computer. Otherwise I use Shooter to email myself dope tables to format in excel and print cards I hang off my scope rings based on various density altitudes.

I get the same results using either program. Ballistic AE has more features and functions if you're into that stuff. Shooter is more simple and straight to the point.

Just remember that any program or Mildot-master, or whiz wheel will only be as accurate as the information you're feeding it.
You will need to know exactly what you are working as best you can and then true them to real world data.
The bullets path won't lie.

Joe

No problem. I fought that same issue when I got my kestrel nv4500.
I probably have nearly every ballistics app for the iPhone. I generally use Ballistic AE and just input the Density Altitude off of the kestrel if I'm using the computer. Otherwise I use Shooter to email myself dope tables to format in excel and print cards I hang off my scope rings based on various density altitudes.

I get the same results using either program. Ballistic AE has more features and functions if you're into that stuff. Shooter is more simple and straight to the point.

Just remember that any program or Mildot-master, or whiz wheel will only be as accurate as the information you're feeding it.
You will need to know exactly what you are working as best you can and then true them to real world data.
The bullets path won't lie.

Joe

Understood.

Actually going to true several rifles this weekend. Should be able to get good truing data from 600 - 1k.
Interested to see how much difference it makes.

I have both, and I like both pretty eaqually. NEed to use them more to decide which is best, but both do a great job.

Any recommendations between both platforms?

I run android and iOS (galaxy note 2 & iPad 3)

Any apps for android comparable to Ballistic AE?

Is it worth getting Streklock or another app that's available on both systems?

I always have my phone and 90% of the time carry my iPad as well but obviously its not as convenient. So... Get Ballistic AE on iPad and run something else or nothing on my phone?

Anyone else use both markets? What would you pick?

I have no problem buying two separate programs if they have their advantages

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So, I decided to download the IPad version of Ballistic AE. Not sure what the difference is besides the title but its twice the download size as the iPhone version.

Anyway, I would still like to purchase one for my phone (galaxy note 2) as well. I was looking at shooter and advanced ballistics. Someone made mention that the extra $20 for AB is solely reticle views, specifically Nightforce. Any truth to this? Anything else to consider? Have no problem paying extra for a better program or better UI

Thanks-

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Quiet honestly, with the smart phone apps, it depends on which one appeals to you the most as they are at the point where they are all about the same or close enough that they are good out to about 1000 -1200. If you are shooting beyond that the consensus is that FFS/Cold Bore software is the best and most consistent option to choose. With that said, I find Ballistics AE to be the go to app on the phone with the FDAC card being the fastest and easiest to use as a backup.

PS: FYI, on ballistic AE on the ipad, you will need to go into your ipad "settings" to tweak some of your AE settings to you preferences. It's not apparent when you're playing with the program and can leave you scratching your head at first.

Last edited:
Ballistics AE. Jonathan Zdziarski has done way more in developing and keeping this program updated than any other program out there.

Ballistics AE. Jonathan Zdziarski has done way more in developing and keeping this program updated than any other program out there.

I have Balistics AE on my IPhone. I need a Kestrel or similar to get my environmental data. Is it a waste of money to get the Kestrel with Horus?

I have a MilDot Master and plan to get an FDAC ADAPTIVE for backup computations. I like having the ability to go old school in case the tech goes down. A good thermometer can give us our density altitude data when combined with the analog slide rule.

I like computer gadgets, but do we really have to them?

Last edited:
I have Balistics AE on my IPhone. I need a Kestrel or similar to get my environmental data. Is it a waste of money to get the Kestrel with Horus?

I have a MilDot Master and plan to get an FDAC ADAPTIVE for backup computations. I like having the ability to go old school in case the tech goes down. A good thermometer can give us our density altitude data when combined with the analog slide rule.

I like computer gadgets, but do we really have to them?

The good thing about the FDAC and or the Accuracy 1st whiz wheel is that as long as you are in the ballpark on temperature and altitude, the card/wheel works surprisingly well, so your reliance on analog or electonic devices to give you exact temperature/altitude is not critical.

Just bought Ballistics AE. Can't wait to try it out. Which Kestrel is best? Not looking for an expensive model, just one that works well for this app! Thanks!

Decided to just "put the tip in" and downloaded the basic version of iStrelok because it was crazy cheap and more highly rated than the advanced version. Great catalog of available reticles, pulls as much environmental data as it can from the phone's GPS and so far has been pretty intuitive to play with. If I hadn't dumped all the data out of my kestrel during a battery change I'd have a better idea of how it compares to the Atrag.
Based on the overwhelming love here of BallisticAE that will probably be the next one I try. My kestrel is still king on the range, but I like being able to do dope workups on a more user-friendly interface. If I can now manage to get a JBM download to work on my fricken computer I will have all the information overload I can handle.

Decided to just "put the tip in" and downloaded the basic version of iStrelok because it was crazy cheap and more highly rated than the advanced version. Great catalog of available reticles, pulls as much environmental data as it can from the phone's GPS and so far has been pretty intuitive to play with. If I hadn't dumped all the data out of my kestrel during a battery change I'd have a better idea of how it compares to the Atrag.
Based on the overwhelming love here of BallisticAE that will probably be the next one I try. My kestrel is still king on the range, but I like being able to do dope workups on a more user-friendly interface. If I can now manage to get a JBM download to work on my fricken computer I will have all the information overload I can handle.

I have istrelock too. It is rather intuitive and has a different layout that some may like, the reticle selection is extensive and its easy to use.

It looks like there will be a new Kestrel option loaded with Ballistics AE.

I think I will wait to see how this plays out before sinking $700 into the system.

Hello I am new to cell phones and bc's just bought the iphone and want to load strelok with all the reticles how is it done? can't seen to load it thanks

I will say this, the guy behind Ballistic AE has the best update/svc I have seen. I emailed him asking about Federal's 90 gr Gold Dot 6.8 spc and he had me a ton of info from Federal 4 hrs later.

I was using Ballistic AE but had trouble when toggling between guns and it not saving my most recent weather conditions. Screwed up a lot of shots because of that an dthe wind function.

I just got Shooter for my Android (where it's AWESOME) and iPad, (where it lacks a few of the android functions but is still superior to Ballistic AE IMHO).

I checked the outputs and their identical b/t the two

I was cursing that Ballistic AE, until I figured out the DA feature!! Now I love it. However, everyone else I shoot with runs Shooter and they have nothing but great things to say about it.

I have used both Shooter and Ballistic AE both have there pros and cons but I like the Bal AE better, but the cost is a little more.

I've tried a few, Mil-Dot, Bullet Flight, and I just added Nosler along with Ballistic AE. The biggest disappointment was the Nosler, it doesn't have anything to support the 6.5CM or at least I can't find it. Mil-Dot has worked well, as does Bullet Flight. After watching the video on Ballistic AE, I just added it but haven't used it on the range yet. Of all the programs Ballistic AE offers you the ability to add additional data that might help refine the trajectory data and help you get on target sooner. I like being able to compare the results from at least 2 programs.