• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Bang For My Buck?

RoosterShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2011
Kentucky
With ammo prices through the roof, and not having enough time & money for reloading right now, I'm looking for a good .22 LR rifle. This rifle will be used for target and hunting.

I've heard good things about Marlin's bolt action .22s, but I've never shot them.

What is your favorite, and why?

I'd like to stay below $400 for the initial cost of the rifle. Scope not included.

Thanks.

Re: Best Bang For My Buck?

best bang for buck ruger 10/22 219 for rifle get a bull barrel and hammer sear upgrade and your set to have fun.

there are literally thousands of aftermarket items that you can add on as money permits or strikes your fancy.

I am a bolt guy so I will say the nicest at around $420 is a CZ 452 Varmint. Real nice balance, heavy tapered 21" barrel. $15 for a brooks trigger kit and is is perfect. This is my favorite rifle, in a different class than most of the cheap .22s, this is old world craftsmanship

If you want to spend less there is nothing wrong with a Marlin bolt .22. I had a 25N as my first rifle 20 years ago and it still kills rabbits every winter. If you go that route you are looking at a whopping -$200 initial cost.

People like savage...other people that is, no arguing they are great for the money.

And for semi, the chevy 350 is the 1022, can buy ANYTHING for that rifle if you like to tinker and want a semi auto.

I like my Ruger Charger/Kidd barrel/PFI 3-9x Rapid Reticle scope,cause although maybe 100-150 fps less velocity i'm still killing PD's out to ~250 yds. ~40% of the time--

IMG_1255.jpg

If you can find one. Remington Model 504 it comes in a few different configurations and either .17 or .22lr. Mine only has a little Leupold Rifleman but i have no issues dropping squirrels at 100 yards and shooting the caps off of soda pop bottles at 50. And thats just with my meager shooting ability.

Drifter has given great advice with the CZ Varmint.

If you are planning on packing it around on your shoulder for a few hours at a time I would consider the CZ American, as the American with a standard tapered barrel weighs in at 5.4 lbs as opposed to the heavy tapered barrel of the Varmint being 6.84 lbs.

The American can be had for $399 on budsgunshop.

You can't go wrong with the Savage either. There are about a billion (ok slight exageration) different models to choose from. Budsgunshop.com actually has 69 differnet variations in stock right now under your $400 mark. Synthetic, wood, laminate, thumbhole, camo'd... Lots to choose from.

I looked at several today, and I can't make up my mind!

I like the price of the Savage Mark IIs, but then I like the versatility of the Marlin 981T.

I may have to do a little more looking around until I make up my mind.

Thanks for the input.

CZ 452 Varmint. I bought it because I got a good deal on one, but after having it, I'd buy one again in a heartbeat because it's very accurate.

Mine's sub-MOA @ 100 yards with Wolf Target Match and minute of groundhog out to +/- 200 yards

I like the ruger 10/22. There is endless accessories you can put on them. Barrel switch is a breeze.

Or a CZ 452 Varmint. CZ is one hell of a rifle, and they have great customer service.

I'm a savage owner but damn those CZ are nice. If I were to do it over again I would just spend the extra couple bucks and go CZ. When I pick up a 17hmr it will probably be the 455 for the barrel switch abilities. Something to keep in mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captramrod01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a savage owner but damn those CZ are nice. If I were to do it over again I would just spend the extra couple bucks and go CZ.</div></div>
Stole the words straight out of my mouth...

Has anyone seen any Cooper's lately? I've heard that they are the Kimber and Wilson Combat of the .22 LR community.

You won't be touching a Cooper for anywhere near $400 that I am aware of.

i had the pleasure of shooting a cooper squirrel rifle. very smooth action, crisp trigger, and accurate... and it should be for 4x the price of a CZ 452.

I just sold my Cooper in 17 Ackley Hornet. It was pretty, but that SOB would fail to extract a loaded round about every 1/5 and spent case about 1/10, not acceptable for a +$1200 single shot rifle. When I called them they said send it in, and the rapair would cost X. It was an unfired rifle I bought from someone. For that money I was expecting , send it in we will unfuck our mistake and get it back to you fast. I am out of the cooper game.

On the CZ 452 V , I mounted up a Leupold 3x9x33 efr with fine chross hair, and did the Brooks trigger kit. For me it is the perfect .22.

I have a buddy that has a 452 American and a Lux both in .22lr, and they are all superbly accurate with Wolf match. great guns.

Used CZ and put the money in glass.

I don't have one as I shoot Annies - but would
go CZ if budget was limited

I was talking this topic over with my wife , who is a fellow gun nut, and she wondered why I couldn't just use my TC Encore with a Bergara .22 LR Barrel to hunt varmint?

She and I bought this rifle to substitute for our larger caliber addictions, 375 H&H, 45-70 Gov't, etc ...

Do any of you have any input on this?

Look no further than Savage or CZ. Plenty of models to choose from. Inexpensive. And they shoot lights out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was talking this topic over with my wife , who is a fellow gun nut, and she wondered why I couldn't just use my TC Encore with a Bergara .22 LR Barrel to hunt varmint?

She and I bought this rifle to substitute for our larger caliber addictions, 375 H&H, 45-70 Gov't, etc ...

Do any of you have any input on this? </div></div>
If she were a true gun nut she would be all for getting a dedicated rimfire...
whistle.gif
But joking aside that combination should be doable. There certainly isn't anything wrong with it unless it doesn't have acceptable accuracy. The single shot isn't ideal for hunting though.

If I would have had the option to get a CZ when I was 13 I would have, but dad couldn't understand spending more than a couple hundred bucks for a .22
grin.gif
So I got a Marlin 880SQ and in the last 10 years it has seen a crazy amount of action and been put through hell in many hunting situations. Just had it out target shooting at 100yds in between my 6mm groups and it still surprises me at how accurate it is considering it still has the shitty factory synthetic stock on it and a semi improved trigger. If/when I buy another bolt .22 it will probably be a CZ. I love their actions and clean lines. But, you won't be disappointed on the performance side of a Marlin or Savage if you want to save some dough to put into better glass. And unless you have enough for both I'd save it for the glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CZ 452 Ultra Lux </div></div>

Ditto. If you decide to go with the CZ, please dont limit yourself to the Varmit. I personally prefered the longer barreled european style stocked version over the American. It shoots dime covered 5 shot grps easily at 50 with Wolf Match Target (if I do my part, Its a ragged hole) and I really hav'nt even tried anything else through it. Running an old 4x Leupy with Millet rings. This little rifle has made me look at CZ in a whole different light since I got it over a year ago.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CZ 452 Ultra Lux </div></div>

Ditto. If you decide to go with the CZ, please dont limit yourself to the Varmit. I personally prefered the longer barreled european style stocked version over the American. It shoots dime covered 5 shot grps easily at 50 with Wolf Match Target (if I do my part, Its a ragged hole) and I really hav'nt even tried anything else through it. Running an old 4x Leupy with Millet rings. This little rifle has made me look at CZ in a whole different light since I got it over a year ago.

okie </div></div>

Here's me setup:

CZs and Buck Mark Stainless Camper in Pelican 1750
CZsandPelican17503.jpg

Scout with Leupold EFR
IMG_1579.jpg

CZs love Wolf Match Target and Winchester Subsonic
ScoutRangeReport.jpg

ScoutRangeReport2.jpg

Ultra Lux Wood
IMG_1513.jpg

Tell me, how well does the Ultra Lux balance while shooting in different positions? Is the long(er) barrel a hindrance in any way? What sort of loss in velocity do you see from standard length 22lr barrels?

Thanks,
Dylan

P.S. I love the flowing rings of wood in your stock, absolutly beautiful.

I shot an Ultra Lux with BRNO Olympic Sights last season on a 50' indoor four position smallbore league. I absolutely loved that rifle during the prone, sitting, and kneeling positions, but I had some serious issues though during the offhand position. I was shooting CCI SV and beleive that the 28.6" barrel was hindering me. I think that my follow through wasn't enough to be able to hold the rifle steady while the bullet was exiting the muzzle. And as a result the extra few inches of barrel would throw the bullet off POA.

Papagallos that is a nice set up you have there.

I only shot a few rounds down the Ultra Lux. It balances very, very well though. And the long barrel provides more accurate shot placements. I may be biased, but I love CZs. They are just wonderful rifles. The Beech Wood is Walnut stained, and it adds a touch of elegance when combined with the gold plated trigger.

Upgrade the trigger with Yo Dave's Trigger Kit and install J&P's Striker Spring. The trigger will break like the proverbial glass rod. I believe mine breaks around 15.4ozs, and the Scout's trigger breaks around 1.5lbs. Phenomenal.

Shop around for prices. You can find them as cheap as $360.00 and as expensive as $450.00.

Thanks for the kind comments Situation Normal and Terror. The wife doesn't know, but all in all I've got about $1,900 invested in this set-up.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Ya, there's quite a few different models of the 452. Mine says "CZ 452-2E ZKM" on the barrel (have yet to see another, would appreciate any info), it has a 23 and 5/8ths" barrel and balances (w/ scope) right at the front of the magwell. Looks just like Papagallos's but shorter barreled. Nice looking stock. Hav'nt noticed any change in accuracy due to position.... that I could blame on the rifle anyway.
wink.gif

ps. Oh, and mine has a slight dip in the front of the stock.

okie

Thats it in the pic SN, thanks.

The specs say 20.8" barrel though, mine is longer, so is the one in the pic.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya, there's quite a few different models of the 452. Mine says "CZ 452-2E ZKM" on the barrel (have yet to see another, would appreciate any info), it has a 23 and 5/8ths" barrel and balances (w/ scope) right at the front of the magwell. Looks just like Papagallos's but shorter barreled. Nice looking stock. Hav'nt noticed any change in accuracy due to position.... that I could blame on the rifle anyway.
wink.gif

okie </div></div>

Mine has CZ 452-2E ZKM on the receiver and Super Exclusive on the barrel.

You all have opened up a whole new string of possibilities for me.
smile.gif

Now, as it stands, the wife wants a Savage Mark II, and she said I could get whichever one I like. I'm thinking of a CZ 452 Ultra Lux shown HERE .

What is your take on the rifle I listed?

Oh yeah, she's even thinking of getting our 10 yr. old a .22 so everyone can join in on the fun. He's getting too big for his Cricket, and we were thinking of getting him a non-youth gun for his birthday in a month, and passing the Cricket on to our 7 yr. old. So, I'm thinking maybe a Ruger 10/22 to begin would be good for him .... sound ok?

Forgot to add ....

Browning Buckmarks are of exceptional quality and accuracy as far as I'm concerned. We have a pair of Buckmark Campers that are fitted out with Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite barrels, and we couldn't be happier. They are far superior to Rugers, in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya, there's quite a few different models of the 452. Mine says "CZ 452-2E ZKM" on the barrel (have yet to see another, would appreciate any info), it has a 23 and 5/8ths" barrel and balances (w/ scope) right at the front of the magwell. Looks just like Papagallos's but shorter barreled. Nice looking stock. Hav'nt noticed any change in accuracy due to position.... that I could blame on the rifle anyway.
wink.gif

okie </div></div>

Mine has CZ 452-2E ZKM on the receiver and Super Exclusive on the barrel. </div></div>

Ya Papa, thats on the reciever on mine too, not the barrel like I stated. "Super Excl." must represent the extra barel length of yours. Thanks again guys.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I'm thinking of a CZ 452 Ultra Lux shown HERE .

What is your take on the rifle I listed?
</div></div>

I loved mine. I only sold it because the barrel was too long for Silhouette shooting. At 28.6" it didn't qualify for both hunter aand standard classses. I now have a the shorter Special Military Trainer which qualifies for both classes. If you aren't planning on shooting Silhouette, then the Ultra Lux is an incredible rifle. You'll love it.

lux1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...Oh yeah, she's even thinking of getting our 10 yr. old a .22 so everyone can join in on the fun. He's getting too big for his Cricket, and we were thinking of getting him a non-youth gun for his birthday in a month, and passing the Cricket on to our 7 yr. old. So, I'm thinking maybe a Ruger 10/22 to begin would be good for him .... sound ok?
</div></div>

Everybody needs at least one 10/22. I usually recommend a bolt rifle as a first rifle, but with him having learned on a single shot Crickett then he probably won't have the same rapid fire issues that most kids have.

Good job getting the family shooting with you.

Cz 452, very accurate rifle and i like bolts.