• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best bang for the buck red dot?

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
I'm getting one of those cheap little Smith and Wesson M&P15-22's I dont want a scope on it but i want a little more than just plain open sights.

I cant justify buying a $400+ eotech sight for a $500 piece of plastic gun. With a $150 max allowance what would be the best red dot/reflex/holographic sight? I was thinking about one of those cheap $50 tru glo ones but they tend to get washed out in bright light. thoughts?

Re: Best bang for the buck red dot?

They look pretty good how do they work when used in bright sunlight? Is the one riser worth the extra money?

I put an UltraDot on my 10/22 and I really like it. It comes in right at your $150 limit.

would i need any kind of EOP for the mueller?

I am using a Vortex SPARC on my AR 22....... A little more than 150 but not much. Their other red dot is nice too.....listed above.

The Vortex sights are by far the ones im interested in most that have been posted so far. If the SPARC was $50 less i would probably get it but its more than i want to spend. With the Vortex StrikeFire it says its "paralax free past 50 yards"

What does this mean?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Vortex sights are by far the ones im interested in most that have been posted so far. If the SPARC was $50 less i would probably get it but its more than i want to spend. With the Vortex StrikeFire it says its "paralax free past 50 yards"

What does this mean?</div></div>
Parallax is an optical illusion which makes it look like the reticule (in this case, the red dot) moves independently of the target when you move your head around. If something is parallax free, this means you can move your head around and the dot will appear to be on the exact same plane as the target.
All scopes have some parallax. Magnified scopes that don't have a parallax adjustment are calibrated at the factory to be parallax free at a specific distance.
I don't know of any 1x optics (red dots, holographic sights, etc) that have enough parallax at any practical distance to be a problem. There will be some parallax, but it will be so minute that it wont' be noticeable. In other words, parallax free at any distance is something that should be expected.

So lets pretend i was "running and gunning" and there was a pop can at 20 yards. And i raised the gun to shoot the can would my cheek weld need to be in the perfect spot to be able to hit the can?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So lets pretend i was "running and gunning" and there was a pop can at 20 yards. And i raised the gun to shoot the can would my cheek weld need to be in the perfect spot to be able to hit the can? </div></div>
no.
As long as you can see the dot, you're good to go.

The only thing i dont like about the primary is: #1 the quick detach base i could just see it snagging on me and falling without noticing. #2 it looks (since i havent seen one in person) that it would be small and be like looking through a drinking straw.

And then im still not sure how it does in direct light

what is the primary arms m4 style red dot like?

Another big +1 to Primary Arms. If you do a quick internet search for Primary Arms red dot you'll find a lot of good reviews on them, you can also find a lot of reviews on youtube of them. I have one of the micro reflex green dot sights mounted on my Ruger Mark III 22/45 and have no problem seeing it in bright sunlight, it's a great little sight at an even better price.

I have the Strikefire on my AR and just ordered another one today from Primaryarms.com for my Smith MP15 22. It was a toss up this time around between the Vortex and PA M3. They both get great reviews so I don't think you can go wrong with either. I read a review on the Vortex before I ordered my first one from a service member that had just returned home from overseas. He had a Aimpoint overseas and a Vortex on his personal weapon at home. His words were I wouldn't take the Vortex to war but I don't need an Aimpoint at home.

Primaryarms.com was the best price I could find on the Vortex 149.00 free shipping. I have ordered both of mine from them

Big thumbs up on the Primaryarms m4 style red dot. I have one and so do a couple of friends of mine.. best 100 dollar red dot you can buy IMO

Ok before i start getting too many more different recomendations what would you pick?

Vortex Strikefire

Primary Arms M3

Primary Arms M4

I like the M4 becuase of its different reticles be kinda handy for different uses but its a bit heavy. I like both the M3 and M4 because they are cheaper. Like the vortex because im sure its "you get what you pay for"

I bought the Vortex Strikefire and had buyers remorse by the time I got home. I absolutely did not like the mount. I thought it looked bad on my AR. It just kind of stuck up there in the air, way to high. I believe there is a lower mount available. Needless to say, it went back the next day. It was just a looks thing. If the Sparc had been available, I would have bought it.

Of the two from primary, I like the M4 style the best. I like it for the choice of reticle and I also like the single AA battery requirement. Try and find the LR44 batteries in the 99 cent store in Podunk Arkansas. You can find the AA battery in the 99 cent store.

I have not looked through either of the Primary red dots that you listed. However I was at the range shooting about three weeks ago with a friend, and there was a guy there with the same rifle that you are going to put these on. He had another red dot that he had gotten from Primary, we looked through this setup and everything looked good.

I have bought from Primary in the past, and you can't go wrong with them. Great communication all the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the CS like at Primary? </div></div>

Primary Arms has some of the best Customer Service that I've dealt with. They take a lot of pride in providing great CS and it shows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wind50cal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for Ultra Dot. Been using them for years. Repeatable positive clicks!

Wind </div></div>

Make that +2. I have several UltraDot MatchDots. I run 2 on Ruger MkII pistols and another on a 1911. The dot size can be dialed from 2moa to 8moa on mine. I think there are other size options available.
I use mine in NRA Bullseye Pistol and steel falling plate matches. They are easy to see in bright sun and on a cloudy day. There is no shift in poi when changing dot size. I like the small dot for longer range shooting- like 50 yard bullseye and longer. I usually use the 6moa dot for shooting plates at 25 yards.
They have an unconditional lifetime warranty.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nostyta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Primary Arms has some of the best Customer Service that I've dealt with. They take a lot of pride in providing great CS and it shows.</div></div>
This.
When I made my first order through them, I ordered a mount that wouldn't have allowed me to co-witness with irons. They called me to make sure that was actually what I wanted before they shipped it to me.
Awesome folks.

If i went with either the M3 or M4 what base would i want?

And while ive got your attention what exactly is co-wittness? my best guesstimate after reading around here is that if the irons and the red dot are on the gun at the same time i should still be able to use my irons? and if its 1/3 my irons will still be usable they will just be in the bottom 1/3 section of the red dot?

I just read your OP again. The UltraDots I have are used on pistols. I have no idea how they would mount and work on an AR.
I do have a Les Baer flattop AR15. For now I have a C-More railway on it. I get an absolute co-witness using the original carry handle.
When I have decided on a better optic the C-More will go back in the drawer but it works pretty well.

Jim

alrighty all thanks for the help, ive gotta get the gun first but i think im going to go with a Primary M3 or M4 which ever is in stock when i get enough.

primary arms makes a good one, and most of the clone eotechs and acog's work great for a .22 all for under 200.00

spend a little extra and get the Vortex SPARC. You'll love it.

i bought a primary arms M3 clone. it's holding its zero on a Ruger Gunsite carbine. so far i'm very impressed with it.

I've never used the PA myself, my buddy has one on his AR, he really enjoys it. He's had it for over a year without any issues.