• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best bang for the buck scope?

Atmosfear

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2010
Tacoma, WA
I was excited to finally take my new rifle out and start participating in the monthly rimfire competitions.

I picked up a Savage MkII TRR-SR a few months ago and got about 5 good days of shooting in before the days got too short to hit the range on the way home from work.

I absolutely love the rifle however I foolishly spent too much money on a scope that doesnt do what I need it to.

I bought a Leupold VX2 Rimfire EFR CDS 3-9x scope. Its a great scope and I am happy with its performance with the rifle out to 100 yds. Unfortunately out to 200 yds it just wont do the job.

I'd like to pick up something else, a 5-20x or 6-24x but would like all of your input to help ensure I dont waste any more money.

Thanks in advance!

-Harley

Re: Best bang for the buck scope?

33 people looked at this and no input?

I have done some research and have some candidates, I am just looking for some suggestions from those that have had success with a particular scope that didnt break the bank.

I feel if I would have done this prior to buying the VX-2 I wouldnt be asking now.

best bang for the buck 5-20 or 6-24... SWFA or Vortex...

the reason you're not getting a lot of feedback, the OP makes it seem like you want a cheap 5-20 or 6-24... well, those would just be cheap, not a good bang for the buck...

and what exactly is wrong w/ the VX-2... sounds like you think you need more magnification... but honestly, a lot of us here shoot 22s well past 200yds (4-450) w/ a 10x Bushnell Elite 3200

I'm a big fan of the SWFA 10x, but even cheaper, and fine for a 22, is a few offerings from Millett.

looking into a falcon menace 22 scope to match the mil hash on my 308's PSt Viper scope.
swfa.com if you find it cheaper elsewhere price match and beat.

The "best bang for your buck" is subjective dependent on your budget (which you haven't indicated clearly).

As previously stated the SWFA and Vortex PST lines of scopes are two to seriously look into if your glass budget is $900-$1200. However, if your glass budget is more on par with the cost of your rifle, <span style="text-decoration: underline">for the money</span>, I would recommend the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 with Vplex wide reticule:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviper6-20x44

The VPlex wide model is exclusive to Cameraland NY (a Hide sponsor) and at $279 with free shipping pretty hard to beat. At the $430 price point for the Mil-Dot and BDC reticules; there are likely better options out there. Glass wise it's a $325-$350 scope with side parallax adjustment(50yds min) and very positive clicks on the turrets (capped).

I run a Vortex PST and HS LR 6-24x on my competition centerfires and the 6.5-20x on all my rimfires. I have four rimfires that I shoot way too often to be swapping the scope between them and the centerfires, hence they each have their own scope. I also happen to like Vortex (yes I've drunk lots of their Kool Aide), but there are other good options out there from the $400-$900 range...I just don't happen to own any of them to provide recommendations on.
smile.gif

Thanks to all of you for your input. I would like to stay in the $500 range and save the more expensive glass for a larger caliber rifle.

Perhaps I am being overzealous and should just work with what I have. I am a OIF veteran and have had plenty of trigger time. That said, it has all been real world engagements at fairly close quarters or at standard 300m pop up qual ranges or 25m paper quals. Also, I left the service in 07' and have spent little time behind a rifle since. To say I am rusty would be putting it mildly. I am eager to change that.

Aside from an ACOG, I have zero experience using a scope or shooting at any considerable distance. I bought this rifle/scope to use as a trainer to work my way up to long range precision shooting.

I had the fortunate opportunity to work with various JSOC teams, where I was able to pick up some valuable advice. Some of which was to pick up a quality .22 bolt gun and if I learned to shoot it with consistent accuracy I could directly apply to same skills to larger calibers at greater distances. I have seen the same sentiments echoed on this forum.

To answer a previous comment, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the VX2 I am presently using. Only that I have found it difficult to shoot out to 200 yds with it. Granted, I have only done in it on one occasion, approaching dusk on a rainy/foggy pacific northwest evening. Again, perhaps I am being overzealous and should just work with what I have for the time being.

I am always open and welcoming to more input/constructive criticism. I look forward to posting up paper in the comp threads and learning from all of you.

-Harley

The Vortex Viper is a really good option, I run the 6.5-20x50 on my Savage TR. Only wish I had gone with the mildot reticle instead of v-plex, makes life easier in the wind (which seems to be constant in these parts)

The only issue I have iwth my Simmons WTC 6.5-20x50AO is with the nut that twists the turrets. Can do skeet clays, etc at 200. Can see golf balls, but don't hit them often.

One scope I didn't mention as it has been notoriously out of stock is the Midway exclusive Viper 5-15x44 at $499.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183567/...t-reticle-matte

They are apparently back in stock as of now. It's been a well discussed scope here on the Hide:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3088139#Post3088139

Another thing I would recommend if you are just getting back into shooting in general and new to the LR stuff is to pick up Lowlight's new instructional DVD:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3701879#Post3701879

It covers the fundamentals of marksmanship as well as much of the equipment you would be looking at as you get farther into LR shooting.

Thanks for the advice Bunsen!

Coincidentally I had ordered the DVD about a week before starting this thread and it just arrived in the mail yesterday. I havent had a chance to view it yet but I am looking forward to it.

Not clear on "just won't do the job". Magnification is highly over rated. If you are running out of elevation then you need a canted rail at least 20MOA.
I reccomend VXIII 6.5-20 EFR, you certainly don't need more than 20 power for anything with a rimfire.
Our top junior shooter in 22TSC this year uses a Leupold EFR and he has whipped all our asses in the Gauntlet, shooting and dialing out to 240yds. Don't believe me, ask Bunsen...he has seen it first hand.

I love German glass but I keep buying pre 64 Winchesters so 80% of my scopes are older top tier Leupold scopes. For what u are doing the vx2 6x18 AO fine duplex with target turrets would be great..

bmt said:
Best bang for the Buck is a 12x or 20x SS fixed power.

BMT [/quote

I second the 12X SS. Finally got a 40X and slapped one of these on it for immediate hardcore plinking gratification. I'm very impressed with this piece of glass at the sub $300 price point. Only thing I second guess about it is whether or not I should have sprung for the side focus for an extra C note. Other than that very pleased with the mil quad reticle which is very fine and pretty decent tactile feedback from the turrets. Great for hitting a 1.5 inch steel spinner at 100 yards with about a mil and a half holdover without even really having to try. Haven't stretched it to 200 yet but won't be long and I have no readout to doubt that the magnification will be well more than enough at well beyond that distance.

Awesome buy for the money.