• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Barrel for 300aac sbr

mikeltee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2013
Fishers, IN
Well guys tis the season for threatening our rights. I recently sold a few heartbreaking pieces on here so now its time to build something. I know SBRs aren't our specialty but I trust you guys more with info than anyone on the planet.

I am a Wilson Combat guy. I have 6 1911s and 3 ARs. I have 2 matching billet WC receivers so I want to build a 300aac pistol. I have the can already and I want the rail to cover the barrel and can. This will mainly be for subsonic but I want the option for range if need be. I already have an 13.3 with brake pinned so looking at 8-9" possibly.

Here's the recommendations I need:

Which 300aac barrel and what length?

Piston build or traditional?

Which rail to cover the barrel and can?

Which handicap pistol brace/stock?

If this is your bread and butter please list price doesn't matter and best for the money.

Thanks fellas!

Last edited:
Ballistic Advantage, Noveske, CMMG, WIlson Combat all have worked well. WIlson has their 8” chrome lined barrels in stock right now.

All my 300BLKs are DI; piston can be harder to make work

I’ve lately been using carbon fiber hand guards because they are cool, both looking at and when shooting lots. The TacStar on my 350 Legend covers the GSL can nicely. I have a Coda Evolution that will go on my 6mm ARC build.

For uber short, add a LAW Tactical folder to it. The darn thing will fold up into a regular back pack if the can is off of it.

Ballistic Advantage for the money. Maybe CMMG if the price is right and it's the newer production with concentric threads. 8" or 8.2"

I haven't had any issues with DI. Wilson Combat is great for budget precision though. I've just never used their blk barrels.

I did a BA barrel, Noveske $99 dollar handguard and a delta upper from Joebob Outfitters for super cheap and it runs like a top with both subs and supers. I was going to use an adjustable gas block but didn't need to.

Reactions: mikeltee
I couldnt find a WIlson barrel configured like I wanted in stock anywhere when I was building mine, so instead I went with the Seekins 8in 300BO barrel for my DI SBR, along with a XS JP-SCS Maxim defense collapsible stock and a JP BCG and it runs great shooting 220 gr subsonics.

Reactions: mikeltee
I found AN 8" STAINLESS WC barrel for $170. Should I choose a chrome lined instead? I really don't want stainless but I could always armor tuff it when its done

I found AN 8" STAINLESS WC barrel for $170. Should I choose a chrome lined instead? I really don't want stainless but I could always armor tuff it when its done

Rattle can that thing. Or hit it with some alumahyde or something. Why chrome lined in a blackout? Are you planning to shoot supers full auto?

Screw it I bought it. stainless Wilson 8" for $180. Last one in stock. I figured I better jump on it before someone else reads this thread and finds it. Lmao

Last edited:
Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Rattle can that thing. Or hit it with some alumahyde or something. Why chrome lined in a blackout? Are you planning to shoot supers full auto?
No someone recommended it. I'll never go full auto. I'd never rattle can a Wilson Combat build brother but I wouldn't hold it against anyone that did. Lol

So it looks like I'll pass on the piston build. The braces are stupid expensive and I may not be so lucky to be able to get her to 100% reliability. You guys are a great help so far. Keep em coming.

Noveske makes a really good one. They're my goto for SBR barrels. Accurate and they function suppressed or not, supers or subs. May as well go with 8.5" or whatever (most suppressor mfg.'s will say not to go shorter, bullet may not stabilize well).

Factory rifle with 10.5":
IMG_0853.JPG

My PDW w/8.2":
IMG_1063.JPG

No someone recommended it. I'll never go full auto. I'd never rattle can a Wilson Combat build brother but I wouldn't hold it against anyone that did. Lol

Who's recommending chrome lined for the blackout? I don't think I'll ever own a chrome lined barrel again unless I'm blessed with a transferable lower. Maybe on a 5.56 that gets shot fast, a lot. Not on a blackout though... especially if you're shooting a lot of subs. It'd take a loooong time to wear a stainless barrel out.

I'm planning for a 300BO build as well and filing a form 1 for SBR and skipping the pistol thing. I am going with a 10.5" barrel, specifically the Faxon Match stainless 416R black nitrided with 5R rifling and a 1:8 twist. I have a 16" 223 Wylde version on my AR15 and it's great. Both are a "gunner" profile which is basically a heavier profile from the gas block back but pencil up front. I intend to shoot mostly subs with the 300BO so no need for a heavy profile and it centers the mass. Figure the 10.5" will give me a bit more carry than say an 8" and it'll ensure all the powder burns before the projectile exits the barrel. I've read it needs 9" of length.

I'm using a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block so I can dial in the gas and it will be suppressed with a flow-through OSS 762 Ti (when it arrives in a year).

I'm SBR'ing the 5.56 lower for the time being given the current state of things, plus it's an ambi lower with a bunch of high end parts that'll work with the 300BO as well as it'll shoot supersonic 5.56.

The BCG is a lightweight Rubber City Armory titanium group with POF roller pin. This'll make it easier to cycle reliably with subs and it works with the 5.56 as well.

I'm still debating hand guards but leaning heavily towards either a CODA Evolution carbon or a Smoke Composites carbon hand guard. I really like the way the CODA mounts, rock solid with timing not required. I have one on the 5.56 upper now. Either one will fit over my suppressor but the smoke will give a tad more clearance. Looking at carbon as I may have the hand guard extend past the silencer a bit and I won't have to worry about heating up an aluminum hand guard. I want the hand guard to extend to make rigging up the Magnetospeed chronograph easier as it has to be placed a certain distance from where the bullet exits the muzzle. Plus I just like the look of a guard over the suppressor.

If I decide to go with a shorter version in aluminum, it'll probably be the VSeven 2099 enlightened hand guard. Lots of space to get an Allen wrench in there to adjust the gas block if needed.

The parts list is complete. I'll post pics once she's Assembled. I waited til today to hopefully scoop up some black Friday deals:

WC billet upper and lower bronze
Wc stainless 1-7 8" stainless barrel
WC lower build kit
WC Oversize trigger guard
WC dust cover and parts
WC BCM Grip
SB Tactical SBPDW Pistol Stabilizing Brace
WC TTU single stage 3.5# trigger
Gas Block Wilson low profile
Gas tube pistol length
Midwest Industries SP series 12" handguard
Noveske Buffer H2 and carbine spring
Fail zero BiN BCG
Wc 7.65 Whisper titanium can.

Got about $1700 in parts invested aside from the can I've had for damn near a decade I never shot. That includes a few tools I bought because I've lost over the decade: I needed the receiver rod anyways because the Billit receiver. Those armorers blocks won't tighten down and scratch the finish.
REAL AVID armored wrench
Midwest Industries Upper Receiver Rod

Last edited:
...if you plan for the 12" handguard on an 8" barrel, I'd recommend the ID (inside diameter) of the handguard be large enough to allow your suppressor to actually fit inside the handguard without touching and have enough clearance to account for heat expansion of the suppressor when firing.

Speaking of heat, let us know how hot the hand guard gets. Tucked suppressors look cool, but get hot...

Reactions: r.tenorio671
Yea guys I don't think it's gonna work out. I'm already rolling the dice with a can OD 1/16 larger than the handguards ID. I could get lucky and hope for bad tolerances on the handguard or I could file it down but then there's the heat issue as well as expansion. I am going to just order a 7.3" for this build and have the can exposed.

Right now I am contemplating keeping the 12" for maybe a sbr 223 build but a 223 can does nothing for an AR but possibly give you bragging rights and I ain't into bragging rights so it's probably going back.

Another consideration of keeping it that I have big hands and since this handguard is much wider than a traditional handguard, maybe I will slap it on one of my other ARs to see if its more comfortable.

I am not the type of guy to send stuff back as it raises costs for everyone. I know returns are built into the price but if more guys acted like me maybe the price wouldn't be so damn high. It makes me mad as hell when someone orders 4 of something knowing damn well they are just going to keep one. Get off your lazy ass and go try it out first.

To each their own I suppose.

Thanks for your comments, recommendations, and opinions guys. I will post this bad boy once its done. I realize this is snipers hide and we are all about 1 hole 5 shot groups, but this is not the purpose of this build. I just trust you all more than anyone else on the internet for advice even though accuracy is not the key here. Wilson Combat builds are no slouches though in this department! I can easily see this being a 1noa gun even with an 8" barrel... to 100 only.... lol

Seekins 8”
The hand guard is nice because the can goes inside.
639A7428-7625-4A8D-A7D0-05756452AF8B.jpeg

20201206_221250.jpg
20201206_221222.jpg

She's coming along nicely. Waiting on the gas block, tube and handguard. I'm not sure if I want to go with a flashlight or buis yet. I'll probably do buis because that tiny Vortex is just that.... tiny. I may slap an eotech on there.

Reactions: darkfader
What makes you say that a can does nothing for a 223? No, it’s not going to make it movie quiet, but it will surely make it more pleasant to shoot. And, that 300 black out isn’t going to be movie quiet either. Dropping the bolt/cycling isn’t exactly quiet, discounting blast flowing back through the opening action...

She will fit in my rush 72 with no can and compressed Brace. I'm still deciding on a small Vortex reddot or eotech. I'm still waiting on the failsafe coated TiN bcg as well. I threw one I had laying around in there. She has great action. That 4# WC TTU trigger feels a little heavy. I am gonna swap it with a 3# WC 3gun I have in another build. I'm happy. I'll probably get the handguard armor tuffed to match the sheen of the Upper and Lower. I'm looking forward to some range time with her to see if she will cycle in all 4 modes. I don't ever see the can coming off though... she's really balanced with it. I appreciate all the help guys!

20201215_232103.jpg
20201215_232021.jpg
20201215_231923.jpg

Damn it I just took it out in my boat and it fell overboard. Oh well. At least I won't have Biden knocking on my door asking me for my Brace. Good riddance new friend. May you lie in peace at the bottom of the ocean.

What makes you say that a can does nothing for a 223? No, it’s not going to make it movie quiet, but it will surely make it more pleasant to shoot. And, that 300 black out isn’t going to be movie quiet either. Dropping the bolt/cycling isn’t exactly quiet, discounting blast flowing back through the opening action...

You are absolutely right. My statement that a 223 can shooting supersonic is worthless. It does hide your position, makes a little less noise, and Wilson Combat states that theirs actually increases accuracy, which is why I bought a WC can for my WC AR. Thank you for correcting me.

I'm planning a 9" w/ 8" MCMR rail if they're ever available again. Can under the handguard isn't my thing, maybe I'll change flavors in the future.