• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns best battle knife?

donniedee

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2011
dripping springs texas
looking for ideas for a battle blade im looking for advice on a nice well made thick blade fixed blade knife with a paracord handle any thoughts? or pics thanks

Re: best battle knife?

The Master is dead now but his son is still making um.

Phill Hartsfield Jr. They ain't pretty but I would put my personal ones up against any other makers with 100% confidence.

Both ok factory knives but the OP asked for BEST.

I'd suggest checking out Dawson Knives, they make some very good knives that are well tested by people who use them hard.
Not the most cool looking knives but ones that you can count on when you need them the most.

Dawson Knives

Dawson's are ok but pricey for what you get.

Striders are nice, I liked them a lot better before he became known and prices went a little out of hand for what you get.

If you have time to kill and can wait a Randall Model 18-Attack Survival isn't a bad option.

But you want best so that leaves Phill Hartsfield!

By the way Mick learned a lot from Phill.

Steve Woods makes a decent one
wink.gif
seriously though, what the hell is a battle knife?

I am thinking the OP means fighting knife

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously? Have you seen the Strider knives? Talk about a battle knife; they don't have too many peers.

phenominal knives
</div></div>Except Mick Strider is a piece of shit.

I have a Custom Carry from Coty Handley. The knife is a beast. It hasn't left my vest since I got it. It's been used for everything you can think of. I highly recommend his knives.

Mad dog is the best but you pay at least 600 for

Busse and swamp rat

Then

Strider, chris reeves, misson

Yes Mick is an asshole but so are alot of highend gun/knife makers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve Woods makes a decent one
wink.gif
seriously though, what the hell is a battle knife? </div></div>

+1 on both fronts...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macman2564</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Custom Carry from Coty Handley. The knife is a beast. It hasn't left my vest since I got it. It's been used for everything you can think of. I highly recommend his knives. </div></div>

Agreed his work is very nice. Mine is a light technical and it has been a solid knife. He is a regular dude, nice guy.

I don't own any but the Winkler knives and axes are very heavy duty and exceptional.

I have used and abused a number of high end knives. Busse combat is legendary for ruggedness. I have a Busse that landed me in in ER, and another that I have used to make enough firewood for four fires. I have had 5-6. I wouldn't use them in a fight, as none of them have a pointed tip. I am under the understanding that in a knife fight there is a lot of slashing but it is generally the stabbing that gets the job done? In that case, I would bring my Strider MT-10. Better blade design IMO for that.

By the way, paracord handles suck. I replaced mine with Monkey Edge frags and it turned a knife from being for sale to riding my bag.
20121203_105549.jpg

A final thought- bring a gun if you are planning for trouble.

Yeah, its an MT-10. The "10" means its 10 feet long. You didn't know that?

Seems like most knives just aren't what they used to be.

More time spent spraying colors on them than grinding them out.

Para cord handles, when you absolutely have no clue what happens when you work a knife hard with wet hands.

Then there is the whole nose defense thing...

notsomuch_zps4a6888bf.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously? Have you seen the Strider knives? Talk about a battle knife; they don't have too many peers.

phenominal knives
</div></div>Except Mick Strider is a piece of shit. </div></div>

....both key players at Strider have made it on POWNetwork.org, not the best PR.....

Check out crusader forge, and I can't lie I do have a good feeling every time I unsheathe one of my striders.

Best battle knife?????

Maybe I'm being too practical but in my opinion it would be the Armys M-9 bayonet.

It's got a lot more uses then knife fighting (which I don't see me doing if I got a rifle - you know, taking a knife to a gun fight). But in a pinch it would work.

It's got a great wre cutter system, heavy enough for prying and can be used as a hammer (I use the one in my colection for fixing fences and take it with me in leu of a hammer for pounding in tent stakes for my mountain tent).

Also great for digging, never dug a fox hole with one, but I've dug more then my shared using the M-7 bayonet in SE Asia.

Also would work for toasting bread over a fire.

I bit heavier then I like (I like the weight of the M-7 since I did more carrying then cutting.

I guess if one was in clined he could put it on the end of his rifle also.
M9.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best battle knife?????

Maybe I'm being too practical but in my opinion it would be the Armys M-9 bayonet.

It's got a lot more uses then knife fighting (which I don't see me doing if I got a rifle - you know, taking a knife to a gun fight). But in a pinch it would work.

It's got a great wre cutter system, heavy enough for prying and can be used as a hammer (I use the one in my colection for fixing fences and take it with me in leu of a hammer for pounding in tent stakes for my mountain tent).

Also great for digging, never dug a fox hole with one, but I've dug more then my shared using the M-7 bayonet in SE Asia.

Also would work for toasting bread over a fire.

I bit heavier then I like (I like the weight of the M-7 since I did more carrying then cutting.

I guess if one was in clined he could put it on the end of his rifle also.
M9.JPG
</div></div>

Do you know the business card test? If so try it with your bayonet. I bet it fails! The bayonet is a very poor design for a tool designed primarily for stabbing. Also I don't need to weaken my blade by removing materail from the blade in order for it to cut wire. One swipe of a good knife will cut right thru wire with ease. So that leaves slashing which the grip isn't well designed for. Overall a very poorly designed tool in my opinion.

"Business card" test is reserved especially for knives that wont pass the "thinnest yellow receipt paper you can find" test.

Becky, come and look at this...the wire Kraig is talking about is heavy fence wire, you know, barb wire gauge, I think this other gentleman's "One swipe of a good knife will cut right thru wire with ease" is referring to his belief that what needs cutting is light electrical wire. Does he think these are used by guys stringing out a second set of speakers? Your right, I forgot, it is a holiday, school is definitely out.

"The bayonet is a very poor design for a tool designed primarily for stabbing" and " slashing which the grip isn't well designed for" makes it up on the SH Wall of Wonders. Things have clearly changed in the Armory State.

thCAJWPSBR_zps356d66ec.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know the business card test? If so try it with your bayonet. I bet it fails! The bayonet is a very poor design for a tool designed primarily for stabbing. Also I don't need to weaken my blade by removing materail from the blade in order for it to cut wire. One swipe of a good knife will cut right thru wire with ease. So that leaves slashing which the grip isn't well designed for. Overall a very poorly designed tool in my opinion.</div></div>

My mistake, I thought the topic was combat knives, or knives useful in combat. Didn't get many business cards when I was in Vietnam, but I had a good pocket knife that would cut right through them and shave the hair on your arm.

US_camp_knife.jpg

That puppy would pass your BC test, but it wasn't worth a hoot for digging fox holes, nor would it cut concentina wire, or the wire off a case of c-rats. Never did get into a knife fight over there, but if I did, I'd probably would have put my M-7 bayonet on the end of my rifle. But again, I've never been one to take a knife to a gun fight.

I'm just an old has been now, doubt I'll ever be in combat again, or at least anything I can't handle with my pocket revolver, but around here, the the M-9 paired with some fencing plyers, work pretty good mending fences.

I know its had to argue that a bayonet will not work. However because something works doesn't make it ideal. I love how people want to argue something instead of offering something of actual value to the OP. But I can say that I am greatful that people have opinions and are free to express them. I am even more greatful of those that have realized the short comings of designs. Then took the time and effort to take them from something that worked, to something that works really well.

I guess if your ok with settling then a piece of spring steel from and old car sharpened would do the job too.

Im kind of suprised no one has brought up the Becker BK7, it is a great combat/utility knife, especially for the money. Then theres always Esee 6, which is in some ways a step up. I dont think I would ever put paracord on the handle of a hard use knife though. Or if you just got money to blow you can always get a Fehrman or Busse kin? Scrapyard 711 would be tops IMHO, if you can find one. It just depends on what your definition your budget and intent of use with the knife. Best of luck in your search.

I carried a Chris Reeves "Green Beret" for nearly 8yrs. My favorite knife accept if you happen to have to cut anything electrical...
gbspecialopsheath.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I guess if your ok with settling then a piece of spring steel from and old car sharpened would do the job too. </div></div>

.....the old Philippines knives were made of just that and good field knives ( chopping/digging/hammering) which most "battle knives" are used for. A pry bar with an edge is a lot more practical in that environment than some kind of wire cutting miracle blade. Unless your battlefield specialty is silent sentry elimination or trip wire/alarm by-passing or some other ninja-ish skill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RETE8</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I guess if your ok with settling then a piece of spring steel from and old car sharpened would do the job too. </div></div>

.....the old Philippines knives were made of just that and good field knives ( chopping/digging/hammering) which most "battle knives" are used for. A pry bar with an edge is a lot more practical in that environment than some kind of wire cutting miracle blade. Unless your battlefield specialty is silent sentry elimination or trip wire/alarm by-passing or some other ninja-ish skill. </div></div>

I have one of those old Philippine knives. They are crude but they work to some degree.

My point is when you ask for the best, that weeds out a lot of things that work. Which leaves things that have been refined by modern materials, good heat treating, and better design.

Another thing to think about is the primary role of the knife because "battle knife" is a broad term. To me a battle knifes primary role is that of a fighting knife. Why? Because I have an E-Tool to dig with if I should need to dig a hole. I have a good pair of dikes to cut wire.

My days of going off to war are over now, but when I was younger and in the Corps I went with the tools I needed to do the jobs I thought I would be required to do. I am in the camp to use the right tool for the job, even if that requires a few extra pounds of gear. However sometimes even when you think you have your bases cover you end up needing to adapt and improvise. Thats why knowledge and training trumps quality gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the primary role of the knife because "battle knife" is a broad term. To me a battle knifes primary role is that of a fighting knife. Why? Because I have an E-Tool to dig with if I should need to dig a hole. I have a good pair of dikes to cut wire.</div></div>

In reality, how many "knife fights" do our troops get involved in during a battle?

I know I'm not the only one who has dealt with concertina wire in a combat zone. dikes don't cut that sort of wire as well as the wire cutting part added to the M-9 Bayonet and its scabbard.

Entrenching tools are heavy, you can carry a lot of ammo by ditching that weight, but then I was infantry when infantry walked.

There were times I got "volunteered" to crawl down some slimy hole dug by little bandits a lot smaller then me ( and I was quite small back then). I had to use the M-7 (didn't have the M-9 back then) to wiggle that hole a bit so I could climb through.

Maybe I'm lazy, but as an infantryman, weight, or lack there of, means a lot.

I just can't phantom soldiers doing that much knife fighting but if necessary bayonets would work........been working for hundreds of years.

I have laid out more concertina wire then I care to remember. All we ever used were a pair of dikes. Never had a single problem with it.

As to how many knife fights they get into. Your guess is as good as mine. I just know that should whatever that percentage is was to arrise I want to be prepared and well equiped for it.

As to weight that got the Army in Somilia into trouble. This isn't second hand either as I was there. Sucks but it is reality.

What about the Buck Nighthawk? Ive got on and I can tell you that it's not expensive, it's well made, and I would put it up against any custom knife for functionality. It holds edge well. Plus if you ever have to use it on a bad guy like in the pic above, if he runs away with it your not out half a grand!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GrantA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bm11, that pic had me scratching my head for a minute- looks like a sword laying at your feet! </div></div>

Hahaha, took me a while to get it after you pointed it out