• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Bench Rest Bipod Setup ... Any Advice?

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I use Atlas V8-B10 bipods and shoot from a (wooden) bench most of the time with pretty hefty calibers (300-WM, 338-LM, etc.). My bipods always "jump left" making it really hard to spot my own hits and misses. Has anybody found an easy solution to this? Will replacing the rubber feet with spikes help? I'm considering buying a Lyman rubber shooting mat (for grip) and the Atlas BT37 spiked feet. Has anybody tried a combination like this to improve post-shot bench stability?

check your setup? are you square to the target?
    typically if the rifle jumps at all, it is because it isn't allowed to recoil straight back.

Reactions: DMP and Kasey
    I think muzzle break choice may make more difference than bipod depending on what you're using

You need to shoot from behind the bench not from the side verifying that you are square to the rifle.
    Most benches are set up to put you on the side of the rifle not behind it.
    It seems that you have your left shoulder forward causing the rifle butt to slip to the right so the muzzle moves left.

Reactions: DMP
    Prone and spiked feet along with a good muzzle brake keep my scope on paper at 100 yards with my 300 norma improved hunting rifle. Before the spiked feet it would buck and jump left no matter what I did.

I use an Atlas bipod with a foam pad about 1" thick. Seems to work well.

I use an Atlas bipod with a foam pad about 1" thick. Seems to work well.
    That's a good idea. Gonna try the "rubber pad - spiked feet" thing first, and then go to the foam idea if necessary. All the advice about line-up and square shoulders is helpful ... thought I was doing that but clearly need to concentrate more on that body position.

I use Atlas V8-B10 bipods and shoot from a (wooden) bench most of the time with pretty hefty calibers (300-WM, 338-LM, etc.). My bipods always "jump left" making it really hard to spot my own hits and misses. Has anybody found an easy solution to this? Will replacing the rubber feet with spikes help? I'm considering buying a Lyman rubber shooting mat (for grip) and the Atlas BT37 spiked feet. Has anybody tried a combination like this to improve post-shot bench stability?

Harris bipod with Hawk Hill spiked feet. They work well on the COSSA tabletops.