• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best (better?) caliber for a shorty build? (Short action)

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    I've wanted a 16"-18" bolt action for some time now, and decided I want to start it. So first things first; which caliber is best for the barrel length? Will be used for paper punching/steel ringing to 500-600 and hunting medium game at a max range of 250-300. Only stipulation is it has to be done on a 700 short action.

308 is probably easiest, but is it best? What would I need to do to run a 6.8 SPC? Possible on a 700 footprint?

Last edited:
    BEST is a four letter word around here. 308 for a shorty is a good choice, the 6.5CM would work but I would prefer a 20" tube. I have seen plenty short barreled (20") 243s and they work, but you sacrifice one of the best attributes of the 6 and that's velocity.

You can do a 6.8 SPC with a PTG bolt if you already have a Rem 700 SA, could also do a 6.5 Grendel with PTG bolt.

I've done a 6.5 Grendel on 700, fun little rifle though that one has pretty long barrel. Could easily do a 16-18" barrel and run 130s about 2550 fps.
    Remington did make 700s in 6.8 SPC so you might look for one to try or use action for a build.

I've got a 7BR that is pretty fun.

30 BR would be cool.

308 from a 16-18" bbl is going to be hard to beat IMHO. I did some 165 TSX from an 18" barrel (shorter lead customer chamber, aftermarket barrel) that were stepping right along. I'll have to go find chrono notes for velocity.
    Going down in bore size means going step slower in burn rate, which works against you with a shorter barrel.
    7-08 would be in mix for sure.

Call Chad Dixon at Long Rifles Inc.

Ask him about IVAN.

I have an 18" bolt action 700 in 308 and a buddy has a 16" 700 in 308 that we use exactly like you mention and then some

I'm looking to start the same build. I am leaning toward the 308 or possibly 7mm-08

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6x45 or 7.62x40. Both are optimized for shortish barrels and would work well in a model 700 with .223 bolt face.

22-250 rem is going to be your best bet. I had a varmint special that i turned down to 22 inches for truck rock chuck hunting gun. it worked great with faster burning powder and 50-55 gr bullets anything at 300 yards vaporized. For longer ranges i would use any boat tail bullet i could find at the time. Anything beyond 600 id thread up a 1-8 or a 1-9 twist 22-24in and punch out 75 gr A-maxes or them Speer 70 grainers. Thats my personal opinion.

22-250 is a mean mofo when set up right.

There hard on barrels as well if you abuse the bore.

speed kills.

Jim

For hunting and bullet selection and barrel life you can't beat 308. 708 and 260 give you a little less off the shelf selection for better trajectories. All of these work great in a short barrel losing very little velocity compared to a magnum catridge short barrel combo