• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best bolt action .22LR for fun practice?

For the money I like the Savage FV SR. I have two of them.

cz 452, 455 I like the varmint thumbholes, there accurate, reasonably priced, very reliable, virtually indestructible & sell on well again

It all depends on how much you want to spend and how accurate you want it to be. The sky is the limit on .22 lr's!

Was looking at the CZ's since they are supposably the closest to a .308 bolt. Trying to stick the the $500 range or less.
Thanks for everyone's input!

With ammunition availability, and cost of 22lr. You might look at 17hmr.....

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

love my ruger american rimfire. .5" 10 shot groups at 50yds if that is good enough for you. i have tried reaching out to 100, but i have been inconsistent so far.

the CZ 455V is kinda finiky out of the box but when you get all the torque settings set and maybe pillar glass bed it will shoot very well and is a great trainer,,if you can find a CZ 452 V I would take it over the 455,,

here is one of my 455 V I used as a long range trainer and it shot very well..the scope is 4.5-14 LR M1 in Burris rings with 20 MOA taper inserts and JNP adapters,,,with a 100 yard zero it had almost 90 minutes on the knobs with a 100 yard zero,,

Nice, almost looks as nice as my Sako P94S. Almost. Referring to mrbig's CZ 455V

Last edited:
With ammunition availability, and cost of 22lr. You might look at 17hmr.....

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Match .22lr ammo is still out there at less than $10/50ct box, you just have to play hide and seek for it. It will come back once the prepper/hoarder craze goes the way of counter-zombie operations. .17HMR is great for varmints, but not the best for training due to ammo inconsistencies, long term cost, wind call training and showing marksmanship fundamentals inconsistencies.

OP, I don't know if you read up in the rimfire forum here much, but there are a ton of threads in this line of questioning. CZ is the budget favorite with Savage a close second, but they can get expensive if you want to start tricking it out. If you think you will end up going this route, then an Anschutz 64MP R may be the more cost efficient path to chasing accuracy. Stocks, triggers and barrels start to add up quick in costs.

CZ455. Great out of the box and easy to change the barrel to a Lilja if you are so inclined.

CZ-452 if you can find one for a reasonable price. Mine will practically bughole 5 shot groups at 100 yards - one slightly enlarged hole.

my favorite are Marlin XT-22(left) and Savage MKII F (right)
11524873835_552663c7d3_z.jpg

Anschutz
Sako Quad
PWS T3

Those are my favorite rimfires. The PWS certainly doesn't give you the "training" aspect as it pertains to bolt manipulation and such... but they shoot great and are mega fun! Excellent 17HM2 hosts. We have several PWS T3's in stock, and will have custom barrels available in 17HM2 and 22LR by mid-summer.

T3 Summit Rimfire

Like orkan said.. anschutz is what i got.. give um tenex 10 ammo and youl feel like your shooting precision rifle.. accurate n fun

Savage TR with the boyds stock is nice too.

What he said. I had the FV-SR but hated the plastic stock and 16" barrel. It may be good to hunt with if you are concerned about weight. I ended up getting the MKII TRR which comes with the longer barrel and boyd stock. The accutrigger is one of the best "stock" triggers I have used. The CZ is also a great choice. I have never shot one but heard good things. Here is a look at the comparison between the FV-SR and TRR. Note: the TRR is about twice the money and comes with an terrible scope rail:

[video=youtube;kIUb2Gts-a0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIUb2Gts-a0[/video]

Last edited:
Looking for a bolt action .22LR to simulate/practice with. Suggestions? Experiences?

Since you didn't indicate any limits on cost, I would go with Black Ops Precision Ravage Rimfire. Never shot one. With a price tag of $4,725 I probably never will. But if it shoots and handles like the .223 Rem barreled action I got from Underground Skunkworks (now Black Ops Precision), it should be a helluva rifle. Looks and handles just like a full-sized centerfire, judging from the photos.

Since you didn't indicate any limits on cost, I would go with Black Ops Precision Ravage Rimfire. Never shot one. With a price tag of $4,725 I probably never will. But if it shoots and handles like the .223 Rem barreled action I got from Underground Skunkworks (now Black Ops Precision), it should be a helluva rifle. Looks and handles just like a full-sized centerfire, judging from the photos.

Too bad they are going through some serious issues. As far as I know they never actually released the rimfire action. There's a lot of talk about it. It's too bad though...the Ravage would have made one hell of a 17HMR