• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Budget 22lr

duotone

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2012
Shheze.... I just became a member and I already posted in the wrong section..... I posted this in the bolt action area before I realized there's a rim fire section....

New here.... thanks for having me.

I'm also new to guns, so please be kind.

I'm also a dad, and my son and I started shooting our new Remington 597, which we both enjoy a lot. My son (12) seems to be a natural sniper, and me? It's all I can think about.

I'd like to get a bolt action so I can use CCI quiets, 'cuz I can't afford a suppressor.... and I have my eyes on the Savage Bolts:

Mark II TR or the MARKIIBTVS

What I'd like to know is, are these good rifles for 100yrds? I realize a lot of it has to do with the ammo, and most importantly, the shooter, but if I get the right ammo, and I do my part, how are these rifles?

Secondly, what other suggestions do you have for a newbie, and what other bolt actions do you suggest in the same price range?

Thank you.

Re: Best Budget 22lr

My choice was for a CZ. I started my daughter out on a CZ452 Scout and for christmas she is getting a CZ452 American (scout will move to my 7yr old son). The CZ is a great rifle and very accurate.

Definitely go with the Savage MKII, they've been proven to be half-MOA capable.

Here's most of a post in wrote a while back, quoting several prominent shooters showing how accuracy the MKII's are:

No particular order:

<span style="color: #FF0000">0.4 MOA</span> Chuck Hawks says his MK II BV had a factory target of 0.4" at 100 yds (with Fed Gold Medal).
http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_markII-BV_rifle.htm

<span style="color: #FF0000">0.4 MOA Savage factory test shooter
025 MOA from Chuck Hawks at 102 yds!!!</span>
Chuck Hawks then goes and gets a MK II BSEV, with another .4 inch factory target at 100yds. But here's his claim, quoted directly from his website:
<span style="color: #3366FF">"It threw shots into a nickel-sized hole at forty yards with most everything I fed it and in a later range session shot repetitive sub-quarter inch groups. This was with Lapua 36 grain HP ammunition at a laser-verified 102 yards."</span>
http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_bsev.htm

<span style="color: #FF0000">0.38 MOA best group</span>
Gun Test for Outdoor life says this about their MK II (using Remington Eley and CCI Green Tag ammo):
<span style="color: #3366FF">"After the gun was sighted-in at 50 yards in a test tunnel, the first four 5-shot groups measured .191, .202, .263 and .260 inches, for an average of .229 inches."</span>
http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/gear/shooting/2008/06/gun-test-08?photo=6

<span style="color: #FF0000">0.625 MOA</span> Jeff Quinn off of Gunblast says this about his MK II BV at 50 yds: <span style="color: #3333FF">"The worst group of the day measured just seven-eighths of an inch. That was the worst. The best measured just five-sixteenths of an inch, which was repeatable with that ammo all day long. "</span> If he got 5/16ths all day long, it's not much of a stretch to say that occassionally he got a 4/16th group in there once in a while, but we won't fluff the claim, 5/16ths (with Win-Olin ammo) it is.
http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-MarkIIBV22.htm

<span style="color: #FF0000">0.5MOA at 50 yds</span>
But how about a little home turf representation, here's <span style="color: #009900">VYD on SNIPERS HIDE</span> with a 0.25" at 50 yds (with premium Eley/Fed Gold Medal/Wolf ammo) claim, with pictures:
<span style="color: #3366FF">"5 shots, yes, it is usually between .25" to .37" at 50 yards if I do my part and if the weather permits.
"</span>
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2140385

CZ in either 452 (if you can find one), 453 (if you feel like splurging for the set trigger), or 455.

American or Varmint is your choice. The varmint is a little shorter and heavier barreled. It's geared more toward a bench gun than the American.

You didn't specify a budget.

The CZ will run in the $4-500 range depending on what you pick.

They're worth every single penny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definitely go with the Savage MKII, they've been proven to be half-MOA capable.

Here's most of a post in wrote a while back, quoting several prominent shooters showing how accuracy the MKII's are:

No particular order:

<span style="color: #FF0000">0.4 MOA</span> Chuck Hawks says his MK II BV had a factory target of 0.4" at 100 yds (with Fed Gold Medal).

Chuck Hawks then goes and gets a MK II BSEV, with another .4 inch factory target at 100yds. But here's his claim, quoted directly from his website:
<span style="color: #3366FF">"It threw shots into a nickel-sized hole at forty yards with most everything I fed it and in a later range session shot repetitive sub-quarter inch groups. This was with Lapua 36 grain HP ammunition at a laser-verified 102 yards."</span>

Gun Test for Outdoor life says this about their MK II (using Remington Eley and CCI Green Tag ammo):
<span style="color: #3366FF">"After the gun was sighted-in at 50 yards in a test tunnel, the first four 5-shot groups measured .191, .202, .263 and .260 inches, for an average of .229 inches."</span>
http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/gear/shooting/2008/06/gun-test-08?photo=6

<span style="color: #FF0000">0.625 MOA</span> Jeff Quinn off of Gunblast says this about his MK II BV at 50 yds: <span style="color: #3333FF">"The worst group of the day measured just seven-eighths of an inch. That was the worst. The best measured just five-sixteenths of an inch, which was repeatable with that ammo all day long. "</span> If he got 5/16ths all day long, it's not much of a stretch to say that occassionally he got a 4/16th group in there once in a while, but we won't fluff the claim, 5/16ths (with Win-Olin ammo) it is.

But how about a little home turf representation, here's <span style="color: #009900">VYD on SNIPERS HIDE</span> with a 0.25" at 50 yds (with premium Eley/Fed Gold Medal/Wolf ammo) claim, with pictures:
<span style="color: #3366FF">"5 shots, yes, it is usually between .25" to .37" at 50 yards if I do my part and if the weather permits.
"</span>
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2140385 </div></div>

Here we go again....
THere have been lots of people who read the above cherry picking and went out and bought a Savage only to be terribly disappointed in its performance. As long as you don't expect what you read in KSwift's post, you may be perfectly happy with a Savage. THey are good guns but don't expect too much and don't believe the Olympic grade accuracy claims.

Ordered a Savage FV-SR for 230.00 out the door.
Short , easy to handle and will be accurate enough for what I intend to use it for.

Both the Savage and CZ will shoot, and both are comparable in the accuracy dept. It just depends on the day, so there is no winner between the two for accuracy. Anyone who tells you different is leading you wrong.

CZ is more money and a better fit and finish if that's what you're looking for.
Savage is much less money and not as nice fit and finish.

Don't base your decision on the accuracy (as they are the same), base it on what fit and finish and dollar amount you are after.

Sold my Savage TR and built my 10/22. Way better choice.

If you have to stay bolt gun, my vote would be for neither. CZ 455 gets my nod.

Oh, I know, not one of the choices. Nor is it really "budget". But, you can buy a CZ for under $400, so why not go that route.

Ask my wife. I have never EVER had a project come in under budget. Budgets are for the lowest bidder.

http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-22s.htm

Those decent.

Yes there are exceptions where a cheaper savage will shoot 1/4moa but its rare. Don't expect Olympic accuracy outta budget rifles. But, that don't mean you can't get a darn fine shooting 1/2moa savage budget rifle. My brother just got the fv-sr and it puts 5 shots under a dime at 100 ft with the first cheap ammo we tried.
Also the fv-sr comes with features such as pict rail, bolt knob, and a threaded barrel. All with a 0.8" fluted barrel, it's a darn fine beginning rifle.

From cheap to good IMHO

Savage = marlin < ruger < cz < rem < win < Kimber < cooper = anschutz

That's generality. The win 52 and rem 40x are up there with the best.

Good luck and use the search function. Very useful and you will find tons of info

Regards
DT

Like others have said, those Savages just plain shoot. And they're cheap. The CZ is another class altogether. The fit and finish on them...the quality of the build, everything about the CZ is superior. The CZ is a better value, but the Savage will "likely" shoot just as well.

If you want to save money now, buy the Savage.
If you want a better value, buy the CZ.

Thanks all.... seems to be a mixed bag.

Mainly I'm trying to stay at $500 for a rifle, then get a scope and bipod.

As I said, I'm new, so I have lots to learn.... like, what makes a barrel better than the next, for instance. And, what's the deal with a free floating barrel.... too much to learn, too little time.

Basically, I want to buy something I'll enjoy out shooting my brother, the occasional local match, and have a rifle that looks sweet.... yeah, you know, a sniper wannabe. I'd also like to snipe the occasional nutter.

The reason for a bolt is to use the CCI long quite for when I need to.

Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definitely go with the Savage MKII, they've been proven to be half-MOA capable.

No particular order:

"</span>
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2140385 </div></div>

Internet fool's gold

I am looking at the Savage MKII right now. I have been reading up on the gun and it appears that its a great gun in its stock form. Just waiting for a deal.

The Savage Mark II TR is what I chose. Fun to shoot and good training tool and is pretty accurate out of the box. It likes the Wolf Target Match & Eley the best so far, but does fairly well with some less expensive Remington Subsonic rounds (as seen in the picture). That was from 100 yards off bipod and rear bag with some wind. JaxOps
IMG_0029.jpg

Right now you can still get the kimbers from the CMP for $425. here
I am quite pleased with my Kimber. It will average between .5" and .6" range at 50 yards and likes Eley Sport and Wolf/SK best amongst mid priced fodder. Below that, I have also been happy with the CZ 452 that I bought for my wife. It will ring the 1.5" steel at 100 yards reliably though, because of the sight configuration, and my wife's optical choosiness, I haven't been able to mount a scope to give you exact group sizes. I had a MK2 FSS at one time. It would not do 4" at 100yd. Perhaps the heavy barrel Savages will do better. I have heard plenty of people praise the Savages and say they will do .5" at 100 yards. Perhaps they are lucky, I am quite sure that those gun writers got hand selected examples though. I wonder if they even had Savage barrels on them or if Savage screwed on a Benchmark or Lilja for the reviewers. About savages, I have my doubts.

I recon D-trois is not far off with:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage = marlin < ruger < cz < rem < win < Kimber < cooper < anschutz</div></div>

Ok, I read it all, now what?

I was in the same boat as you when I first got into the rimfire game. I wanted a savage because they were cheap and had ok reviews. I had been to the local stores and had looked at the savages. I wasn't really impressed, but they were about all I could look at in person. I was all ready to buy one.

Plans got flipped around and I ended up going to see a friend the next day instead of buying my new rifle. I was bummed, but really wanted to see my friend. He had lots of guns and I figured he could give me some good advice and let me try a few of his 22's. LISTEN CAREFULLY NOW

I told him I was in the market for a 22 and he offered to let me try his 22's so I could make a better decision. I tried a bunch of different guns, none of which really sparked much interest. Until he pulled out the last one, a CZ. Yep, you heard right, he saved the CZ for last so I could not be biased against the others. It was beautiful. Walnut with gorgeous bluing on the steel. It held and pointed like a dream and the bolt was floating on air! I asked where I could get one and he said CZ had a website I could go to and look at the different models and then order at the gun shop.

I could not stop thinking of that rifle for the rest of the day. I looked up the CZ site as soon as I got home and decided that I wanted the 455 American. I called the local gun shop as soon as they opened in the morning and ordered it. He said it would be there on Tuesday. That was the longest 4 days of my life.

I called him on tuesday and he said it was waiting for me, so I hurried over. There were two customers in front of me and I thought I would die waiting, but my turn eventually came. He went in the back and brought back a brown box with black letters that said CZ in big black letters. He laid the box on the counter and cut the tape. My heart was POUNDING! He opened the box and there laid my 455 in it's oiled wrapper. He pulled the wrapper off and I will never forget what he said next. "That is the most beautiful walnut I have ever seen."

He admired it for a few brief seconds before handing it to me. It had some oil on it so he handed me a rag to wipe it down. It was beautiful. But wait. The bolt. Where is it? I looked down and it was in the box, in it's own little compartment in a wrapper of it's own. I pulled it out and slid it into the receiver. Perfect fit, but just a tad gritty.

I expressed concern about it and he tried it and said it was normal for a bolt to be a tad rough, but it was smoother than 99% of the triggers out there. This eased my concern a little. I asked if he had any suggestions for ammo and he handed me two boxes of ELEY, NO CHARGE. How much did I pay for my treasure?

$416 after tax.

I have had it for almost two years now and absolutely love it. I have put pillars in it and did some bolt work.

I am very glad I didn't buy the savage. The CZ is head and shoulders above the savage in all departments. If you want to love the rifle you buy, get a CZ. They will amaze you.

100yardtarget.jpg

I'm sorry are we still speaking of rifles or something else???? Man that's one stange love affair you've got going there.

So do you shoot it or just rub with oil?

(no offence but that was too hard to resist)

You should be able to find a used CZ452 Trainer for $300-$350. If new, then the Savage MKII with heavy barrel and accu-trigger should do the trick.

Duotone you should check out rimfirecentral.com. There is always a used CZ in the for sale section.

Thanks guys... I'm going to start by learning how to shoot better, and then try some different rifles to see what makes one a better fit for me over the other... Lots to learn, too little time.

However, I am going to replace my scope and trigger on my 597. That's a given with what I know now.

Tony

CZ452 American- my rifle will shoot under 1.5"@ 200 5 shot group with Wolf MT.-Mueller 8-32 scope
CZ Scout- 1/2"@ 50yds Wolf MT. Burris 4X scope
Both great rifles-one for targets and the other for hunting.

Coach

I have a Savage BVTS, and like it. I'm shooting around 2.5" at 100 yards with Federal 510. Not perfect ammo, not perfect rifleman, but decent enough I guess.

It was my first new rifle, and I'm happy with it. But if I buy one for my son, it will be a CZ Scout. I don't know that it will be more accurate, but they are built really well.

In the end, the days shooting will be more important that the rifle. Pick the one that gets your family and friends spending more time together.

I bought a Savage MK-II for my daughter, as that was what I could afford at the time. It shoots extremely well. Learn to shoot from unsupported positions, just sling up, snap in, and let it rip. Move into the optics after you have out shot the capabilities of the iron sights. Good luck and good shooting to you and your son!

Doug