• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best budget range finders?

aoisdff8a7ytuigh

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2020
United States
Hello forum,

I have for the most part all of the equipment I need to start shooting at long range, such as a good rifle, scope, spotting scope and handloads ready, and I just need a range finder for when I’m in the mountains. I know I can calculate distance by using height of the target and things like that through the reticle or my scope, but I’m willing to pay for a laser rangefinder to make the process quicker and easier, and so that when hunting I don’t have to find the height of the average animal in an area from my tower or position. What would be some of the best laser range finders that can go out to let’s say 1000 yards that don’t cost too much money?

Thanks.

We are running extra deals for the forum members during this time when our storefront is closed to the public and we are all living in a temporary (hopefully very temporary) situation, These extra deals are call in only, 516-217-1000

On the Leica CRF-2700B we are offering only $499.99 shipped

This is a great rangefinder that you'll be able to count on:

• Moderate 7x magnification brings target in close without sacrificing exit pupil or eye relief
  • 24mm objective lens helps to maintain a slim form-factor
  • Compact roof prism design keeps housing easy to hold one-handed
  • P40 phase-correction prism coating improves color rendition and contrast
  • HDC fully multi-coated optics: Abrasion-resistant to protect exterior lens surfaces and anti-reflection to improve light transmission and contrast
  • AquaDura lens coatings repel water, oil, and grime to keep lens clear and clean
  • 347' field of view at 1000 yards
  • Integrated inclinometer measures upward or downward angle relative to target
  • Internal barometric and temperature sensors measure atmospheric conditions that can affect bullet trajectory and ballistic arc
  • Built-in ABC ballistic program compiles data for angle of incline, temperature, barometric pressure, and ammunition type for precise hold-over/under with displayed riflescope MOA adjustment (clicks) for improved shot accuracy
  • Twelve pre-programmed ballistic curves to choose from
  • Equivalent Horizontal Range (EHR): An algorithm that uses distance and angle to calculate an adjusted range
  • ABC is accurate to 1000 yards (914 meters) EHR system accurate to 1200 yards (1100 meters)
  • Calculates range, including EHR, in 0.5 seconds
  • microSD card slot allows the use of pre-loaded ballistic curves from the Leica on-line ballistic calculator
  • Measures in yards or meters, selectable by user
  • Invisible FDA Class 1 eye-safe IR laser
  • Beam divergence of approximately 0.5x1.2 MRAD is an improvement over earlier models
  • Simple round center aiming reticle is easy to see without obscuring targets of all sizes
  • Metering range from 11-2700 yards reaches further than previous model
  • Metering accuracy of ±0.5yd from 11 to 220 yards; ±1 yard to 340 yards; ±2 yards to 875 yards; ±0.5% from 875 to 2700 yards
  • Spot and continuous scan mode calculates range in as little as 0.5 seconds
  • Runs on one included CR2 battery; good for up to 2,000 measurements at 68°F
  • Convenient single-button activation and operation
  • In-view LED displays in red for easy viewing in all light conditions; range displayed up to 0.1 yards/meters
  • Options to display angle, temperature, and pressure in-view
  • Ambient light meter with automatic brightness adjustment
  • ±3.5 dioptric correction enables reticle to be properly focused
  • Fold-down rubber eyecup for comfortable use with or without eyewear
  • Long 15mm eye relief
  • Comfortable 3.4mm exit pupil
  • Lightweight, impact- and temperature-resistant carbon fiber reinforced ABS plastic housing
  • Ergonomically designed for comfortable one-handed use
  • IPX7-rated, waterproof and submersible to 3.3 feet
  • Broad -4 to 131°F operating temperature range; -40 to 185°F storage temperature range
  • Compact 4.4x2.9x1.3" form factor is smaller than previous model
  • Light 6.5-ounce weight, including battery, is lighter than earlier model

Last edited:
Reactions: TACC
Tried most of the cheaper ones out.
Always felt extremely frustrated afterwords.
Leica 2000b, Vortex 4000, Bushnell's, Sig's, Leupold's.

I’ve had a good experience with my Leupold RX-1600i TBR/W with DNA its a pretty solid unit and very compact. It has trajectory and wind software that I really don't have a use for (dont need 3 different calculators) but its nice that is there. 6x magnification is good enough. I got mine new for 275 they retail for about 349 but if you look hard enough you can find a deal.

I've owned the Sig Kilo, the Leica 2000b, and the Vortex 4000. Let's just say the only one I still have is the Vortex, while the other two were sold. The Vortex 4000 ranges just as precisely as my Sig 3000BDX. The only thing it doesn't do is communicate with my Kestrel, but I don't need it to

Reactions: RRW
Of all the above mentioned Rangefinders is Leica (Germany) the only one not made in China?

I’ve had the Leupold and Leica. The Leica was well worth the $$$ the Leupold was not

I picked up a Leupy 2800 to replace and old, old Leica. It has an easier time pinging targets when compared side to side with my buddies particular 2200mr. I was able to hit some plates at over 1k so it's working out good so far.
20200503_132907.jpg

Brand new user of the Bushnell 1mile CONX. I've had it out at 1,000 yard ranges these last few weekends, and it has no problems pinging IPSC steel at 1k. FWIW, both weekends were great weather and clear line of sight.

Brand new user of the Bushnell 1mile CONX. I've had it out at 1,000 yard ranges these last few weekends, and it has no problems pinging IPSC steel at 1k. FWIW, both weekends were great weather and clear line of sight.

Same experience with my bought used ConX from the Hide PX.

Was hitting steel with it at 1000 yards this weekend and it linked up with my Kestrel to spit the data over.

I might get different results as a hunter looking through cover at things that have fur and move but for my "static" use I'm getting my twofiddys worth.

Reactions: chrome
That Leica Doug is advertising for $499 is a good deal. I liked the look, size and feel of the Leica’s but had issues with two brand new ones. Both came from Brownell’s and they honored their lifetime guarantee and took them back. First had an issue with the reticle, second had a missing front door sd cover. The Conx seems to be getting good reviews now. I’d probably go that direction... BUT!!! For the money that 2700B would be tempting to try again.

I was using a vortex 4000 this past weekend and I like it. I only had a target out to 800 and closer which was easy to pick up, but I was ranging buildings out to 1700 pretty easily off a tripod. Have ranged a warehouse a little past 2000yds too. Gives the range quick and seems to be accurate when I put the numbers into a kestrel.

This review is still relevant in 2020 for a budget setup.

From what I understand, if you want to buy retail on this setup, talk to Doug at Camerland. He has recently had some banging deals on the 2700 and Kestrels.

I bought my leica 2400R last year for this price, that doug has the 2700 for. Great deal

My 2400 has lazed steel IPSC size out to 2000 known yards accurately.

I have good experience with a Sig KILO 1600. Clear, accurate, affordable. I haven't gone past 500 yards at this moment though. However it's rated for 800 yards on deer, 1000 yards on trees, with 2000 yard max
SOK16608

what are you going to use for weather and ballistics?
it might not be the cheapest solution, but i opted for an all-in-one Kilo 2400abs when i found a great price (last year).
so far it has been spot on for 3 different ammo profiles even though i had to estimate velocities based on what others measured in a similar rifle.
i see people sell them used so it might be an option.

This is the one I went with, Sig Kilo 5k. Was initially going to get a 2800.com but read and did research on here saying the Sig Kilo was the better of the two. Got a killer deal going through Sig directly via the Legion program.

I went with the Vortex Fury 5000 binoculars with AB. Not a particular fan of the company, but they work, they work in the cold, and for the warranty. Most electronics fail with time, so a solid warranty is crucial with LRFs.

I picked up a Maven RF.1 and I have been pretty impressed with it for the money. The only "issue"has been there are not alot of manufactures who make a pouch for it.

I know this is an old thread, but I really like my Vortex Ranger range finders. They can be a bit "touchy" when it comes to finding something solid for the laser to bounce back from, but other than that, for the money they're pretty nice, and are pretty accurate.

I know this is an old thread, but I really like my Vortex Ranger range finders. They can be a bit "touchy" when it comes to finding something solid for the laser to bounce back from, but other than that, for the money they're pretty nice, and are pretty accurate.
The trick is to understand where the laser is, in the reticle. Often times they are not co-aligned, and can give the feeling of being "touchy", when in fact it's just the beam's location not being where you think it is.

If you have access to NV (PVS-14 or similar), you can go outside at night and looking at a garage door or the side of a barn, with the PVS-14 in one eye, and looking through the LRF with the other, trigger the LRF. Your brain will overlay the laser dot (seen through the NV) onto the view of the LRF reticle seen with the other eye. At that point you'll know, if say the laser is actually striking on the lower left of the reticle (instead of the center). Knowing this will allow you to get a better, more confident return.

Think of it as a "scope humbler", but for LRF's. I think Sig are the only ones currently offering an LRF that you can co-align/adjust the reticle to display where the laser is pointed.

Anyways, just a data point to toss out there...

Reactions: FWoo45
The trick is to understand where the laser is, in the reticle. Often times they are not co-aligned, and can give the feeling of being "touchy", when in fact it's just the beam's location not being where you think it is.

If you have access to NV (PVS-14 or similar), you can go outside at night and looking at a garage door or the side of a barn, with the PVS-14 in one eye, and looking through the LRF with the other, trigger the LRF. Your brain will overlay the laser dot (seen through the NV) onto the view of the LRF reticle seen with the other eye. At that point you'll know, if say the laser is actually striking on the lower left of the reticle (instead of the center). Knowing this will allow you to get a better, more confident return.

Think of it as a "scope humbler", but for LRF's. I think Sig are the only ones currently offering an LRF that you can co-align/adjust the reticle to display where the laser is pointed.

Anyways, just a data point to toss out there...
An even cheaper method to test beam alignment was pointed out by a member here.
Most cheap security cameras can see into that part of the spectrum in night time mode.

An even cheaper method to test beam alignment was pointed out by a member here.
Most cheap security cameras can see into that part of the spectrum in night time mode.
Some smartphone cameras as well, now that I think about it.

But the cheaper methods don't really allow you to see exactly where it's pointing on the reticle. Whereas the NV in one eye, and the LRF in the other, give a visual image of reticle and laser beam in the same view.