• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best Budget Scope for Precision AR $400-$800

TwoNiner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
I'm looking for a budget scope for a MK12 clone I'm building:

Budget: $400-800
Focal Plane: SFP (I won't be milling targets with this scope)
Illumination: Optional but a big +++
Magnification range: 3-9 or 3-12 ish range. Also considering 1-6ish range.
Glass: Best value for the $$
Turrets: 100% usable if "tactical", otherwise just capped. (To give a little background, I had a Leupold 3-9X Mod 1 scope but there was no zero stop or revolution indicator so I could never tell where I was. I found the scope to have great glass but completely useless because of the turret design.)
Weight: The lighter the better. Razor Gen II need not apply (like I can afford it anyways!)

I was previously considering the Burris 2.5-10 XTR II but these are in FFP, and the more I think about it I don't want an FFP scope because of the thinness of the reticle at low powers. I will be doing run-n-guns with this rifle. I was also considering the Vortex 2.5-10x44 SFP but people have said the glass isn't worth the cash.

Last edited:
In that price range, I would say it's the SWFA 3-9. At least, that was my choice when making the same decision. It doesn't have illumination, which I wasn't that interested in. However, it's FFP which is always a plus in my book. FFP isn't just about milling. It also helps with holdovers.

I'm actually selling mine right now to help fund a custom bolt gun. It's in perfect condition and comes with extras. Let me know if you're interested. http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...9x42-w-mil-quad-like-new-throwlever-caps.html

Last edited:
Leupold Mark AR 3x9 TMR w/Firedot. $500ish, I think. Been excellent on mine so far, 5-yds to 600yds

TEP_0791.jpg

Attachments

• TEP_0779.jpg
    TEP_0779.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
Stpilot12,

The problem I have with the Leupy AR scopes is their turrets have no revolution indicator. If I don't know if I'm on rev 1, 2, 3, etc. I'd rather just have cap and coin turrets and an xmas tree reticle.

The problem I have with the Leupy AR scopes is their turrets have no revolution indicator. If I don't know if I'm on rev 1, 2, 3, etc. I'd rather just have cap and coin turrets and an xmas tree reticle.

Yeah, thats always a consideration, however… Not sure how far you're planning on shooting with 556, but one full revolution is 6mil, on my SPR with 69gr GMM, 6mil is 700yds. Just a thought.

Vortex PST 1-4, Burris 1-4x or 1-5 and their 2.5-10x42mm look good on the MK12 clones. I have a buddy that has a 2-10x42mm on his and he really likes it.

If we can be of help let me know.

Mike CSTACTICAL

It's a MK12 clone, why not a proper 2.5-8x32 Leupold? While at the upper end, you can find them for your price range you're looking for.

ETA: The actual TS-30 A2 will run you more, even used. Illuminated MK4 MR/T 2.5-8x32 are commonly found for around $800 used here or other forums. That's what I bought mine for here on the Hide, the MK262 M2 turret ran me another $30 or so from Leupold custom shop. If you want to stay in the clone theme, I would recommend that route. Otherwise, I would look at the Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 and be done.

If you want to hold out for about six weeks, I'll sell you mine for the same. I have a NF 2.5-10x24 going on my MK12 this October's leave...

Last edited: