• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Budget Tactical Bolt-Action Platform?

Re: Best Budget Tactical Bolt-Action Platform?

remau308 said:
The thread topic is a "tactical" budget rifle, not a cheap piece of crap that will not shoot accurately or reliable. The reason you do not see anything about this $200 rifle is because no one is too stupid to buy something so useless. You would be better off buying into Daisy products. If you want to start reloading and perfecting your round to your rifle you are going to want a heavy/bull barrel.

Huh i must one of the too stupid to buy something so useless crowd.

i bought one of these $200 rifles in 243 for build and no i didnt buy any daisy products. if you run a google search here you will find a lot of people here use the stevens as a starting point or recommed it for beginners.

there is nothing wrong with buying a stevens 200 and just using the action with or without the barrel you can atleast get a savage action without the acctrigger.

if i was on buget i would go with a swfa ss 10x $300 scope or the weaver grand slam adj that midway sells i think they want $300 on sale for it

The fact is, it is a crap beginners rifle. You will eventually replace it as you progress and find out that you paid $200 solely for the savage action if that wasn't the only reason you bought it in the first place.

Also, the SWFA SS 10x you want is the HD. It is much MUCH better than the original model. The glass is not good at all, but I will say the mechanics should not fail you. I haven't actually tested the turrets to see if they track right, but I will say I have looked through that one and a Barska SWAT, and the Barska actually had better glass. The 10x is also not optimum for hunting since you probably will not use more than 6x since you usually shoot deer pretty close (within 200 yards and as close as 10 yards).

So yeah, you bought a pretty useless rifle aside from the action.

I have built the low budget stevens, and have about $800 or so in it (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...578#Post2310578). Be prepared to wait for good deals to build it, you won't find every good deal you need in a week, but they are out there if you wait. I picked up parts here and there for about 4-5 months and waited about 3 months for my barrel from mcgowen. If you want a basic heavy barrel 223, I see them go on gunbroker for 400-500 every now and them (minus glass).
Some of the academy stores have the stevens on clearance for 179, a lot of guys on the savage boards have picked some up at that price, but that doesnt mean you can find them in your area (I havent found any local to me in tn).
I would buy a basic stevens 308, probably used where you could get the older 4.25 spacing on the short action because there will be more used stocks with this spacing. Buy a rifle basix trigger and install it, and set it to about 2 lbs. Spend the most money you can on glass(and borrow that much more from friends and family to add to the glass fund), get a good base and rings, and shoot a lot of good ammo (not wolf or some other crap). There are some good deals on Federal GMM right now.
Once you put a lot of rounds down range, and know what you really need, you can either upgrade the stevens with a barrel (and stock, glass, whatever you want) or sell it and buy a good used rifle from one of the guys here on the hide.
I wouldnt suggest buying a take-off heavy barrel, just to say you have a heavy barrel. Order a custom barrel if you plan on upgrading. By the time it is finished, you will have some range time under your belt and hopefully some more money saved up for other stuff (better glass, go and no/go gagaes, action wrench, and barrel nut wrench needed to swap barrels, etc). Custom barrels are more affordable than you think. You can pick up a 223 or 308 for under $300 shipped from some places (and some barrel makers have sales and discounts for 1st time buyers). Check out McGowen and also Northland Shooters Supply. Northland has their own barrel line now, Criterion, and they have really good prices on them and I have heard very good things about them on the savage boards.
Also, dont be scared of used barrels. Join savageshooters.com for $12 a year and access their members classifieds. I have seen really good, low round count barrels go for around $200 and sometimes less in popular calibers. There are also good deals on every part you can think of, you just have to keep an eye on the forum for new stuff posted.

I say go with the cheap stevens or savage action and build up from there. Choate has a nice reasonbly priced tactical stock and you can find good deals on prefit barrels if you look around. And 223 is a good cheap start to get into shooting its what I started on and am glad I did. I also skipped the dbm at first to buy reloading equipment and decent glass. After a year of 223 I decided I wanted somthing bigger and got a 7 saum prefit barrel and threw it on myself no smith costs at all. Now I have two barrels and reloading equipment for a little over a grand the same price as a single rifle from some brands. The scope was a different story but I wanted good glass. As far as accuracy the the 7 can put 5 smk's into a 1 inch group at 200 when I'm having a good day. Its been almost three years now since I got my savage and don't regret it one bit I've learned alot by working on it myself. That being said I have handled remingtons and other brands over the years and they are all good, but I wouldnt have what I have today if I hadnt started on a savage just because of the money I saved.

I just can't buy into that idea/gamble. Why not save up a little and pay $600-800 for a rifle that you know will perform well. For instance, I saved up, and waited until I found a woman with a 700P for sale for $675. I knew that it would perform well before I shot it. Why not pay for the rifle, then get some reliable glass and spend about $1300 overall. Thats not a whole hell of a lot of money for something you know will work flawlessly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just can't buy into that idea/gamble. Why not save up a little and pay $600-800 for a rifle that you know will perform well. For instance, I saved up, and waited until I found a woman with a 700P for sale for $675. I knew that it would perform well before I shot it. Why not pay for the rifle, then get some reliable glass and spend about $1300 overall. Thats not a whole hell of a lot of money for something you know will work flawlessly. </div></div>

Because it would be at least a year to get that much gun money together. So,
a) sit around and stuff 5's into a jar for a year and type on forums for fun or
b) go buy a 1/4 price setup and starting shooting a year ealier, upgrade later when the cash jar has some weight

yea i bought just for the action but dont discount the barrel. work up a good load and it will shoot 3/4-1/2 moa.it all depends who drives the rifle. besides who wants to pay $600+ for a savage when all you want is the barreled action.

have to disagree on the swfa 10x yes its not as good as the 10xHD but it is built like a tank and yes the glass on my ss3x9 is better. but the 10x is good enough for target shooting. never said i used it for hunting however i have no problems with the fov at 25yards.

also are you saying a savage wont work flawlessly?

Gladly, I'm pretty confident in my rifle and my abilities to shoot it. The tightest group I was able to produce with it so far was .378" at 100 with a bipod, and a 6" five shot group at 800 yards. Plus, I would never pass up an opportunity to shoot more even if you schooled me. At least I would learn something from it, but save the smart ass challenges for PM's.

sorry, quickdraw40 deleted his comment. No, I didn't say a savage will not perform because I have shot one flawlessly. However, I can't vouch for a $200 rifle. I know for a fact that the 10, and 12 models function great.

THe older savage/stevens rifles are not crap and are extremely reliable. I have one in .308 that consistently shoots sub moa out to 400 yards, that being the farthest i've been able to shoot. You will find a ton of people on this site that will put a savage up against a remington any day. You wont go wrong with a savage.

I erased my post, presumably, as you were responding to it. The Savage/stevens action is a very well respected long range platform and not "daisy" crap. Remington, Savage, AI, custom... whatever... get it and shoot it. $0.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know for a fact that the 10, and 12 models function great. </div></div>

They are the same action as the Stevens with a different trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I erased my post, presumably, as you were responding to it. If you have spent more than the two weeks you have been a member with your ears(eyes) open instead of your mouth you would learn the savage/stevens action is a very well respected long range platform and not "daisy" crap. Remington, Savage, AI, custom... whatever... get it and shoot it. $0.02 </div></div>

I have been reading this forum now for three years, but I never signed up until I heard about the HardRock shooting competition. I noticed it was a 1000yard shooting competition in my backyard that I have never heard of, but thats regardless. Once again, you can take your asshole comments to PM's. And you have only been a member for 10 months now, I guess you are a real member...but you keep deleting your comments after I post mine
smirk.gif

I would put any rifle against any rifle. My remington 700 is no better than most savages and vice versa. However, it depends on the shooter. I just will not trust a $200 rifle...period. But then again, this is coming from a guy who saved up and bought a gibson les paul for his first guitar instead of buying crap and working my way up. This is my personal approach to when I buy things. I buy good, quality products that I know and trust personally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I erased my post, presumably, as you were responding to it. If you have spent more than the two weeks you have been a member with your ears(eyes) open instead of your mouth you would learn the savage/stevens action is a very well respected long range platform and not "daisy" crap. Remington, Savage, AI, custom... whatever... get it and shoot it. $0.02 </div></div>

I have been reading this forum now for three years, but I never signed up until I heard about the HardRock shooting competition. I noticed it was a 1000yard shooting competition in my backyard that I have never heard of, but thats regardless. Once again, you can take your asshole comments to PM's.

I would put any rifle against any rifle. My remington 700 is no better than most savages and vice versa. However, it depends on the shooter. I just will not trust a $200 rifle...period. But then again, this is coming from a guy who saved up and bought a gibson les paul for his first guitar instead of buying crap and working my way up. This is my personal approach to when I buy things. I buy good, quality products that I know and trust personally. </div></div>

You don't get it........ the correct answer to "Best Budget Tactical Bolt-Action Platform?" is <span style="text-decoration: underline">Savage Stevens</span>. Period. There really won't get an argument from anyone on this site (but you) on this.

The original poster seems to be leaning toward the Remington platform so I guess you don't get it....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The original poster seems to be leaning toward the Remington platform so I guess you don't get it.... </div></div>

He can lean where ever he wants. He came here for advice. If you truly want a budget platform, the best is Savage Stevens. Everyone here would agree the $400 difference would be well spent on better glass, ammo, reloading components, etc.

Get the stevens and when funds come available you can upgrade the barrel,trigger,stock and so on. Until then you have a rifle and can put some trigger time in.

He asked for advice/opinions. I posted mine so he can take it or leave it. Both Savage and Remington make great rifles. However, I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2guard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just can't buy into that idea/gamble. Why not save up a little and pay $600-800 for a rifle that you know will perform well. For instance, I saved up, and waited until I found a woman with a 700P for sale for $675. I knew that it would perform well before I shot it. Why not pay for the rifle, then get some reliable glass and spend about $1300 overall. Thats not a whole hell of a lot of money for something you know will work flawlessly. </div></div>

Because it would be at least a year to get that much gun money together. So,
a) sit around and stuff 5's into a jar for a year and type on forums for fun or
b) go buy a 1/4 price setup and starting shooting a year ealier, upgrade later when the cash jar has some weight </div></div>

from what I read, he's leaning toward the savage/stevens </div></div>

Kswift is not the original poster
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aaronc2006</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I'm really loving the Remington 700 platforms aftermarket. I may go with it based on that, unless I end up deciding to keep a factory-style stock and just put a nice bipod on it. I didn't realize how expensive stocks were, I was expecting them to be in the $200-300 range, but it looks like they are mostly more in the $400-800 range. </div></div>

Maybe you meant to read this one...

Don't worry guys, I'm done posting on this subject, so everyone else can give this poor original poster some more opinions haha

Remau308, as long as that rifle that he gets, whatever it is or how much it cost shoots a good group it really doesn't matter. Then he can focus on putting good optics on it. I understand your approach, but suggesting that it's necessary is false. There are plenty of people with budget builds that can outshoot others. It more lies on the shooter than his equipment. Good equipment only Aids in the assist.

You might consider one of those Russian sniper rifles, Mosin-Nagant. They can be picked up for $99! They have iron sights, but Cabela's has a scope mount for $54! They are pretty good shoooters and will hold it's value (probably go up over time).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might consider one of those Russian sniper rifles, Mosin-Nagant. They can be picked up for $99! They have iron sights, but Cabela's has a scope mount for $54! They are pretty good shoooters and will hold it's value (probably go up over time). </div></div>

Really. "Sniper rifles"?

I don't know where folks get some of this stuff.

Some rifles are more expensive than others, and some are more precisely made than others.

But most rifles these days, including entry level rifles, are not what I would call compromises. Nearly all of them will shoot at least as well as their owners can shoot, and the more elaborate ones will often far exceed their owners' capabilities.

None of this is a bad thing.

A shooter should base their demands on their own capabilities, and not on the views of others. Blindly upgrading a rifle before determining whether the skills set will accommodate the expenditure is not my idea of wisdom.

IMHO, 'compromise' is a marketing term, and not a marksmanship term.

Greg

Well I know it may not be the most popular option here in Rem 700 land but I was in a similar situation looking for a budget rifle. I ended up ordering a Howa barreled action and a B&C stock. It then got an EGW 20 moa base some Burris rings and an SWFA SS 10. Is it the coolest rifle ever with all the bells and whistles and guaranted accuracy of 1/4 moa at 200 yards? NO. But it does what I ask it and for the money it does it well. Also I suspect my next rifle will be a .223 Stevens 200 for inexpensive fun.
P1030139small.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes, sniper rifle

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=en&sa=N&tbs=isch:1&ei=n9RVTeiSL4q8sQP3goDDBQ

(copy and paste above LONG link)
</div></div>

Bud, I know what a PU scope looks like, but that DOESN'T make those junk surplus 91/30s sniper rifles. You MIGHT be lucky to get an ex-sniper rearsenaled, but Mosins aren't worth mentioning here at all. And a LEGITIMATE ORIGINAL Mosin in sniper configuration is worth quite a bit more than 99 bucks.

The $400+ toss togethers you find at places like J&G aren't even the real thing, look it up. A REAL Mosin sniper is big bucks, and not because it's a shooter. A nice original can set you back a grand.

here's a couple of groups I shot today with my crap stevens action. This was my winter build, and total cost was under $800 including optics. These are two groups from the first 30 rounds down the new barrel. The group on the left is 7/8" and the one on the right is just under 3/4". Both are measured edge to edge, and I have not subtracted for bullet diameter. Shot with FGMM 168gr at 100 with 10-15mph swirling winds @ 60*.
Whatever you decide on, buy and shoot it often. Enjoy your time behind the rifle. If it needs upgrading and you have the funds, do it. If not, just keep buying ammo and shooting.
sdmvrs.jpg

See my build specs in my sig, total cost with optic included is about 1200-1250. Currently shooting 1/2moa or better without load developement.

Good luck,
Merritt

+1 on the Stevens. The money you save with a Stevens 200 you can put towards a better stock or scope and rounds. Love mine you won't regret getting one.

Flyingbullseye

This guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2M1hC4c0tc
Is hitting an 1000 yard 18" target 2 out of 5 trys with his Mosin Nagant.

OP is talking really low budget. And with $100 for the rifle, $50 for the scope mount and maybe a $150 Nikon Prostaff scope he could do it for $300. AND, with the mosin nagant, chances are it would hold it's value (SKS's and 1903 Srpingfields have gone up and they used to be $99 rifles at one time). He'd own a piece of history.

Any high power, centerfire rifle can be a "sniper" rifle. It doesn't HAVE to be designated "sniper" by some authority. Just powerful enough to reach out and able to put a scope on it.

How much custom labor has to be done to assemble these "budget" rifles from parts? How hard is it to do it yourself without owning a machine shop? Buying budget parts and blowing your budget on the gunsmith and custom machining doesn't seem so good to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: randian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much custom labor has to be done to assemble these "budget" rifles from parts? How hard is it to do it yourself without owning a machine shop? Buying budget parts and blowing your budget on the gunsmith and custom machining doesn't seem so good to me. </div></div>

For a savage or stevens just buy allen wrenches and a barrel nut wrench. You can do everything in your basement/garage with a savage. Remington will take a gunsmith or a lathe if you know what you're doing. So if you're a do it your self kinda guy get a stevens/savage and watch some you tube on barrel swap and PM me or any of the other savage guys.

Good luck,
Merritt