• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best Budget Tactical Bolt-Action Platform?

aaron_c

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2011
Hey guys, need some opinions here. I'm only ruling out semi-auto guns because they seem to run quite a bit more expensive than the bolt actions do. This rifle will be for range use mostly, I don't really hunt anymore. I just want a cool, tactical-sniper looking rifle (I'm going to trade/sell one of my BAR Safari's for it, since I can't find any aftermarket parts for that rifle). Caliber is negotiable, but nothing smaller than .243.

Opinions on a starting platform in the $400-500 range? Maybe a Savage rifle, or a used Remington 700? Let me know what you guys think!

Re: Best Budget Tactical Bolt-Action Platform?

Lots of threads on here regarding this very subject.

I went with a Varmint model Remington 700.
Savage makes just as good of a gun as Remington does.

If you want to start from scratch get a Stevens rifle and build it up the way you want it.

i just picked up a savage 308 on here very reasonable to keep as a backup rifle...im gunna build it up on a budget and do a write up when im done....

I Love My Remington 700's, and they Love me....by printing nice little bug holes with hand loads. The Varmint Series rifles are include in my experience & give the same results. I have a 6MM Rem and a 243 they both rock although I've favored the 243 lately, for no particular reason. I really like my 700 P. .308. too great rifle and it shoots super small groups too.

My .308 SPS Tactical was the only one that I couldn't get holes touching so I sent it off to GAP for a 260 barrel and action trueing cause it was obviously flawed for it's 1/4 inch (between holes) groups at 100yrds.

Gun broker seems to have lots of older BDL varmint rifles I've considered getting one several times. Good luck!!!!

i would go with a remington 700 sps varmint or varmint tactical and get some good glass on it. These are solid out of the box guns and have almost infinite opportunities for upgrades and accessories so you can work your way up as you get more money to put into it. The first upgrade i would make is i would get rid of the factory stock and replace it with a top notch stock like a mcmillan, AICS, or HS precision. eventually, you can replace the barrel too. In reality the remington factory barrels are pretty good and will b great to practice on but if you eventually want to replace the barrel with a match grade barrel such as a schneider, kreiger, shilen, etc. it will increase accuracy a considerable amount. Also, always use good ammo. Ammo makes a huge difference when it comes to the performance of your rifle. Either buy match grade ammo or handload yourself to get the most out of it. As far as caliber goes, if you are looking for an all around good round, i would go with .308, if you want to really start pushing the range a little bit then i owuld jump up to .300 WM. Anything past that and you really lose any hopes of buying or handloading good ammo for a reasonable price

I'll start looking around to see how expensive the Remington 700's are around here. I'm also wondering, though, how is this Savage Axis rifle, and how hard might it be to find a good aftermarket stock for it?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/axis

Right now there is nothing as far as options for replacing the stock on the Axis/Edge rifles. If you want a low cost platform to build up just about anything you want, go with a Stevens.

Stevens is the same platform as a Savage, but alot less money. I personally like the Savage line due to the options that are available. Superb accuracy, nice Accutrigger, and you can easily be your own gunsmith.

I shoot Savage!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right now there is nothing as far as options for replacing the stock on the Axis/Edge rifles. If you want a low cost platform to build up just about anything you want, go with a Stevens.

Stevens is the same platform as a Savage, but alot less money. I personally like the Savage line due to the options that are available. Superb accuracy, nice Accutrigger, and you can easily be your own gunsmith.

I shoot Savage!!

DK </div></div>

You mean this model, Z? What companies should I look into for a less expensive (maybe $250 range) tactical/sniper stock for it?

http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/STEVENS%20200%20SHORT

Bass Pro has a good sale on Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 308 caliber right now . With mail in rebate they are $474.94 . That is a purdy hard deal to beat. Sale ends FEB. 24 .

Man, I'm really loving the Remington 700 platforms aftermarket. I may go with it based on that, unless I end up deciding to keep a factory-style stock and just put a nice bipod on it. I didn't realize how expensive stocks were, I was expecting them to be in the $200-300 range, but it looks like they are mostly more in the $400-800 range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: para1505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bass Pro has a good sale on Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 308 caliber right now . With mail in rebate they are $474.94 . That is a purdy hard deal to beat. Sale ends FEB. 24 . </div></div>

that is a good deal. i might have to pick up another one at that price

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aaronc2006</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I'm really loving the Remington 700 platforms aftermarket. I may go with it based on that, unless I end up deciding to keep a factory-style stock and just put a nice bipod on it. I didn't realize how expensive stocks were, I was expecting them to be in the $200-300 range, but it looks like they are mostly more in the $400-800 range. </div></div>

ya to get a top of the line stock its pretty expensive but it really does pay off. in my experiences, it usually cuts my groups in half on rifles.

Yep, I was talking about that specific model. I have owned Remington, FN, Winchester, Marlin, Howa, Stevens, and Savages. For the price range vs. out of the box accuracy... Savage all the way.

Lowest cost, best platform to build from... you can't them.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: para1505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bass Pro has a good sale on Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 308 caliber right now . With mail in rebate they are $474.94 . That is a purdy hard deal to beat. Sale ends FEB. 24 . </div></div>

For information purpose typical dealer wholesale is $425'ish after Rem $75 rebate.

+1 for 700 or Savage...

But to mix it up: check out something with a Howa 1500 action.

Not the popular choice for various reasons, but in the end, they do make a nice product.

I would go with a savage 10fp if you dont want to add alot(stock only).

But if you are going to add mods and stuff you cant beat a 700 weather it be a sps t or v or p or 5r. There all nice.

both are great and would make a very nice reasonably priced tactical rifle.

I have a Rem 700 sps Varmit. added a B&C stock, a hawke scope, custom bolt knob lapped the barrel. I been putting in the range time and with the help of a former Marine Sniper a 26 year old has helped this 43year old to be able to shoot 1/2moa or less at 600 yd. Not bad for a stock rem 700 and a semi old guy

From the 2011 Savage Catalogue:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Stevens rifle is the right rifle at the right price. All barrels in this line are button rifled with
painstaking precision by gunmakers trained in the Stevens tradition. The Model 200 is available in
both long and short actions, in a variety of calibers, and features a dual pillar bedded synthetic stock.
All barrels are free floating for enhanced accuracy. </div></div>

The Stevens 200 features the original Model 10 trigger which can only marginally be considered adjustable, and not with factory approval. Still, there are worse. The Stevens receiver/scope base interface has been updated to be the same as current Savage bases.

The Savage Accue-Stock incorporates an aluminum bedding block with a forward extension that eliminates previous forend flex, and a recoil lug/screw wedge that has a significant effect on accuracy. I think it goes beyond the idea of a revolution to become a complete new evolution in bedding concepts.

Greg

In my area, the Savage 200 is on sale for $179 right now. I bought a short action two months ago (paid $249 then, dammit!), built a 308 tactical rig. I am bout to go and get a long action right now. I will be asking for input as to what to do with it soon.

tater

What worked on the 200 short should work equally well on the 200 long.

Personally, I'd suggest an aftermarket barrel chambered in .30-'06 Sprg )1:10" twist) or .280 Rem (1:9" twist) (or one of each), Savage Varmint Contour. L-W speaks the language. Aside from a longer scope base and stock inlet, stick with what works.

Expect a decent bullet to go at least 1400yd with the .280 Rem (180SMK, .660BC, 2700fps MV, 1059fps at 1400yd, 1100ft ASL, 55MOA drop with 200yd zero, strictly a computation).

Pejsa:

Range Speed Energy Drop Path Elevn Windage Time
[yards] [fps] [ft.lb] [inches] [inches] [MOA] [MOA] [sec]
1000 1451 842 364.77 -306.47 29.19 6.78 1.52
0 2700 2914 0.00 -1.75 0.00
200 2419 2340 10.26 0.00 0.00 1.05 0.23
400 2154 1855 44.39 -22.12 5.27 2.23 0.50
600 1905 1450 108.65 -74.38 11.81 3.55 0.79
800 1670 1115 211.54 -165.26 19.67 5.06 1.13
1000 1451 842 364.77 -306.47 29.19 6.78 1.52
1200 1248 622 584.89 -514.59 40.84 8.77 1.96
1400 1059 448 895.89 -813.58 55.35 11.11 2.48
1600 886 314 1333.55 -1239.23 73.76 13.88 3.10

Greg

Buy a remington or savage varmint model in a decent price range such a SPS varmint or something of the sort. Then continue to upgrade it from there. Here's my 5R.
36028_1337146910490_1285620147_30773994_326575_n.jpg

Go with a Remington 700 take your pick of available models/calibers and grow and build off the platform. Oh and don't skimp on glass seriously buy the best you can afford it really makes a difference. Have fun and enjoy the learning/building process.

Although this topic has been beat like a dead horse six times over...... I'll add my little bit of expierence.

I like the Savage route, but not the Long Action that was mentioned above. If you go with a LA you will find that it is much more difficult to find a descent stocks once you decide to upgrade.

You can find a lot of stocks for the LA but there are more options for the SA for sure....Now you can buy a Manner's with a mini-chassis for the SA, soon you'll be able to by a AICS, ext....

With the long action manners and MCM are options but bedding is a must. Once you get the stock, DBM, and have it bedded it gets really expensive.

Just my two cents...

For the $400 to $500 price range, Savage.

For the $900 price range, Remington 5R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my area, the Savage 200 is on sale for $179 right now. I bought a short action two months ago (paid $249 then, dammit!), built a 308 tactical rig. I am bout to go and get a long action right now. I will be asking for input as to what to do with it soon.

tater </div></div>

Whoa, the 200 is only $179??? What store is that at???

I need 2 or 3 at that price..., seriously, I'll pay FFL transfer too.

Just so you know Dick's Sporting Goods has the Remington 700 SPS Varmint with a cheap scope on sell for 499.98 after 50 dollar mail in rebate. Excellent deal, I bought my self.

I boughtone of the LA from academy and it is a pain to find a stock that will fit. I ended up bedding a Duramax to fit. They are not the best stock out there by any means. But I'm building a budget 300WM even though i did pick up a Roedale brake for it. If you decide to build go with a SA there are plenty of stocks to choose from.

Howa 1500.

Take a look. The features, and quality will surprise you.

Unfortunately, 500 & 900 are out of budget right now, but a $179 action would be perfect for a mixmaster buildup.

Trying to get into a 223 setup, but need to liquidate some brass/22 rifles/other toys, OR find a deal like that Stevens 200 for under $200.

I figure I can find a like new takeoff Savage barrel and aftermarket stock, get some dies, and stay under $400 total. Another 150-200 on quality glass, and it's a wrap.

150-200 isn't going to put you into quality glass... How about leave the rifle bone stock for now and put all 600 into glass? Just an idea that seems to be the mantra here on the Hide

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chadwick122689</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 150-200 isn't going to put you into quality glass... How about leave the rifle bone stock for now and put all 600 into glass? Just an idea that seems to be the mantra here on the Hide </div></div>

True, let me rephrase. By quality, I really meant decent (better than the "package" 3-9 rifle scopes that come with the store sale rifles).

The scope I'm considering is the Mueller 8-32 sidefocus target. I've heard great things about it, and figure it's a great starting point, and will keep me well on paper for anything within 300 yds.

Oh, ok... I see what your plan is, I was just offering an alternative... Regardless of gear selection be sure to post a picture when you get your first incarnation of the rifle set up...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at Howa rifles:
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=HWK97102P+

Tacticool, comes with a scope and everything. All camoed up and ready to go. Howas are good rifles too. </div></div>

Yah, all very cool EXCEPT for the $1300+ price tag.

Does no one know where it is the $179 Savages are being sold at??? None of my local store flyers have any sale like that...

I think the OP and I are fishing for an econo-build, rather than an outright purchase.

I will have to check my local Academy but the last time I saw I THINK they were around 240-250.

Not a horrible looking rifle either. Alot of places that carry Savage will carry the Stevens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at Howa rifles:
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=HWK97102P+

Tacticool, comes with a scope and everything. All camoed up and ready to go. Howas are good rifles too. </div></div>

Yah, all very cool EXCEPT for the $1300+ price tag.

Does no one know where it is the $179 Savages are being sold at??? None of my local store flyers have any sale like that...

I think the OP and I are fishing for an econo-build, rather than an outright purchase.</div></div>

+1 on all that

You can still get a Bushnell 3-9x40 4200 Elite for around $199 right now. That's $100 less than what I paid 18 months ago. They are on closeout.

If you are looking for a way to have a cheap "sniper rifle" you are not going to succeed unless you are willing to compromise. You evidently are way too lazy to do this research for yourself since this forum is freaking plastered with this exact information. Look up prices for yourself and use the SEARCH BUTTON at the top to find the threads that talk about this topic everyday. Also, if you don't think a $1300 price tag for your complete rifle is cheap then you are in the wrong hobby...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are looking for a way to have a cheap "sniper rifle" you are not going to succeed unless you are willing to compromise. You evidently are way too lazy to do this research for yourself since this forum is freaking plastered with this exact information. Look up prices for yourself and use the SEARCH BUTTON at the top to find the threads that talk about this topic everyday. </div></div>

BOOM that just happened..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately, 500 & 900 are out of budget right now, but a $179 action would be perfect for a mixmaster buildup.

Trying to get into a 223 setup, but need to liquidate some brass/22 rifles/other toys, OR find a deal like that Stevens 200 for under $200.

I figure I can find a like new takeoff Savage barrel and aftermarket stock, get some dies, and stay under $400 total. Another <span style="font-weight: bold">150-200 on quality glass</span>, and it's a wrap. </div></div>

WOW, you just said that...quality glass is going to run at least two or three times that to get into the lower end quality...you need to save up and buy something nice the FIRST time, or you will be kicking yourself in the ass when the turrets fall off, the reticle is canted, the internal mechanics do not function properly...please spend at least $500 for something that might not be a complete mistake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately, 500 & 900 are out of budget right now, but a $179 action would be perfect for a mixmaster buildup.

I figure I can find a like new takeoff Savage barrel and aftermarket stock, get some dies, and stay under $400 total. Another <span style="font-weight: bold">150-200 on quality glass</span>, and it's a wrap. </div></div>

WOW, you just said that...quality glass is going to run at least two or three times that to get into the lower end quality...you need to save up and buy something nice the FIRST time, or you will be kicking yourself in the ass when the turrets fall off, the reticle is canted, the internal mechanics do not function properly...please spend at least $500 for something that might not be a complete mistake.
</div></div>

Yes, yes, I said "quality", but that was in response to some else saying go buy a 700 that comes with the freebie scope, so I was talking relative.

And a $200 scope will be just fine, remember this is a thread titled "BUDGET", not "SUPER COOL TATIFAG DECKED OUT".

As for my named scope, I have a Mueller APV for rimfires and it's been fine for many trips now, no such canted ret/broken turrets/etc, and Mueller CS is touted to be top notch. That, and my APV cost $120, much less than comparable scopes. Very popular on RFC for 10/22s and such.

I'd love to spend $500+ on a scope, but that's just not in the gun box yet...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are looking for a way to have a cheap "sniper rifle" you are not going to succeed unless you are willing to compromise. You evidently are way too lazy to do this research for yourself since this forum is freaking plastered with this exact information. Look up prices for yourself and use the SEARCH BUTTON at the top to find the threads that talk about this topic everyday. Also, if you don't think a $1300 price tag for your complete rifle is cheap then you are in the wrong hobby... </div></div>

Complete waste of your time, typing this post. If you think you can't "succeed" with a budget Stevens 200 action buildup, then your not researched. I'm not looking for a 1000yd BR comp rig, just a BUDGET PLATFORM, hence thread title. However, didn't the "Shooting .223 A Mile" guy use a Stevens 200 with a drop in barrel and Bushy 4200? He ended up with what, 0.4 MOA with high BC 90 grain loads? Anyone else know what site/build I'm talking about?

I just did a search for "stevens 200 sale" over the last 30 days to humor you, and guess what. No threads that pop up everyday about what store the 200 is on sale at. Thanks, smart aleck, now what store has/had the sale? Academy's $240 is a nice fallback, I may have to settle for that...

And no, $1300 is not cheap, and I'm not in the wrong hobby. I'm glad you're well off and have plenty of money to throw around, some of us work for Uncle Sam instead of welfaring off him, and that's a lot of money for a spare time hobby. Don't go around telling people that they shouldn't be in OUR hobby.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can still get a Bushnell 3-9x40 4200 Elite for around $199 right now. That's $100 less than what I paid 18 months ago. They are on closeout. </div></div>

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it, do you know where yours was made?

I remember seeing something about certain 4200 models moving from Japan to China...

The thread topic is a "tactical" budget rifle, not a cheap piece of crap that will not shoot accurately or reliable. The reason you do not see anything about this $200 rifle is because no one is too stupid to buy something so useless. You would be better off buying into Daisy products. If you want to start reloading and perfecting your round to your rifle you are going to want a heavy/bull barrel. By the way, I'm not exactly raking in the dough either. I am in college at moment and even I know that a $1300 rig is on the cheap side.

Buy into quality the first time around. Trust me, you don't want to have to buy something else because you bought crap trying to get into the "tacticool scene" without doing research.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thread topic is a "tactical" budget rifle, not a cheap piece of crap that will not shoot accurately or reliable. The reason you do not see anything about this $200 rifle is because no one is too stupid to buy something so useless. </div></div>

I don't think so, <span style="text-decoration: underline">I'm not buying the Stevens 200 for a complete rig, I'm buying it for a $179 Savage action</span>. $30-40 for the old stock and barrel, and swap on a new bull barrel, and its a platform start, and for much less than a Savage 10/12/etc.

$140-160 savage action. <- That's a deal.

Here's the guy/build I was referencing earlier.

An accurate LR rig built on a Stevens 200 action, with aftermarket barrel/stock/trigger and a Bushy 4200.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/shooting-223-mile-1.php

I'm thinking along the same lines, but with a Savage factory takeoff barrel, up in the air on stock still, and a similar scope. (probably less mag, but same quality level)

You will not want to pay more for more magnification because 14x will easily get you out to 1000yards.Your decision to go with .223 is going to be rough for you (unless you are experienced shooting this round that far) if you ever decide to shoot out to 1000yards. The wind throws that tiny bullet all over the place. so unless you are benchrest shooting you need around 12-18x max. Spend most of your money on a scope. The takeoff barrel should serve you nice if you get it fitted and possibly lapped by a smith, but your biggest problem is going to be your desire for an aftermarket stock. It will usually bring you to around $600-900 for a decent stock thats been inletted and bedded to your action. I can promise that this set up is going to cost you more than you expect. Your decision to go with .223 is going to be rough for you if you ever decide to shoot out to 1000yards. The wind throws that tiny bullet all over the place.

Also, the search comment was to the original topic starter, for the savage, and remington 700 comments because this site is completely littered with that information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will not want to pay more for more magnification because 14x will easily get you out to 1000yards, so unless you are benchrest shooting you need around 12-18x max. Spend most of your money on a scope. The takeoff barrel should serve you nice if you get it fitted and possibly lapped by a smith, but your biggest problem is going to be your desire for an aftermarket stock. It will usually bring you to around $600-900 for a decent stock thats been inletted and bedded to your action. I can promise that this set up is going to cost you more than you expect.

Also, the search comment was to the original topic starter, for the savage, and remington 700 comments because this site is completely littered with that information. </div></div>

Thanks, sounds good on both points.
cool.gif