• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Best caliber for coyote hunting???

Re: Best caliber for coyote hunting???

Terrain, wind and situation has abit to do with it too.

When I hunt alone,an autoloader makes sense since it is hard to pull double with a bolt gun. When I hunt with a partner, I often use a larger caliber bolt gun that gives me better reach, knowing that the close in stuff will have a greater chance of success with a partner.

The wind,distances and calling conditions in Idaho, Nevada and Wyoming will dictate a bit different gear than hunting the thick stuff back east.

Situationally dependant.

It all depends on your distance... 17 HMR and 22 mag work short range, 204 and 223 work.. 22-250, 220 swift works great... 243, 6mm, 25-06... hell whatever you are comfortable shooting and can shoot well is what I would use.

With hits on coyotes out to 847 yards. I'll say the .243 but I have also used a .260 with clean pelt saving kills. With a the barnes solid 6.5 110 grain.

I've just picked up an older Rem 700 in 17 Rem. I am making that my lil Coyote slayer. Years ago that, that was the caliber of choice by the so called "Coyote Gods" as the bullet did not tear the hide up.
So, we shall see how the 17 Rem and my Foxpro Firestorm do...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3one5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Curious how the 168 and 175 smk does as far as hide damage and such. </div></div>

I shot one with my 270 with a 130gr. nosler part...
Almost blew the leg off and put a tennis ball size hole in the pelt. So much on the full mount for that dog... ughhh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adkmtnman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've just picked up an older Rem 700 in 17 Rem. I am making that my lil Coyote slayer. Years ago that, that was the caliber of choice by the so called "Coyote Gods" as the bullet did not tear the hide up.
So, we shall see how the 17 Rem and my Foxpro Firestorm do... </div></div>

I shot a .17 Rem back when there was a lot of fox. Probably the best fox caliber of all time. Just a little lazer out to 200 with a 25 gr. berger. Not very good in wind though.

The few coyotes shot with it convinced me it was not a "go to" coyote caliber though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kejones1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been slowly getting into coyote hunting or predator hunting. I have a TC encore pro hunter, I am looking to get a new barrel just for coyote or whatever comes running. I have been using .308, what are you all using?Plus if you could give any advice on calls that you use that would also be appreciated!!! </div></div>

Just use a knife like another hide member does...You don't need no stinking gun!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adkmtnman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've just picked up an older Rem 700 in 17 Rem. I am making that my lil Coyote slayer. Years ago that, that was the caliber of choice by the so called "Coyote Gods" as the bullet did not tear the hide up.

I shot a .17 Rem back when there was a lot of fox. Probably the best fox caliber of all time. Just a little lazer out to 200 with a 25 gr. berger. Not very good in wind though.

The few coyotes shot with it convinced me it was not a "go to" coyote caliber though. </div></div>

TELL ME MORE.... I'd like to hear your expedience with the 17.. Too lite huh? I have plenty of fox where I am at, so that will be fun... I have some Bobcats I have had on camera too.

The one that I got was in GREAT shape, bore was really nice and it was well taken care of. I put a Nikon 6-18SF on it. I really like how it shoots...

I talked with a few guys that SWEAR by the caliber... Said that the 25gr dropped the dogs in their tracks.. I was skeptical, but always wanted the 17 rem so regardless.
I have my dads Sako forester 22-250 that I think would be the more likely caliber, and I am suppose to be getting my uncles Rem 700 22-250. He passed away and his son wanted my dad and I to have a gun. Thats what I picked. I'd like to have one of his guns, be nice to have a part of his past.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adkmtnman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adkmtnman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've just picked up an older Rem 700 in 17 Rem. I am making that my lil Coyote slayer. Years ago that, that was the caliber of choice by the so called "Coyote Gods" as the bullet did not tear the hide up.

The few coyotes shot with it convinced me it was not a "go to" coyote caliber though. </div></div>

TELL ME MORE.... I'd like to hear your expedience with the 17.. Too lite huh? I have plenty of fox where I am at, so that will be fun... I have some Bobcats I have had on camera too.

The one that I got was in GREAT shape, bore was really nice and it was well taken care of. I put a Nikon 6-18SF on it. I really like how it shoots...

I talked with a few guys that SWEAR by the caliber... Said that the 25gr dropped the dogs in their tracks.. I was skeptical, but always wanted the 17 rem so regardless.
I have my dads Sako forester 22-250 that I think would be the more likely caliber, and I am suppose to be getting my uncles Rem 700 22-250. He passed away and his son wanted my dad and I to have a gun. Thats what I picked. I'd like to have one of his guns, be nice to have a part of his past. </div></div>

If you have more fox than coyotes, you made an excellent choice with the .17Rem.

If you have more coyotes than fox, id go .22-250.

Which ever rifle is in the pick up at the time...
I prefer 6mm's and 25's. Take your pick.

eleaf, I saw your pictures, you shot someone's 57 lb Husky. It's a shame you can't tell the difference between an AKC purebred dog and a coyote.

I will give my 2 cents worth. They all do the job. Hell, I even take a 12 ga. for some close up run by shooting. We have had them just come busting by and to fast to get a scope on them.

As a rifle goes, I prefer my .223 with a 55g. V-max, Has worked for me.

Now, I don't kill nearly what PGS or SM do, but I hold my own.

So, with all these post you should see that everyone uses something different.
It all depends if you are keeping the hide or not. I keep the hides.