• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best caliber/rifle for 600-1000 yards.

Re: Best caliber/rifle for 600-1000 yards.

The TRG-22 has an excellent 2-4 lb. two-stage trigger, and, it drops out for easy cleaning/adjustment. The concept accepts the Sako 0 moa Picatinny extended rail, so correct eye relief is assured with any conventional optic. The stock's fully adjustable stock provides most any shooter with the opportunity for a relaxed/comfortable position, with proper stock-weld, whether shooting prone or from any other position. The rifle's fore end rail allows for a hand stop with sling loop for better shooting with a tight sling. Also, the rifle's detachable single stack 10 round box magazine is handy. I like the rifle.

Hi.
I have one Sako TRG-22 in cal.308.
I 'm going to switch my barell to an Krieger 6mmBR (twist 1-8) next year.

Here in Europe they shoot 300 ang 600 yards with 6mmBR.
We havn't a lot of 1000 yards competing, but I heard that they use 6XC and 6mmBR with good results.

Any one here use 6mmBR?

I use 308 and 7mm RM. Like them both.

Let me preface this by saying I am a noob, but from all I have read here, this is what I've seen.

This is basically the setup I got for my first LR rifle.
Clicky!
From what I've read, it doesn't shoot quite as well as teh PSS at 1000 but it isn't far off either. Lighter rifle with shorter barrel, so easier to hump for your hunting. That rifle also comes with a pretty nice scope too for not much more than you were budgeting for just the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tnjacob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the savage is not fancy enough take a hard look at this

http://www.benchrest.com/cgi-bin/classif...query=retrieval </div></div>
I tell you these Coopers are really nice. When they say the most accurate production rifle they mean it. Great service too!

Those are very good rifles, and that one is well priced for a turn-key rig.... Haven't heard too many folks unhappy with their LTR's... The 700P, with it's longer barrel gives you a little extra umph out at the longer ranges. Folks either love or hate the palm swell on it though, so I'd reccomend trying one on for size before buying... I've got a 700P that's mostly stock except for trigger work & add-ons, and a custom build off of the same action... Both are great rigs! Think you would be happy with either, just need to see which one suits your frame best...

shooting deer @ 600 yards for idiots and world class marksmen only. every deer I've ever seen on a hunt was within 2 or 300 yards... usually more like 40-60yds...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chevyrulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shooting deer @ 600 yards for idiots and world class marksmen only. every deer I've ever seen on a hunt was within 2 or 300 yards... usually more like 40-60yds... </div></div>

To each their own I guess...

I'm not an idiot or a world class marksmen...and I have cleanly taken several deer at a bit over 600 yards with a 308. I have also cleanly taken several dozen with a bow that were so close I could smell them. The same with handguns...I use a 45 acp for whitetails here in east TN...with a max range of 40 yards the old 45 puts them down quite well.

The longest shot I have ever made on an animal was with a 308, it was a 1,019 yard shot on a coyote...clean 1 shot kill. But I do agree with MontanaMarine, those type of shots on coyotes do not present themselves often.

It depends on where I'm hunting...if the cover is thick I can get close. If its in the wide open fields...If they are within 600 yards or so...that's close enough for me.

I don't mean to sound cocky...but 600 yards is not really a very hard shot to make with anything similar to 308, 7mm-08, 30-06, 270, 280, etc., etc...All it takes is practice.

That said...know your limitations and ability. If you don't <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">KNOW</span></span> you can make the shot a clean kill...let the deer go, and get him another day.

Its those shots past 800 yards that really get tricky...IMO.

i have been think that the 7WSM would be the way to go. A lot of the guys here are loading it hot and getting some wicked results. "162 Amax, 8.7 twist finished @ 23.5" 3220fps.. "
that will defintly kill a deer at 1000.

That i what i am think of next. Remington 700 long, A hart #4-6 contour fluted finished at around 27" add a break. Not sure on what stock though, with a mk4 or nxs in the 14 power range. should be a killer.

I have used the 300RUM in the past but it uses almost 100gr of powder, but it will kill at long range all day long. It is not a good gun to shoot alot in a row because of heat and barrel life.

If i were you why not have a custom built? It might not be by GAP or anyone but it will still shoot great and be at a $1000 done. with out scope of course.

As for the 308, the 3006 will do the same thing as the 308 in a longaction. they are very close to the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wcrtexas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not know much about long-range target shooting and could not suggest a rifle for your described purpose. I have been hunting in West Texas my whole life. I have no idea how many coyotes and deer I have killed. I can't imagine whacking coyotes at 800 yards in a mesquite pasture. I don't think I have ever seen a coyote at that distance. Generally you get a quick glimpse of a coyote moving pretty quick at sundown. If you miss with your first shot you won't get a second. Most of my coyote kills have been within 200 yards with a 243. I carried a 243 in the truck and fired out the window. Loud but effective. As far as deer are concerned I don't think I have shot at a deer at over 300 yards. Most of the time my shots have been less than 150 yards. I have spotted deer at distances well over 300 yards but have always been able to work around for a closer shot. I can't see much reason to shoot at deer at the distances you suggest. I do understand the desire to shoot things at long-range. It is great fun. I just hate the thought of not making a clean kill and leaving the clean-up to the coyotes. I would suggest you concentrate on getting closer to the deer and just take what you can get with the coyotes.

WCR </div></div>

+1 I work @ a ranch near Cotulla, TX on the weekends and have permission to shoot the vermin I used to carry a Rock River AR15 16" 223 Rem but then decided to move up to a 308 for the hogs and such and it has been very effective not that the little 223 couldn't handle it but shot placement isn't as critical most of my shots are under 200 yds due to the heavy South Texas brush you can probrably go out to 500 yds on the big cenderos at the ranch I'm at but with some corn on the road you can probrably drive up to the deer within a 150 yards or so
smile.gif

well anyways I would go something along the lines of a Remmy LTR in 308 and some good glass you could easily do 600 and 1K with lots of practice thats what I shot with untill I got my Surgeon Scalpel with a 20" Krieger she's on the heavy side but I take most shots off the truck

I say I take my shots 80% @ 50-200 yds
17% @ 300 yds
3% @ 300+ yds

mostly because I'm limited due to the heavy brush and short roads although I'd love to have some long range practice on some yotes @ 500 and beyond
smile.gif

I took a mule deer at 450 yards with my pre-64 model 70 in .270 with a Nikon 3-12 set at 12x. It was about 45 minutes from the time the first doe walked into the open until I took the shot at the dominant buck. I was glassing them throught the scope the whole time. It was getting dark and I had at least a foot hold over. The buck dropped dead on the first shot. Gun and caliber made all the difference in that situation.

If you're not rolling your own, then .308 or 300 Win Mag are probably your "best" choices in the sense that they will do what you need while having quite a bit of load selection and over the counter availability. .308 will get a drunken monkey out to 800-900 yds. 950+ yds can have some issues. 300 Win Mag will not have those issues but will beat you up more and be more expensive to shoot.

I would go with .308 just because it is cheaper to shoot. Depends on how often you really are able to get out to 1000yds though.

$1500 will get you alot of options in the factory precision bolt gun field. It won't really get you into a TRG though. Maybe check out Tikka T3's though (Tikka is Sako's less expensive brand). Also be sure to look at the FN SPR's and the Rem 700 5r model.

for generic 600>1000 yard shooting yeah a .308 is great, expecialy if you dont hand load, but any swerious shooter trying to be dead accurate at that range willhand load any way

but then a 30.06 is abouts the same as a .308 ballisiticly so stick with that if you have a decent rifle..

what ever cal you choose the sako's are great (havent shot one my self) but i have shot their little sisters the tikka t3's FANTASTIC for the money i would reconmend a tikka t3 tactical or the same thing without the threading and a different finish and cheaper (alot cheaper) get a tikka t3 super varmint

i know i bang on about the tikka t3 super varmint, but the actions are silky smooth (all tikka t3's ive shot have been) and i have not heard a single bad thing about them

but then on the flip side shooting yotes out to 1000 deer at 600 a bigger cal i think would be better a 30. mag of some flavour heck a .338 it all depends on exactly what you want and how much $$$ you want to spend

(just saw sb_pete's post soz for saying the same thing, but its true)

My votes for a .300Win Mag. Deer at 600yds, and you don't want to injure it. Or if you can find one under your limit .338Lapua.

OK, my $0.02: Montana makes a good point. If you have been shooting a 30-06, then there is nothing a 308 can do that the '06 can't do just a bit better (except for cost and recoil). The '06 is a great all-round caliber that is capable of practically everything the 308 can do. You would save on your cost of a rifle. You could then spend your $1500 on upgrades to your '06 like a McMillan stock and a good scope.

That being said, if you are going to be shooting a lot, then cost becomes a factor. The 308 uses less powder (if you are going to reload) and the factory ammo is a bit cheaper. The recoil is also a bit more manageable. If you are dead-set on buying a new gun, then the suggestions of getting a Remington 700 SPS Varmint (heavy barrel) in 308 are good. This will come to about $500 if you find a good used one. Next I would spend good money on optics. Lots of good choices here and a wide range of costs too, but if you got something like a SS 10X with good rings and base, you would have money left over for ammo to practice with. With this set-up you will be in the game and have the potential to shoot 90% with the big boys who have $3-4K rigs. The shots you mention of wanting to be able to make, are doable, but with practice. The key is trigger time. Hopefully this helps answer your question. Others feel free to correct any errors I have inadvertently made. I don't profess to be an expert in the field but do enjoy shooting and have had some experience of my own.

Oh, and +1 on what BuckyBrew said about having to prove yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coyote14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Honestly, whats with all this interrogation and accusing? 3 guns, old fashioned, never done much gun exploring. I never said my dad was a sniper either, he just has a lot of experience with long range shooting. Also a .270 and 30.06 are good up to 600 yards, past that I don't want to risk injuring a deer, so I have never used anything besides those because I have never needed too. Not to mention I never said I never had a clue, I had a few ideas and wanted to hear someone elses. I bow hunt just as much as a shoot, and my dad never gave me formal training just a lot of tips over the years as well as some other advice. And as I mentioned above I never said I was going to hit a coyote I said I might attempt to. I'm sorry I wasn't so descriptive with my backround with the whole shooting thing, I put it there for the guy that was wondering about any experience shooting I might have. So it isn't there for any reason other to as a tool to help someone determine the right rifle.
I mean god, I just wanted a few opinions not a full blown investigation/interrogation with only about two answers both to the caliber part of the question. </div></div>

Just sayin, we got two pages on this thread, 40 something posts, and out of ALL of those there are about 6 that have to do with the point of the thread, the others are all yelling at me saying I'm lying. Maybe I should change my name move to another country. THEN come back and ask a simple single question and actually getting an answer. </div></div>.308 runs out of gas around 1000yd down. with skill you can take it farther. since you're shooting factory ammo i would expect 1000yd from .308 to be the very top of your reach. .308 should also be easy to find ammo for. there's match grade and surplus around for it.

as for rifles, i also vote rem 700. since you want distance go with one of the 26" barrels. SPS varmint in .308 should fit that bill. the weak spot on these is the stock (cheap ABS) and the trigger now. shoot it awhile first before you judge the trigger but don't put much faith in the SPS stock.

scopes are much more opinion oriented. speaking for myself, distance means i want fairly high magnification. high magnification means i want good glass so the picture still looks nice. bottom of the line for scopes i'd do a Falcon Menace. take your pick there. if you want to spend more look at the mid level leupolds (braces for impact) on up to about $800. if you get into that price range you can get more for your money with IOR Valdada or Zeiss. probably others too.

that's my $.02. i'm sure someone will disagree.

fwiw, 30-06 shouldn't be much different than .308. velocities are about the same and it's a 30 cal bullet either way. .308 might give you more choices in ammo for your specific need. i haven't shopped 30-06 though.

Cooper is now making a laminated stock rifle. They make it in three different models. The price is about $1400. And you can get one in the 6.5X55 Swede cartridge. They also have it in a 6.5X284, but I would go with the Swede cartridge. The rifle has a 1/2 MOA accuracy guarantee with match ammo. That is probably the best "bang for the buck guarantee" in the industry. Tom.

http://cooperfirearms.com/rifles.php?rifle_name=vl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Shoot the 30-06 you have been using for 14 years. You won't have to learn a new rifle. 30-06 is as good as anything at 1000 yards with over the counter ammo. </div></div>

+1

- take your old rifle to known gunsmith
- tell smith that you will shoot far, using xxxx HPBT factory load
- he will re-barrel and tweak it for you
- USE SAVED MONEY for high quality optics: mrad clicks/ good mrad -based reticle in FFP
- enjoy

100 calibers will fill your needs, but none of them will hit with bad optics. flatter trajectory wont make any difference if scope doesent work. Prepare to dump another +1500 in scope and mount...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to shoot things like coyotes at the 800-1000 yard range, texas deer at about 600 yards, and paper at the 600-1000 yard range. I have been shooting every weekend at ranges around 200 to 600 yards for about 14 years, my dad was in the Australian SAS and has taught me to shoot a rifle for 11 out of those 14 years. I just buy my ammo (I'm kinda lazy with that) from stores. My price range is up to $1500. Use that to determine what you think is the best rifle and caliber for me. Thanks. </div></div>
Thats almost exactly what I do with my 6.5 Creedmoor and it does it lights out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...he just has a lot of experience with long range shooting. Also a .270 and 30.06 are good up to 600 yards, past that I don't want to risk injuring a deer, </div></div>

Since I didn't see this addressed yet in the first page, here's my take.

1) The 308 is a step DOWN in capability from the 30-06 and a properly loaded 270

2) Your father, not knocking your claimed experience, has this a bit wrong from my experience. The 30-06 has about 50% again the range capability commonly associated with the 308.

If you want to spend 1500 on a rifle, you don't load your own ammo, and you want to shoot 600-1k precisely, then you need to look at a Savage or a Remington.

I personally have a 30-06 that I built on a k98 action which will do everything my dad's 308 will do and it will continue to do that for another 500 or more yards.

My suggestion would be to go spend money on a decent Rem or Savage, put good optics on it, and spend $300 on the basics for reloading. What you learn from reading here, reading books on reloading, and shooting more will improve your shooting skills.

Now to the actual topic of caliber, I'd tell you to go get something in 30 cal. The 308 will allow you to shoot about a dozen off the shelf match loadings, the 30-06 cuts that in half. If you're reloading then that's a pointless argument.

The "inherent" accuracy of the 308 above the 30-06 has been pretty much dispelled IMO considering the accuracy levels that the 308 vs. 30-06 are being compared at for this myth are now considered "meager" at best. MontanaMarine has posted his results with a well built 06 and a 308 next to each other. It's virtually indistinguishable.

The distinguishing trait is that his location allows him to throw pills from the 30-06 to more than a mile.

My own experience loading 210gr class match bullets in my 30-06 puts me within 50-100 fps of a 300 Win Mag. Sure, it's not actually the 300 Winnie, but being 50-100 fps slower than a 300 WM instead of 300fps FASTER than a 308 with the same bullet is a no brainer.

If you really string out a 155 Scenar in a 308 they are knocking on the door at 3000fps, I launch 155 Amax at 3100 all day with a load that's about 1.5gr off the listed max from a loading manual. That 308 load is almost ALWAYS above the max.

The saying in racing is "there's no replacement for displacement". The same thing happens here when you're comparing cartridges throwing the same bore size bullet.

The 30-06 is still immensely popular, so components are easy to get for it, the capability for shooting 600y TX whitetails is much more present than a 308, and if you want to bag a dog at 1k when you connect, the dog isn't going to live from it.

grin.gif

You guys realize that you revived a 2 1/2 year old thread... WTF?

My preference, as is well known, is for the .260. But if you don't handload, practically any of the other .308 based cases, including the .308, will better serve you. Those chamberings are, .243, 7mm-08, 338 Fed., and .358 Win. Factory ammo in those chamberings will do you just fine, but .260 offerings are more sparse.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm new to this site and to forums in general (not on computer much). But my question is this. What is the best (or most recommended) caliber and then what rifle in that caliber for a range of 600 to 1000 yards? And please no answers like depends on the shooter, just give me some of your honest opinions. Thanks! </div></div>

7wsm in a tika super varmint + 20x mark 4 lr/t glass around $1500 total. If you cant get it done with that budget build "its the Indian not the arrow.

seems to me that this thread was started for an argument.just dont seem to be very sicere.

Great advice...I started with a 308 pss/ leupy mk 4 set up and used factory 168gr and 175gr match grade federal ammo and shoot sub moa at 1000 all day long...just my 2 cents

Rem 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag. I love mine. Reliable shots every time, and plenty of power when it gets down range. Just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raptor99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My question would be is what are you using for a scope now?? Are you using hold over to shoot to 600yds or are you dialing??

If your wanting to shoot animals at long range you better get a magnum because you owe it to the animal you hunt to make a clean kill.

Shooting animals at long range is an ego thing in my opinion. Stalk closer and make a clean kill. Shoot paper and steel at 600+ yards not animals.

</div></div>

With the ability to shoot at these distances, and a strong enough caliber to take the animal a clean kill can be made.
The chances of making a clean kill at 100 yards or 600 yards with a good shooting ability doesnt change much. Ive shot plenty of deer @ 100-200 yards with my rem 7mm Mag and the animal runs 100 yards or more, dying shortly after

6.5x.284 gets my vote for best at 600-1000 yards - everything else being equal.

I live in eugene oregon also and we probably hunt in the same spots, and we probably both sight in our guns at the mcgowin shooting range, I use a .270 and took a coyote at 460yards from my back porch this morning! either 30.06 or .270 will work great

Sounds like my kind of a back porch!
If you really want to do what you say, I would agree with some of the others here and say you already have a good enough caliber.
Bullet selection, twist rate, etc. will likely answer more of your questions than which caliber.

I like the reliable .308...Not as flat as some but still love it....

win .06 or WM will do. Im early win '54 &' 60 mod 70 AND '94 mod 70 SG BOSS in 06 and win mag. love 'em WORK all day any day. works for me, have a ball. my com is missing several keys. sorry, of a slew of cen. fire(20) I need a .270 bad. awesome cal......

Farrk i cant believe some of the F*%K Wits on here, this bloke asks advice on a cartridge and rifle and he gets crucified,
why would he need to 'prove' anything to anyone, if you dont want to put your 2 cents in then FK right off... he's asking for help not for smart a$$ remarks. FOR the people who asked for proof of shooting ability, why dont you provide some proof for your own abilities.... Im still wondering how you would go about doing that but anyway.

For the original poster..

the 30-06 you are already familiar with may already fit the bill.
if you want to get something newer and upgrade the stick you are using, try a common round, like the .300 WM (or even another 30 cal Magnum, WM is just my pref) as it is easy and cheap to obtain ammo for and IMO will be more then adequate to take game at long distances.

PS taking game at long range is not an ego thing, if your not confident in your abilities, then yer i agree, don't try it, but if its what you train to do, then why not?

In no particular order for 600-1000 yards:

- 300WM or WSM
- 6.5x47 Lapua
- 7WSM
- 338 Lapua would be a hammer at that range!

22lr, 22wmr, 17hmr,223,243,260,270,308,300wm,7mm,,300rum,338rum,338lapua,50bmg that's pretty close to my order of things.

I like the 300 win. mag. flat shooting and the recoil is not as bad as many people make it out to be. Just what I like and shoot.