• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best carry .45

Re: Best carry .45

+1. On the H&K USP 45C. I carry it in a crossbreed supertuck holster. It is comfortable, hidden and I know it will go bang if I have to use it.

I carry an ed brown bobtail, and a springfield armory champion bobtail. The bobtail makes carrying iwb a lot better.

I have alot 1911 platforms but as strange as it sounds their to nice and pretty to put wear and tear on them,thats why I like the durability of My Glocks they can take alot more everyday punishment and not show it.My G=30 was my 24/7 carry gun for the past several years and it looks like the day it came outta of the plastic box.Now my G36 takes her place and is doing a Dam fine job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bshaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SmokeRolls

The Eclipse is all stainless and weighs a noticeable amount less than the Colt Combat Commander in steel with nickel finish that I had. I sold it to my neighbor, I'll try to get it this weekend, weigh both guns and report back.

bshaw </div></div>
I have a full size Eclipse 10mm and its Stainless steel and heavy,I think too heavy for 24/7 concealed carry.

Nighthawk T3 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB: disappears under a tee shirt, still easy to get to in a light jacket.

bshaw: I am just giving a fact on the metal Stainless ( Cres / SS ) verses steel ( CFE ). If the two metals are the exact size, the stainless piece will weigh more. Comparing two pistols from different manufacturers is not necessarily an even comparison. One manufacturer may shave some weight off by making it thinner or give it a melted look like Kimber does on some of their carry models. Not trying to be difficult but just stating a fact. Stainless models will be a touch heavier if all the sizes and thicknesses are the same. Thats one of the reasons that stainless is used so heavily in the food service. The density / particles are so compact and tight, there is no areas that food can get trapped in the metal......SmokeRolls

smokerolls

Didn't think you were being difficult at all. In fact you are right, the density of steel is slightly less than stainless (7.86 vs 8.03) Which makes my statement that the Kimber is lighter because it's stainless quite wrong. You are also right about the Kimber being thinner. Kimber weighs 1020 grams and the Colt is 1082 grams.

I stand corrected, but I still like it as my carry gun

bshaw

pistolsides.jpg

GEDC0659.jpg

if you are stuck the 1911 type, then springfield would be my choice.

however, imo the Sig 220 is a MUCH better weapon for carry than a 1911.

But i do carry sometimes carry firearms without holsters, so....

The Sig is much safer to carry that way..

1911 style - STI
smile.gif

glock 36 IMO

You don't have a hair on your ass if you don't carry a full-sized, hi-cap 1911 with a light on it - all the time!
And 3 backup mags, just in case.

SVI1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">imo the Sig 220 is a MUCH better weapon for carry than a 1911.</div></div>

IMO a full size 1911 is the best carry weapon...
...for me. I shoot it better than any other style...probably because I've owned at least one since 1974. Each of us must decide what works best. My retired cop uncle would tell you the best is a Smith 19.

One man's trash...

bshaw: I am impressed with your thorough investigation. The next time I am wrong on something, I would hope it would be you that serves me a correction.......Nice work..I like stainless carry's as well. I enjoy both of my Kimbers...SmokeRolls

Rancid: Nice Caspian. As far as the hairy ass thing goes....I have a field of it...I don't think there is a connection between owning/ carrying a double stack 1911 with a tactical X series light with three mags and a hairy butt. If thats the case, I am an exception to the rule..Does that mean I am grandfathered in? Haha Nice pistol though ..SmokeRolls

While the HK USPc and G30's are fine tools, I personally think they are too "blocky" for a CCW. I've had 2 G30's and an HKUSPc (in both 9mm and 45) and just couldn't reason why they were better than my 1911's.
My favorite little 45 is my SA Micro. For a while there it had FTRB's every now and again when it would start to get dirty (70+ rds). Recently I finally figured that I'd try Wolff +power Kimber ultra CDP springs in it. They went in without a hitch and the little monster runs 100%. When I was testing it out I was banging away mag after mag holding it just thumb and middle finger weak hand.
I'm now a happy guy. I'll be happier if I can get a SA Compact in my collection someday. Why they discontinued their best CCW size 1911 is beyond me.......

For me, I hate to do without my "custom made for me and fitted to my hand and style" 1911.

There is a reason John Browning designed it with a 5" barrel, when I use the proper spring for the load, I make 2" groups @15 yards all day without using any sights other than referencing the front one, do some research before getting a shorter barrel or undersize frame.

As far as Les Baur or STI, take a good look at what is being used by the top competitors in IPSC, the only thing I have to tell you about STI though is you just have to forget it it you live in CommieFornia, they even have a statement to this effect.

"Their policy is basically refuse to sell their products anywhere that only allowsthem to be purchased by state representatives and not law-abiding citizens"

My 3" Micro ran 10 shots in 1.5"W X 1"H las time I shot it for a group at 50 ft, not bad for 230gr WWB out of a factory production pistol.

The right spring for the load is for function, if you barrel isn't locking up properly for accuracy, its not a spring issue......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">imo the Sig 220 is a MUCH better weapon for carry than a 1911.</div></div>

IMO a full size 1911 is the best carry weapon...
...for me. I shoot it better than any other style...probably because I've owned at least one since 1974. Each of us must decide what works best. My retired cop uncle would tell you the best is a Smith 19.

One man's trash...
</div></div>

+1. I carry a Springfield fullsize 1911 with a single backup mag and ive carried other smaller guns. I like the 1911 more

Anyone else have a Star Firestar M45? Nice compact piece/boat anchor.

I liked my springer stainless champion but Love my TRP operator way more. So my vote goes to the TRP series.

have you looked at the colt defender series 90? 3" barrel, 7 shot, aluminum frame. Small, light and works just like it's big brothers.

I just got one, and am surprised how accurate it is for a 3"

good luck,
tedbiv

I've had good luck with the H&K USPc in 45 also. As an added bonus, It's big enough to shoot IDPA with, thereby honing your skills with your carry gun.

For warmer weather, the Kahr PM45 is nice. Mine had some issues from the factory but after I sent it back (Kahr paid shipping both ways) and they replaced the slide, it works flawlessly. Don't buy the crap about the 200 round break in. Mine never smoothed out even after 500 rounds. If it doesn't work, send it back and they'll fix it. Shouldn't have to monkey around with a $500+ pistol. Plus, for carry purposes, it needs to be flawless.

For anything from 14 yrold gangbangers to 15 year old charging elephants.

Cant get the pic to come up, but it was of a 600 nitro express.

As soon as my Florida permit arrives, I plan on carrying my P-3AT, but I would also like something with more punch, and I came across a Para Ordinance Warthog at my local store.

It is a double stack with 10+1 and I'm pretty tempted to go for it. The only negative is the small backstrap.

para_warthog.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jculpjr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As soon as my Florida permit arrives, I plan on carrying my P-3AT, but I would also like something with more punch, and I came across a Para Ordinance Warthog at my local store.

It is a double stack with 10+1 and I'm pretty tempted to go for it. The only negative is the small backstrap.

para_warthog.jpg
</div></div>

Keep in mind they make a new bottom metal for the mag that gives you about another inch to hold on to. My wife has it in 9mm and its not a bad little pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Keep in mind they make a new bottom metal for the mag that gives you about another inch to hold on to. My wife has it in 9mm and its not a bad little pistol. </div></div>

The one I'm looking at has that, which is nice. The backstrap size still kind of bothers me, but it's obviously a tradeoff for the size.

I've also heard that the mags require a spring mod so that the last round can be chambered. Thanks for the comment though.

Smith and Wesson 1911 PD - scandium 4" comander sized pistol

in Galco summer special type IWB and Mernickle highride holsters

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jculpjr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As soon as my Florida permit arrives, I plan on carrying my P-3AT, but I would also like something with more punch, and I came across a Para Ordinance Warthog at my local store.

para_warthog.jpg
</div></div>

Keep in mind they make a new bottom metal for the mag that gives you about another inch to hold on to. My wife has it in 9mm and its not a bad little pistol. </div></div>

That makes it 1/4" shorter than a full size frame. No real gain for CCW, IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That makes it 1/4" shorter than a full size frame. No real gain for CCW, IMO. </div></div>

For pocket carry it would, but I agree with other methods- not a big difference.

I could never pocket carry my Sig Sauer 1911 Revolution Carry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No love for the HiPoint?</div></div>

Great tools for pistol whuppin

I have a full size SA 1911A1 that I have done alot of custom work on. I carry this for concealed. I built my wife a 1911A1 fullsize frame & cut it down for my 3.5" barrel & slide. She loves it & it shoot perfectly.

For the street, a Kimber Custom CDP II in a Kramer #3 IWB with four spare magazines, because I ain't runnin' out first, unless the other guy has a Glock and a couple 33 round magazines. Otherwise, a pair of HKs, a 45 and a 45c. I'm also workin' on a Colt Gold Cup National Match Series 80 that's gonna get tricked out (hard chromed, ambi safety, etc.) and swap in and out with the Kimber.

I love to shoot my 1911s, but for a civilian concealed carry .45 I like my full size Sig P220 SAS with DAK trigger. It's light, smooth, safe and accurate enough.

Love my S&W 4583. Before I found it, I carried a Glock 30. If the G30 is your choice, I highly recommend the Galco Royal Guard.

Most often, though, I can be found with my Glock 31, 32, or BOTH. I like the ballistics of the .357Sig better, and the extra capacity doesn't hurt my feelings either.

Oh, and if I may "borrow" a minute of the thread... who the hell came up with this falling on your ass and getting paralyzed bit when carrying SOB? Can anyone provide references? Does anyone really find this <span style="font-style: italic">likely?</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csi:cyberspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh, and if I may "borrow" a minute of the thread... who the hell came up with this falling on your ass and getting paralyzed bit when carrying SOB? Can anyone provide references? Does anyone really find this <span style="font-style: italic">likely?</span>
</div></div>

Lots of people do: http://www.911jobforums.com/showthread.php?p=366853

Carry a Les Baer Customer Carry 4.25". Also carry a full size Nighthawk, too. The Milt Sparks Versa-Max II makes it easy to carry a full size Government when wearing shorts and a tee shirt...

I carried a 220 SIG for years, reliable and very accurate. I compete with a Kimber Super Match and for that reason I switched to a Kimber Gold Combat for carry. I also have a KAHR PM45 which I carry in a Cross Breed IWB which is a nice setup.

Chris

Over the last year, I have carried a 5", 3", and now a 4" bobbed. I think the 4" bobbed is hitting right in the sweet spot between concealment and grip size. The 3" is the lightest, but has the shortest grip. The 5" was a little heavy and a little uncomfortable at times.

What is just as important is the holster and even more important is the belt. If you have not used a special belt built for carry, you are missing out. It is not the width of the belt, but the stiffness that is important. A good belt will help you put the gun in the right place and keep it there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 5" was a little heavy and a little uncomfortable at times.</div></div>

See Lindy's post above.

My carry rig:

DSCN1899.jpg