• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Best "CHEAP" 1911?

Glen1978

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2012
Buena Vista, CO
Got the itch to buy a 1911 recently and trying to scratch it. Im a Glock guy so dont wana spend a ton of cash on this venture. I was in the LGS today and handled a Citadel and man it sure was nice. He was high on it at $619, but have seen them for $500 online. Even saw some Tisas but didnt handle them.....but for $400 it might do the trick! I had my heard pretty sat on a SA Mil Spec but I think thats outa my range. I would just buy a RIA but cant get past that stupid banner of a roll mark.....plus the Citadel is built by the same folks I believe. Would love the STI Spartan but outa my price range and from what Ive heard there just a hot rodded RIA put together with STI parts and by STI smiths.

Whats yalls take on these cheaper guns? Just a range toy.

I would personally spend a little more money on the sti or SA. If going to maybe eventually have the gun sent off and have rebuilt start with a decent frame and slide that will come with the two mentioned. Probably have almost as much in the gunsmith tightening the slide and frame on a RIA as you will now if you go ahead and buy a little more expensive one. I know a guy right now trying to tighten the slide and frame on a gun in the RIA range and has a big gap at the rear of slide after peening it forever to tighten the fit. Probably won't effect much but still doesn't look good.

I just dont wana spend Springfield or Spartan money honestly. Just gona be a plinker, no need for it to be perfect. Im pretty hung up on that Citadel. The LGS I was at sold anything from Tisas to Kimber and he said hey check out this..... Had all the nice parts, lowerd and flared ejection port, beavertail, skeleton trigger/hammer and ambi safety. The slide was like BUTTER! Ive read that RIA has got rid of the big dumb banner on the side and changed out the plain grips to black something or other on new guns.

Auto Ordnance give loads of bang for the buck, can be found between 475 and 500. Break it down and rub grease on, runs as hard as those costing twice or more.

Not intended to offend, but I recommend buying another Glock. At $400 it's a crap shoot and if you roll snakes eyes, you'll be cursing 1911s 'til you die. Sort of like buying a Pinto and expecting Vette performance.

Reactions: IowaPlinker
I have a stack of glock's and a stack of 1911's and I find my self always grabbing the 1911's the glock's almost never get out.. but that's just my personal preference they fit me. the thing is that you can buy one or the other and if you don't like it sell it and buy something different. you will probably end up with both any way.

One more suggestion look into 10mm RIA makes one and that will be my next purchase I want one I can beat around. I have a glock 29 and several 1911 10mm's but I want a less expensive one to beat around

I've never owned a 1911 in your price range, but if I were to buy one the Rock Islands are ones I've heard the most positives about. Good prices and good to deal with here (of course you'll be able to find others who will say otherwise):
Buy Rock Island Armory at BudsGunShop

But here's my advice (worth just what you're paying for it). Save up for a more expensive 1911. Trust me that you're going to like 1911s. And I've regretted purchasing some guns I've bought on price. But never regretting paying more for better quality. So if you buy the cheap one, chances are you're going to want to get out of it and get a better one. Buy once, cry once.

If you are dead set on staying in that price point I would go with the RIA. have heard they are good for price point but never handled one.

I hate to beat the dead horse one more time, but in the event you missed the consensus, if you're not going to step into the next price range, then RIA has been making some nice serviceable 1911s for quite a while now.
Alot of us with 1911 addictions forget that the original government pistols were not built to fantastic specs and still worked just fine. I'm just as guilty of buying really expensive pistols for the fit, finish, trigger, accuracy, etc. but on man-sized targets at reasonable combat distances every one of my 1911s does the job just as well. There's just some I worry about scratching and others I don't.
It sounds like all you want is a plinker and aren't going to be stressing over "X" rings, so a less expensive 1911s and quality mags (look at Tripp) should get you going. I don't sell "old" 1911s to buy new ones, and if you're the same way you'll just end up with a bunch of them instead of selling the RIA to move up the ladder.

I have a Rock Island, in the 22 TCM and 9 mm caliber. It works fine but compared to my dad's Ed (piece of crap company) Brown and Kimbers... its a piece of crap too. Save your money and get a Kimber unless you have to have one then I got the 22 TCM, which is sweet! I can shoot out to 200 yards no problem! And I can convert it back to regular 9mm to save cash.

SA milspec ALL DAY LONG as a base line pistol, their CS is top notch if you ever have issues with it.

I own no handguns currently, but have owned several 1911's in the past, shooting 3-Gun Bullseye, a series 70 Gold Cup, an Auto Ordinance, several AMT's including a Long Slide, and even built several from parts.

If I were to own a handgun again, I would skip right to the chase and get the SA Range Officer. Worth saving up the Grand.

Greg

Pulled the trigger on the Citadel last night. There the same thing as the RIA tactical but come with two mags instead of one. I got it on Gunbroker last night for south of $450 bucks. Gotta love non reserve auctions that end at 9pm on a Saturday night! LOL! I went to a gunshow today and looked at a bunch. I think if I were to buy a nice 1911 if would be the SA TRP. That is a pimp of a 1911!

Not intended to offend, but I recommend buying another Glock. At $400 it's a crap shoot and if you roll snakes eyes, you'll be cursing 1911s 'til you die. Sort of like buying a Pinto and expecting Vette performance.

This guy has it right. There aren't any good $400 1911's. If that's your budget, find a used sig or beretta. In my opinion, every man should own a real steel, american made, 1911. The troube is that 1911's require some knowledge and TLC to build and run.

Well got the Citadel. Took it apart.....wow! What a PITA compared to a Glock!! Loaded it up and shot 42 rounds and only had 1 FTF. I was shooting reloads so that coulda had a part in that. I love the gun. I got $450 in it and wish I had bought two at the same price. Granted it needs more rounds thru it to check out how its really gona act but as of now Im happy!

I've had a couple of rocks but not any more. one of them was the 10mm that folks rant about. For the price it was ok. It was at the repair facility longer than my safe. Yes they took care of the major issues but overall I was just not happy with that price range. Sold it and bought a used series 1 kimber and am quite happy.

I'd consider the Magnum Research/Desert Eagle 1911. The trigger on that pistol is outstanding for about 700.00.

+1 rock island, i bought my r.i. 11 years ago, its had thousands of rounds through it and still goes bang every time. the slide is a bit sloppy compared to some but i vouch for hitting 20oz coke bottles at 50 yds. the newer ones have a lil bit different feel than mine however not sure if anything has changed.

I had a Taurus that went boom and hit the target every time I pulled the trigger, what more can you ask for. I traded it and a Glock in on a Kimber 1911 though....

RIA 2011 Tactical

Or, Taurus... but RIA is my number one.

negative on the taurus. i tried one out. within a month every spring in it was losing tension. had to replace hammer spring and recoil spring within two weeks. less than 300 rounds. that was just to cycle. than had to replace the leaf spring becuase i started getting hammer following the slide home. thank god for the half cock notch. Oh and the slide release had a crack at the junction to the pin and lever. had to replace it almost immediately. but luckily had some parts around. and after all taht it still shot like shit. sold it quickly and at a big loss. Im not a tuarus hate either. i like th ept945s and the beretta clone. decent pistols. but the 1911 is a POS.

Check out Cabot Guns....On Youtube. These guys are around the corner from me in Western Pa.....I personally own a mildly tricked out Colt Comander that I am sure will hang with the best of them.

Rock island is good. remington has the best trigger on the cheaper ones and the gun feels light as well.