• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Chronograph out there?

From me you get the whole two bits worth.

For many years I used a Shooting Crony. Not the easiest to set up and since my home range has issues with the cover shading the firing line out to as far as twenty feet, forget it after 2:00 in any season except summer. But, it worked...Unitl I committed the sin that almost all Chrony’s seem to suffer, I shot the darned thing.

So, for a Christmas Present, my wife and son purchased me a nice PACT chronograph. Same fun setting it up, but the thing never worked, Never. One afternoon out of the blue it gave me about seven shot readings and then quit again, never to function. I sent it to the factory, with the required check. They sent both the unit and the check back saying it was fine. I tried it again several times, no joy.

I noted that our son was using a Magnetospeed with some good results. So, i purchased one. Setting up was a chore, but once set, it seemed to work, unitl it slipped down the barrel of my .35 Whelen and I damaged the the plastic mount. Called the company, inquiring about a repair. They complimented my honesty about the way the unit was damaged, said there was no way the unit could be repaired. They offered to sell me another unit for 15% off. As I always had issues with getting the unit tight enough on the barrel, I politely declined.

So, our son and I split the cost of a Labradar. He uses it more than I so it lives at his home in Florida. Being here for a few weeks, I took it out last Sunday and again, Wednesday. Fired close to 65 shots through it on Sunday and 12 shots on Wednesday. First, put it on its tripod, set it at a 45 degree angle from the muzzle brake, line it up on the target, with the simple sight. Open the app on the phone, tell the unit you want a new string, press arm and go to it.

I only lost two shots. The unit had moved. Re-aiming it got the unit right back to recording shots.

The Labradar is the easiest chronograph I have ever used, and the most reliable. No more shutting down the entire range while walking back and forth between the shooting bench and the sky screens, trying to get all three points lined up, no more worrying with getting the bayonet at the exact distance from the bore line then constantly worrying with the straps trying to keep it in place. To my mind, the Labradar is the only plan.

Of course, your milage may vary.

Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
Ohler don't sell much stuff anymore. I has a 35 a few years back, or was it a 25 ? Either way, via an unfortunate event, I do not have it anymore. (No, I didn't shoot it!)

I have a Caldwell G2 and completely love it. Never experienced what You had going on, the only thing I noticed once, when I was by myself, I got weird reading errors, and it was a REAL sunny day. Repositioned myself and chrono to be in shade, BAM 100% reliable again.

Weird you had issues, never had heard or part audio for a trigger ? I'd love to open one up and see what's in it, but don't want to ruin a perfectly working one.

Not sure that is true anymore, it is cheaper than labradar and comes with all the parts.

Reactions: iceng
I had the Magnetospeed for many years (Version 1). Followed by many years of LabRadar use (I think I had series #575 on there before selling it).

Now, I own the Andiscan. Honestly, it's the best unit out there on the market currently. The 3D printing leaves a lot to be desired BUT it works out of the box. No fuss. Super small. The one thing that bothered me with other chronos was transportation size... Now, I can bring this unit to matches across the country or to a range day in the mountains.

I had the Magnetospeed for many years (Version 1). Followed by many years of LabRadar use (I think I had series #575 on there before selling it).

Now, I own the Andiscan. Honestly, it's the best unit out there on the market currently. The 3D printing leaves a lot to be desired BUT it works out of the box. No fuss. Super small. The one thing that bothered me with other chronos was transportation size... Now, I can bring this unit to matches across the country or to a range day in the mountains.

Thanks for reporting your experiences.

Reactions: NiteQwill