• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing best coyote bait to hunt over?

Re: best coyote bait to hunt over?

dont have a cat, have a 95 pound german shepherd imported from czech (not the fake show quality usa kind), not sure a coyote would want that

Go get yourself a couple of sheep. Fence them off in a small area. In no time, you will have lots of coyote and less sheep. You might get a mountain lion out of the deal too!

Deer carcasses work really good. I also have a seperate garbage can for food trash. Egg shells, stale bread, meat bones, leftover eggrolls. When it starts stinkin, I haul it to the dump pile.

I use beaver carcasses. They really draw them in.
Deer are fine if you can get them.
RTH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stake out the family cat......grin </div></div>

+1 Works for me!

I choose this! Many have great luck with Fox Pro as well.

CompIIIpromo400x300.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stake out the family cat......grin </div></div>

+1 Works for me!</div></div>

+1 here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Deer carcasses work really good. </div></div>

Depends on the time of year. If bears are out and about, then figure they out rank the woofers. Lot's of guys around here get bears and no yotes on cameras over their warm weather deer carcasses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GPKIII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">skunk </div></div>

All the yotes I've killed, and seen killed, have stunk like skunk........

Ive trapped/snared/shot coyotes in several states.

In this order:

Muskrat
Beaver
Horse
Deer

Put those four in a pasture along with a dead cow, and they'll have em slicked up in that order, and the cow will spoil.

The fresher, the better.

Tip.....chop up the meat (de-bone), put it in a five gallon bucket with water/blood and freeze it, dump out at your bait site and voila! Meat popsicle.

For trapping bait its pretty hard to beat bobcat meat. Ground up horse with a little glycerin added has put many a dog into the 3N Victor...

scan0025-3.jpg

Furs put up from back in the day. Before I went to work for the outfit...

scan0011-5.jpg

Mid 80's......coyotes were worth skinning back then.

The good old days when fox were worth $50 and up.

Oh come PGS, those extra heavy Canadian type selects you got up there are still worth skinning.
wink.gif

Mr. Peter Cottontail?

But seriously, they hunt rabbits out here so why not utilize them to bring in the yotes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scan0025-3.jpg

Furs put up from back in the day. Before I went to work for the outfit...

scan0011-5.jpg

PGS,
Looks like a bit of money hanging there. How long did it take you to get all them.

Mid 80's......coyotes were worth skinning back then.</div></div>

I have had great luck with apples in the fall.

I've got cattle, and when one dies, those yotes will hang around it for a week or so, so I'd say if you can get your hands on discarded beef parts that would be good bait.

I've shot some over a hog i shot....
I've also shot one that came to eat his friend I shot the night before..hehehehe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got cattle, and when one dies, those yotes will hang around it for a week or so, so I'd say if you can get your hands on discarded beef parts that would be good bait. </div></div>

I have a feedlot also. Dead cattle work great. It usually takes a week or so for them to finish it, but they hang around long after that.

I had a friend who staked a cat out once. He called in a coyote in and the buddy he was hunting with shot the cat.

I'll agree with PGS, Horse is probably the best carcass. but for those who can't get their hands on a dead horse, deer work well also. For trapping bait, bobcat is a very good base.

xdeano

+1 skunk. Yotes loose their train of thought when they smell skunk.

Not so sure on the part of Skunks being a good bait for Coyotes here . Being Live or just hanging or laying dead for bait .
But , around here in the N.W. one thing that is pretty solid info . If you bury a dead Skunk , Coyotes 'Will' dig them-up . They got the Sniffer & they are Dogs & they like to Dig .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got cattle, and when one dies, those yotes will hang around it for a week or so, so I'd say if you can get your hands on discarded beef parts that would be good bait. </div></div>

My grandparents owned a cattle ranch in eastern Washington. During one of my 2 week summer stays with them, and I found one of their cows dead. I dragged it with a truck to 500 yards from the ranchhouse and waited. It shot at coyotes everyday for the two weeks I stayed with them that summer.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but I've never even seen a coyote in person before - what do you guys do with coyotes? Sell the pelt? how much do they go for? What about the meat?

Dead cow to get the first one. Kill one, skin it, and use the carcass as bait about 300 yards from the dead cow. You will create a "killing field." Or, just plow snow in your motorpool, and one will watch you from 75 yards off. 6k forklifts are great bait I guess.

FWIW - an elderly gent at the range uses "Crown Prince" sardines. Says he barely opens the top and runs a "dribble line" of the stinky oil for a few hundred yards. Dumps the can at his target spot and by the time he's at his shooting position the yotes are tracking the oil line.

I never tried it, but in a quick fix a visit to the local Safeway might be all you need. If it works, great. If not, you're out a can of sardines. Might be worth a try if you have the time.

Cows parts. I live right next to a slaughter house and I know acouple guys over there, so I go over with old oil drum and fill it up with cow guts. Works perfect for the little shits.

Ground up kittens seem to work pretty good for me. Just throw em the blender and add a little water..... But in all seriousness, I use some leftovers from skinning deer, coon, rabbits, etc. I don't see why just using a call wouldn't work if u know how to use it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MANIMAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ground up kittens seem to work pretty good for me. Just throw em the blender and add a little water..... </div></div>
Use olive oil, not water. Helps disperse the smell better.

I've had great luck with Dead cow,dead horse and deer work well also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigMahi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if this sounds dumb but I've never even seen a coyote in person before - what do you guys do with coyotes? Sell the pelt? how much do they go for? What about the meat? </div></div>

We kill them and they are great targets... Many people hate them because of all the small animals / pets they eat.
Some places will pay you so much for killing coyotes. $25 per coyote on some farms. Expensive horse farms will pay you more to get rid of them... As far as meat goes.....I ain't eating it... You might want to ask a philipino, they eat dog and the coyote is a type of dog but I ain't eating one... many of them have mange on their fur and they stink like hell.
.....SmokeRolls

Chicken. Especially whole from a chicken farm. They'll have stepped in manure which contains ammonia. Smells for miles. Chicken farms have a natural mortality rate. The dead have usually been dead a day or so to begin in a warmed chicken house. They rotten! Nasty! When the leg comes off as you pick it up.....they're almost ready. I've killed a dooley load frikn kioats as a kid on our broiler farm.

go to animal shelter and find a female in heat. tie her up in said area and wait for the men to come running!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read an article on baiting coyotes with what's termed as a bait sickle...

Go down to the meat department at your local deli or supermarket and ask if you can have the scraps left over. Bring two 5 gallon buckets....an alternate them day to day or however long it takes for them to fill one 3/4 full. Fill the bucket to the brim with hot water so meat "bleeds out" and proceed it outside to freeze. Remove the new bait sickle and drop it off in a convenient spot (say 500-700yds) from your front step or place of significant cover to hide your approach.

The block of ice and meat is so heavy they can't haul off with it and they'll eat the bloody ice after the meat is gone. So they sit around their little prize till its gone....or till you shoot.</div></div>

I had very good results doing exactly this when I use to live up in Saskatchewan in the 70's and early 80's. Baiting them this way got great results for me. I also used beaver and cow carcasses. Cats are very effective also. I had bait spots scattered for endless miles throughout the winter.
I shot, trapped, and snared so many coyotes and trapped so many beaver that it was unbelievable. Those were some great years for fur prices. Damn PETA people!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Searcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go get yourself a couple of sheep. Fence them off in a small area. In no time, you will have lots of coyote and less sheep. You might get a mountain lion out of the deal too!</div></div>

haha! It worked for me!

We have chicken houses and have an ample supply of "bait."
Go ask a chicken farmer and he will probably give you some bait for free.

Cheap cat food in a deer feeder...gets 'em on welfare then you own 'em. Seriously, a free kitten from the walmart parking lot staked out works well.

So you place the bait, the dogs come to eat, you shoot one. Do the others return? How long can you shoot over the same bait before the dogs get wise?
A timber crew is raping about 80 acres adjoining my property, and from my deer stand that is built into my barn, I can see about 200 yds.
Maybe I bait a place in that cut over.

Coyotes and Crows both seem to get alot smarter if you shoot and miss. If they used to visit during the day, they will only come back at night. The moral of this story is dont miss.

I often see coyotes running in pairs. typically one is more cautious than the other so it hangs back from the bait. I shoot the further one first, then take the closer one he tries to make his escape. If you arent watching really closely, you may not notice the cautious one that waits in the tree line. Look for it, its usually there.