• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Crossover PRS/Hunting Scope?

C Cape

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2008
Valdosta, Ga
So I’m taking a step back from shooting centerfire matches but will be putting together a hunting rifle that I could shoot a one day match here and there with.

Would like to keep the scope under 2k so that cuts out Zco, TT, Khales, Etc.

Would like to be 35 Oz or less, FFP, MRAD, and Illuminated.

So far the only scopes I’ve found that I’m really intrigued by are the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 4.5-29 and the NF NX8 4-32. The NF is honestly what I want but I hear horror stories about the eye relief and parallax.

Any other ideas??

My vote would be a mk5, but their illum reticles are limited, so you’d sacrifice a bit for comp shooting. It’s also a touch above your budget.

For reference I have a mk5 5-25 w/ PR2 and an NX8 4-32 w/ illum MOAR. Much prefer the lewpy. In fact, I may sell the NX8 (only 11 rounds shot with it) and buy another mk5.

The MK5 is your answer except the PR2 doesn’t come illum. So you’d have to go a different reticle direction potentially. Under $2k could be a little difficult. The NX8 line of scopes isn’t very good, in the sports world it’s what you call a stat stuffer. Looks great on paper but I’m actual use it’s not as good as other options in the same price range. You can look for a used vortex AMG. It’ll meet all your criteria if you find a used one here.

I’ve been looking for the same thing and keep coming to the Eotech 5-25 Tremor 3. It can be had sub $1600 if you shop around. I had my hands on one once and only shot a few rounds but really like it.

I’ve got a Razor LHT 4.5-22 in route that I took in trade for a good deal that I’m going to try out that also gets some negative feedback like the NX8. If I don’t like it I’m ordering the Eotech or an NX8 and would probably go with the NX8 despite really disliking the 1-8 I had.

I will say this about the NX8 though… The AI shooting team captain who shoots for NF and could have whatever NF’s he wants runs a 2.5-20 on one of his rifles which is the one you hear the most complaints about and he said he likes it. He wouldn’t run it if it sucked, he’d just get another 4-16 ATACR or something. So that should say something.

Attachments

• DE58061F-47AB-42C8-890B-0778F3AD502E.jpeg
    DE58061F-47AB-42C8-890B-0778F3AD502E.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 195
The MK5 is your answer except the PR2 doesn’t come illum. So you’d have to go a different reticle direction potentially. Under $2k could be a little difficult. The NX8 line of scopes isn’t very good, in the sports world it’s what you call a stat stuffer. Looks great on paper but I’m actual use it’s not as good as other options in the same price range. You can look for a used vortex AMG. It’ll meet all your criteria if you find a used one here.
The AMG is 6x on the low end fine for matches but for hunting?

The AMG is 6x on the low end fine for matches but for hunting?
+1 I would think 3x or 4x on the low end is better than 5-6x

OP maybe needs to chime in on what he views as necessity vs nice to have in terms of FOV

FOV isn’t a make or break thing for me. I don’t plan on using it at 4-6x much anyways.

I was looking at the XT3’s with an IR and that would be perfect if they were available.

Reactions: beetroot
I’ve been looking for the same thing and keep coming to the Eotech 5-25 Tremor 3. It can be had sub $1600 if you shop around. I had my hands on one once and only shot a few rounds but really like it.

I’ve got a Razor LHT 4.5-22 in route that I took in trade for a good deal that I’m going to try out that also gets some negative feedback like the NX8. If I don’t like it I’m ordering the Eotech or an NX8 and would probably go with the NX8 despite really disliking the 1-8 I had.

I will say this about the NX8 though… The AI shooting team captain who shoots for NF and could have whatever NF’s he wants runs a 2.5-20 on one of his rifles which is the one you hear the most complaints about and he said he likes it. He wouldn’t run it if it sucked, he’d just get another 4-16 ATACR or something. So that should say something.

The Vudu is intriguing as well. Just wish it wasn’t quite so compact. Feel like it almost looks weird on a bolt gun.

So I’m taking a step back from shooting centerfire matches but will be putting together a hunting rifle that I could shoot a one day match here and there with.

So far the only scopes I’ve found that I’m really intrigued by are the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 4.5-29 and the NF NX8 4-32. The NF is honestly what I want but I hear horror stories about the eye relief and parallax.

Any other ideas??

For the price range the Leupold MK5HD is an excellent option if you did not need illumination :) We have some new and open box MK5HD's from $1,699 and up here: https://cstactical.com/leupold/

What magnification range you looking at? Specifically what's your minimum magnification requirements?

Typically a crossover scope is considered to be in the 3-20ish mag range.

I have a Delta Stryker that I wouldn't pick for my ideal crossover scope but it performs well optically and mechanically, and most importantly the reticle is pretty nicely visible at 4.5x.

Most of the FFP scopes on the market I feel have too thin of a reticle to be used on minimum magnification.
I feel like .05mil thick is about perfect for being visible but not too thick, yet most scopes are nearer .03mil.

I really like the look of the Athlon Ares ETR 3-18x50 with its thicker reticle, I would've bought one but I've committed to waiting on the XTR3i and I'm not too pigh-headed to give up on it.

The older model PST Gen2 3-15 with the EBR2c reticle is also very good, has thicker reticle than the 7c and illumination that is only the main cross.
If it had capped windage it too would be a worthy "perfect" crossover scope for the price.
In its current for it still performs admirably.

Personally I did not like the NX-8 2.5-20 much, at least the FFP one for hunting. It wasn't great for long range either. On 2.5 power the reticle is not useable as an aiming point, ESPECIALLY in low light. I had to turn on illumination and crank it to super bright to see anything during daylight on my elk hunt a few years back. The Vortex LHT is better to me if you need illumination, the NF 4-16 ATACR would be a good middle ground one with illumination if weight is not an issue (I love that scope actually).

For an NRL Hunter/Long range hunter the Leupold MK5HD with PR2 is pretty awesome. But no illumination which makes potential up close shots with a FFP reticle a possible l issue. Like the NX-8, turned up to 4-6 power the reticle is visible.

Reactions: rockdoc
I really like the Burris XTRIII but it isn't illuminated. I have an Ares 2.5-15 and I like a lot as well.

What magnification range you looking at? Specifically what's your minimum magnification requirements?

Typically a crossover scope is considered to be in the 3-20ish mag range.

I have a Delta Stryker that I wouldn't pick for my ideal crossover scope but it performs well optically and mechanically, and most importantly the reticle is pretty nicely visible at 4.5x.

Most of the FFP scopes on the market I feel have too thin of a reticle to be used on minimum magnification.
I feel like .05mil thick is about perfect for being visible but not too thick, yet most scopes are nearer .03mil.

I really like the look of the Athlon Ares ETR 3-18x50 with its thicker reticle, I would've bought one but I've committed to waiting on the XTR3i and I'm not too pigh-headed to give up on it.

The older model PST Gen2 3-15 with the EBR2c reticle is also very good, has thicker reticle than the 7c and illumination that is only the main cross.
If it had capped windage it too would be a worthy "perfect" crossover scope for the price.
In its current for it still performs admirably.
Preferably something 4-5x to 25x. I would rarely use the scope at its lowest mag and the only times at max magnification would be to ID an animal, check zero, and load decelopment. Most matches I shoot between 15-18x.

Preferably something 4-5x to 25x. I would rarely use the scope at its lowest mag and the only times at max magnification would be to ID an animal, check zero, and load decelopment. Most matches I shoot between 15-18x.
I think you’re going to have sacrifice somewhere: budget, illum, reticle…

I’d get a mk5 5-25 w/ PR2 off here used. In fact, that’s exactly what I did. That sacrifices illum but hits all other needs. If you go this route and don’t like it, you can sell here for little to no loss.

Other option would be mk5 5-25 w/ illum PR1. I’ve never seen one used, but it might happen. This would sacrifice budget and ideal reticle for comps, but would be a good hunting reticle and illuminated.

What spec is most important to you?

There’s a reason so many folks run the mk5 and why it was the optic chosen for the Army’s sniper system.

You can find used Kahles 5-25 or 3-18 in the PX for just barely over $2k. I've killed animals fairly close up with a 5-25 Kahles. I've also had most of the usual suspects (4-16 ATACR, 6-24 AMG, 3-15 Tangent, 4-20 ZCO, Leupy Mk5, Bushy Elite, SWFA, etc.). In your budget & with the info you've given, I'd save a couple hundred dollars and grab a used Kahles or maybe a used Minox ZP5.

I already made this exact thread, I recommend searching for it.

The solutions I settled on were:

Bushnell LRTSi/LRHSi
Trijicon Tenmile
Vortex LHT 4.5-22
Maybe the NF 4-16x42 or NX8’s

I think you’re going to have sacrifice somewhere: budget, illum, reticle…

I’d get a mk5 5-25 w/ PR2 off here used. In fact, that’s exactly what I did. That sacrifices illum but hits all other needs. If you go this route and don’t like it, you can sell here for little to no loss.

Other option would be mk5 5-25 w/ illum PR1. I’ve never seen one used, but it might happen. This would sacrifice budget and ideal reticle for comps, but would be a good hunting reticle and illuminated.

What spec is most important to you?

There’s a reason so many folks run the mk5 and why it was the optic chosen for the Army’s sniper system.
I literally just sold my Leupold with the PR2 reticle. Illumination is a non negotiable for me hunting wise. I’ve had it be make or break on a shot in dim conditions in the woods.

PR1 could be used in the mk5 will ilum. Guys have won matches with the TMR and the jtac (TT reticle) so you don’t absolutely need a tree. I just think personally I’d rather stretch the budget a smidge and go Kahles 525 used, minox zp5 used, or mk5 pr1/tmr illum, as opposed to going down a step like an nx8 or something.

Reactions: Secant
PR1 could be used in the mk5 will ilum. Guys have won matches with the TMR and the jtac (TT reticle) so you don’t absolutely need a tree. I just think personally I’d rather stretch the budget a smidge and go Kahles 525 used, minox zp5 used, or mk5 pr1/tmr illum, as opposed to going down a step like an nx8 or something.
A 5-25 kahles or zp5 definitely intrigues me.

Find a kahles K624i left side windage and skmr3 reticle. These are great scopes, can be found used for 1800-2k. Yes there is better glass in the price range (Mk5hd xtr3) but they do not come close in turrets, depth of field, illumination, and just general hands on quality feel that kahles has. If a guy could drop swaro z8 glass into a kahles K525i body and give it the eyebox, depth of field, & field of view of the k624i, they'd have a serious contender on the alpha optics stage. I don't see why swaro/kahles cant figure this out.

Reactions: Jrtex and C Cape
I literally just sold my Leupold with the PR2 reticle. Illumination is a non negotiable for me hunting wise. I’ve had it be make or break on a shot in dim conditions in the woods.
I'd say the classic options for true crossover scope have been covered...namely the 4-16x atacrs and the 3.x to 18 or 5-25 MkV leupy. However, since you don't really need a crossover scope specs (ie under 30 oz, and wide angle)
A 5-25 kahles or zp5 definitely intrigues me.
This seems worth exploring given youre overall requirements.

Reactions: C Cape

yeah...that is a tribute to the 2.5x20. I keep looking at that scope for a 22lr.....keeping things light and short.

Any other ideas??
Just did a review on the Tract Toric Hunter: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/tract-toric-uhd-hunting-rifle-scope-review.7129369/

Having had the previous generation LRHS and LRHSi, I‘d also have a look at the LRHS2: https://www.gaprecision.net/ga-store/optics/bushnell-lrhs-2-4-5-18-x-44-g2h-reticle.html

John

Don't be scared of the NX8 4-32. It's not bad at all, and the only parallax complaint I have is that it's not numbered like the ATACR. I never can remember which way to dial with the thing

I use a mk5. TMR.

Pr2 on the match rifle.

I'd have another on the 22 if the damn windage knob wasn't so good at tossing brass back into the action.

Oh, I have a Vortex PST Gen II and it is nice (On sale for $700), but I agree that the DMR II Pro and XRSII are better glass.Got my DMR II with a "free" Kestel Sportsman for $960 shipped from GA Precision.

Leupold mk5 or Razor AMG.

For reference, I and other less experienced shooters, have shot some game at 50 yards with the AMG on 6x.

Just shot a groundhog on Saturday at 65 yards in 7x with my 7-35x mk5, which is unilluminated pr2.

Reactions: K80/6.5