• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Best Custom Open and Limited guns

LR1845

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2021
Nevada
I am going to start shooting steel challenge and production class and am already looking ahead and think about shooting limited and posible open at some point...I think open may be a bit much for me right now but you never know. I would like to hear from guys that are or have shot in these divisions and advise on who are some of the best builders for open and limited.

And lets just pretend money is not an issue....I've been looking for a few months now and seems from about $3500 and up is the price point for a nice limited and or race gun.

Last edited:
Atleast give a look at MPA. I've been extremely happy with mine. Gun is far more capable than myself. I'm thinking of getting another just cause 2 are better than one....right? 🤣

Atleast give a look at MPA. I've been extremely happy with mine. Gun is far more capable than myself. I'm thinking of getting another just cause 2 are better than one....right? 🤣
definitely high on my list...no matter what I end up buying I'd like to handle it before buying(if possible)....this is the MPA I am leaning towards....

What model did you go with?

definitely high on my list...no matter what I end up buying I'd like to handle it before buying(if possible)....this is the MPA I am leaning towards....

There is a new category called Limited Optics or something, I'm not much for all the uspslgbtq rules. But I'm told my DS9 hybrid fits right in.
20230131_195707.jpg

I have zero interest in anything 40 cal.🤷‍♂️

• Love
Reactions: LR1845
There is a new category called Limited Optics or something, I'm not much for all the uspslgbtq rules. But I'm told my DS9 hybrid fits right in.

I have zero interest in anything 40 cal.🤷‍♂️
Sweet gun!!

I want the 40 to easily make major PF, I'm not quite ready for optics but I do want the slide cut so when I am ready it's there. There are so many nice guns now days it's hard to pick one.

Reactions: abn31c
USPSA is changing a lot. Suggest you do a lot of research on where the sported is headed before you invest in 40 S&W. "Carry Optics" and "Limited Optics" are the craze now and they are 9mm minor. I suspect that "Limited" participation will drop significantly just as "Production" has tanked.

Atlas or a gunsmith that specializes in 2011s is where I would spend my money.

SVI jumped the shark when they decided to turn on USPSA over having nationals in Colorado.

USPSA is changing a lot. Suggest you do a lot of research on where the sported is headed before you invest in 40 S&W. "Carry Optics" and "Limited Optics" are the craze now and they are 9mm minor. I suspect that "Limited" participation will drop significantly just as "Production" has tanked.
So you think sticking to 9mm is the way to go and where things are heading? I am shooting a shadow now and have an optics ready shadow on the way just in case I want to go optic again.

58 page thread on Brian Enos forum reference "USPSA Limited Optics". Cliff Notes: USPSA allowing "provisional" Limited Optics in 2022 and many comments that LO (9mm minor with slide mounted optics with 2011 legal) may become the dominant "division".

SH is more rifle oriented. BE forums has lots of USPSA shooters. I am a reformed USPSA shooter (PRS now) but I still watch BE.

I have a new MPA DS9 9mm. I do not have a modern 40 - my former USPSA Limited 40 is a ParaOrdnance P16 decades old.

58 page thread on Brian Enos forum reference "USPSA Limited Optics". Cliff Notes: USPSA allowing "provisional" Limited Optics in 2022 and many comments that LO (9mm minor with slide mounted optics with 2011 legal) may become the dominant "division".

SH is more rifle oriented. BE forums has lots of USPSA shooters. I am a reformed USPSA shooter (PRS now) but I still watch BE.

I have a new MPA DS9 9mm. I do not have a modern 40 - my former USPSA Limited 40 is a ParaOrdnance P16 decades old.
It makes sense right? Shit is getting expensive, I'm not a pistol guy, but do shoot the "outlaw" matches. These matches sell out the day they are posted. It's like "run what you brung" at the racetrack. Limited Optics has alot of appeal to alot of guys who don't shoot matches now.

Thanks for the info I look at BE fourm now and then I think I will go join...I've shot a few different rifle comps over the years but more tactical PRS type....I sold all my gear and stopped shooting for a couple of years and recently decided to get back into it but now that I have I don't really have that drive for it anymore, I am more driven towards pistol...steel challenge, production and limited.

It makes sense right? Shit is getting expensive, I'm not a pistol guy, but do shoot the "outlaw" matches. These matches sell out the day they are posted. It's like "run what you brung" at the racetrack. Limited Optics has alot of appeal to alot of guys who don't shoot matches now.

Expensive, shit is getting/been stupid...I have my limits but I am far from poor and like to buy nice things but $8+k for an Atlas? I'd like to stay in the $5k range if I buy something...my Shadows are still not holding me back at this point but I am looking forward and would like to buy before $5k turns into $10k...I mean everything else seems to have doubled lately LOL!

Slide mounted optics dominating right now because 1) lots of pistol competitors getting older and struggle to see traditional pistol sights, 2) optics are available, 3) factory optics ready pistols on the shelf, and 4) cool factor.

At same time most LEO moving to 9mm away from 40 S&W - that gives the sports top cover that 9mm is practical (the sports started with 45 and later moved to 40 to get capacity).

Reactions: abn31c and LR1845
Slide mounted optics dominating right now because 1) lots of pistol competitors getting older and struggle to see traditional pistol sights, 2) optics are available, 3) factory optics ready pistols on the shelf, and 4) cool factor.

At same time most LEO moving to 9mm away from 40 S&W - that gives the sports top cover that 9mm is practical (the sports started with 45 and later moved to 40 to get capacity).

I am getting close to the #1...I can still do well with the notch and blade but will soon need to move to optics which should be pretty smooth as I've shot optics in the past just not competitively...and everyone wants to be #4 right LOL.

Expensive, shit is getting/been stupid...I have my limits but I am far from poor and like to buy nice things but $8+k for an Atlas? I'd like to stay in the $5k range if I buy something...my Shadows are still not holding me back at this point but I am looking forward and would like to buy before $5k turns into $10k...I mean everything else seems to have doubled lately LOL!
My first "good" pistol was a S2 with some Cajun upgrades, it taught me alot, but it is not on par with my MPA.
20220928_182330.jpg

I have a pair of 'older' Atlas's... Given the new pricing of their guns, I wouldn't buy them again.

However, Atlas does make incredible firearms.

My next choice at their price point would be SVI.

Top gun was a high winner at a State Championship a few years ago. 😎😬

Venom Custom and Rafferty Custom maybe Carne Custom are the 3 guys on my short list for 2011 Limited or Open guns. I've used both Akai Limited 40SW and Phoenix Trinity Honcho 9major/minor/40.

My first "good" pistol was a S2 with some Cajun upgrades, it taught me alot, but it is not on par with my MPA.
I really want to order one but just need to make sure it's going to fit me...the price fits me perfectly LOL.

I have a pair of 'older' Atlas's... Given the new pricing of their guns, I wouldn't buy them again.

However, Atlas does make incredible firearms.

My next choice at their price point would be SVI.

Top gun was a high winner at a State Championship a few years ago. 😎😬

Thanks i will take a look at the SVI.

Venom Custom and Rafferty Custom maybe Carne Custom are the 3 guys on my short list for 2011 Limited or Open guns. I've used both Akai Limited 40SW and Phoenix Trinity Honcho 9major/minor/40.
I have seen all of these mentioned in my searches I will check them out thanks.

Just received a venom custom from Don.Couldn’t be happier with the pistol or dealing with him during the process.Give him a call and discuss your wants /needs.

Just received a venom custom from Don.Couldn’t be happier with the pistol or dealing with him during the process.Give him a call and discuss your wants /needs.
I will be making some calls tomorrow morning and venom will be one of them as well as Brazo and MPA but honestly I am still leaning towards the DS9...lot of good reviews and MPA has great CS.

I will be making some calls tomorrow morning and venom will be one of them as well as Brazo and MPA but honestly I am still leaning towards the DS9...lot of good reviews and MPA has great CS.
I had one of the early MPA DS9. No issues, ran great. MPA asked me to return it for upgrades as they learned a lot and added new features. A few weeks later I got my DS9 back with upgrades - free of charge.

I had one of the early MPA DS9. No issues, ran great. MPA asked me to return it for upgrades as they learned a lot and added new features. A few weeks later I got my DS9 back with upgrades - free of charge.
That's the CS I'm talking about right there!!

Venom Custom
Rafferty (My first choice)
Atlas
Akai
Infinity

MPA and Staccato are not even on my list. As a long time USPSA shooter, and having shot all the different 2011s, the fit and finish and CS of the top 2011 builders are why you spend the money their. MPA/Staccato are "factory/production line" built guns. If you are ok with that, then more power to it, but they are not in the same league as a custom builder.

Definitely go 9mm though for Limited Optics if thats the route you want to go. If you want to shoot limited, then 40 for Major PF is the way to go. Huge fan of 9 Major if you are going Open. All the better powders and bullet options, find it better to shoot 9 Major, then 38sc

Venom Custom
Rafferty (My first choice)
Atlas
Akai
Infinity

MPA and Staccato are not even on my list. As a long time USPSA shooter, and having shot all the different 2011s, the fit and finish and CS of the top 2011 builders are why you spend the money their. MPA/Staccato are "factory/production line" built guns. If you are ok with that, then more power to it, but they are not in the same league as a custom builder.

Definitely go 9mm though for Limited Optics if thats the route you want to go. If you want to shoot limited, then 40 for Major PF is the way to go. Huge fan of 9 Major if you are going Open. All the better powders and bullet options, find it better to shoot 9 Major, then 38sc
Thanks....after talking with @Pav67 and talking with Don at Venom yesterday morning I ordered from Don, I do not see myself going into open but definitely want to do steel challenge, Limited and Limited optics and will run the 9 for now and see how it goes.

I've owned 3 Staccato's and they are nice guns but I don't see anything over my CZ shadows that would make me want to buy another one....I'm ready for a nice custom so I think don was the way to go plus he's a supper nice guy and very easy to talk to.

I have been shooting USPSA stuff (with a pretty significant break at one time), longer than I care to admit. Brian was actually the best man at my wedding :)

Figure out what division you want to shoot then outfit yourself for that.

Learn to shoot well, reload, draw, move, freestyle platform, strong/weak hand, et., before jumping into something like the open division.

I would recommend CO if you would like to shoot a dot. It is the dominating division right now. Limited, Production, single stack, L10, revolver all have low(er) numbers at matches.

By the time you set up a good CO gun, mags, holster, belt, pouches, etc., you are still looking at north of 2K for most options.

If you have specific questions don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

I have been shooting USPSA stuff (with a pretty significant break at one time), longer than I care to admit. Brian was actually the best man at my wedding :)

Figure out what division you want to shoot then outfit yourself for that.

Learn to shoot well, reload, draw, move, freestyle platform, strong/weak hand, et., before jumping into something like the open division.

I would recommend CO if you would like to shoot a dot. It is the dominating division right now. Limited, Production, single stack, L10, revolver all have low(er) numbers at matches.

By the time you set up a good CO gun, mags, holster, belt, pouches, etc., you are still looking at north of 2K for most options.

If you have specific questions don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.
Thanks for the info and once I get going here I may have questions so I will keep that in mind...I do have Alpha belt, holster and 5 mag carriers so at this point I think I may just need a different holster for the 2011 mag carriers should work with the shadow and the 2011.

I have no plans on going into open and no plans on reloading, I reloaded for rifle for 18yrs and pistol about 5-6 of those...I've shot 2 cases of the blazer 124s, 2 cases of 147g and 1 case of 135g lax/freedom ammo recently with zero failures and with ammo being around 24c-30c a round I don't see the need to reinvest in all the equipment...if ammo starts to be a problem I will just start buying Delta, Atlanta, Everglades ECT...lotta good ammo makers out there right now.

Thanks for the info and once I get going here I may have questions so I will keep that in mind...I do have Alpha belt, holster and 5 mag carriers so at this point I think I may just need a different holster for the 2011 mag carriers should work with the shadow and the 2011.

I have no plans on going into open and no plans on reloading, I reloaded for rifle for 18yrs and pistol about 5-6 of those...I've shot 2 cases of the blazer 124s, 2 cases of 147g and 1 case of 135g lax/freedom ammo recently with zero failures and with ammo being around 24c-30c a round I don't see the need to reinvest in all the equipment...if ammo starts to be a problem I will just start buying Delta, Atlanta, Everglades ECT...lotta good ammo makers out there right now.

Stack ammo DEEP when the going is good, and leave it alone until the time is necessary or ammo is crazy expensive

I’m sitting on enough components for almost 100k rounds of 9mm

I love Bul Armory pistols, but I hate the wait. I waited 1.5 years for the Vipers, and 11 months for the UR. I still haven’t shot 2 of them, might sale them to fund optics.

Attachments

• IMG_4075.jpeg
    IMG_4075.jpeg
    913.3 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Balor