• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best dual-use scope: LR and deer hunting

reconstyle

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2017
I'm not new to shooting, but I'm fairly new to long range (200+yd) shooting and have never been deer hunting. I have a buddy who just got some property and offered to teach me some things about deer hunting and I want to take him up on the offer. I also want to do some long range shooting at my local gun range.

I think I have decided on the Tikka t3x in 6.5 creedmoor, but I'm not entirely sure what optic to use. Budget is ~$2k - any recommendations?

Most any tactical long range scope in that price range will be great for hunting. Illumination is a must for me so I can back down the power and still see the reticle in low light. You may also want to pay attention to the weight to keep the rife more maneuverable. Leupold Mark5 5-25 is on my short list at 30oz . Good luck in your search.

Reactions: reconstyle
Most any tactical long range scope in that price range will be great for hunting. Illumination is a must for me so I can back down the power and still see the reticle in low light. You may also want to pay attention to the weight to keep the rife more maneuverable. Leupold Mark5 5-25 is on my short list at 30oz . Good luck in your search.

Yea, I just read a couple threads about Vortex Razor vs Mark V, those 2 are on my short list for sure.

Right now, I'm testing a March 1.5-15X42. It's an SFP design thats 10 inches long and weighs 21 ounces in a 30mm tube. It's small, light ahd powerful. A great hunting and longish range combo. I have set up on an AR10 with which I shot a 600 yard match last weekend. I think that woukd do well for your needs.

There's also a March 2.5-25X42 or 52 SFP and a 3-24X42 or 52 FFP. Any of these would fit your needs very well. Low base magnification for hunting and clear crisp higher magnification for long range. All small, light and powerful.

Most long range scope are poor choices for deer hunting. FFP is generally not great for most deer hunting applications. There some that can do both pretty well (eg an illuminated 3-15). Personally, I'd rather have a SFP lower power hunting scope and a higher power FFP scope for long range.
Of course YMMV.

That really depends on the type of deer hunting. Openish country a FFP would be fine.

I'm looking for something as well, granted at a lower budget than you. I've narrowed it down to something in the 3-18 or 4-20ish ranges, ffp, mil/mil, with locking elevation and locking or covered windage. Pick your favorite reticle. For hunting I like a hashed crosshair. Your 2k budget opens up quite a few options I won't really consider. The mark 5 would probably be my choice if I was working with your budget.

Currently have an optika6 on the radar, as well as a couple others and maybe the new SIG tango6 when they come out as I've got everything to make the BDX work already.

600+ is long range.

For 2k. Sig Sauer Tango 6, Athlon Cronus, Burris XTR3, Leopold Mark 5, Vortex Razor or AMG, Bushnell XRSII, or DMRII pro, Steiner MX5.

The MK5 with the TMR, or the G3 in the bushnells are probably the thickest and easiest to see on low power. I have an LRHS with the G2H on one of my hunting rifles, and the the 2-10x36 Weaver Tactical on another.

Can you find a used March 3-24x52 for 2k?

The 5-30 Burris XTR3 has the FOV of a lot of scopes with 3x on the low end. The SCR should not be too hard to see at the lowest power on the scope. Mine will be here next week so I can't comment on it other than hypothetically.

I really like my 3.6-18 Mk5. It would be the lightest option probably. That is sometimes a consideration for a hunting scope. It gives up some FOV to the LRHS, and costs twice as much.

Last edited:
Another vote for a Bushnell 4.5-18 LRHSi. I've two, the last bought in the PX like new for 800$! Intentionally built as a long range hunting scope.

I have a bushnell LRHS with their G2H reticle on my .308 that is my main hunting rifle and backup match rifle. The reticle is FFP, and balances hunting and LR shooting requirements very well.

That is my favorite combo reticle, I need another one, they don't last long when they pop up in the PX

They really were an amazing value. There's a good reason they get snapped up so quickly. Remember that GAP deal with the Leatherman MUT? Wish I'd bought two.

The night force SHV is a very capable optic and not expensive either. Probably next season I’ll just pick up another Tikka in 6.5 with the SHV and it will be more than capable for anything in the lower 48.

vortex AMG would be my next option but really way more than I’d need actually hunting to 500 yards max

Steiner P4X 4-16
Leupold MK5 HD 3.6-18
Bushnell LRHS/LRTS 4.5-18 or 3-12
Sig Tango6 2nd Gen 3-18 or 4-24
NF ATACR 4-16x42 or 4-16x50

They really were an amazing value. There's a good reason they get snapped up so quickly. Remember that GAP deal with the Leatherman MUT? Wish I'd bought two.

That Leatherman MTU has been my EDC multi tool. Love the scope too. Was a hell of a deal at $800.