• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Factory 223 for a New Shooter

It's not that I'm dead set on that action. I just have a pretty limited budget of about $1100 for a rifle, bipod, scope and rings. Right now, I'm thinking I'll go with a Viper HST from AAOptics, Vortex Pro rings, and a Harris bipod. Those all add up to about $600, leaving little room for a rifle. I might end up getting something like a Savage 12 FV as well. I just would really prefer a Howa for their better initial quality.

I also like the 6.5G because I can use that cartridge in an AR if I want to build one down the road, it's low on recoil (I have a pretty light, skinny frame and don't have a partner to spot me at the moment), cheaper than other long centerfire cartridges (other than .223/5.56), and still viable out to 1000 yards.

What Howa do you own? I've been thinking about picking up a Mini Action in 6.5G or their Gameking in 6.5CM (because I can find them online for super cheap). I'll likely just be using it for target shooting. I have a range near me that does F-class and this will be my entry-level build for it.

I bought the 223 heavy varmint barreled action from Brownells. Stuck that in a Bell and Carlson stock. I'd go chassis if I did it again. Its a 223 so I didn't bother with bedding, but a harder recoiling caliber and I feel like it would probably be necessary.

I've been eyeing the grendel cartridges lately for some reason, They seem pretty cool. I'd make sure to do thorough research on what OAL people are loading to and verify that it fits in the mags that the mini action comes with. That would be a super annoying limitation to have to load short light bullets.

Attachments

• IMG_8144.JPG
    IMG_8144.JPG
    767.9 KB · Views: 40
Buy a new or used Tikka. I purchased an old Tikka Tactical (223) and it is the only rifle I left alone cuz it is stupid accurate. The 1/8 twist is an added bonus.

I also like the 6.5G because I can use that cartridge in an AR if I want to build one down the road, it's low on recoil (I have a pretty light, skinny frame and don't have a partner to spot me at the moment), cheaper than other long centerfire cartridges (other than .223/5.56), and still viable out to 1000 yards.

I'd take about 300yds off that statement. While the Grendel is a dandy little cartridge, and can hit targets out to 1000yds (I've done it), after around 700yds, if there is any significant wind, accuracy begins to fall off dramatically. Those 120'ish gr bullets act like ping pong balls in the wind (at farther ranges), as they just run out of speed and go trans-sonic...

I'd take about 300yds off that statement. While the Grendel is a dandy little cartridge, and can hit targets out to 1000yds (I've done it), after around 700yds, if there is any significant wind, accuracy begins to fall off dramatically. Those 120'ish gr bullets act like ping pong balls in the wind (at farther ranges), as they just run out of speed and go trans-sonic...
I would agree with that. 1000 is getting into the ELR for that cartridge. But hitting targets is still very doable. I certainly wouldn't hunt with it at that range. Though, I wouldn't hunt with anything at that range, myself.

I like this point.

My old .223 bolt gun pushed 80eldms at 2820. On paper I was supersonic well past 1200 yards. In reality at 1000 yards minute changes in wind had pretty significant impact to POI.

Also tagging because I’m looking for a cheap plinker.