• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bolt gun for wife.

FrozenMinnesotan

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2018
Ne MN
I took the wife out shooting yesterday at our local range. Started with my grandfather's old Belgium browning nomad then her g43x. Handguns arnt her strong suit so we moved to my new bergara b14 ridge sp in 223. After zeroing the optic I let her have a go on some steel at 100. Then 400 yards. Well, the bug bite her and now she wants her own gun. My question for you guys is This, she likes 223, so what would you recommend for a bolt gun that will shoot the heavier bullets that has some aftermarket stock and trigger support?
So far I see Ruger ranch or predator, rem 700 sps 16.5" and the bergara if theres any left when we decide on gun.
I think she's open to bigger calibers so those options are covered (hmr, ctr..etc)
Needs to be threaded or have enough meat to be threaded.

Budget? Including optic? What optic do you have on the rifle she shot?

I'd say about 1k for rifle. Optic was just a cheap scope I had as I wait for my new one to ship.

Some dedicated target rifles can be on the heavy side. Is she capable of handling, say, a 12 or 13lb gun?

Yes. It would be on a static range only or small walk out to coyote hunting area if she desires. Given prices for match 223 are close to 6, 6.5cm and 308 we might lean towards a bigger center-fire. She probably will only shoot under 500 rounds a year anyway

Yes. It would be on a static range only or small walk out to coyote hunting area if she desires. Given prices for match 223 are close to 6, 6.5cm and 308 we might lean towards a bigger center-fire. She probably will only shoot under 500 rounds a year anyway
My advice, is stick with a .223.... IMHO nothing beats .223 heavy bolt gun for a "fun-day-at the range". At least in nice weather... :LOL: For you midwestern guys (insanely windy all the time)...if your local weather is too much for the .223 ... 6mm... and If/when your wife shoots out the barrel...buy her another rifle... for a job well done (y)

She liked the challenge of the 223 with that crappy scope so I'm assuming with a proper setup for her she'll love it even more. Now she wants a matched pair lol. I'm not afraid to spend the money...just gotta find it. I like the seekens hit in 223wylde. Luckily for me I'm a FFL/sot. So stuff is on the cheaper side.

Maybe a "SAUER 100 CERATECH" or another of the 100 versions. Looks like they have options for threaded muzzle so they should have enough meat. I handled and shot a new Sauer in 308 a few years ago and really liked it.

She liked the challenge of the 223 with that crappy scope so I'm assuming with a proper setup for her she'll love it even more. Now she wants a matched pair lol. I'm not afraid to spend the money...just gotta find it. I like the seekens hit in 223wylde. Luckily for me I'm a FFL/sot. So stuff is on the cheaper side.
If you have an account with Zander's they have over 40 .223 Rem in stock right now . Some camo and youth sizes geared towards female shooters if your wife may be interested in going that route . .

I bought the wife a Rem700 5R in 223 and put it in a nice chassis, timney hit trigger, tac bolt knob etc, but it is kind of heavy for her. So now she has the little Ruger Ranch bolt in 5.56. Not as accurate but still fun on steel. Something like this would be over your budget with the chassis, but the 5R are great.

Attachments

• 20231027_203308.jpg
    20231027_203308.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20231027_203607.jpg
    20231027_203607.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 41
If you definitely want a complete rifle, Tikkas, and Aero's Solus are good values. If you're okay with having something to build, there are great deals running on Howa barreled actions, but Howa doesn't make Left handed.

Reactions: Modoc
@FrozenMinnesotan
Keep in mind that any attempts to sell/trade/buy outside of the official forum PX is strictly prohibited- because it's a very common way people get scammed. Unless a member shows "supporter" under his/her username- they're barred from selling on the website's PX.

Someone communicating with you about the above via PM/Email/Text is very often a scammer.

Why not a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor?

Like rifles and the HMR is user friendly. Handload 100-156 grain rounds.

SWFA super sniper 6 or 10x MQ to learn dialing.

Don’t over complicate it.

All good options, thanks everyone. So far it looks like going rem 700 sps tac and dropping it in a bravo. Or spending the money and going Mac bros evo 2 in a bravo in either 223 or 22arc. If we go anything bigger we'll probably go hmr or ctr.
I'm gonna have her shoot the bergara 223 more and see what she likes. Then go check out some other stores for her to handle them (.home based, no real inventory)

How do you like the bergara ridge sp 223? How does it shoot?

I‘ve wanted to find a Tikka ctr in 223 for a while but no luck, and recently noticed the Bergara SP as an alternative

I love it. Hard to get though. I'll be accuracy testing once I get my new scope on. So Jan some time.

@FrozenMinnesotan
Keep in mind that any attempts to sell/trade/buy outside of the official forum PX is strictly prohibited- because it's a very common way people get scammed. Unless a member shows "supporter" under his/her username- they're barred from selling on the website's PX.

Someone communicating with you about the above via PM/Email/Text is very often a scammer.
Barred from posting for sale adds, not barred from buying/selling.

I bought my wife a seekins ph2 years ago in 6.5cm. One day we were in Scheels and I was admiring the seekins element. She went and traded her ph2 in for the element in 6.5cm.
She asked me to top it with a light weight scope. I temporarily through on my Schmidt bender classic. Only to later upgrade to a tangent theta 315lrh. Wish I just left the less expensive sb classic on, as it was a lot less money,

The gun is super light weight, my wife shoots one hole groups, she loves this set up, and we have hunted all up n down mountains w it,

My 9 year old daughter shoots it also, as there’s no recoil, tho my daughter prefers shooting my rifle with larger magnification when she’s shooting the gong At 300 yards.

If I had to build a rifle to hunt, woods or mountains and also double as a range gun, I’d build it exactly how I did originally. Seekins element, with whatever caliber fills requirements, and the Schmidt bender classic, usually can be had for as little as 1200.00 on sale at euro optic.

Bolt gun for the wife? The bolt gun you always wanted but didn’t get the first time.

Whichever one you want to actually shoot

The cheapest you can find because she’s not gonna use it.

True :ROFLMAO:

My wife has a pretty awesome LP Fuzion 6BRA rifle that I built for her that she never shoots...

Reactions: diggler1833
I took the wife out shooting yesterday at our local range. Started with my grandfather's old Belgium browning nomad then her g43x. Handguns arnt her strong suit so we moved to my new bergara b14 ridge sp in 223. After zeroing the optic I let her have a go on some steel at 100. Then 400 yards. Well, the bug bite her and now she wants her own gun. My question for you guys is This, she likes 223, so what would you recommend for a bolt gun that will shoot the heavier bullets that has some aftermarket stock and trigger support?
So far I see Ruger ranch or predator, rem 700 sps 16.5" and the bergara if theres any left when we decide on gun.
I think she's open to bigger calibers so those options are covered (hmr, ctr..etc)
Needs to be threaded or have enough meat to be threaded.
I have a stock Remington 700 stainless %R I picked up form Gunbroker for abut $900. Shoots dime sized 5 round groups at 100 with factory Remington 77 grain match. I've gotten it on steel out to 700. With a brake the recoil is minimal.