• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best factory 308 win?

Mauser4me

Private
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2022
Left Coast USA
Will soon receive my first 'precision rifle' build, and am looking for ammunition for it to get things going. Looking to buy a few thousand rounds to start. It's an origin action, with a Bartlein 26" M24 barrel with 1:10 twist. I do not have a reloading setup and am in the process of preparing to move so won't be getting one anytime soon. So, I'm looking for the best factory ammo I can get in the meantime. Was wondering what you guys reccomend?

Thanks!

FGMM

If it doesn’t shoot this it won’t shoot anything else worth a shit either

Reactions: moosemeat
You plan on long range precision with it? Forget anything with a 168 SMK bullet. The 175 SMK isn't bad but much better bullets out now with higher BCs to help the .308 out. The Hornady 168 and 178 ELD-M and 169 TMK are a few to look at in loaded ammo.

Perfect thanks guys just ordered a few hundred rounds of FGMM 185gr Berger. Would've ordered more but limit of 240rds/order.
I was impressed with this ammo. Sure, it didn't have hand load SD/ES, but it was decent enough and it clocked 2595 fps out of my 20" barrel. Nothing else I've found can hang with that without being pushed a LOT harder than most factory loads will push it.

Lot of good recommendations...and maybe I'm off base...but I wouldn't buy too much of any particular single ammo until I tried it out in my gun and see what it liked.

@Rob01 makes a very good point....how far are you planning to shoot this gun on the regular?

FGMM 175gr SMK or Berger 185gr Jugg. Federal also does a FGMM load with the 185gr Jugg but it’s hit or miss on whether a rifle likes it so I’d buy a couple boxes to try first. 175gr SMK is 100% good to go, never seen a 308 that shot worth a shit that wouldn’t shoot great with it.