• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best factory rimfire action

Erik.300ultra

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2010
WI
Here is a topic that should invoke some discussion!

In your opinion, what is the best mass produced, factory built rimfire bolt action? I'm not looking for opinions on triggers, barrels or stocks, just the action, and its associated components (bolt, locking lugs, bolt release, magazines, bottom metal, saftey, method of barrel attachment, scope mounting)

Here is my list of pro's and con's;

Savage 93/MK II actions. I like the bolt and its throw, but some bolts fit a bit sloppy in the action. The bolt release using the trigger is a bit touchy, but it works. Ejection has always been good in my 93R17, as is the feeding. I like the magazines, although they are a bit spendy. The safety is in a poor spot.

Rem 504. The first time I picked up my 504, it just fit, perfectly. The 504 is very similar to a Rem 700, just scaled down. The safety is in a familiar location. The bolt release is on the side of the action, and is simple. That is where my positive comments end. The bolt is sloppy and tends to bind if not lubed regularly. The pot metal magazines work fine, but don't look very appealing. The clamp system for holding the barrel in is a let down. The c*cking indicator that protrudes from the back of the bolt is sharp as a tack, and looks out of place.

Rem 541. The 541 action is great. Three lug lockup on the bolt, and a TIGHT bolt to receiver fit. The safety is easy to reach with your thumb, and houses the bolt release. The bottom metal is so-so but seems solid. Plastic magazines (yuck!)

Alright, lets hear your views!

Erik

Re: Best factory rimfire action

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erik.300ultra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Savage 93/MK II actions. I like the bolt and its throw, but some bolts fit a bit sloppy in the action. The bolt release using the trigger is a bit touchy, but it works. Ejection has always been good in my 93R17, as is the feeding. I like the magazines, although they are a bit spendy. The safety is in a poor spot. </div></div>

The magazines aren't that bad if you get them from Savage there like $13 shipped

Factory gun, 40X all the way. Center lockup is better than rear for various reasons. Only drawback is lug rail needs filled in port area and larger outer diameter required. Lots of 40X actions are still used in Rimfire Benchrest. Very few other factory actions ever show up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Winchester 52's are still used in comps today...as well as Remingtopn 37's.</div></div>

X2 for the Remington 37. Smooth action, good trigger, milled steel magazines, great factory sights and still used by many smallbore shooters today. Not bad for a gun introduced 70 years ago.

Rem 40X then Win 52 then Anschutz 54 than Anschutz 64.

For no work, my money would be on the Annie's. The 40X after a bit of smithing is every bit as good as any custom action.

I bought my 40X because I got it cheap. If I were going from the ground up, I would probably start with a Turbo... maybe a Stiller 25X.

I would put the Annie's up there, but something about the lack of threading... maybe it is from my centerfire roots. I just prefer a threaded action.

Now, if I had a CMP 40X on hand, that is a good starting point.

IMHO Savage isn't even in the same class as Anschutz, Cooper, Ruger 77/22, Remington 40X or 541. They may work fine but they are still just a cheapy economy gun.

agree on the savage being the cheapie, along with marlin, they are basically pipes with grooves cut in them.

depends on what you want to use the action for i guess, i'd have to say as far as looks, durability, functionality, it would be a toss up of 40x, the other rem. 500 series, ruger 77/22 as they are basically a shrunken version of the centerfire brothers. i may have to throw in sako and CZ.

also the quality of the metal used in the action should be looked at.

I agree, the Savage is about as cheap as you can get. But it does work, actually quite well for the price. Carter hit the nail on the head about threaded actions and barrels, there is simply less to go wrong. Changes in heat, humidity and even physical impact shouldn't bother a screwed together unit.

I only listed the actions that I own. That is where you guys come in at. I didn't list the 40X simply because I was thinking repeater actions (but it doesn't matter), and I have 0 hands on experience with one. I hope to change that in the near future.

Erik

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">agree on the savage being the cheapie, along with marlin, they are basically pipes with grooves cut in them.</div></div>

You're kidding right? Have you seen some of the groups people shoot with them?

I've seen great groups from savage on here but have seen trouble with one, love my cz and anschutz is the only better I have read about, plan on one in .17hmr if I don't find a deal on a cz.

for an overall package im going to have to go with an Anschutz 54 action specifically the 1712. overall feel, presentation, trigger and out of the box accuracy.
cons.
-doesnt come tapped for a frontsight (though I dont need it)
- factory Mags are $50+
(Brownells sells savage mags for $15 that can be modified to fit)
2nd pick would be the Sako P94s

just my .02
smile.gif

American,
40X Rem, 37 Rem, 52 Win.
Other,
Anschultz

All are well made and can shoot great.

Savage action would be my choice out of the 3 you listed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">agree on the savage being the cheapie, along with marlin, they are basically pipes with grooves cut in them.</div></div>

You're kidding right? Have you seen some of the groups people shoot with them?</div></div>

TP has a Marlin, so he is not bagging on them without experience. I have one as well. Very accurate for the money, but I would never build a custom rifle on a Marlin action. For one, the accessories aren't out there to build on. Want a custom trigger? There is Rifle Basix, Rifle Basix, or Rifle Basix. Want a pic rail? I had to search my a$$ off to find one. I would venture a guess that there aren't a lot of smiths with experience putting a custom barrel on a Marlin action, not that it is difficult. It just isn't done.

I have a Marlin 17HMR and an Annie 17HMR. For the money, the Marlin was half the price and almost immeasurably less accurate than the Annie. As a stock rifle, the Marlin is an incredible deal. If I were to start customizing, I would build off of the Annie, no question. The best rimfire smiths know how to work with them and the best rimfire shooters compete with them. You can just look at the action and see that the machining is much mroe precise on the Annie.

Given the description of the above actions, I would go with the Rem 541 given the tight bolt to receiver fit... but then, my 40X has no safety and is a single shot, so I place a very low premium on magazines and safety location in a 22LR.

As a matter of a fact, to release the bolt, I have to jam an allen wrench between the bolt and receiver. But I love the gun 'cause it shoots, which, at the end of the day, is all that matters. Just give me a shooter and everything else is icing on the cake... for that reason, I would pick the action most likely to shoot well. I would pick the smith first, then ask them which action they would prefer to build off of... then go from there.

That is my approach. I know some people like to put together a list of components and then hand them to the smith and say, "build it!." That is certainly fun to do, but in my opinion, the earlier you get a smith involved in the discussion, the better.

When I was responding, I was specifically thinking about the Savage rimfires, I forgot that he had even mentioned Marlin. Don't know if you've seen it, but SmallBoreSniper has gotten a .2" group at 50 yards with his Savage, and it only has an aftermarket trigger. Semour Gunz got a .5" group at 100 yards on his first time shooting his rifle. I'm sure there are others that put up similar groups, so no, I don't consider Savage rimfires as pipes with grooves cut in them.

Finest factory rimfire action? Hands down, bottom line, Anschutz. Built out of a brick of steel, super fast lock time, super stiff, and repeatable. CZ, 40X, Kimber SVT, Sako, Cooper, lots of other very fine rimfire actions out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was responding, I was specifically thinking about the Savage rimfires, I forgot that he had even mentioned Marlin. Don't know if you've seen it, but SmallBoreSniper has gotten a .2" group at 50 yards with his Savage, and it only has an aftermarket trigger. Semour Gunz got a .5" group at 100 yards on his first time shooting his rifle. I'm sure there are others that put up similar groups, so no, I don't consider Savage rimfires as pipes with grooves cut in them. </div></div>

I think we are talking about just actions here, and after shooting my Sako, I don't want anything to do with the savage actions. Played with a few and they remind me of an AK with how crude the machining and smoothness(or lack thereof) was of the action. Yes they are shooters, but just not my thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">agree on the savage being the cheapie, along with marlin, they are basically pipes with grooves cut in them.</div></div>

You're kidding right? Have you seen some of the groups people shoot with them?</div></div>

seen them groups? hell i've shot some of them groups. i have 2 mkii's and love them to death, but certainly not in the same bracket as the others mentioned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
TP has a Marlin, so he is not bagging on them without experience. .</div></div>

i also have a marlin (.22 mag) and shoots very well too. BUT take off out the bolt and trigger, magwell and bases. you'ld swear you were holding a "pipe with grooves cut in it".

case in point, mkii:
MKIIF006-Copy2.jpg

in the context of the topic proposed, i certainly wouldn't consider a savage or marlin action as an answer, unless simplicity was the goal.

just like whiskey, there is rot gut and top shelf. both will get you drunk, but one will also taste smoother.

groups? just bipod, no rear support, 1" black center dot.

MKIINOV09100YADTARGET.jpg

I think it's a question of what demands the cartridge puts on the action. IMHO, for the .22LR, not very mach.

Then there's the other question.

Since the bullet always goes where the barrel points, how does the action perform at the task of making that barrel point the same way every shot.

If the scope's on the action and the barrel's not deliberately mated to the action, we have some divergence between POA and POB (Point of Barrel, I think I just invented that...).

Well, I think that moving the scope mount to the barrel solves that divergence in a New York minute.

Other approaches might involve allowing barrel divergence, but anchoring both barrel and action separately to the stock, turning the stock into a crutch to stabilize their relationship. Might work, dunno.

If we were talking about a C/F, I think the barrel would be too tough to tame this way, but for a rimfire, might be worth a try.

I may, it could be applied to my MKII.

Greg

Topshelf and Rotgut, good analogy. I think, however, that many a simple, basic outfit can benefit from some 'massaging', and as such, may provide the raw materials for something more sublime, allowing a modest outlay to be graduated to a higher performance plateau. At this point the issue becomes one of divining the manner of said massage.

I have both the Ruger M77/22HMR and the 77/17 and both are super little guns. I remember when I was a kid having a stevens single shot bolt action 22 that was a tack driver.

Agreed the Savage is a cheapy gun but only in the sense I didn't pay a lot for it. My TR groups just as well as both of my KIDDs at about a third of the price. My Quad will be complete when my A5 gets here next month. Can only hope that shoots as well as my TR.

to me the cooper is the finest production rimfire action made . the overall fit/ finish / feel to me is peerless. it is well made right here in the usa. they are also being used for some very high end custom rimfire rifles .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finest factory rimfire action? Hands down, bottom line, Anschutz. Built out of a brick of steel, super fast lock time, super stiff, and repeatable. CZ, 40X, Kimber SVT, Sako, Cooper, lots of other very fine rimfire actions out there. </div></div>

There you go. I sold my Kimber SVT and my Remington 40x because the Anschutz is just that good. Savage requires alot of work to clean up imo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anschutz.

</div></div>

+1

It would be silly of me to impose my own simplistic, minimalist view on others, but....

Yeah, there <span style="font-style: italic">had</span> to be that 'but'...

I have to ask myself just what it is we're trying to accomplish here.

To my way of thinking, the economy and simplicity implicit in the .22LR's capacities tend to get overshadowed and maybe wasted when we get carried away with extremes of precision and workmanship.

It's just a 22, folks, not the grail.

I appreciate fine workmanship and exquisite accuracy, but for me, the 22 is the flyswatter, and the C/F is the Abrams Tank in this discussion. For swatting flies, I'm not calling up the armored brigade.

Greg

40X for me! Although I'm waiting for Stiller to come out with their repeater.

The Ruger 77/22 is a true work of art. Take one out of the stock and examine it and you will be stunned. It is really just a mini Mauser. It has a sloppy ass bolt but it locks up real tight. The action will last forever. About a year ago, they started threading the barrels so we should be getting new reports on accuracy. Curious as to weather it will be an improvement or not.

anchutz 54 Remington model 37 never seen anything shoot like that.
Weatherby has a new one out, guess what it has a anchutz 54 action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For swatting flies, I'm not calling up the armored brigade. </div></div>

Sounds like a sig line to me! Ha ha!

What about left handed mag fed actions ?

Anschuetz has their 64 series, CZ has the 452 in LH configuration ands Browning has their T-Bolt in LH configuration. Any others having true LH bolt and being magazine fed AND being accurate ?

I have to agree that the Anni 54 is a great action. I however think the Rem 40xb based on the Rem 700 Action is pretty good to. I just picked up a 40x so we will see how it shoots compared to the Annie