• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best/Favorite Breathable steel toed low cut Boots

svxwilson

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 23, 2013
    Montana
    Howdy Gentlemen,

Shouting out from Montana, got me a new essential job! Starts next week. Need to get some steel toed boots. The new Job requires them. I will be on my feet all day wiring MAC trucks to become paint stripping trucks and support trucks inside a warehouse/assembly line.

I run hot, especially when I'm working. So I need some suggestions on some breathable steel toed boots, preferably ankle hight or low cut. Being that I am mostly going to be on concrete floors and indoors waterproof is not necessary, and needs to be comfortable as my days will be 10-12 hrs long.

I just tried on some keen's with steel toes. I am curious if you can bend the steel toe some, like you can mold ski boots some? Part of my big toe where the steel toe ends rubs on that edge, could be comfortable if you can manipulate it some.....

Let me know what your favourite Brands/Models are that fit my description.

Thanks for your time amd input!

My problem with any boots is that I have a high instep and in order to get into a pair, I have to get a size that is longer or have zippers on the sides, but they still fit too tight. I guess that is why my nickname is Sasquatch. :(

Howdy Gentlemen,

Shouting out from Montana, got me a new essential job! Starts next week. Need to get some steel toed boots. The new Job requires them. I will be on my feet all day wiring MAC trucks to become paint stripping trucks and support trucks inside a warehouse/assembly line.

I run hot, especially when I'm working. So I need some suggestions on some breathable steel toed boots, preferably ankle hight or low cut. Being that I am mostly going to be on concrete floors and indoors waterproof is not necessary, and needs to be comfortable as my days will be 10-12 hrs long.

I just tried on some keen's with steel toes. I am curious if you can bend the steel toe some, like you can mold ski boots some? Part of my big toe where the steel toe ends rubs on that edge, could be comfortable if you can manipulate it some.....

Let me know what your favourite Brands/Models are that fit my description.

Thanks for your time amd input!
    The keen will have the broadest toe box NO steel does not move ! Sorry I have sold work boots for years and men are worse than women buying boots too small. With the shoes on in the store tap the toe you should not feel any pressure from the toe box. Good luck. Hint buy a 1/2 size bigger and wear 2pair socks you will appreciate the comfort Yes you will get hotter quicker better than pain from the toe box that Does Not move !

Timberland . They have a low cut with a very spongy sole . I gotta check out the name but they are the most comfortable I've found to date . They are made of a breathable material not leather . Just checked they are the Timb Powertrain .

Reactions: Ravenworks
    Irish Setter made by RedWing are nice.
    Leather upper and welt,if taken care of they will last 10 years or more with a resoling.

Something else that helps with longevity is rotating your boots.
    I had at one time up to 6 pairs that I rotated.
    However two pairs will work well for rotation

Get some Danners with the wedge sole. The wedge is great if you're on concrete all day.

Georgia's are also pretty good.

I am just wearing out a pair of Keens. The rubber piece that covers the steel toe is separating from the boot. I've only had them about eight months. Wasn't really impressed.

I just bought a pair of Ariat. Only my first week wearing them so I can't really comment but so far so good.

Reactions: THO
    I wear Red Wing loggers, tall and all leather, so can’t help you there. I’m also never on level ground, have to have electrical protection, and in the muck often so my needs are far different than yours. I do still have a couple tips.

If you’re permitted a composite toe, go that way, the weight savings is worth it. Try to find a good dealer to try on the boots before buying, never trust safety boots fit online, always try them on. Boot Barn isn’t bad for selection if you have one, although pricy, and I’m sure you have a good worker supply up there, ask if they give discounts for your employer as well.

Red wing. Their 6" boots are pretty low cut as far as boots go. If you're just on concrete you shouldn't have to buy new ones for a long time.

Reactions: Maggot
    I like Red Wing. Some days I'm on concrete, but mostly I'm in the truck. I like 6" with a cut out on the back for the tendon.

Once I bought Georgia Boot. The heel had a square hole for the insole to fit in. It was fine till I stood in front of a piece of equipment for several hours. The edges of that hole made a stress riser that was a pain.

Good socks really help too.

1590011309878.png

I hear they're all the rage in Florida...

Sirhr

Now that we are reviving this thread, I’ve got a pair of Thorogoods.

The Ariats sucked and were foreign made.

The Thorogoods are taking a pounding and are very comfy on the concrete all day. And made in the good ol’ US of A.

I’ll be buying another pair.

Reactions: Maverick3009
    Steel toe only, or safety toe?

Composite toe will be lighter. Reebok and Danner both make side zip composite toe boots that are very comfortable.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    Hello. When I first got into the EUC hobby, the very first thing I did is gather a bunch of safety gear before I even purchased the KS16s. Yea, I got the knee pads, elbow pads etc. But I also bought some steel toed shoes. Riding for 8 months or so, I always wore my steel toed shoes and never worried about getting my toes smashed. The other day, I left the house with a pair of Vans on my feet as I lugged the KingSong down the stairs. When I jump on the wheel whooshed away, noticed that the ride was a little different. It seemed like I had "more spring in my step" if you will. I kinda liked the ride with the Vans over the steel toed shoes. So the question is, do shoes really matter,? Or, am I thinking crazy thoughts? What kind of shoes do you think is good for the ride? What kind of shoes look good on the ride?

Put a shoe in your ass.

Hello. When I first got into the EUC hobby, the very first thing I did is gather a bunch of safety gear before I even purchased the KS16s. Yea, I got the knee pads, elbow pads etc. But I also bought some steel toed shoes. Riding for 8 months or so, I always wore my steel toed shoes and never worried about getting my toes smashed. The other day, I left the house with a pair of Vans on my feet as I lugged the KingSong down the stairs. When I jump on the wheel whooshed away, noticed that the ride was a little different. It seemed like I had "more spring in my step" if you will. I kinda liked the ride with the Vans over the steel toed shoes. So the question is, do shoes really matter,? Or, am I thinking crazy thoughts? What kind of shoes do you think is good for the ride? What kind of shoes look good on the ride?
    I had to look up what EUC was. Do electric unicycles make you gay, or does being gay make you ride electric unicycles?

God damn spammers…

Reactions: oneshot86
    The keen will have the broadest toe box NO steel does not move ! Sorry I have sold work boots for years and men are worse than women buying boots too small. With the shoes on in the store tap the toe you should not feel any pressure from the toe box. Good luck. Hint buy a 1/2 size bigger and wear 2pair socks you will appreciate the comfort Yes you will get hotter quicker better than pain from the toe box that Does Not move !
    Good advice.

I'd advise Redwing. They have a little machine that you stand on which measures your foot very accurately. They are comfortable the first time you put them on, little to no break in. Their customer service is excellent. I bought a pair of high dollar shoes. The sales girl was brand new and didnt use the machine so I ended up, as Frank mentioned, getting a pair too small. Wore them for a couple months but couldnt get comfortable so I went back and talked to the manager. Since I have that high instep, they didnt have mine in stock so she special ordered a pair and swapped me out no charge. Thats on a $150 pair of shoes. The high dollar ones are made in America, the lower prices ones made in Viet Nam or Thailand, NO FUCKING CHINESE GARBAGE. Finally, they will oil them for you at no charge.

1. www.redwingshoes.com › work › mensShoes | Men's | Red Wing

Men's Safety Toe Chukka. In-Store Only. Work - Style 3557. Cross Lite. Men's CSA Safety Toe Chukka. In-Store Only. Experience Superior Comfort and Safety with Red Wing Men's Work Shoes. At Red Wing Shoes, we understand that your job demands the perfect blend of comfort, safety, and style. Our collection of Men's Work Shoes is meticulously ...

Good advice.

I'd advise Redwing. They have a little machine that you stand on which measures your foot very accurately. They are comfortable the first time you put them on, little to no break in. Their customer service is excellent. I bought a pair of high dollar shoes. The sales girl was brand new and didnt use the machine so I ended up, as Frank mentioned, getting a pair too small. Wore them for a couple months but couldnt get comfortable so I went back and talked to the manager. Since I have that high instep, they didnt have mine in stock so she special ordered a pair and swapped me out no charge. Thats on a $150 pair of shoes. The high dollar ones are made in America, the lower prices ones made in Viet Nam or Thailand, NO FUCKING CHINESE GARBAGE. Finally, they will oil them for you at no charge.

1. www.redwingshoes.com › work › mensShoes | Men's | Red Wing

Men's Safety Toe Chukka. In-Store Only. Work - Style 3557. Cross Lite. Men's CSA Safety Toe Chukka. In-Store Only. Experience Superior Comfort and Safety with Red Wing Men's Work Shoes. At Red Wing Shoes, we understand that your job demands the perfect blend of comfort, safety, and style. Our collection of Men's Work Shoes is meticulously ...
    I blow out the leather on the toes on the Vietnam ones within a year, the US made ones last until the heels are drag slicks. You can pick up the two and immediately tell the US made are a better boot just by the increased heft, the leather is far better quality and the soles are much more durable and protective. They’re heavy and will give you a workout if you do a lot of walking on the job, but worth the price in protection and quality if you actually need a solid as fuck boot. For me on the railroad, I need it.

For someone in the office or warehouse floor, working on turf or elsewhere your boots just don’t take much abuse or prefer something lighter the foreign made ones are sufficient.

Reactions: Maggot
    I blow out the leather on the toes on the Vietnam ones within a year, the US made ones last until the heels are drag slicks. You can pick up the two and immediately tell the US made are a better boot just by the increased heft, the leather is far better quality and the soles are much more durable and protective. They’re heavy and will give you a workout if you do a lot of walking on the job, but worth the price in protection and quality if you actually need a solid as fuck boot. For me on the railroad, I need it.

For someone in the office or warehouse floor, working on turf or elsewhere your boots just don’t take much abuse or prefer something lighter the foreign made ones are sufficient.
    Same here as a timber cutter and or stone mason (retired)