• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best FFP scope with up to a 42mm objective.

SLG

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2009
Looking for a scope to semi-dedicate for Simrad use. I want to be able to fit it in the stray light shield, and I would prefer if it had a reasonably large mag range, but almost anything that goes to 8X will be fine. 16X or higher would be nice, and 2-4 on the lower end is acceptable. Really good glass is important as well.

ATACR 4-16 seems like a likely candidate, though I'm not sure it will fit in the shield. Have to measure.
ATACR 1-8 would also be acceptable, though on the lower end of what I want.

What else do you guys like for these parameters?

Last edited:
Reactions: CSTactical
That March is a compelling scope, but they list the outside objective diameter at 51mm, which is 1mm larger then the ATACR 4-16. Not sure if either will fit.

I have also considered the SWFA 3-9 HD, but would prefer greater mag range and parallax adjustment. On the plus side, I know it fits the shield well.

Finally, a good holdover reticle is desirable, and the ATACR does have the T3 option.

Lots to ask for, I know, but thanks for the ideas. Please keep them coming.

Looking for a scope to semi-dedicate for Simrad use. I want to be able to fit it in the stray light shield, and I would prefer if it had a reasonably large mag range, but almost anything that goes to 8X will be fine. 16X or higher would be nice, and 2-4 on the lower end is acceptable. Really good glass is important as well.

ATACR 4-16 seems like a likely candidate, though I'm not sure it will fit in the shield. Have to measure.
ATACR 1-8 would also be acceptable, though on the lower end of what I want.

What else do you guys like for these parameters?

Is this the same SLG over on P-F as well? It looks like the ATACR 4-16x42 is right up your alley, especially since you like the T3. I have one in stock that I can do for you if you want it. We also provide .gov pricing. :cool:

Is this the same SLG over on P-F as well? It looks like the ATACR 4-16x42 is right up your alley, especially since you like the T3. I have one in stock that I can do for you if you want it. We also provide .gov pricing. :cool:

I did used to be on PF, but left a few years ago after Todd died. I appreciate the offer, but I'm just in my research phase right now.

That March is a compelling scope, but they list the outside objective diameter at 51mm, which is 1mm larger then the ATACR 4-16. Not sure if either will fit.

I have also considered the SWFA 3-9 HD, but would prefer greater mag range and parallax adjustment. On the plus side, I know it fits the shield well.

Finally, a good holdover reticle is desirable, and the ATACR does have the T3 option.

Lots to ask for, I know, but thanks for the ideas. Please keep them coming.

If you looked at SWFA 3-9x42, you should also consider their 3-15x42. That gives you a bit more magnification and side focus.

If you want high magnification, I think IOR makes a 9-36x44 model :)

The only other high mag model with 42mm objective that comes to mind is Hawke 8.5-25x42 from their Sidewinder line.

ILya

I forgot about the 3-15 SWFA, thanks! I think the objective is slightly bigger on the 3-15 then on the 3-9, but I'm not sure. May still work anyway. The inside of the shield mikes at 49.5mm or so. The NF lists at 51mm. The SWFA 3-9 is around 49.5 as well, and I think the 3-15 is more like 50mm. These differences may just be my Hornady digital calipers acting up, idk.

High, high end mag is just fine, but high, low end mag is too much. Needs to be 1,2,3 or 4 at the bottom.

The 3-20 is a 50mm objective, but thanks for mentioning it! It made me look at the S&B stuff, and I may have just scored an older 4-16X42 that I can use. Will be a little bit before I can verify that though.

The 3-20 is a 50mm objective, but thanks for mentioning it! It made me look at the S&B stuff, and I may have just scored an older 4-16X42 that I can use. Will be a little bit before I can verify that though.

Those 4-16 Schmidt’s are very nice.