• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Friend Just Tried To Off himself

Good luck, at least you and he had a few conversations about it , sounds like the trip will be beneficial. I just got blind sided by a suicide. A friend, former Marine and gunsmith ate a .45, no clue, no warning , his twin brother is devastated. Both served in the crotch, in Afghanistan. Hell the dude just bought a new Harley, hard to figure why he did, there were plenty of people around if he just said something. Prayers sent
My buddy retired out of the suck and was getting ready to retire out of the post office, shot himself. Nobody seen it coming

I agree with the people here...
Do whatever it takes to prevent his taking further action on this. The Army taught us to accomplish the mission, and take care of your troops. I see your mission here as preventing him from killing himself, but that's just my opinion. I dont know how I would live with myself if someone I knew & cared about was in this situation, and I didnt do all that I could to prevent him killing himself. Its a hard place to be.

Just another thought, but the Lord Jesus Christ has the ability to change people. Prayer really DOES work.

If your friend is in a place mentally/spiritually where he WANTS to inflict pain on others, that's really an indicator of the pain he is feeling. Hurting people often want to lash out & make others feel what they are feeling.

But now, please allow me to offer another perspective:?
As a Christian believer/preacher.

Enemy activity 101:
Human beings are a spirit, with a mind/soul/personality, that live in a physical body. Humans have the ability to hear/see/perceive/feel spiritual influences. The enemy(Satan/the devil/demons) have the ability to speak to people. God/Jesus/the Holy Spirit/angels also speak to people, and we have the ability to hear/feel/perceive this.

The enemy seeks to steal, kill, & destroy human life. He steals what God wants to do in peoples' lives, kills them physically, and then they are destroyed spiritually in hell.

People report that "the devil made me..." do this or that. One very basic maneuver the enemy tries, is to influence a person mentally. He will sometimes tell a person, "you're depressed" or "you need to kill yourself" and the person is shocked! because nobody WANTS to be depressed or suicidal. Often, that person then starts "owning" these negative thoughts, and the process of growth begins. The thought becomes an idea, they dwell on it, and it becomes a plan. Then they take action & it becomes a reality, and bears fruit in the end: they become depressed, or attempt suicide.

Now IF, on the other hand, when those kind of thoughts come into their mind (some people report actually HEARING voices) the targeted person says, "Fuck you, that's crazy. I'm not having it!" it can nip those VERY REAL thoughts in the bud.

I'll give you an example. In fall 2016 I was doing something outside & I was MAD at everybody. Mad at my ex-wife, my kids, my friends, the people at church. And I didn't WANT to be mad. I asked myself where were these thoughts COMING from? And it was like the lightbulb went on & I realized that these thoughts of anger were being imposed upon me from a source OUTSIDE MYSELF. A real AHA! moment for me. I was being influenced to anger against my will! Nobody WANTS to be depressed or to kill themselves. In my opinion, as a preacher, people are being played by demonic forces, against their will, and often without recognising it, nor recognising the true source of these very real, very negative thoughts.

Lots of people believe in the existance of the spirit world, because they have had personal experience/evidence of it. If a person is a fighter, when you present a target to shoot at, they can then rise to the occasion and begin actively resisting it. Evil/dark spirits can be identified by what effect they have on a person. And they OFTEN, ALMOST ALWAYS operate in packs or gangs.

I cant prove the spirit world exists (God, Jesus, angels vs Satan, demons, etc) and you cant prove they dont. This is just my world view. Just one guy's opinion.
It exists. I have extensive experience. I got a tour of Hell one night. Scary shit, but then there's the other side.

Reactions: Mudburner
Good luck, at least you and he had a few conversations about it , sounds like the trip will be beneficial. I just got blind sided by a suicide. A friend, former Marine and gunsmith ate a .45, no clue, no warning , his twin brother is devastated. Both served in the crotch, in Afghanistan. Hell the dude just bought a new Harley, hard to figure why he did, there were plenty of people around if he just said something. Prayers sent
When you're in that situation, emotionally, its not that easy to talk. There's guilt and shame, and just plain pain. It can be like youre covered in a big, wet, blanket of pain. You just want it to stop.

Reactions: jrassy
You don’t feel like maybe you should have done more? Like saying “hey go behind the police station to do it” was kinda doubling down for him, huh?
It was 30 years ago and you dont know the entire situation. I was visiting from out of town and had to leave that morning. We had long talks and I treid to reason with him and thought I had gotten through. Other than calling cops or something, what could I do? He would have just denied he was thinking that and ended up hating me, and nothing would have changed.

My advice was purely practical .hoping to save his son some horror.

this! Check out Shawn ryan

was he using big pharma Medications for mental health? everyone who commitssucude seems to be on them
Same here. And Have him listen to the Shawn Ryan podcasts.

Plan a backcountry trip.

I lost my brother last year to this. I live with regret of not doing more, not knowing the depth of his pain. I know it wasn’t my fault, but it still feels like it was.
We all have to acknowledge that we are not in control of them, and there is only so much you can do. We do what we can, but still get to contend with the internal guilt feeling of “failing” to arrest their fall.

Holidays are a tough time. I lost my brother the day after Christmas and lost a friend a year later on the day after Thanksgiving. In both cases - we had them over for the holiday. It’s now my opinion that buying them time by “sharing” the holiday only seems to intensify the issue when they go home.

I have another friend currently that I keep coaxing back away from the edge. He’s a “gun guy”. But it takes a lot out of you also because many times they are “toxic” to be around. We used to go shooting every weekend, but that’s dangerous when they are fucked up on booze and pills when you get there. You can only give so much of yourself in the process, and getting shot or witnessing their suicide isn’t going to be any fun either. Do you go shooting to be with them? Or do you not go with them and further alienate them? Attempting to get them professional help, in my brother’s case, only pushed him closer to the edge. So now I spend hours on the phone listening to him be angry about the world. I do not know how to fix this....

I have another friend currently that I keep coaxing back away from the edge. He’s a “gun guy”. But it takes a lot out of you also because many times they are “toxic” to be around. We used to go shooting every weekend, but that’s dangerous when they are fucked up on booze and pills when you get there. You can only give so much of yourself in the process, and getting shot or witnessing their suicide isn’t going to be any fun either. Do you go shooting to be with them? Or do you not go with them and further alienate them? Attempting to get them professional help, in my brother’s case, only pushed him closer to the edge. So now I spend hours on the phone listening to him be angry about the world. I do not know how to fix this....
Thats several mouthfuls there and good stuff to chew on. Sometimes you have to protect yourself...and family. Its an slippery slope thats had extra grease put on it.

Thats several mouthfuls there and good stuff to chew on. Sometimes you have to protect yourself...and family. Its an slippery slope thats had extra grease put on it.
He’s sharing his pain, but it comes out as anger...

• Sad
Reactions: Maggot
Not sure if this was covered. Be very cautious about him telling you what you want to hear.
I lost a best buddy who was deep down the rabbit hole, but could trick us into thinking he was fine.
Hopefully he is willing to accept the help of friendship you offer.

He’s sharing his pain, but it comes out as anger...
BTDT, I know personally.

Ultimately its up to him but there is help.

40 years ago I was in that pain and it always came out as anger. I'd made the decision to end it. I was talking to an old Christian woman and made the remark "I'm gonna hurt a lot of people.". She stopped, looked at me, and said "No, no youre not. You, I, and Jesus, are going to get down and pray and find out whats eating you and you're going to live."

I'm sure it will disappoint Bender and many others but here we be 40 years later.

Anyone out there who needs to talk, send me a PM and we'll swatch phone #'s.

It was 30 years ago and you dont know the entire situation. I was visiting from out of town and had to leave that morning. We had long talks and I treid to reason with him and thought I had gotten through. Other than calling cops or something, what could I do? He would have just denied he was thinking that and ended up hating me, and nothing would have changed.

My advice was purely practical .hoping to save his son some horror.
You answered your own question. Called someone and let them know. You seem oddly okay with it, which is even scarier. You could have done lots more then telling him to do it behind the police station to do it.

Afraid he would have hated you? What’s better, him being mad at you for trying to help?

Why are you even here Maggot? Seriously?

You answered your own question. Called someone and let them know. You seem oddly okay with it, which is even scarier. You could have done lots more then telling him to do it behind the police station to do it.

Afraid he would have hated you? What’s better, him being mad at you for trying to help?

Why are you even here Maggot? Seriously?
Like I said, yit was 30 years ago, our wernt there, you dont know the whole situation. I thought I had him talked out of it. I knew no one to call.

I made a decision based on the situation, right or wrong I can stand with it, and dont really give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks.

I you dont like it, join Pigeon man and put me on ignore.

I know you'll get a ton of advice, not sure what sticks and what doesn't. I did my career in the Air Force, it wasn't a den of horrors but we still lost guys to suicide.

My only advice to the few I've known was that life is better on this side of the grass. He's got a girlfriend who cared enough to come save him, that's love and pussy. Both are great things.

He's got friends who care, guys like you in his corner every day. Just try for God's sake to work thru it.

I'm not religious but I went through a horrible situation and wanted to lay down and die many years ago. On a pamphlet rack in a church was a little calendar book with a positive message for every day.

I thought it was stupid, but it gave me a positive thought to focus on. After a few days I looked forward to reading them. It helped.

Help can be anywhere if you just keep looking and focus on living. Accept it.

I know you'll get a ton of advice, not sure what sticks and what doesn't. I did my career in the Air Force, it wasn't a den of horrors but we still lost guys to suicide.

My only advice to the few I've known was that life is better on this side of the grass. He's got a girlfriend who cared enough to come save him, that's love and pussy. Both are great things.

He's got friends who care, guys like you in his corner every day. Just try for God's sake to work thru it.

I'm not religious but I went through a horrible situation and wanted to lay down and die many years ago. On a pamphlet rack in a church was a little calendar book with a positive message for every day.

I thought it was stupid, but it gave me a positive thought to focus on. After a few days I looked forward to reading them. It helped.

Help can be anywhere if you just keep looking and focus on living. Accept it.
Amazing how little things can change a life. I was in a phne booth in California and picked up a tract that said..."Jesus died and rose again."

Click, a light went on.

Reactions: jMarine
I'm kicking around the idea of flying him out to a secluded island somewhere where we can kick back a few cold ones and relax.

I've had a couple friends kill themselves and its not a problem you can fix by taking them out for a beer. He needs a psychiatrist or a possible 5150/rehab if he's on drugs or alcohol.

You don’t feel like maybe you should have done more? Like saying “hey go behind the police station to do it” was kinda doubling down for him, huh?

A friend of mine called me up talking about how horrible his life was, how his girlfriend left him, he was living in his parents garage, he'd been calling me like this for months and I told him I was busy with work and couldn't hang out. He wanted to move in with me I told him no, he needed to get himself cleaned up, pull yourself up by your bootstraps type of bullshit. I didn't think he would kill himself right afterward and then I didn't find out for weeks because his parents didn't have my number just a streetname that I used.

• Sad
Reactions: JR_77
A friend of mine called me up talking about how horrible his life was, how his girlfriend left him, he was living in his parents garage, he'd been calling me like this for months and I told him I was busy with work and couldn't hang out. He wanted to move in with me I told him no, he needed to get himself cleaned up, pull yourself up by your bootstraps type of bullshit. I didn't think he would kill himself right afterward and then I didn't find out for weeks because his parents didn't have my number just a streetname that I used.
Not knowing the whole situation, all I can say is that you had to make a decision. There's only so much you can give before you get consumed yourself. Not letting him move in was no doubt the right choice.

This. I harped in my brother to toughen up. Now I have deep regret

The Mrs and I volunteer at the Veterans Therapeutic Court and with the local vet center. Between us, we’ve helped 9 vets turn their lives around.

If you have a vet center, ask them for help. They know all of the people to reach out to. If you have a veterans Therapeutic court, call them and ask about resources. They’re out there.

Prayers and good luck.

Anytime someone tries pills to kill them self, they're not actually sure they want to die, are hoping someone will save them in time, and could be looking for the attention. Where you know you want to go, there are quicker, more guaranteed methods.

Not true. Many gun-haters and professionals, esp. women, see this as best option.

There is an isolation going on that is NOT organic. We need to take care of each other.

Reactions: Terry Cross
Ketamine (even supervised ecstasy) is not a bad idea, but is not the solution by itself. Stellate ganglion blocks are a better option if available, knowing Brandon's hatred for vets/patriots this program is probaly on the back burner - anybody have insight on availability?
I dodnt know whee youre located but here in Lawton (Ok) theres a place you can walk in, get diagnosed, and get that treatment. I've heard it helps but usually oonly temporarily, then yu need another infusion.. They can likely direct one to services in their area.

Like mushrooms, or any consciousness altering drug, its not an answer in and of itself. what it can do is open doors to a person who feels like theyre locked in a room with no way out. Its just an opening, the individual has to grab it and keep climbing out.

Red River Ketamine Wellness Center​

1685818501679.png
Red River Ketamine Wellness Center
https://rrkwc.com

ketamine treatment lawton ok from rrkwc.com
Looking for Ketamine treatment in Lawton, OK? Red River Ketamine Wellness Center is providing rapid relief for mood and pain disorders to OK residents.

I've had a couple friends kill themselves and its not a problem you can fix by taking them out for a beer. He needs a psychiatrist or a possible 5150/rehab if he's on drugs or alcohol.
He drinks from time to time, but doesn't mess with drugs outside of this incident. I can say with certainty he doesn't have a drug or alcohol problem. He's a fitness nut and aside from a little extra testosterone (he's on TRT) he's clean as a whistle.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
He drinks from time to time, but doesn't mess with drugs outside of this incident. I can say with certainty he doesn't have a drug or alcohol problem. He's a fitness nut and aside from a little extra testosterone (he's on TRT) he's clean as a whistle.
You had said early on that he took 18 or 19 Oxycontin. Those are ‘scrip only. So, he’s been getting them from somewhere. Do I think they’re the root cause of his problems? No, not at all.

I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of him having an addiction problem at this stage though. (If I missed/misunderstood something obvious, my apologies in advance).

You’ve got your work cut out for you. Lean on us, there’s probably very few things more satisfying than successfully helping pull a friend back from the edge.

Thank you, everybody, for not hammering me for my spiritual beliefs & experiences. This situation is really tough & we all do the best we can.
Your beliefs are just that. They belong to you and no one else. You don't owe anyone any thanks. You have every right to them and you always will. You don't have to justify anything to anyone. ;) :)

If your buddy did tours in Iraq/Afghanistan, I'm curious if the enemy, ISIS, Al-Qaeda, Taliban suffers PTSD and off themselves?

My dad served in the Pacific in WWII and later in Korea and saw some things he never talked about but he just drank more and got meaner and more quiet at the end.

Most of the Greatest Generation returned to get degrees, start a family and own businesses and suffered in silence. Many came back scarred and wounded physically but the emotional wounds they carried went with them untold to their graves but didn't cause them to kill themselves.

It seems modern day vets are killing themselves at the rate WWII vets are dying of natural causes.

If your buddy did tours in Iraq/Afghanistan, I'm curious if the enemy, ISIS, Al-Qaeda, Taliban suffers PTSD and off themselves?

My dad served in the Pacific in WWII and later in Korea and saw some things he never talked about but he just drank more and got meaner and more quiet at the end.

Most of the Greatest Generation returned to get degrees, start a family and own businesses and suffered in silence. Many came back scarred and wounded physically but the emotional wounds they carried went with them untold to their graves but didn't cause them to kill themselves.

It seems modern day vets are killing themselves at the rate WWII vets are dying of natural causes.
I wasnt there so I can oly speculate. It seems that after Viet Nam there was a big loss of respect in our military. Then we got President Cheney and boy George who started two wars we had little chance of winning. Then we got O'Buttwad who further destroyed the faith in our troops, spreading dissention every where in our nation. Now we have an idiot at the helm. I lot must wonder "WTF did I do that for?"

Lack of real purpose, too much horror with a lack of support.

Reactions: Mudburner
I wasnt there so I can oly speculate. It seems that after Viet Nam there was a big loss of respect in our military. Then we got President Cheney and boy George who started two wars we had little chance of winning. Then we got O'Buttwad who further destroyed the faith in our troops, spreading dissention every where in our nation. Now we have an idiot at the helm. I lot must wonder "WTF did I do that for?"

Lack of real purpose, too much horror with a lack of support.
I guess you're right. Fighting as a Patriot for your country, you returned in WWII a hero and wore it with pride.

In Vietnam you were used and then spit on when you got home. No hero status.

Even after the bloodiest war, the Civil War, where the South was villainized and punished afterwards, you rarely heard of suicides.

Got tagged into this and I'll throw in my .02.

First, @vinniedelpino if your buddy needs to talk to someone, ping me with his contact info and I'll call. I'm working some stupid shifts right now so it would be difficult for him to call me and have me awake, home, and/or coherent.

I'll say straight up that if not for the people here I wouldn't be typing this. I tried calling a hotline but the girl I spoke with had zero clue what I was experiencing and couldn't understand even after I explained. One really needs to talk to someone who has "been there/done that" to get a sense they do understand.

This was the referenced thread:

Personally I have been dealing with these issues since losing my mind in 2005 but the last one was by far the worst. God's grace, self medication and the help from people here got me through it.

Got tagged into this and I'll throw in my .02.

First, @vinniedelpino if your buddy needs to talk to someone, ping me with his contact info and I'll call. I'm working some stupid shifts right now so it would be difficult for him to call me and have me awake, home, and/or coherent.

I'll say straight up that if not for the people here I wouldn't be typing this. I tried calling a hotline but the girl I spoke with had zero clue what I was experiencing and couldn't understand even after I explained. One really needs to talk to someone who has "been there/done that" to get a sense they do understand.

This was the referenced thread:

Personally I have been dealing with these issues since losing my mind in 2005 but the last one was by far the worst. God's grace, self medication and the help from people here got me through it.
We're here, 24/7. I always enjoy waking up in the middle of the night to hear a friends voice.

Our wonderful communist neighbors to the north, Canada, is suggesting and supporting suicide as an answer for it's geriatrics.

I wouldn't give the Left the satisfaction of off'g myself, doing to myself what they want to do. And believe me, it would be perfectly fine with our current government and elitists, looking at you Bill Gates, if you, me and everyone else here, self destructed.

That alone should keep people fighting to stay alive.

Reactions: Yasherka
Our wonderful communist neighbors to the north, Canada, is suggesting and supporting suicide as an answer for it's geriatrics.

I wouldn't give the Left the satisfaction of off'g myself, doing to myself what they want to do. And believe me, it would be perfectly fine with our current government and elitists, looking at you Bill Gates, if you, me and everyone else here, self destructed.

That alone should keep people fighting to stay alive.
Personally, I support the right to end yor own life, if YOU choose to do that. Its the one thing you have that is 100% yours.

On the other hand, I'd argue against taking that step unless youre in terminal pain.

Personally, I support the right to end yor own life, if YOU choose to do that. Its the one thing you have that is 100% yours.

On the other hand, I'd argue against taking that step unless youre in terminal pain.
I'd at least try and vote first.

I'd probably be voting straight Democrat afterwards.

You had said early on that he took 18 or 19 Oxycontin. Those are ‘scrip only. So, he’s been getting them from somewhere. Do I think they’re the root cause of his problems? No, not at all.

I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of him having an addiction problem at this stage though. (If I missed/misunderstood something obvious, my apologies in advance).
This ^^^ I’ve known two different people in my adult life that were what I would call a “high functioning” addict/alcoholic but it wasn’t visible in dealing with them they hid it well.

Eventually big life stressors happened and the issues became known but it was a surprise.

Last edited:
I'd at least try and vote first.

I'd probably be voting straight Democrat afterwards.
Oh, I aint going out that way, Im going to suck every last drop of social security I can. I paid for it, I'll be damned if Chuck Schumer Slimer is going to get a penny. If I can scam some welfare I'm going for that too.

Reactions: TexPatriot
With that being said that is one big issue out of the equation. I honestly feel this man needs to sit in a circle with other men that have gone threw the same dark depression and hear how they climbed out of darkness into the light. Brothers helping brothers, he should know these men have been where he is and hear there experience strength and hope, and that is where his recovery will begin. I heard another good suggestion go on a good camping trip with a trusted friend.

Reactions: vinniedelpino

I don't think you have to worry about the government taking that right from you. What are they going to do, arrest you afterwards?

The cops will even help you.

• Haha
I don't think you have to worry about the government taking that right from you. What are they going to do, arrest you afterwards?

The cops will even help you.
Trouble is, if you dont make it home, they will lock you up.

I was skeptical about airing this crap out on the internet, but the hide did not disappoint.

I had a TON of PMs chock full of promising leads in addition to the posts above that I'm looking into.

My wife also gave the OK to book that impromptu trip. I'm going to fly him out to the islands and hash all this out while we sit on the beach. I'll bring a folder with me with a bunch of options referenced in this thread and see if I can get a commitment out of him. Fingers crossed.

Either way I'm going to make it a point to reach out every day while he's on his way to work for a little light hearted conversation. I can't see that hurting any.

I'll update this thread when I get back. In the meantime, I just want to send out a sincere THANK YOU for your feedback and support.
Bring some shrooms with you man. Like others have mentioned, mushrooms could probably replace every antidepressant on the market right now and work 10x better. LSD is a little more intense, weird and introspective with not as much of the mood lifting qualities of mushrooms IMO.
5-meo-DMT and n,n-DMT if you literally want to meet God. Very good at solving addiction issues as the entities will literally tell you "come back when you aint dependant on all that nonsense". Ibogaine as well. These are extremely powerful experiences though, life changing in every way. For an easier less intense experience that is still very healing, mushrooms all the way.

Reactions: jrassy and Maggot
Bring some shrooms with you man. Like others have mentioned, mushrooms could probably replace every antidepressant on the market right now and work 10x better. LSD is a little more intense, weird and introspective with not as much of the mood lifting qualities of mushrooms IMO.
5-meo-DMT and n,n-DMT if you literally want to meet God. Very good at solving addiction issues as the entities will literally tell you "come back when you aint dependant on all that nonsense". Ibogaine as well. These are extremely powerful experiences though, life changing in every way. For an easier less intense experience that is still very healing, mushrooms all the way.
This is questionable. While I do support the use of psychedelics in a therapeutic setting, with a person in that state of mind, I wouldnt recommend casual use. It's best done with a skilled therapist, in a controlled setting, where help is available if needed.

Psychedelics can peel away a lot of layers of the subconscious to get to the problem, but opening it can be very traumatic for the individual. It can bring up immense amounts of buried pain quickly.

I lost my brother last year to this. I live with regret of not doing more, not knowing the depth of his pain. I know it wasn’t my fault, but it still feels like it was.
You are not alone with the regret. My mom stepped in front of a freight train a few years back after a long career as a NICU nurse and a particularly devastating case where the infant died through no fault of hers, but she didn't take it that way. Since then, I try to tell folks what they mean to me every chance I get.

Good man. I lost touch with a military buddy years after getting out, and was shocked to hear he offed himself. Helping him might just be one of the reasons you’re here. When you’re on the beach try to convince him to get help from other vets. They do, in fact, know, and talking to someone who knows is far different than talking to some clinically trained therapist.
Having talked to those “trained” people before, I can tell you that they’re trained alright. Trained only to see weaknesses and to try and prescribe them away.

The real world doesn’t work like a chemistry lab though, and we end up seeing the results like with Chris Kyle’s death.

He was killed incidentally by a bad prescription.