• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Best hunting 7mm-08 bullet for 18" barrel

DrewinTejas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2011
McKinney, Tx
I am building a new hunting rifle soon and it will be used for Whitetail, Hogs, and whatever else I get the chance to shoot. The build specs are Mcm A1-A3, PTG bottom metal, Rem700 SA trued w/ pinned recoil lug, 18" Rock 8.5 twist 18" sendero profile barrel.

I currently shoot a 7mm-08 with 162amax but wanting to push a lighter round such as a 140gr for hunting. I am hoping to be in the 2850-2900fps range and was wanting to know if anyone has a similar setup or a hunting load.

Thanks

Re: Best hunting 7mm-08 bullet for 18" barrel

Not exactly what you asked but I'm shooting 100 grain Sierra Varminters out of my 22 in factory Savage. Running somewhere around 3250 fps and I get around .5-1 MOA. It's devastating on all the hogs I've shot in the panhandle as well as an antelope, a few white tail, and mule deer. Works great on coyotes too but it's extremely hard on hides.

What about the 139 grain SST?

I use the 162 Amax and have been happy with it.

One of my hunting buddies uses a Rem 788 7mm-08 w/ an 18" barrel, I load for it. It shoots a 140gr TSX behind RL17 very well, I set it up to duplicate the factory load at around 2750 fps as I recall. It did not like Varget or H4895 at all with the TSX. If this rifle had a strong action there would be some more speed in it, but probaby not a whole lot more. As it is I kept it conservative & it has no problem putting meat in the freezer.

Im reloading my son's 7mm-08 with 140 gr Berger VLD. Great results.

I don't think you would be able to push the 140's at 2800fps out of an 18" tube, but 2700 is doable, some Reloader 17 ought to get you there, about 46gr. behind a 140gr. Hornady SST is what I use.

I would be happy with the mid 2700s which I think might be doable. I can push a 162amax over 2825fps in a 26" tube now but I tuned it down seeing it is my comp gun. I am just wanting a good round to shoot out past 500yds which is why I am kinda leaning towards the Berger 140 VLD.

Run the numbers on the 168 VLD hunting bullet at 2575 FPS, you will be pleased. I am planning my next build, either in 308 or 7mm-08. It will have an 18" barrel as well. If I want near the performance of the 7-08 with the 168 in a 308, I would have to shoot a 210 VLD at around 2400 FPS. Both are achievable.

139 gmax in super performance

Also, I know a guy who shot 30 plus animals with 162 a max in Africa with no issues

Run the numbers and its hard to beat a 120g BT, or 120 TTSX for thicker skin game inside 400 yards. True, the 140's have a slightly higher BC which might make a difference for paper punching. But you'll like the 120g's at 3000 fps.

I've shot 15 or 20 deer with factory Hornady 7mm-08 139gr SST ammunition. I have zero complaints about the bullet's performance. Only one of those deer didn't drop right in its tracks and that one made it less than 50 yards.

OK, so this suggestion is "old school" but Here goes. I have hunted with the 7MM08 for over twenty years now. In that time my rifles have killed close to fifty deer, two antelope and at least three coyotes. Most all that game has fallen to the Speer 130 grain SPBT running at 2700 FPS. I have never had to track one single animal.

After talking with my smith I think I am going to do a 284 instead of a 7mm-08.

The one that shoots accurately in your rifle. I know it's not the generalized answer you want, but it's the truth. Just go down the list of bullets mentioned and start trying them in your rifle till you find one that shoots good. If you put it in the right spot any of the bullets mentioned are more than capable of killing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrewinTejas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After talking with my smith I think I am going to do a 284 instead of a 7mm-08. </div></div>

IMHO, you are making a mistake going 284 on a SA. The 284 needs the benefit of a LA to get the most out of it.

Dont listen to your smith, do what you want and post the results, im intersted!

I would not go with a .284 in a short action either. The case is too long.

But I am really thinking about a 7mm-08 as well. I have an extra short action here and would like to put together a light weight hunter!

Not exactly what you asked but I threw a shoe at my neighbors damn cat that has been spraying on my garage.
I'm not sure the velocity but it did drop a little low at about 6 yards before it skipped into it.

I bet that little #*$%&% got my garage good that night.

I'd go with what shoot4fun or redgoat says for the 7-08 and hunting.

Run a 284 shehane it will negate loss of case cap by seating bullet short
It will work perfectly in a S/A just not ideal OAL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not exactly what you asked but I threw a shoe at my neighbors damn cat that has been spraying on my garage.
I'm not sure the velocity but it did drop a little low at about 6 yards before it skipped into it.

I bet that little #*$%&% got my garage good that night.

I'd go with what shoot4fun or redgoat says for the 7-08 and hunting.
</div></div>

LOOK OUT!!!
That may be a felony in Socal.
smile.gif

Gotta love those "not exactly what you asked for" replies!

Well he had built a 18" 7-08 the other day and had great results speed wise. He also built a 284 and is still working on loads for it. But it is jamming the ogive way down in the case. So I am waiting on Rock for my other barrel and will decide once it gets here. I am leaning towards 708 as I have brass and dies already for it.

I ran the Nosler 120's last year and was not overly happy, great on coyotes but little to no expansion on a deer and also lost a pig. I'll either use the 162's I already have loaded or if time permits 140gr Accubonds which I've had outstanding results in other calibers.