• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Best Hunting backpack?

clrems77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Orange County Ca
Need a new backpack which I can use for day hunts as well as an overnighter. I travel pretty light and was looking for something I could use for pig/deer/elk hunting that would fit my necessities (Water, food, emergency) as well as some game meat. Trying to find that happy medium of not too bulky but enough room to fit everything. Also something very durable!

Thanks!

I just picked up a Kifaru EMR2 it packs down to 2400cu in up 8400cu in or so. Its dimensionally big, but pretty light IMO, seems to be one of their premier hunting packs. Its got plenty of pockets and what not. Should take everything I have and also pack down enough for day trip use.

Not cheap though but it will last me a lifetime.

Mystery Ranch Crew Cab is my next pack.
I have an Eberlestock X1A1 now and have packed elk, sheep, and deer in it. It works but not what it's intended for plus the rifle scabbard gets full of debris and ends up in your muzzle. The Eberlestock Blue Widow would be a good choice if your on a budget and as previously mentioned the Kifaru packs are really nice.

My buddies say Kifaru. I'm saving my pennies to pick one up. But damn are they spendy!

xdeano

Mystery Ranch or Kifaru…can't go wrong. If you're looking for something cheaper REI brand packs are actually pretty nice for the money.

Kifaru. Check out the timberline models too. I like my T2 enough that I didn't spring for the new nomad. Reading the kifaru forums some guys like the nomad others can't warm up to it for various reasons and I think they make good points as to why. I'd head to their forums to read up. I do a fair amount of backpack hunting in the high country. Most comfortable packs I've worn to date and I have a few. Worth saving for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mystery Ranch is allegedly coming out with a new lightweight crew cab frame. The crew cab is pretty heavy. Stone Glacier packs are supposed to be very nice as well.

An Eberle X2 will get you by, for not alot of scratch. But, if you're tall, and/or carrying heavy loads, you'll see the shortcomings of the suspension system.

I have a Kifaru Bikini frame w/ 4800 & 7000ci Highcamp bags. The Bikini frame is excellent in all aspects, tough & lightweight, and you can mix/match bags, dependant on your hauling requirements. From the batwing style Nomad, to the simplistic Highcamp single bag, pick what ya need and strap it to a Bikini frame. Be prepared to pay a premium for the quality!

That said, I also have an Exo Mountain Gear 3500 pack arriving today & hope to be using it for our backcountry hunts this season. The Exo packs have gotten rave reviews early on, and were designed by backcountry hunters, for their specific needs. Lightweight, tough, comfortable to hunt in, and the ability to haul a serious load of protein back to the truck. The Exo's price point is quite reasonable, compared to a Kifaru combo. If my Exo passes muster, it's coming to CO in two weeks...

An Eberle X2 will get you by, for not alot of scratch. But, if you're tall, and/or carrying heavy loads, you'll see the shortcomings of the suspension system.

I have a Kifaru Bikini frame w/ 4800 & 7000ci Highcamp bags. The Bikini frame is excellent in all aspects, tough & lightweight, and you can mix/match bags, dependant on your hauling requirements. From the batwing style Nomad, to the simplistic Highcamp single bag, pick what ya need and strap it to a Bikini frame. Be prepared to pay a premium for the quality!

That said, I also have an Exo Mountain Gear 3500 pack arriving today & hope to be using it for our backcountry hunts this season. The Exo packs have gotten rave reviews early on, and were designed by backcountry hunters, for their specific needs. Lightweight, tough, comfortable to hunt in, and the ability to haul a serious load of protein back to the truck. The Exo's price point is quite reasonable, compared to a Kifaru combo. If my Exo passes muster, it's coming to CO in two weeks...

Let us know how you like the Exo. I've been looking at those as well and it might be my next pack. They look really nice for the money and very well made. I got a great deal on a Kifaru T2 and will be using that this year. From what I understand they're pretty tried and true.

I have to say the Exo looks very nice. Cool to see another high quality option.

Let us know how that Exo works out, first I've seen them and I'm impressed! Might order that over the MR Crew Cab.

Need a new backpack which I can use for day hunts as well as an overnighter. I travel pretty light and was looking for something I could use for pig/deer/elk hunting that would fit my necessities (Water, food, emergency) as well as some game meat. Trying to find that happy medium of not too bulky but enough room to fit everything. Also something very durable!

Thanks!

McHale! there is no comparison with a McHale to any of the packs mentioned here, not even close, but they are not cheap but you asked what is the best hunting backpack.

Look at a freighter pack, unless you are miles form the trail head on steep twisted terrain and toting all your camp, these are one of the best backpacks for hunting. Strap a small day pack onto the frame and go hunt.

I think best and hunting backpacks means many different things to hunters, I would define your hunting and AO for better responses and help or suggestions.

good luck

Let us know how that Exo works out, first I've seen them and I'm impressed! Might order that over the MR Crew Cab.

Just a few quick two mile treks with the Exo over the weekend, carrying a 40lb. load, so not much time to really prove much. Preliminary opinion is that this Exo is at least as comfortable as the Kifaru Bikini frame at that minimal load weight.

Things/features I like in the Exo, over the Kifaru Bikini/Highcamp:
sewn in carry handle on top of pack
top lid w/storage is standard (longhunter lid is optional on Kifaru)
side zipper access on main bag (none on Highcamp)
ease of access to load shelf between frame/bag (load shelf is optional on both)
water resistant liner in main bag (none in Highcamp)
Velcro strap 'keepers' to keep loose strap ends from dangling everywhere
Lighter overall weight
Titanium Exo frame seems to 'flow' better with upper body movement
$$$PRICE$$$

Again, just preliminary observations, but 99% made the decision that this pack is gonna come to Colorado in two weeks for our archery elk hunt in the backcountry. NOT getting rid of my Kifaru stuff, by any means, but this Exo pack looks to be the real deal...

Last edited:
I've used and owned a pretty wide selection of the high end hunting packs, and the Stone Glacier is the best I've crossed paths with. I use the Solo, and it is sufficient for 3-4 days with my gear, or a it makes a great day pack.

Just over three lbs, yet it carries 100+ surprisingly well. The design also does a great job of carrying meat close to your back but separate from your gear.

Last edited:
I had Randy at Cold Cold World make me up a Chaos Model in camo. I used it sheep hunting this year in the Brooks Range and it was the lightest, most comfortable, well designed, and well made pack I have ever used. 50 lbs seemed as if it was not there.
intro

Attachments

• 1458710_10204938737254976_3894531635846912800_n.jpg
    1458710_10204938737254976_3894531635846912800_n.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 10620650_10204939808001744_9164225534134205994_n.jpg
    10620650_10204939808001744_9164225534134205994_n.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 45
I've tried a bunch and right now I'm liking my Tenzing 4000. It expands to 4000 which includes a separate meat compartment. Also has a buttstock holder for a rifle. You could bivy for a couple of nights with this pack. It's tough too. I just did 2 60 lbs loads of elk with mine a couple of weeks ago.

I have packed out at least 20 animals and hauled a ton of gear in my 5 year old Mystery Ranch

Not saying it is the best, but extreme in durability and versatility

Heavy, yes - but not with a load. Weight is so evenly distributed. I went to the Mfg facility and they fit the pack to me. Amazing diff

My Choice: Kifaru Scout

If you are looking for a pack that will work well when hunting by the truck and mobility is key, then this pack size is what you want. This is not a load hauler by any means, but it can handle a decent amount of weight when needed. These packs also work great for turkey and antelope hunting as well as those quick trips into the wilderness that don’t require a ton of gear.

The Kifaru scout is rated at 1,200 cubic inches (it’s a little larger then that I think), but with the added 2-quart canteen pockets, I can easily get day's worth of gear inside as well as a jacket and an extra base layer. This pack also has a couple internal pockets that make organization a little easier. The max comfort load on the Scout is 30-40 lbs.

Reactions: SLG
I just purchased the Tenzing 6000. good for a week long trip and can haul the meat. the pack has an integrated aluminum frame and seems to fit my back good. I am a larger person though. they also make a 5000 ci pack. I like all the features that this pack has to offer. it has a rifle/bow holder, detachable day pack, multiple attachment points. I bought from this site Tenzing 6000 Pack they ran in to an issue where the pack was not in stock at the time of my order and the owner called me and notified me of the error. without asking they threw in a free hydration pack. I am gearing up for my hunt in October and cant wait to utilize this pack.

Just got back from CO backcountry
This EXO pack is a winner! Killed a 5x5 bull, and packed the meat out between frame & bag using the optional meat shelf. ~85 lbs. in a TAG BOMB bag, stuffed in a Kifaru Meat Baggie...
iPHONE5pics038_zps73df22c3.jpg

After a wonderful hail storm, the last trip was meat, head & bow...
iPHONE5pics049_zps082c29e1.jpg

This EXO pack is super comfy, hardly notice its on with day hunt gear stowed. No problem drawing/shooting the bow with the pack on. We'll see how long it holds up, but after one good trip, I'm really diggin' this EXO pack...

Reactions: Franck
I bought a Badlands Ox - have never tried Kifaru or Eberlestock but hard to imagine a better design for hauling meat.

Reactions: Franck
I am a huge Stone Glacier pack fan! And I have owned Badlands, Eberlestock, Kifaru and Mystery Ranch.

Did the op ever get a pack? 4 year old thread...

Someone up above touted the Kifaru Scout. Easily one of my two favorite packs. I've actually carried an entire smallish doe out in it. Not comfortable at all, but it did the job. We do the gutless method.

Not so popular, but I'm also a huge fan of the good old ALICE pack. For light trips, no frame or waist belt needed. Compacts well, but has lots of room if needed for meat or whatever. Sits on the back like a fighting pack should, so slinging your rifle is easy, which is how i prefer to carry it.

If you really need to haul stuff, there are a few good aftermarket frames available that do a pretty credible job. Plus the frame can be left in the truck as a hauler.

Very versatile hauler, and pretty inexpensive.

Reactions: 96C
I have to say the Exo looks very nice. Cool to see another high quality option.

Have a EXO 5500, compresses well.
For the OP I'd think the 3500 would get the job done.
Visited the shop a few weeks ago, enjoyed the customer service.
Got some swag for my effort.

Lol, didn't check the date.
R

I have a Voodoo Praetorian that has proven to be pretty tough. Carries my 700 or SCAR securely. Lots of room and exterior pockets for easy access to small stuff. Molle straps all over. And in addition to bouncing around a Pinzgauer it has taken a ton of abuse. Zippers are all still good, no tears, and seam stitching is all solid after five years.

Before some health issues put on the brakes on me I regularly carried 30 pounds (gear plus rifle) in relative comfort.

Back when, I think I paid just under $150 for it.

Thanks!

Stone glacier gets my vote. X-frame is light and the packs are versatile with plenty of options to chose from. They seem expensive until you are loaded with 100+ pounds and need to hike out. You’ll be glad you spent the extra money then. Never had a Kifaru or MR. reviews on them are good so if you go with one of the three you will most likely be happy with your purchase.

Have used Stone Glacier, Kifaru, and Mystery Ranch all pretty extensively. My preference is Kifaru for a do all for hunting brown bears and moose quarters. For dedicated mountain hunting the bag layout and the lighter weight of the Stone Glacier I prefer. Just like scopes and rifles, once you get to the upper end of things its really hard to go "wrong" more or less comes down to personal preferences and/or needs.

Check out Hill People Gear packs. I use there UTE and it packs well and rides on the back well. They have a number of different models and for mainly packing meat and such they have the Decker pack. This is vet owned and the Hill brothers test there product out almost daily on the Western slope in CO.

I just got my Kifaru 44 Mag and it’s pretty bad ass but overkill for just an overnight hunt. They make some smaller packs as well but I haven’t liked anything as much as the kifaru

Badlands Super Day pack for me. However, the needs of a whitetail hunter in the East are very different than western hunters.

Kuiu Pro 3600.

Also can consider eberlestock (I love my Gunslinger II and my little trick).