• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best hunting scope for $. help!!!

JWGILLAM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2009
asheville nc
I have a winchester 30-06 Model 70 classic stainless Boss that I picked up last year for next to nothing. it is strictly my hunting rifle. It came with what looks like Leupold Bases and Rings. Also came with a cheap-o Barska 3-9x40 scope. its shoots good with it but I want to upgrade to something more reliable. in my area 3-9 or so is all that is needed. I'm looking for something that has good clarity, durablity, ability to hold zero season after season. and <span style="text-decoration: underline">warranty</span> (this is something I plan to have a long time). Looking at the following Scopes (3-9 unless listed otherwise):

Nikon Buckmasters
Burris Fulfield II
Bushnell Trophy XLT
Vortex Diamond Back
Weaver Buck Commander in 2.5-10

All are < $220 which is what I'd like to stay under.

Thanks

Justin

Re: Best hunting scope for $

Another one to consider if you can raise your budget just a little is the open box demos of Minox ZA 3 3-9x40 from Cameralandny.com at $280 I think.

Re: Best hunting scope for $

budget can be raised slightly for quality so another option is thrown in the pot

Re: Best hunting scope for $. help!!!

Nice selection to choose from....noticed you had the Weaver Buck commander listed. Sooo, visit www.natchezss.com and on right side of Natchez's opening screen click on the October E-flyer catalog (deer on it) and see page 17 for the discontinued TR1 and TR2 Nitrex by Weaver scopes. I have two of the TR2 scopes....really good bright/clear glass and has pull up turrets. These are discontinued scopes for discount prices...also Nitrex has a $50 or $100 Rebate, depending on model. So, you can get a TR2 2-10x42 for $150 (plus shipping) final cost after rebate. Basically the Nitrex are Weaver grand slams or super slams that sell for twice the price of these Nitrex. In short, the Nitrex is a heck of a scope for a heck of a price at Natchez. One year exchange and then a lifetime warranty and Weaver handles warranty.

Nitrex. I got it on my Browning 30-06. If you look at the directions for the reticle, it seems like they designed the reticle after the ballistics for the 30-06.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?con...rodTitle=Nitrex TR Two 3-15X42mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish Etched EBX Reticle

$240 after rebate for the etched EBX reticle and $200 for the regular plex reticle. Glass is awesome for the price, better than Nikon Monarch, comparable with Zeiss. Holds zero fine and good eye relief. Lifetime warranty!

dlxcupid,

I have the same TR2 scope as you but got the $200 trexplex reticle one and yep the glass is awesome...SF and turrets pretty good too. First time at private range with the scope had 5 guys I regularly shoot with sit down with rifle and evaluate the Nitrex. You'll find Leupolds, Nikons, Burris, Sightrons and etc. on their rifles. All had nothing but positive comments about scope. About a week after this a club member I'd never met sat at a bench near me with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-15x44 SF and I'll ask him to compare the Nitrex to his Zeiss. After several minutes with the Nitrex...guy basically told me it was very comparable in quality of glass and features of his Zeiss Conquest (a $850 scope) Should have seen the look on his face when I revealed its price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlxcupid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nitrex. I got it on my Browning 30-06. If you look at the directions for the reticle, it seems like they designed the reticle after the ballistics for the 30-06.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?con...rodTitle=Nitrex TR Two 3-15X42mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish Etched EBX Reticle

$240 after rebate for the etched EBX reticle and $200 for the regular plex reticle. Glass is awesome for the price, better than Nikon Monarch, comparable with Zeiss. Holds zero fine and good eye relief. Lifetime warranty! </div></div>

That does look good for the price. I'm looking for a new scope for my .30-06 hunting rifle and it is between this and a 3-15 Minox.

Like Mike said. Go with the 2-7 viper. Clear glass for the price, amazing warranty and customer service. Pick one up before there gone

Well I ordered the 4-20 Nitrex from Nathchez. We'll see how it turns out, after rebate it will only be 289.95. Potentially a good deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I ordered the 4-20 Nitrex from Nathchez. We'll see how it turns out, after rebate it will only be 289.95. Potentially a good deal. </div></div>
I believe those are rebadged weaver super slams. Should be a good scope at a great price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2brothers641</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I ordered the 4-20 Nitrex from Nathchez. We'll see how it turns out, after rebate it will only be 289.95. Potentially a good deal. </div></div>
I believe those are rebadged weaver super slams. Should be a good scope at a great price. </div></div>

I've read this same thing at a few different sources, but have no first hand experience with Weavers. At 1/2 the price of a bushnell elite though I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks for the tip on the Nitrex. I forgot about them.

For ultra cheap, Pentax Pioneer is unbeatable, if CameralandNY still has them for $100. Same as Burris Fulfield.

Used leupold VX-II can be had at that price. They have a lifetime warranty and I had no problem on the one I sent in even not being the original owner.

i'd run a buckmaster or monarch myself. they have a life time warranty and are pretty bright. heck i might save a little more and get a conquest 3-9x40. they are in the 380$ range right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dlxcupid,

I have the same TR2 scope as you but got the $200 trexplex reticle one and yep the glass is awesome...SF and turrets pretty good too. First time at private range with the scope had 5 guys I regularly shoot with sit down with rifle and evaluate the Nitrex. You'll find Leupolds, Nikons, Burris, Sightrons and etc. on their rifles. All had nothing but positive comments about scope. About a week after this a club member I'd never met sat at a bench near me with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-15x44 SF and I'll ask him to compare the Nitrex to his Zeiss. After several minutes with the Nitrex...guy basically told me it was very comparable in quality of glass and features of his Zeiss Conquest (a $850 scope) Should have seen the look on his face when I revealed its price. </div></div>

IMHO the Zeiss does have better feel on the turrets than the Nitrex. The clicks just feels more firm. If anything, the Zeiss glass might have a slight edge over the Nitrex but with the same specs, it's 3 times the price of the Nitrex. I like the idea of the capless turrets and zerostop on the Nitrex. Pretty easy to use and big knobs in case you've got gloves on. In Zeiss' defense, they do offer awesome warranty and they've built such a strong reputation. We'll see how this Nitrex holds up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I ordered the 4-20 Nitrex from Nathchez. We'll see how it turns out, after rebate it will only be 289.95. Potentially a good deal.</div></div>

Keep us posted and let us know what you think. I think you'll be impressed.

I am a big fan of the Monarchs - I've used several of them and have been very satisfied - primarily for short to mid range hunting shots.

I also have a 3-9x40 zeiss on my ar15 and the glass is very nice. Haven't had the chance to hunt with it yet, but it is very bright and very clear. Would rate it just a tad higher than the Monarchs I've used.

I wasn't really looking for a scope but I ended up ordering the Nitrex 3-15x42 from Nachez because of this thread. The iron was hot so...
It looks like a pretty good scope for the price. It will go on a 7 RM hunting rig. I'm not really interested in shooting beyond 500 yds at an animal and that EBX (?) reticle looked like a pretty good fit for me.
Thanks for the tip guys.

I've run Nikon Monarch's, but would reccomend a used Leupold VXII also.
It will weigh less, have a forever warranty, and better resale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jgillam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://swfa.com/Nikon-3-9x40-Monarch-UCC-Riflescope-P45664.aspx

think i'm gonna get this one, anyone have any input/feedback on it
</div></div>

I've owned one of these for several years, you won't be disappointed. I've hopped it around a couple of different rifles and am about to move it to a remmy I just bought at a bargin rate. I actually thought they stopped making this scope sometime last year, glad I am mistaken as $200 is a very good price for it. Just be sure it's new and not a referb, as the referb only have a 90 day warranty.

I personally thought the glass was more clear than a leupold mkIII I compared it to a couple of years ago before my catarac surgery. Post surgery everything looks clear. It's great at dawn/dust have shot quite a few racoons after hours with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How's the eyebox on the Nitrex? A few other reviews mentioned it was smallish. </div></div>

I just got mine today, I ordered the 4-20x50mm version.

The eye box is generous at 4x and then gets less so as the power increases and is a bit small at 20x. Overall I'm impressed with this scope considering after everything is said and done I will only have 289.95 into it. I hope I don't get flamed for this, but the glass seems just as good to me as the Nightforce NXS I used to have. The turrets aren't what I would want in a "tactical" scope but they are easy to adjust/lock and will be great for the application.

I just got my Nitrex 3-15x42 and I am impressed. I like the reticule better than what was available from Nikon and the clarity and eye relief are really nice at any price and especially for the price as listed at Nachez.
One thing that is missing is at what power you need to be at for the graduations in the reticule to be on the mark. It may be max power. I'll have to experiment.
It looks like what I was waiting for to top my hunting rig. Nikon, Vortex, Bushnell were all close but just not quite there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How's the eyebox on the Nitrex? A few other reviews mentioned it was smallish. </div></div>

I just got mine today, I ordered the 4-20x50mm version.

The eye box is generous at 4x and then gets less so as the power increases and is a bit small at 20x. Overall I'm impressed with this scope considering after everything is said and done I will only have 289.95 into it. I hope I don't get flamed for this, but the glass seems just as good to me as the Nightforce NXS I used to have. The turrets aren't what I would want in a "tactical" scope but they are easy to adjust/lock and will be great for the application. </div></div>

Falar, Understand your comment about Nitrex TR2 glass "seems just as good to me as the Nightforce NXS." Gent showed up at our shooting club last Sunday with an AR rifle in 308 with a U.S. Optics scope on it....guy told me scope cost him a little over $2K. I had opportunity to view downrange with it. Truely an impressive scope. However, after viewing thru the U.S. Optics scope I quickly returned to my bench and looked downrange with my Nitrex. LOL, if you think you are worried about getting flamed....there was nothing about the U.S. Optics glass that made me think the Nitrex glass was not top notch in quality when it comes to brightness and clarity.

I was not looking for a scope wehn I started to read this thread...BUT the Nitrex just might fit the bill on my 6mm build...

These Nitrex scopes are sounding interesting. Who sells them aside from Natchez? Are there other sites for comparison?

Nitrex scopes are made by weaver.

Look to SWFA and MidwayUSA