• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best hunting scope under $1200.00

Re: Best hunting scope under $1200.00

2 X 10 or 3 X 12. no more than 44mm, no lilumination needed, SFP, looking for under 600 yds.

VX-6 2-12 might be a good choice.

I ran a Zeiss Diavari FL 4-16x50 last season and will be running the VX-6 this season
I got a chance to test both side by side in low to no light several times.
Nice scope...

It would be nice if they offered a TMR reticle for it.
You may or may not like the reticle choices that come with it. They are offering a free CDS dial for it where you provide your load data to them.

On my Nosler 280AI
Nosler-280ai.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">VX-6 2-12 might be a good choice.</div></div>

As I stated in another topic, I just ordered one of the VX-6 2-12 x44 with ill. dot.
I should get it by the 5th.
Sportsmans Outfitters is selling 4 of 'em 20% off retail at FleaBay. Leupold Model 111979 Leupold on E-Bay
The pic is not of the actual illuminated model.

I like my Swaro Z3 with a BRX reticle. Gives me hold over and holdoff tree and os 10 to 12 oz lighter than any comparable "tactical" with a similar reticle.

I would definitaly look at a Vortex Viper PST which would keep it in your price range but still give you a tactical scope... Personally I hate going back and forth from great tactical style glass on some guns to low grade hunting scopes on my hunting rifles.

Another vote for the Leopold. Frankly, I believe the Vari-X III is the gold standard for hunting scopes. Maybe the 6 is worth the extra money, I don't have experience with it.

I'd prefer my Vari-X III 3-9 duplex over my Swaro z3 for hunting with a typical bolt-gun.

I have several setups that I hunt with-
Tikka 308 with Bushnell elite 2-16x42(i think).
m700 223 with SFP PST 6-24x50
Stiller 300wm with NXS 5.5-22x50 sold for (2) PST 6-24
m700 6.5x47 with weaver tactical 3-15x50
m700 243 with weaver tactical 3-15x50

If I could only grab 1 scope out of the bunch..... I'd probably get the 6500. Great power range for close-long shots as well as being just as bright as all others listed in lower light situations. (i base this on being a hunting scope, not a "tactical" scope.

USO ST-10. If you run out of ammo, just use it to club stuff to death (and it won't hurt the scope).

I'm currently trying to decide the same thing since Nightforce 2.5x10 is out of the budget for this rifle. I am thinking Leupold vari-x 3 or Viper pst, both are solid choices for a low power optic and I'm pretty sure I will end up with the Leupold since I already have a mount for it.

A friend has the zeiss conquest with the bdc reticle and I didn't care for how thick the bars were. It was a nice clear scope but it wasn't for me.

Nightforce 2.5-10 unless your doing long range hunting. But I don't assume thats the case in LA.

My favorite HUNTING rifle scopes are both Trijicon's. I have a 3-9x40 with mil dot reticle on my little 6.8 carbine, and a bigger 2.5-10x56 mildot on my Sako 260. I love the clarity, the simple, battery-less illumination, the mildot is there if I need it for hold over on a longer shot, but 95% of the time, I just put the barely glowing green dot in the kil zone and press the trigger.

I'm a big NightForce fan, and have 2 F1's, both on my "precision/LR" rifles. So naturally, I had to try a NF 2.5-10 for my hunting rifle. Well, clarity, durabilty and the zero stop knob was great, but the reticle was the problem for me. I had the mildot, and it was fine in bright light, but was too thin for low light, and when I switched on the illumation, even on the lowest setting, with the entire reticle glowing, it flared out the whole view. I tried and tried to love the scope( since I had spent big $$ on it, and it was after all, a kewl NF), but this scope just did not work for me on a hunting rifle.

Check out the Trijicon AccuPoint.....you will be pleased.

I like shooting my SWFA 5-20 and my NF on my target rifle, but for a hunting rifle most any "tactical" scope will at a <span style="text-decoration: underline">minimum</span> be a solid 6 to 8 oz heavier than a comparable hunting scope. My experience with that in the field is that weight is also not in the ideal position and makes the rifle feel nose heavy when trying to get into position out of a tree stand.

If you hunt out of a "shooting house" or from positions where getting good support isn't an issue then you may not mind it. I found that for hunting my rifle handles better with a lighter scope.

All that said, there is one tactical that I'm looking at for my new build and that is the Bushnell 3-12x44with a G2 reticle, but it is still 8 oz heavier than a Swaro with a BRX reticle. I need to make my mind up in the next couple of months but I think in the end I'll go with the lighter weight.

I'm going to take a lashing, but any Leupold MK4 will would be superior to anything else that has been mentioned here. Lightweight, durable, reliable, crystal clear glass etc....

Kahles 3x12x56 Great light gathering ability at dusk and dawn. The only drawback is the height of the scope, you will most likely have to use tall rings. If you can live with that, check it out.

I am going to throw in my 2 cents, I have a vortex viper pst on my hunting scope. It is much more scope than my father's vari x III. We did a side by side comparison late in the evening, and the vortex was a bit clearer. Not saying it was way clearer, but it cost me around $800 (if I remember correctly) which wdas a couple hundred cheaper than his leaupy. It also has more bling to it. Illuminated reticle, target knobs (not needed for hunting) and zero stope. The leupy had lot less. but that being said find the one you are comfortable with that you have LOOKED through and buy it. Hope you bag a good one with your new purchase.

I have looked through several vortex vipers including pst's - and - to my eyes - there is no contest in the glass between the vortex scopes and the new leupold vx-3s.

The Leupold glass is hands down better to my eyes.

As was said before - you can't go wrong with a Leupold for a hunting scope. I will also throw in the Zeiss Conquest for your consideration.

The heck with all the tactical/target knobs for a hunting scope.

If deer is your game in Louisiana, and if it's a lot like Georgia - you don't have time to dial your dope. Sometimes you have 3 seconds to identify target and shoot. There is no way I would want exposed turrets on a big game rifle scope for hunting in Georgia or the southeast for that matter.

Good luck with whatever you get, and I hope you have short blood trails to your game.

your in louisiana so does this include hogs/cats and other semi dangerous game? if so I'd definitely have a 2.5X at the low end or even down to 2X for walking in and out, also helpful if you have a poacher

So the nightforce suggestions pretty darn good. But personally I'd be thinking something with covered knobs like already mentioned, 2-10X would be good for me. But I love hunting with my 6.5 grendel its nice, with its 1.5-8 is good enough for me. can always do better, but that 1.5 is nice when shooting at a hog in brush.

what caliber how far of a shot are you capable of taking with what your using/for what your hunting? I don't believe in universal answers obviously.

If your running a .300 ultra mag and elk vs, 22-250 and hogs/deer in brush different stuff.

308, bolt action, zero to 400 yards max.
I was thinking of a 1.5 to 2 being the low end and 10 to 12 being the upper end.
Thanks for all the help and insight.

The glass on my 4-14X Zeiss Conquest is night and day better than my 4-16 Vortex Viper PST and any remotely similarly priced Leuopold I have looked through.

From my admittedly limited personal experience, the glass on the zeiss conquests is untouchable for the price. It doesnt have all the cool features of some scopes, but the glass is awesome, and that matters a lot, if you are hunting in a low light situation.

My favorite hunting scope is a Mueller Tac-II.

It is a rebadged sightron.

Awesome glass, good, clean reticle and capped turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308, bolt action, zero to 400 yards max.
I was thinking of a 1.5 to 2 being the low end and 10 to 12 being the upper end.
Thanks for all the help and insight. </div></div>

lots of good info that has been posted
I will stand by the 2-12 VX-6 recommendation
I hunt with a 1.5-6 S&B on my 6.8 and of course, it is outstanding.. having said that, I have compared it directly against the VX-6 in low to no light,and frankly, there isn't $1500 worth of difference between the two, and I LOVE the S&B.

There have been several guys that have reported they find the glass ever slightly better than the Conquest on SWFA's Opticstalk forum. I haven't made a direct compare but have against the Divari FL, S&B (both he 1.5-6 and 3-12x50 PMII) and my USO 3-17 as well as Mark 4s

If the reticle choices work for you, I don't think you would be disappointed with the glass quality

I also have a VX-6 1-6 for my 3 gun rig.

They aren't FFP tactical scopes, but they are very nice scopes and they have really stepped up their game for glass.

I dont know if there is any flex in that budget, but I was browsing the sample list recently and saw several Swarovski's in that ballpark. The Z6 series in the 1.7-10 and 2.5-10 have always drawn my eye when searching for hunting scopes.

I also can vouch for the VX-III as a pretty solid hunting scope, I have never had a complaint with any of mine. Also like to make mention of the Nikon Monarch series as a nice scope at an attractive price point. I am no lover of their BDC reticle, but they have other options available and the glass is great for the money. They make a 2.5-10 and a 3-12 that might fit your bill.

kahles kxi, 3.5-10x50 is awesome, you could also get into a swarovski z5 at that price. meopta also makes some really nice offerings

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking to get a new hunting scope. would like to keep it between 1K and 1200.00 your thoughts?
Thanks </div></div>

You will be very had pressed to go wrong with a 2.5X8X36 Leupold, no matter how many legs it's got. Reticle choices for all around use, get the mildot an set your 100yd zero at the very top were the thick an thin meet. Even a slow moving 175mk gets to 950 with a bottom hold an your ctr X is 635-640 depending.