• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best illuminated low light scope for $500 or less

Albuds

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2020
Atlanta
Would appreciate suggestions on the best illuminated scope for low light conditions with shots generally in the 100-150 yard range. Hunting deer and hogs with many opportunities right at dusk. Will be used with AR10
Thanks

This one, I talk from experience. I spent and logged in so many freaking hours night time hunting with it in the 2017-2018 season. I was able to see pretty good with only ambient light...

A used Athlon ares etr go for about$800 or so.... also viper gen 2 are online for $699 and higher

Also hunted with a buddies Vortex Crossfire tonight. First experience with illuminated reticle. When it got pretty dark found the red dot on lowest power washed out the entire field of view on red. Is this common or a function of the quality of the scope?
How about the Athlon Midas HMR?

w

This one, I talk from experience. I spent and logged in so many freaking hours night time hunting with it in the 2017-2018 season. I was able to see pretty good with only ambient light...

i have one of these. Definitely a great low light scope. Can see well past legal light deer hunting.

Also hunted with a buddies Vortex Crossfire tonight. First experience with illuminated reticle. When it got pretty dark found the red dot on lowest power washed out the entire field of view on red. Is this common or a function of the quality of the scope?
Its a Crossfire. Low quality.

Reactions: russkim04
i have one of these. Definitely a great low light scope. Can see well past legal light deer hunting.
I have one and it is a very good optic for the money. I nailed a buck at 100 yds Monday morning at first light in some pretty heavy timber I had no issue seeing the deer .

Reactions: stello1001
If you look around online a bit, you’d be able to find a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 for $500ish. Its a hard one to beat for that price, for an illuminated hunting scope for low light/ twilight use. Excellent glass and coatings. You could keep magnification limited to about 7 or 8 power to maximize the exit pupil, and it would be great for deer/hogs as far out as you want to be shooting at them. The illum system is sorted out on those very well, with fiber optic and tritium, so no need for batteries ever. There is now a battery version I believe in the accupower line as well. Triji makes excellent scopes over all. Glass, illum, and build quality are top notch in my book.

Thanks for all your input. One other question. For primarily short range hunting of under 150 yards should I be better off with a second focal plane scope?

All The scopes I have, save one scope that is for sale, are FFP. And out of all the scopes I have, the Weaver 3-15 is by far the least expensive, and it’s currently sitting on one of my two hunting rifles. It gathers decent light, got a decent reticle for hunting, and is illuminated. Is a Swarovski or a Leica Magnus a better choice for hunting, yeah sure is. But for less than 500, that scope is the best you could get IMHO. Otherwise I wouldn’t have it on mine.

All The scopes I have, save one scope that is for sale, are FFP. And out of all the scopes I have, the Weaver 3-15 is by far the least expensive, and it’s currently sitting on one of my two hunting rifles. It gathers decent light, got a decent reticle for hunting, and is illuminated. Is a Swarovski or a Leica Magnus a better choice for hunting, yeah sure is. But for less than 500, that scope is the best you could get IMHO. Otherwise I wouldn’t have it on mine.
Yup, good scopes for sure with kickass light gathering abilities. The only reason I don't have weaver tacticals anymore is because I upgraded to Bushnell LRTS/LRHS scopes and even like that I still kinda want the weavers back lol.

The fact that it's a FFP is not a problem, even at short ranges. Yes the reticle is small but in this particular scope, it has an illuminated reticle. You can turn up the illumination if you have trouble. But I personally never needed it, I took a buck at like 60 yards with it without a problem...

The Weaver tactical 3-15 for 499 is prob one of the best deals out there right now.

What does the parallax go down to on these? Also, who warranties these if there are any issues? May have to pick one of these up depending on the answers.

What does the parallax go down to on these? Also, who warranties these if there are any issues? May have to pick one of these up depending on the answers.

I don't recall on the parallax since I sold mine but I believe the knob had markings down to 35.

I called Bushnell to personally ask if they would take care of warranty on these. They assured me they would. If it was a part they could change out, they would. If they could not repair, they would replace, I would assume with some thing Bushnell branded.

Reactions: Rebels010
Thanks for the feedback on warranty, I thought Bushnell might cover these.

Can anyone else confirm what the parallax goes down to?

In my blind right now

F6758EBB-2BD5-4F2C-AD03-B86C56374F54.jpeg

Thanks for all the input.
I currently have a Vortex Optics Viper HS 2.5-10x44 Riflescope w/ Dead-Hold BDC Reticle on my AR10. Works great except in very low light conditions. Plan to move this to my Winchester .270wsm which is my backup gun.

So I'm looking for something in the 2.5-10 range with superior low light capability. Like the idea of an illuminated reticle.
I see options under $500 in 40,44 and 50 objectives. How important in the higher objective as I see conflicting comments about this?
Opitons I like currently are:
Meopta MeoPro 3.5-10x44RD-BDC2 $499

Athlon Midas HMR 2.5-15x50-BDC $440.99

Thoughts?

I picked up a cabelas Instinct (Meopta Meopro) 3-9x40 on sale a bass pro for 300 bucks. Its blows away my viper pst 4-16 in low light. Consistently hitting steel at 400 yards with my 308 AR.