• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best insurance that covers theft anywhere?

Dthomas3523

Account no longer active
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    Need about 50k to cover matches rifles and such.

Looking for insurance that will cover theft from vehicle, hotel room, etc.

Suggestions?

I've had a firearms policy through Collectibles Insurance for several years after researching on several different gun forums. Luckily I've never had to use it, but my interactions with the company for address changes and such have been easy and pleasant. They don't need an itemized list of your collection, but do suggest that you keep a list yourself in case you ever need to file a claim. Keeping a list is a good idea anyways, they cover accessories also so I have an itemized list with scopes, rings, bases, triggers, mags and any other parts that are attached to the guns or would be with them if they ever did get stolen.

https://collectinsure.com/what-we-insure/guns-knives-accessories

Reactions: Dthomas3523
    Just food for thought, the government and police departments can subpoena insurance companies to find out who owns what. It is not a gun registry, but they can turn it into one.

Bang

I went with Eastern insurance. If no item individually is over $10k then you do not need to itemize them, you can just have a total coverage. $50k should be under $250/year. I had also asked them if they covered full replacement costs on a suppressor that included not only the new suppressor but also the tax stamp. I was told in email that they do cover the stamp but just to be sure to include in valuations.

Now, I haven't had to claim anything under the policy so I can't give any feedback on actual performance there.

I went with Eastern insurance. If no item individually is over $10k then you do not need to itemize them, you can just have a total coverage. $50k should be under $250/year. I had also asked them if they covered full replacement costs on a suppressor that included not only the new suppressor but also the tax stamp. I was told in email that they do cover the stamp but just to be sure to include in valuations.

Now, I haven't had to claim anything under the policy so I can't give any feedback on actual performance there.

If I am not mistaken, Easter is the "Agent" and Hanover is the Insurance Carrier. Correct?

I use Collectibles, never had a claim. Would be covered from a hotel, match venue, etc. The other choice is Eastern. My research is a few years old now, but those were the only real choices then.

I've had $100k through Eastern Insurance for a few years now. Covers your shit anywhere, in the mail, at a gunsmith, in your house, etc. Even covers reloading items, optics, etc.

I pay $333/yr for the $100k "Unscheduled Blanket Coverage) with a $250 deductible. This reflects the NRA member discount. No need to give them an inventory or anything except for any single firearm over $10,000.

They do offer Scheduled Coverage but for $333/yr for $100k coverage I felt no need to explore that policy knowing I'll have to list and catalog everything.

I've had $100k through Eastern Insurance for a few years now. Covers your shit anywhere, in the mail, at a gunsmith, in your house, etc. Even covers reloading items, optics, etc.

I pay $333/yr for the $100k "Unscheduled Blanket Coverage) with a $250 deductible. This reflects the NRA member discount. No need to give them an inventory or anything except for any single firearm over $10,000.

They do offer Scheduled Coverage but for $333/yr for $100k coverage I felt no need to explore that policy knowing I'll have to list and catalog everything.

Is the rifle/optic/accessories considered one item or several?

NRA offers a few thousand for free if you fill out one of their forms. I know it's just a couple of AR's but it's free in addition to the Eastern coverage.

I have my guns insured through USAA I had a claim on a rifle that I sent to GAP to have rebarreled and FED-EX dropped. It literally looked like they dropped the box out of the airplane, it bent the tang on the action. I had a check for the full value that it was insured for in 5 days of the claim

I have my guns insured through USAA I had a claim on a rifle that I sent to GAP to have rebarreled and FED-EX dropped. It literally looked like they dropped the box out of the airplane, it bent the tang on the action. I had a check for the full value that it was insured for in 5 days of the claim
    I'm a big fan of USAA but their premiums for firearms coverage are very high in WA state. Probably would have added an extra 0 in the premiums I have with Eastern. IIRC, they said something about it would have been better if I had lived in Texas (or some other specific southern state) as they didn't have a limit on firearms coverage there. WA has a $10k limit and anything in excess requires high value (and high premium) coverage.

I use USAA as well, though they are pretty expensive. They are excellent with claims and customer service.

Scott

Been looking into this as well.
    It seems like getting some more feedback on if/how these policies work if they are needed would be something to consider as well.
    Anyone have any experiences with filing a claim and getting a payout from Eastern ?

I've had my coverage through Collectibles for a couple of years now since NRA told me their free insurance was no longer available (at least for new policies; can't speak to older, existing coverage).

I have found Collectibles to be very responsive to questions and changes and the price is quite reasonable compared to other companies I've used or queried. I've never filed a claim so cannot speak to that.

Just purchased Eastern Insurance 40k insurance for $150/yr. $100 deductible.

Very easy process and a live person answers the phone.

I asked for a quote from an insurance provider named here. I was ecstatic to hear the quote and went to cancel my policy with another provider listed here.

During discussion, I determined the “catch” with the policy. They required you to file a claim with homeowner or auto insurance first, before payout.

That can be significant depending on your home value and almost be the value of the lost firearm.

Ask questions guys!

I asked for a quote from an insurance provider named here. I was ecstatic to hear the quote and went to cancel my policy with another provider listed here.

During discussion, I determined the “catch” with the policy. They required you to file a claim with homeowner or auto insurance first, before payout.

That can be significant depending on your home value and almost be the value of the lost firearm.

Ask questions guys!

Which and which?

My state has a max of $2500 in firearms on homeowners ins. Covers the cost of one scope.

Time to start writing another check.

I never thought of insurance until my collection started growing,Thanks for the info on these insurance companies.

They probably won't pay, it might be better to make your own insurance policy, borrow some money then put it in savings and pay the payment just like you would pay your insurance payments. Then hopefully nothing happens and you have your money back in no time. I know it sounds dumb and is a gamble but... I not about giving my money away on the hope that they would actually pay if something happened. And if my vehicle insurance didn't cover theft I'd be shopping for a different insurance company.

They probably won't pay, it might be better to make your own insurance policy, borrow some money then put it in savings and pay the payment just like you would pay your insurance payments. Then hopefully nothing happens and you have your money back in no time. I know it sounds dumb and is a gamble but... I not about giving my money away on the hope that they would actually pay if something happened. And if my vehicle insurance didn't cover theft I'd be shopping for a different insurance company.

LOL.

It would take me about 40 years worth of premiums to amass the amount off the policy.

I’ll pay $150/yr with the “hope” they pay out.

Reactions: dzhitshard
    I don't think a lot of people understand how little your average insurance covers. Whether it is tools for work or guns for our hobby, you have very little coverage. Some will cover up to $2500 and that is it. For example, I spent $900 a year for coverage on my tools after I had a bunch stolen out of a truck I was running. I got lucky and the company paid for them to be replaced but most generally you are fucked.

Nope, and yours likely doesn’t either.

Most, if not all auto insurance policies don’t cover theft of personal property.

This is correct.

It’s a fun web of insurance that you’ll learn in most scenarios you’re just eating it.

Car gets broken into, a firearm or laptop is in car, usually that won’t be covered by auto insurance and expectation certain items are covered by home insurance.

Well, home insurance deductible will be noticeably higher than auto, so you could have anywhere from 2-6k deductible for home owners.

Most people don’t have more than 2-6k of personal property in their vehicle that could be stolen at any time... and if you did, you probably have a more expensive home driving up your deductible.

I’ve got separate policies associated with my home owners for firearms. I spend $$$$ annually, but I’ve had too many “chest pain” encounters that it’s worth it for me.

The whole thing is a total PITA. My homeowners will insure but they require all SNs and it isn't cheap. $75K coverage will cost $1000. Even then, you won't get a check necessarily. They have the option of replacing what you lost.

I asked my homeowners about Eastern before but they told me that it is a cheaper form of rider not a real insurance policy. That is how their costs are as low as possible.

I would just as soon get a rider from my homeowners but I can't as I won't release SNs to anyone as I have no clue what they do with that information.

How much was your State Farm add on?
    it's by the $1000, i think it's $300 for $50,000. No serial #'s as long as the value of any firearm is below $10,000 i believe. State Farm is easy to work with. I dealt with them for over 20 years as a contractor. They are a great company, thus why i use them for myself.

The whole thing is a total PITA. My homeowners will insure but they require all SNs and it isn't cheap. $75K coverage will cost $1000. Even then, you won't get a check necessarily. They have the option of replacing what you lost.

I asked my homeowners about Eastern before but they told me that it is a cheaper form of rider not a real insurance policy. That is how their costs are as low as possible.

I would just as soon get a rider from my homeowners but I can't as I won't release SNs to anyone as I have no clue what they do with that information.

Do u have to release it? or are u just required to keep it for yourself in case of theft or fire? Some u just have to keep a record for claims. Put it in a safety deposit box or something so u have proof. I have that and also pics just in case

My homeowners lists every firearm on a separate rider attached to your main policy.

Each firearm is listed by make/model/Description/SN and value. They do a physical inspection of the inventory at your property and take photos. You are also required to have a safe and an alarm service that monitors your property and who will call the police.

This being said, I know if I did it and had a theft, they would pay or replace without fuss. However, the intrusion simply isn't worth it to me.. I go back and forth regarding it all the time.

Something else that I think people don't realize -- especially these days, with direct-to-consumer online insurers like GEICO and Progressive -- is that insurance brokers exist, and that they do a lot more than just fill out the application for you.

Note that I'm talking about brokers, not agents. The difference is that agents are responsible to the insurance company they represent, while brokers can work with any insurance company because their primary responsibility is to you.

Anyone who's looking for insurance should at least talk to a broker. They don't charge you for their services, and you might save a ton of money and/or get way better coverage than you have now.

As far as I know, there are licensed brokers in every state, so it shouldn't be hard to find one. My broker is particularly awesome and is licensed in at least California and New York; if anyone wants his contact info, PM me.

The best insurance company in the world is USAA. Without a doubt, their is no one more ethical when it comes to protecting what’s important to you. If you want piece of mind and your former military, then go USAA.

it's by the $1000, i think it's $300 for $50,000. No serial #'s as long as the value of any firearm is below $10,000 i believe. State Farm is easy to work with. I dealt with them for over 20 years as a contractor. They are a great company, thus why i use them for myself.
    I use a rider with State Farm as well. I would have to look up how much it is. They did require serial numbers, value, and I think date of purchase and where. I'm not a fan of the serial number and a complete list, but I see how they would want a legitimate listing and specification.

I'm a big fan of USAA but their premiums for firearms coverage are very high in WA state. Probably would have added an extra 0 in the premiums I have with Eastern. IIRC, they said something about it would have been better if I had lived in Texas (or some other specific southern state) as they didn't have a limit on firearms coverage there. WA has a $10k limit and anything in excess requires high value (and high premium) coverage.

This is no shit a fact. I wanna say the limit is only $5k without paying more. I think reloading and other gear is still covered under the regular policy.

WA does have one good firearms law, safes and vaults used for firearms security are not taxed. Insurance won't do you any good here anyway, you're still responsible for what your thief uses the weapons for in most cases. Don't booby trap 'em or then you're on the hook for hurting your thief. Remember, treat your thief better than you expect to be treated.

A jewelry vault cannot be underestimated if you have very expensive items. I sleep better and I can go out of town and not worry the whole time. I know when I get back, worst case scenario is I'll find the exhausted burglars still trying to get in it.

And if you DID manage to breach it, chances are near 100% you'd destroy whatever is inside.

I still think of it as one of my better investments.