• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Best IR Illuminator for long range NV

saltedbutter

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2018
Wanting input on commercially available IR illumination for shooting with night vision at distance (500+). Ideally power greater than 30 mW with a beam that can be focused. Pic rail mounted and windage/elevation adjustment would be great. Insight LA-5 UHP would be the ticket if it wasn’t restricted. Thanks in advance.

you can buy an la-5 or any other high power laser. just look around if you wanna spend the money. the luna elir-3 is best commercial laser illum hands down. I know some will rave about the mawl and that's fine but its over $2k, still class 1 power and a non focusable beam fwiw

Thank you for the input. Have heard good things on the ELIR-3.

older model peq2's are great . Had 3 of them and I wish I kept one for a back-up . They have a 'Nice Clean' Strong illum. .
I like the 15's and the filter selection over the lasers 'point and pop' is a big plus+, and I rarely run the laser pointer hunting without the filter over . The 15's are a better design package but the older peqa's seemed cleaner projection of illum. over the 15's

people rave over the old Atilla 200's and the power . I had one for long time and really never grew on me, ended up giving to one of my buddies for a backup . High Power of Laser and illum. is over rated for average hunting and big power like Attila a little much .

you can buy an la-5 or any other high power laser. just look around if you wanna spend the money. the luna elir-3 is best commercial laser illum hands down. I know some will rave about the mawl and that's fine but its over $2k, still class 1 power and a non focusable beam fwiw
Is not the elir-3 classified as Class 1 power with all the safety stickers, etc on the unit?

PEQ2A is the titties and it's a good deal, but I guess it ain't for everyone.

Vic at TNVC won't blow smoke up your ass either, so if you want a warranted class 1 unit then call him and tell him what you got to work with.

And yes, the MAWL is in a league of it's own. You can call Vic if you want the specifics, he can explain it better than me, but price is part due to the enormous cost of getting it tested independently vs. slapping a general .7mW limit on it. Basically if the unit is eyesafe at the given intended distance, they don't really care how you do it. BE Meyers just employed a bit of trig and a lot of money to make this happen. Plus they don't build junk, they're a top end gear mfg. and you get what you pay for. FWIW, never heard anyone who owns a MAWL bitch about it, even guys who already have PEQ2's and such. Now I don't know what they were doing with it or how it'll stack up for illumination, again, that's a better question for Vic.

But you don't need an IZLID or a high output PEQ in order to illuminate up to and past 1k.

How far could you realistically ID targets with a white phosphor PVS30 and the civi MAWL?

How far could you realistically ID targets with a white phosphor PVS30 and the civi MAWL?
What type of target? Human beings, facial, vehicle, or critter? Also depends what day scope you're using which also makes some huge differences....

older model peq2's are great . Had 3 of them and I wish I kept one for a back-up . They have a 'Nice Clean' Strong illum. .
I like the 15's and the filter selection over the lasers 'point and pop' is a big plus+, and I rarely run the laser pointer hunting without the filter over . The 15's are a better design package but the older peqa's seemed cleaner projection of illum. over the 15's

people rave over the old Atilla 200's and the power . I had one for long time and really never grew on me, ended up giving to one of my buddies for a backup . High Power of Laser and illum. is over rated for average hunting and big power like Attila a little much .
Hmmm, the Atilla was and is my favorite of all time. The biggest advantage over so many lasers except for the new RAID and some new lasers in small circles is the variable power adjustments. I think to this day the power up and down rubber arrows of the ATILLA are fantastic except if wearing bigger gloves in cold weather. My nomex gloves work well. So the big power of the Atilla was easily tamed to what ones mission required.

Just my humble opinion still ownimg several ATILLA's vs. some of the newest stuff I've been working with...I still come back to the Atilla. I also still think the Lum size adj. on the Atilla is also a feature that still leads the way. ITT really had their thinking caps on when they first developed these.

I will add about the Atilla, the remote press switch is terrible. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Last edited:
What type of target? Human beings, facial, vehicle, or critter? Also depends what day scope you're using which also makes some huge differences....

Full size IPSC painted white, or hogs. Since it’s what I currently have, let’s say a 3-18 Razor Gen II. TIA

perst series has the strongest illuminator, 500mW + avail for civilian purchase

Hmmm, the Atilla was and is my favorite of all time. The biggest advantage over so many lasers except for the new RAID and some new lasers in small circles is the variable power adjustments. I think to this day the power up and down rubber arrows of the ATILLA are fantastic except if wearing bigger gloves in cold weather. My nomex gloves work well. So the big power of the Atilla was easily tamed to what ones mission required.

Just my humble opinion still ownimg several ATILLA's vs. some of the newest stuff I've been working with...I still come back to the Atilla. I also still think the Lum size adj. on the Atilla is also a feature that still leads the way. ITT really had their thinking caps on when they first developed these.

I will add about the Atilla, the remote press switch is terrible. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Yes, Atilla is the titties and I still kick myself for missing out on the rare chance to score one of those bad boys. Nothing like 0-200mW adj. power for both laser and illum.! Thing is as weak as a PAC4 and as powerful as an IZLID! They still pop up from time to time but not too often.

If the tape switch is shit, I just rewire it, I don't live with it. BTW, that dual switch you guys sell is the best damn dual switch out there IMO. Thanks for making one that works w/all mounts and is well thought out. Anyway, if you can solder and rewire a LEMO connector for an IZLID, you can rewire anything. IZLID was another with a crappy switch IMO.

ITT and thinking caps... Funny you said that. In 2004 my unit deployed with ITT PVS14's and the damn J arm kept breaking. To the point they'd exhausted the supply plus the entire amount scheduled for the next year --so there were no more. They were using duct tape. I was stuck at home like the nerd in "Nerds 2: Nerds in Paradise" where my buddy is calling me for help from Iraq and I'm stuck here. I call ITT and talk to an engineer to see what I could scrounge up, figuring I could beg for a box of 'em, but the guy I talked to said he NEVER once had been told there was a problem with the J arms. I gave him a very complete picture and some forwarded emails from Iraq and he changed the material used to make 'em so they'd bend before breaking. They used to be designed to break so it wouldn't damage the 14 but I told him we almost never damaged those anyway. New ones were sent to me and then I had to figure out how to get around the State Dept. in order to get restricted items into Iraq (no laws were broken for you bottom feeders looking for a mark, they went out in the unit mail). So you're welcome all. Funny, not one soldier took it upon himself to call ITT, just not in the nature of a soldier I guess.

Never thought to call 'em about the lasers though and beg for adj. dials!

Be able to hammer those plates with the right magnification 500 yards and being conservative. Happy Independence Day!

Thank you!

I guess there’s no sure fire formula to ID and engage different targets out to about 1,000. Clouds, moonlight, humidity, quality of day scope, etc.

Thank you!

I guess there’s no sure fire formula to ID and engage different targets out to about 1,000. Clouds, moonlight, humidity, quality of day scope, etc.

It's very different shooting at night with an NVD vs. day shooting precision where range estimation is so much easier along with ID. There is only so much resolution you can get out of NV. High mag day scope with clip-ons also require a great FOM tube along with gobs of IR lum for that good long range precision IMHO. Of course users mileage can vary. :)

Reactions: JC0352
I use the UNV 20IR LED infrared illuminator. The 20IR features an 850nm beam of intense infrared light through a focusable aspheric head and a dimmable 1050mw power level. This thing is like putting a spotlight on my gun
I have had no issues from anything seeing it or spooking from it.

I also have a couple of different lower level IR lights for my PVS 14.

Yes, Atilla is the titties and I still kick myself for missing out on the rare chance to score one of those bad boys. Nothing like 0-200mW adj. power for both laser and illum.! Thing is as weak as a PAC4 and as powerful as an IZLID! They still pop up from time to time but not too often.

If the tape switch is shit, I just rewire it, I don't live with it. BTW, that dual switch you guys sell is the best damn dual switch out there IMO. Thanks for making one that works w/all mounts and is well thought out. Anyway, if you can solder and rewire a LEMO connector for an IZLID, you can rewire anything. IZLID was another with a crappy switch IMO.

ITT and thinking caps... Funny you said that. In 2004 my unit deployed with ITT PVS14's and the damn J arm kept breaking. To the point they'd exhausted the supply plus the entire amount scheduled for the next year --so there were no more. They were using duct tape. I was stuck at home like the nerd in "Nerds 2: Nerds in Paradise" where my buddy is calling me for help from Iraq and I'm stuck here. I call ITT and talk to an engineer to see what I could scrounge up, figuring I could beg for a box of 'em, but the guy I talked to said he NEVER once had been told there was a problem with the J arms. I gave him a very complete picture and some forwarded emails from Iraq and he changed the material used to make 'em so they'd bend before breaking. They used to be designed to break so it wouldn't damage the 14 but I told him we almost never damaged those anyway. New ones were sent to me and then I had to figure out how to get around the State Dept. in order to get restricted items into Iraq (no laws were broken for you bottom feeders looking for a mark, they went out in the unit mail). So you're welcome all. Funny, not one soldier took it upon himself to call ITT, just not in the nature of a soldier I guess.

Never thought to call 'em about the lasers though and beg for adj. dials!
Your concern for the team is what sets U.S. apart from the rest of the rat race. God Bless the U.S.

Reactions: ohnomrbillk
If you can find an ATILLA, it is the tits. An ATILLA, high FOM PVS-30, and quality day scope make for an awesome night package.

my ATTILLA must be a piece of shit then because every laser illum unit ive had including the luna elir-3 smokes it. wonder if mine has a weak diode or something .

I love this site. I was looking for an illuminator to mount to my AI AT, but most of them are designed to wrap around a quad rail of an AR (MAWL, some PEQ's etc) and here comes the FIR-I. Perfect! Now I don't have to worry about spacing issues with my low profile rail.

Do you have either the black paddle switch or black remote switch installed? With either the blue switch or no switch at all the unit defaults to eye safe mode. You must have one of the black switches installed to be able to adjust the power above eye safe.

An ATILLA on full is much brighter than a luna. Early Luna were 90mw I think and now they are 70-ish. An ATILLA on full power has a 150mw illuminator and 50mw pointer.

my ATTILLA must be a piece of shit then because every laser illum unit ive had including the luna elir-3 smokes it. wonder if mine has a weak diode or something .

I used an Attila in Iraq and absolutely loved it!! If only I could find one for sale these days!!

Reactions: TheHorta
I used an Attila in Iraq and absolutely loved it!! If only I could find one for sale these days!!

They’re out there.

The USAF sent a bunch back to the manufacturer / distributor some years back, or maybe they were ordered and canceled, or something like that (it’s been a few years). They have release papers and were offered out to a few peeps for commercial resale to US State agencies, trainers, etc. A number wound up in .CIV hands as a result and they’re 100% legit. Obviously no warranty / support, but they aren’t subject to seizure.

Last edited:
Reactions: stefan73

This might help scratch the itch

Not shitting you, this is the brightest, cleanest illuminator I have ever seen. You have to get a funky mount to adjust elevation and windage, but if you do it seriously kicks ass. Brighter than an Atilla or anything else I have used. It's like when the Brits say 500mw, they mean 500mw. It is in no way tactical or mil spec or anything.

Whatchu need an illuminator for when you use a UTC-Xii?

I have heard that the MAWL C1+ will reach out to about 600m on a dark night if you really really really want to push it.

If you want to go further, the Arisaka/Malkoff 750mw 5* cone light might get it done. I don't know about that, but they say it's fairly beast. From their site:
The EX IR Scout head outputs light in the 850nm infrared spectrum. It has a very focused beam with minimal spill, making for an excellent infrared illuminator which easily surpasses the performance of any civilian powered IR laser/illuminator. It also supports a wide voltage range which allows it to be powered off of one CR123, two CR123, or 16650 rechargeable cells.

The heads have a 5 degree beam angle, so the 250mW output version produces a beam that is similar in intensity to the MAWL C1+ long range setting, but covers approximately twice the area. This makes for a very usable illuminator from close range to several hundred meters, without being too powerful as to wash out your laser pointer or cause your image intensifier to bloom or gate down.

The 750mW output version is for much longer range, and depending on the image intensifier, can illuminate objects well past 600 meters, and is bright enough to produce reflections off of bullets as they travel down range. It exceeds PEQ-15 high output at equivalent illuminator focus.

To play Obi Wan. Seriously it goes out like 3 miles.

Perst 2 /thread comrades

Perst 3 if you only need like five miles.

PS haven’t used one but the deuce spec wise is a scary piece of kit. Perst 4 is a monster too but no illuminator. Do have one of those. It plus a Luna ain’t no bish either. Just sayin.

Last edited:
Full size IPSC painted white, or hogs. Since it’s what I currently have, let’s say a 3-18 Razor Gen II. TIA

You may not even need an illuminator for that depending on the quality of the clip on. I got lucky with a pvs27 and had no issues seeing at 860 without illumination or moonlight across a lake since there was some light spilling from a few small house lights about 50 yards away. Granted, if a target had been set back in the trees, IR would be helpful.

Depending on conditions, 300-500 yards with a good clip on likely wont require IR.

Photo is at 10x zoom.

I also add a vote for the Perst 3. I have been able to Illuminate targets at 1400+ yards. Quality of the IR throw is similar to a PEQ15.

Attachments

• B9384D7F-A522-470E-8795-3C9256F9ECBF.jpeg
    B9384D7F-A522-470E-8795-3C9256F9ECBF.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 133
Perst 2 /thread comrades

Perst 3 if you only need like five miles.

PS haven’t used one but the deuce spec wise is a scary piece of kit. Perst 4 is a monster too but no illuminator. Do have one of those. It plus a Luna ain’t no bish either. Just sayin.
I have all of these plus other very hi power laser illums. I stand by the Solaris being the best as far as pure illum goes. The perst is v. good too for raw power.