• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best lightweight bolt guns for the money?

johnstonblake

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2010
Texas
i'm in the market for a lightweight mountain-type bolt gun, something that will be used only for hunting, capable of making long range shots if needed. as far as calibers, i'm kinda open, but it will be a mid caliber gun (6.5-7mm rounds, kinda in the area of a 280). any suggestions on what to look at that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

the 700 mountain rifle looks like a possibility.

Re: best lightweight bolt guns for the money?

Tikka t3lite in any caliber you want . Great lite gun for the money IMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rgvt4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tikka t3lite in any caliber you want . Great lite gun for the money IMO</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Rem model 7.</div></div>
yes, and yes. Also, if $1600 is within your budget, the Sako Finnlight is also an excellent choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pal O' Mine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the Tikka T3 Lite</div></div> Another vote for the Tika T3, I bought one in a .270 for deer hunting and love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Rem model 7. </div></div>

this would be my vote but only being a short action would limit your caliber choices. 260,7-08 and 308 are the largest available fit. that is unless you want a saum or ive even seen a 300wsw in a model 7.

My personal favorite is the Remington Model 7. My older one in .308 with iron sights and rarely a scope is my "go to" gun and probably my most-used bolt gun. I don't think that the relatively limited caliber selection hinders it. There's not a lot that you can't accomplish with .260, .308, .243, 7mm-08, or the short-action magnum calibers.

With that said, Howa makes an impressive product at a pretty low price point. If I were buying a new gun that would be used and abused, I would look seriously at a Howa.

Tikka. Smoothest action, super accurate, fantastic adjustable trigger and detachable bottom metal. Why go with anything else?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlakeJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'm in the market for a lightweight mountain-type bolt gun, something that will be used only for hunting, capable of making long range shots if needed. as far as calibers, i'm kinda open, but it will be a mid caliber gun (6.5-7mm rounds, kinda in the area of a 280). any suggestions on what to look at that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

the 700 mountain rifle looks like a possibility. </div></div>

Remington twists/throats their 7-08's very nicely. I'd go a S/S 700 MR and dump it into a Ti takeoff handle. Seven's wear shit handles and a good LW replacement is tough to score,for OEM Ti loot(mine are all in McMillan).

Montana for the win.

Remington 700 Mountain SS baby!!!

Will the T3 lite feed out of a magazine without any modifications? (Removing a bottom plate I'd guess?)

For the money, Tikka. Otherwise, Christensen Arms makes some badass lightweight rigs but they're spendy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rgvt4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tikka t3lite in any caliber you want . Great lite gun for the money IMO </div></div>

could`nt agree more.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rgvt4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tikka t3lite in any caliber you want . Great lite gun for the money IMO </div></div>

could`nt agree more.......</div></div>

Yep!

Tikka is funny and that's for certain,but Christensen is admittedly funnier.

Turd Polishers do think Tikka's are something and that sort of inherent humor is tough to top.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned a tikka t3!?!
grin.gif
Also, look at a Sako finnlite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twist Fast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tikka is funny and that's for certain,but Christensen is admittedly funnier.

Turd Polishers do think Tikka's are something and that sort of inherent humor is tough to top. </div></div>

What's your choice?

Here is what I did.

Tikka T3 Lite stainless in .308.

Cut the barrel back to an even 20"s
Talley Lightweight rings
Nightforce 2.5-10x24 NPR-2
VTAC sling
Dope card taped to side

001-10.jpg

PracticalTikka003.jpg

T3Lite308.jpg

It managed to fill the sled with elk last December with a single well placed round.

From ground squirrels to elk it has proven to be a stellar performer. I have numerous other rifles that have been gathering dust since I put this one together. It is so much nicer to carry and is so "Typical Tikka" accurate, that the other rifles sit neglected.

A bunch of 5 round varmint model mags and a guy can have a good time shooting coyotes, rockchucks, ground squirrels, jackrabbits, whatever.

It was my idea of an all around "practical rifle" and the more I use it, the more I don't want to hunt with any other sporter weight gun.

It is my pick for "best for the money".

I'm gunna talk myself into a tikka T3 yet..

I have an issue of Shooting Times, comparing bolt action rifles under $500. They had the Marlin X7, Mossberg 100 ATR, Remington 770, Savage Axis, Thompson Center Venture, and a Weatherby Vanguard. To be honest, I'm not a fan of most of these rifles, but the Thompson Center scored the best out of all of them. I've heard many people say great things about T/C's, though I've never owned one.

As far as caliber goes, you said you were looking into the 6.5 - 7mm range. If it were me, I'd reccomend something in 7mm. I love my 260, it is an unbelievably accurate rifle, but jumping into the 7mm caliber will give you BC's as good as most 6.5's with more weight (168gr and up with 7mm, vs 142gr 6.5). Pushing 170grain+ pills, I would say a 7mm Remington Mag would be my choice. Although the .284 Winchester is probably just as good. 7mm-08 is an awesome round too, but for my taste, the Magnum case has all the ass you would ever need to push the 7mm as far, or fast, or as heavy as you would ever need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twist Fast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tikka is funny and that's for certain,but Christensen is admittedly funnier.

Turd Polishers do think Tikka's are something and that sort of inherent humor is tough to top. </div></div>

A very well respected machinist on this particular site, who happens to have 20+ years of machining experience, said in today's market, Tikka destroys the other factory offerings in terms of machining quality. He deals with every different type of action/barrel you could imagine. Seeing the work he did to my personal rifle, and to many of the other folks on this site, I think his opinion says something.

The last thing that interests me,is a good "deal" on a piece of shit. Turd Polishers dote on Tikka and if it cheers you up,Sarah Brady has 20+ years experience in Politics.

Rest assured,you impress far easier than I.

What ammo,scope,base and rings?

700 308's famously wear Linda Lovelace throats,yet routinely shoot far better than they should.

'JEW,

As straight up Killing Rifles go,the Montana 7WSM has no equal..let alone peer. Their 3" box annd throat in conjunction,steals the show. I've a few.

2R8G3521.jpg

IMG_8112.jpg

As a Utility Fun Rifle,the Montana 223 is a tough act to follow and of course better yet,when punched 223AI.

Rocktuckybreakin.jpg

DAD_9732.jpg

A 1st Generation Ti 7-08,is an amazingly capable machine. Though shirking the J-lock,goes without saying.

HardKnocksSchoolA.jpg

SeptAlpine07A.jpg

Easy to slam a FauxTi together.

SissyPaint.jpg

NovemberRuttwoA.jpg

Light done right,is tough to whoop and Tikka ain't the answer.

FlyweightTrifecta.jpg

A 7SAUM Seven ain't horrid,though their OEM handles suck.

RutSHAMU.jpg

You get the drift.

For the money Tikka Lite is hard to beat. I have rifles made by Remington, Ruger, Browning, Springfield, Kimber, T/C, and TIkka. Some of them have beautiful wood, and great triggers, and are accurate but Tikka has a great trigger, detachable plastic magazine, a slick action and they plain shoot. Both my 308 and 6.5 Swede are very accurate. Are they pretty? NO, are they functional, yes.

You probably dry hump milk jugs too.

Hold the fluff and pass the good stuff.

Diversity is the spice of Life and Turd Polishin' Milk Jug Safe Queens,sure as shit ain't for me.

DAD_4056.jpg

You by chance photo shop the color on some of those horns?? One of those sets of horns doesn't even look like horns

There are no horns pictured in this thread. Anywhere.

The Tikka T3 is great for the money.

I have never hunt-fished in my life, always separate the two.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You by chance photo shop the color on some of those horns?? One of those sets of horns doesn't even look like horns </div></div>

RTK,

You poor bumbling clueless Boob,that is an epic formulation!

The best way to "PhotoShop" stuff,is to simply be there...thus your uncanny "insight".

Very few could be stumped Alnus Rubra and rest assured the pun be intended...though of course someone will have to explain it to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are no horns pictured in this thread. Anywhere. </div></div>

Antlers stump many,but poor dumb RTK was doing her best,with what she's got to work with. Cut her some slack,because Pretend is "real" to her.

'bravo,

A right proper Cast & Blast is indeed tough to whoop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanScott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are no horns pictured in this thread. Anywhere. </div></div>

Is that what all those Deer Management signs mean? Darn I shoulda let my 5yo shoot that 6point