• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best load for 22-250 for coyotes

Coyoteman

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
I’m wanting a new load for coyotes just seeing if someone had some good loads?

What are you currently using.

My 22-250 load uses the Sierra 55 gr Blitzking. I don't know if this bullet would tear up the hide too bad.

Yep, that should work. Now you just need to work up, and figure how much powder you need.

Yep, that should work. Now you just need to work up, and figure how much powder you need.
I’m really interested in a little heavier bullet, just wanting to see what loads have worked well for other people so I have some options

Most factory 22-250's have a slow rifling rate. If yours is 1:12 or 1:14, stick with the ~50gr bullets.

I am using Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tip Varmint bullets loaded to 3500fps. It is a brutal load with next to no pelt damage. Here is a pic of 52 of them.
20191125_154208.jpg

I used to load Barnes 55 Gr projectile to shoot deer or Varmints. My 26” bbl Rem chronograph at 3810 under dime groups. I’ve measured 42” s penetration thru a deer long ways. Only recovered 2 in years both were over 53 grains. Need a very clean bore and use their data on a 1 in 14 twist.

As others talk about, twist rate on most factory 22-250's has been very slow... Yes, normally 1-14, or, at best 1-12... My personal 22-250, Remington 700, is 1-14. I've had decent luck with 55 Hornady V-Maxes. Other than a few exceptions, there aren't a lot of heavier "Varmint/Predator" bullets out there..... For longer ranges, & in windy conditions, a fast twist barrel with a heavier "Varmint Type" bullet would be great!

I used to load Barnes 55 Gr projectile to shoot deer or Varmints. My 26” bbl Rem chronograph at 3810 under dime groups. I’ve measured 42” s penetration thru a deer long ways. Only recovered 2 in years both were over 53 grains. Need a very clean bore and use their data on a 1 in 14 twist.
What powder were you using?

As others talk about, twist rate on most factory 22-250's has been very slow... Yes, normally 1-14, or, at best 1-12... My personal 22-250, Remington 700, is 1-14. I've had decent luck with 55 Hornady V-Maxes. Other than a few exceptions, there aren't a lot of heavier "Varmint/Predator" bullets out there..... For longer ranges, & in windy conditions, a fast twist barrel with a heavier "Varmint Type" bullet would be great!
I’m sure mine is the same as it’s an older rem 700 also

V-maxes when driven hard may blow up on the surface of a coyote, and they may run off with a nasty wound. For coyote hunting, I used , (when I had a couple 22-250's), 50 and 55 grain nosler ballistic tips. IIRC the 50's were doing 3800 and the 55's 35-3600, both moly coated. I used varget. The nosler bullet design was , with the solid base, such that the bases drove through and the front shedded some weight. This was 10 years ago, 14 twists. You might be able get 60 grain ballistic tips to stabilize...

V-maxes when driven hard may blow up on the surface of a coyote, and they may run off with a nasty wound. For coyote hunting, I used , (when I had a couple 22-250's), 50 and 55 grain nosler ballistic tips. IIRC the 50's were doing 3800 and the 55's 35-3600, both moly coated. I used varget. The nosler bullet design was , with the solid base, such that the bases drove through and the front shedded some weight. This was 10 years ago, 14 twists. You might be able get 60 grain ballistic tips to stabilize...
Good info thank you

Loaded a batch of Hornady 55gr Soft Points ($6.99 a hundred, whats not to like) over 4895 for a buddy of mine. Really good accuracy out of his 788 and they just flat hammer coyotes. He has had several one shot kills in the 400 yd range. He told me not real fur friendly, but they don't run either. My Savage likes CFE223 with the same bullets. No coyotes for me to report on with it yet. I always end up with a different gun.

Reactions: Don Dial
Loaded a batch of Hornady 55gr Soft Points ($6.99 a hundred, whats not to like) over 4895 for a buddy of mine. Really good accuracy out of his 788 and they just flat hammer coyotes. He has had several one shot kills in the 400 yd range. He told me not real fur friendly, but they don't run either. My Savage likes CFE223 with the same bullets. No coyotes for me to report on with it yet. I always end up with a different gun.
I always like the soft points, I felt they had best penetration I shot them out of 243 on coyotes and they would lay em Down

I have shot a 50 grain vmax at 3400 FPS at the muzzle through a 3/8” steel plate. I do not think they would blow up on the exterior of a Coyote.

Reactions: Coyoteman
50gr Blitzkings with 41gr H380. They flat shoot out of my M7 Predator. Killed a bunch of dogs last year with it, and a bunch of crows. Usually the crows are in 2 different pieces.

Reactions: Coyoteman