• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best long distance rifle?

Re: Best long distance rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/faq_hunt_instructor.htm
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
# Suppressed (silencers) Firearms: Is it legal to hunt with a suppressed firearm?

That depends. The short answer is Yes…..if the hunter possesses a class III federal firearms license to own such devices. The use of a suppressed firearm (silencers) for hunting is illegal for anyone that does not possess such a federal license.

Wisconsin law does not prohibit the use of a class three suppressed weapon for hunting. Federal Law controls the legal possession and use of a class three suppressed weapon. The individual and weapon must have proper verification and certification of compliance from the Department of the Treasury, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. If the individual complies with all requirements of Wisconsin law, Wisconsin hunting regulations and Federal Law he may hunt with a class three suppressed weapon.
</div></div>Just to note, I wouldn't use a 338 in WI, at least where I hunt, not enough long-range opportunities to make it worthwhile. Line of sight is never more than a couple hundred yards, more likely to see one creeping or crashing through the brush 20 yards away than get a shot over 250 yards. </div></div>. Scuze me, just what is a class three license???all you need to do is pay the $200.00 and get your anal cavity checked by the batf+e to posses a silencer and once again. yes it is lea gal to hunt with a can. TMK 07ffl/ 02 sot..PS: Where is this elusive "class 3"? I agree w/part about the.338.(In Wi.)

I would guess it has to be the caliber and the manufacturer that you like most . some that may be an AWM others a full custom. there are a lot of cals to pick from at this range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GLENNERS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used and still own a SAKO 300 win mag, I use a leopold VX10 scope and hornaby 170 grain rounds. I like the 180 for 600 yards and closer. The 165 or 170 hornaby rounds are good for shooting flat distance, at 12 years old I used this weapon and a similar round and shot a 12 point buck on a dead run at 857 yards just to give you an idea. </div></div>

12 tears old and not only a Buck at 857 YDS,but at a dead run no less!!!

I just bought a Howa .300 win mag with a knoxx axiom stock a couple months ago. Any suggestions on a good scope for it? I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money for one. I just want a good reliable scope for the rifle and if you have any suggestions on what else I should do with the rifle like helping get the recoil down would be great info also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: janylor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a Howa .300 win mag with a knoxx axiom stock a couple months ago. Any suggestions on a good scope for it? I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money for one. I just want a good reliable scope for the rifle and if you have any suggestions on what else I should do with the rifle like helping get the recoil down would be great info also. </div></div>

Try a mil/mil super sniper. Burris and Bushnell both make "tactical" scopes at a fair price. They are cheaper than a Leupold MK4, Nigh Force or US Optic. That stock should keep the recoil under control for you. I just have a muzzle brake on my .300 and hit recoils less than my .308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vwhugger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Zak Smith:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> Yes.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/faq_hunt_instructor.htm
# Suppressed (silencers) Firearms: Is it legal to hunt with a suppressed firearm?

That depends. The short answer is Yes…..if the hunter possesses a class III federal firearms license to own such devices. The use of a suppressed firearm (silencers) for hunting is illegal for anyone that does not possess such a federal license.

Wisconsin law does not prohibit the use of a class three suppressed weapon for hunting. Federal Law controls the legal possession and use of a class three suppressed weapon. The individual and weapon must have proper verification and certification of compliance from the Department of the Treasury, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. If the individual complies with all requirements of Wisconsin law, Wisconsin hunting regulations and Federal Law he may hunt with a class three suppressed weapon.
</span></div></div>Well I guess that answers it quite well.

I won't call the warden after all. I haven't met him personally yet and he just might take a question like that the wrong way.

As for long range hunting rifles, I have a M700 in 8mm mag but it kicks too much for my liking. I plan on having another one built in the same caliber, hopefully from GA. I pretty much have all the parts except for the barrel. The end product should be considerably heavier but I'll have the barrel set up for a brake if I decide I need it. Depending on my tax situation, I may get started on it after the first of the year. </div></div>

There's no such thing as a "class 3 license," so I wonder what that even means, and if the statute is written that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Curtis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A true hunting gun should be of a caliber that you can walk in to any sporting goods store and buy ammunition. That way when you drive 2 days to get to the hunt just to find the ammo you packed didn't make it in the truck the whole hunt isn't ruined.
I actually read that in some old hunting magazines that were going off on all the wildcat calibers being thrown out there. No sporting good store will have 338 lapua magnum, but they will have 300 winchester mag.
A big heavy long range gun and a nice lite hunt all day gun basically require 2 guns. Combining the two will make it less than the best for either sport. I agree with chucky. You will need to hunt from the truck. </div></div>

hunt from the truck? is this sissy hide or snipers hide? dont forget your ammo and lace panties.
Just kidding
grin.gif

never fun to carry a heavy rifle too long.

I use a 338AX 300SMK at approx 2900FPS out of a 26 barrel. The thing works great for squirrel hunting!!lol My TAC 50 will work better because you can just shoot the tree...tree falls down...kills squirrel with no loss if meat!!!lol

The Kirby rifles seem to be a awesome piece of equipment along with the Edge and several others.

Seriously, does anyone know where you can buy match grade ammo similar to the Mk 248 Mod 1 for our 300 win Mags (220 gr sierra bthp)? Any favorite barrels or twist rates?

On ethics.

I think we can all agree that any ethical hunter cringes at the thought of someone taking an unethical shot. To me a shot on an animal at a dead run, shooting through brush, or shooting even at 200yds when a guys rifle groups 6" at 100yds is unethical. Like Shawn Carlock so eloquently put it "you're either taking a high percentage shot or your not". Occasional bad shots happen, look at archery. I think what we are all afraid of is the idea of a person who has no business shooting at those ranges buying a rifle and thinking he can shoot a buck at 1300yds because he has a '1300yd rifle'. But to me this is no different than anybody else shooting beyond his/her limitations. So what do we do? Take his rifle away for fear he may use it at 1300yds? At least he is asking what it takes to make that shot. In the end we can only hope that he uses that tool wisely but it is still his choice as it should be.

I came across a man hunting who was in his 60's. He shot a buck at 8am in a canyon he could barely hike to. The dear sat there in the sun until 4:30pm when i came across him. He shot 4 times at this buck from 500yds until he finally hit it in the back. They tried to use a chainsaw come along to drag it 200ft at a time over 2 miles up and out. It was getting dark. I de-boned it for them and packed it out. He had no business flinging lead at that buck. I practice once a week at 500yds and beyond. That shot would have been a gimme for me. I will not let anyone tell me what an ethical range is and i would not tell someone else. Hopefully as responsible adults we make good decisions. That 60yr old man has the same rights to hunt and possess a firearm as i do and i hope it stays that way. I just wish he would get a little closer next time.

BINGO.... If you decide to take an animal, you do it with confidence. It makes me cringe when I see these guy shooting their deer rifles ( happy with 4moa ) and going into the woods.

Accuracy International AW 300WM or better yet if you can afford the ammo 338LM.

I got one so Im a little bias ;-)

.300 RUM is good, if you have the cash to replace a worn out barrel every 500 rounds. Same with .338 LM only it last around 800. For that distance you´ll need a very heavy, long barrel, an overall very accurate rifle and good reloads. 1300m is a hell of a distance. You might really want a .50 BMG, sounds bananas for hunting but it would take the distance the best. If I where you,
I´d look at a Barret 98B in .338 LM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.300 RUM is good, if you have the cash to replace a worn out barrel every 500 rounds. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Same with .338 LM only it last around 800.</span></span> For that distance you´ll need a very heavy, long barrel, an overall very accurate rifle and good reloads. 1300m is a hell of a distance. You might really want a .50 BMG, sounds bananas for hunting but it would take the distance the best. If I where you,
I´d look at a Barret 98B in .338 LM. </div></div>

Really? I have about 1K down and it's still subMOA. My friend got about 4K out of his barrel.

no one has mentioned 300 Remington ultra or 300 weather bee mag. are these no good???

I have the 300 Rem Ultra and a 338 Lapua dont have a lot of rounds out of either of them but love them to death, they both shoot so well and are game smashers at long range!

#1 300 ultra
#2 338 edge(only because it cost so much more to shoot)

Bunnyack,
You are only getting 500 rounds out of your rums? Are you loading them very hot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Originally Posted By: GLENNERSI used and still own a SAKO 300 win mag, I use a leopold VX10 scope and hornaby 170 grain rounds. I like the 180 for 600 yards and closer. The 165 or 170 hornaby rounds are good for shooting flat distance, at 12 years old I used this weapon and a similar round and shot a 12 point buck on a dead run at 857 yards just to give you an idea.

12 tears old and not only a Buck at 857 YDS,but at a dead run no less!!! </div></div>
And that is the kind of shot that brings up "ethical hunting".

Would anyone on the hide be comfortable and 95% sure of a kill if they had a buck at 857yds on a dead run?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.300 RUM is good, if you have the cash to replace a worn out barrel every 500 rounds. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Same with .338 LM only it last around 800.</span></span> For that distance you´ll need a very heavy, long barrel, an overall very accurate rifle and good reloads. 1300m is a hell of a distance. You might really want a .50 BMG, sounds bananas for hunting but it would take the distance the best. If I where you,
I´d look at a Barret 98B in .338 LM. </div></div>

Really? I have about 1K down and it's still subMOA. My friend got about 4K out of his barrel.

</div></div>
OK, i might have been slighly exagurating. But a buddy of mine really had his RUM barrel worn out after about 600-700 rounds. It depends how you shoot. But cartridges like the .300 RUM, that are high pressure, high velocity, a ton of powder all that tend to burn barrels, lets just put it that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">m40a3 is a piece of crap you want a 20lb gun to hunt with i hope your hunting from the car </div></div>

lmao. +1!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwalter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to build a long distance rifle. mostly for hunting. I'm very familiar with the Marine Corps M40A3... and would like to have something along those lines but a range around 1300m. what do you guys suggest for me to build? I'm also not worried about costs.. </div></div>

5 pages of the best info and this guy hasn't piped up once ???mmmmmmmmmmm
Me thinks waste of bandwidth boys - I amazed Boltripper didn't tear it apart from the start -particularly that special length of 1300m

7mm Rem. Mag. I know that they have their detractors, but there's a reason it's the most popular magnum cartridge of all time: Reasonable recoil even in mid-weight rifle (don't need a break, just a good recoil pad). Excellent accuracy. Game-killing ability up to and including moose. Lots of bullet availability. Exceptional B.C. bullet configuration. With a 26" barrel and throated for the VLD Bergers, it will shoot distance w/ the .338 Lapua to 1500 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5 pages of the best info and this guy hasn't piped up once ???</div></div>

He probably died of old age.
wink.gif
This thread is over 4 years old...

John

This is the same kind of quandry i was in when i tried to build my first rifle. I was really glad for the people that told me not to try to do two things with one gun. Decide which you will do more - hunting or long range competition - then get the gun that fits
If you have no choice then 284 fits the bill.

I agree with Brian 100%
Shot placement is the most important, friend of mine is a good hunter and I remember him going bear hunting with his 25-06 Sauer 202.
A lot of people were making fun of his tiny looking tube.
To theirs surprise he harvested one of the nicest looking bears that hunt.
Lot of those fun-making guys who came empty-handed, were looking for the place where the bullet hit the bear. My friend kept smiling and pointed a little wound behind the ear right on the spine.
In hunting there are some ethics, at least for me, and I hope for you as well.
It is not about the picture of you and your rifle next to a dead beast, but more about the story behind it.
So what satisfaction, can one have shooting .50 cal at an Elk?

With that kind of rifle, go shoot at something that can shoot back I would say.

I will suggest, get yourself a rifle that you can enjoy shooting, and practice, practice, practice with it as much as you can.
If hunting is what you after, take a look at Blaser.
You can have one barrel with .308 that you can shoot all day long, for practice.
And when hunting some large game, just swap the barrel and you are ready.
(Natural point of aim, trigger control and overall rifle stays the same)

If long range shooting, first take a look at the places in your area were you will be shooting, and at what distances they have the targets set-up.
Chances are you will have some limitation to availability of the range its self.
Than look at some precision rifles, (my choice is Accuracy international)

Good luck
Mike.

I guess I was really bored tonight and read this whole post LOL LOL. I agree with alot of the view points made here so Im not going into the this view vs that view like some have. But I do prefer my 338 Lapua mag.

I would have to list them in the following order of precedence:

1) the one that marduk is holding
2) the one that chuck norris is holding
3) the one that the algonquin surveyor is carrying
4) finally my hk with the hubble telescope mounted to it while I am keistering a gps, map, anenometer, and a computer with google earth

think about that for a top 4 list....

Machinist_308 brought up an interesting point. I had forgotten that neither of my ranges where I am a member (one that has 1000yd range) will allow anything larger than 300 win mag.

this is a tough call, though Marduk's SKS snipery rifles are legendary, and Chuck Norris fires a 338 Lapua out of his cornhole, I'd have to go with an algonquin sportin a red bow firing home made robinhood fire arrows in a Troylike yard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this is a tough call, though Marduk's SKS snipery rifles are legendary, and Chuck Norris fires a 338 Lapua out of his cornhole, I'd have to go with an algonquin sportin a red bow firing home made robinhood fire arrows in a Troylike yard </div></div>

ok good call but he has to fire it at the sewer pipes cuz hey maybe the gases will explode all the way to fernandos house.

The M40 is an excellent choice especially if you have money to spend. There are cheaper alternatives though and you will still end up with the same rifle. Buying an M40 already built is expensive. Buying a Remington 700 SA plinker rifle will only run you around $300 -$400 bucks depending on how new the rifle is. I bought a Remington SA 700 on Gun-broker for $275, with a regular hunting style barrel and stock. That is still a lot cheaper than you can buy an action for through Brownells or any other place similar. I then had the action rebarreled and trued by my gunsmith and I sold the original barrel and the stock from the rifle. The money I made from selling the barrel and the stock paid for half of my HS precision stock. To make a long story shorter, I have a rifle that out of pocket cost less than $700 and it shoots well under half minute of angle. I put the big bucks into the optics. Good optics and a good rifle are only part of the equation though. Good ammo is truly the key ingredient. I recently attended a long range shooting course in Peoria, AZ. The ammo that I purchased from the school was reloaded ammo from Blackhills. I truly believe that Blackhills reloads are even better than their redbox ammunition. I say that because I believe that they are so worried that if they don't put in the effort to make their reloads as good or better than their redbox ammo that they will lose business, and they will not let that happen. The ammunition we shot was RP brass coupled with 175 grain HPBT bullets. It performed flawlessly and the groups produced were always less than half MOA. I am presently experimenting with different powders trying find the same combination that they use. I have also shot a lot of military M118 LR ammunition and although some folks have told me that it is also produced by Blackhills (I don't know if that is so), M118 can't hold a candle to how well that reloaded ammo shot. Good luck with finding or building your gun, either way you are going to have a great time with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On ethics.

I think we can all agree that any ethical hunter cringes at the thought of someone taking an unethical shot. To me a shot on an animal at a dead run, shooting through brush, or shooting even at 200yds when a guys rifle groups 6" at 100yds is unethical. Like Shawn Carlock so eloquently put it "you're either taking a high percentage shot or your not". Occasional bad shots happen, look at archery. I think what we are all afraid of is the idea of a person who has no business shooting at those ranges buying a rifle and thinking he can shoot a buck at 1300yds because he has a '1300yd rifle'. But to me this is no different than anybody else shooting beyond his/her limitations. So what do we do? Take his rifle away for fear he may use it at 1300yds? At least he is asking what it takes to make that shot. In the end we can only hope that he uses that tool wisely but it is still his choice as it should be.

I came across a man hunting who was in his 60's. He shot a buck at 8am in a canyon he could barely hike to. The dear sat there in the sun until 4:30pm when i came across him. He shot 4 times at this buck from 500yds until he finally hit it in the back. They tried to use a chainsaw come along to drag it 200ft at a time over 2 miles up and out. It was getting dark. I de-boned it for them and packed it out. He had no business flinging lead at that buck. I practice once a week at 500yds and beyond. That shot would have been a gimme for me. I will not let anyone tell me what an ethical range is and i would not tell someone else. Hopefully as responsible adults we make good decisions. That 60yr old man has the same rights to hunt and possess a firearm as i do and i hope it stays that way. I just wish he would get a little closer next time. </div></div>

Well put Mulehunter, its all dependent on knowing your limitations and every one has a right to hunt. If the average outdoors man would open their eyes; you would see that hunters are a dying breed in America. Times are changing and kids play to much X Box..lol

This is why this video should be a sticky.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1dpXaNfhGdU" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is why this video should be a sticky.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1dpXaNfhGdU" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe> </div></div>
Hey Hillbilly!!! This vid just about qualifies you for as free chassis. Would love to chat with you sometime!!!

I've wanted to say just about all this vid does, many times to people, just didn't want to get kicked off the board.

Cheers to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jerry M:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Curtis:
A true hunting gun should be of a caliber that you can walk in to any sporting goods store and buy ammunition... </span></div></div>+1 </div></div>Yes, great point. 300WM might be what you are looking for. Put a brake on it. </div></div>
my rifle 300 winmag with a 10x40x70mm weiss scope.she and i can and will engage targets out to 1100 yds with no problem,i enjoy the option of going into any sporting goods store and knowing they have ammo off the shelves, custom match is prefered for long shots however factory loads will work out to 800 yds no problem. good luck find something thats right for you, go to your local range and see if the rent weapons in the cal your looking for and try them out,

I love my .300wm for all my big game huntin...heck i varmint hunt with it too.lol...I have a 1164yd whitetail doe kill with the 175 vld @ 3225fps and got a complete pass thru with a mid body hit she went bout 30yds...not quite 1300 but probably as close as i will get, i hunt western ok and tx panhandle and its hard to find a shot over that on game that will stand there let u range and dope your wind ect...anything over bout 700yds gets iffy in a real world hunting scenario.