• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best long distance rifle?

RWALTER

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2006
Fort St. John
I'm looking to build a long distance rifle. mostly for hunting. I'm very familiar with the Marine Corps M40A3... and would like to have something along those lines but a range around 1300m. what do you guys suggest for me to build? I'm also not worried about costs..

Re: Best long distance rifle?

build one you can hit with.....and some very good glass that you can see with.

just what is it you hunt at 1300yd ?

I think what you are trying to say is that you want to build a multi use gun. One for long range shooting that you could take out to go kill bambi.

7mm fits this description well I think.

300RUM or 338 Lapua on one of the new Surgeon actions...22-25x scope

Will put the hurt on any NA critter at 1300M

JB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by rwalter:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> I'm looking to build a long distance rifle. mostly for hunting. I'm very familiar with the Marine Corps M40A3... and would like to have something along those lines but a range around 1300m. what do you guys suggest for me to build? I'm also not worried about costs.. </span></div></div>There is no "Best". But you have a LOT of good options. I suggest a .280 Improved. Easily supersonic to 1300 meters, decent barrel life, manageable recoil, good brass available for reasonable cost, and no sweat to build one like an M40A3.

280 or 280 Imp... 162 A-max or 175 sierra, at close to 3000fps in a 28" barrel, is a very nice long range rifle. Nice barrel life aswell..

Depending on what you're using it for, there are plenty of good choices, 338 LM, 338 snipe-tac, 375/408, 408 CT, just depends what restraints you're considering, ie., weight, barrel length, ammo availability, etc

there are many i can think of as this is can truly be a "build to suit" scenario.

if i were building up something i'd go with the surgeon action/obermeyer combo in a length of 28" in 300WSM or 300 RUM. an nice scope in the 20 to 25x max range would be great. a mac stock in the A4 or A5 would do nicely.

if it were a production rifle i'd consider the TRG in one of the mags.

m40a3 is a piece of crap you want a 20lb gun to hunt with i hope your hunting from the car

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by chucky:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> m40a3 is a piece of crap you want a 20lb gun to hunt with i hope your hunting from the car </span></div></div>lol

338 EDGE

Necked up 300 Remington Ultra Mag to 338.
300 gr. SMK
2850 fps, still doing mach 1 at 2000 yards. Still room to push it fasted, but this load is the most accurate for me, so far.
over 5400 ft/lbs at the muzzle.

Contact Shawn Carlock for more details.

Here's more: http://www.snipersparadise.com/articles/338edge.htm

One top choice would be the 338 Edge. One wants to remember you are going to carry it hunting.
A look at other types of rifle. The 300 H&H is
inpressive But the 06 to 300 win would also be a smart choice 25" tube with a 180 or larger will
get you past a 1000 with energy to spare.
At present shooting an 06 at 2890 with 180 horn
and have a 300 shooting a 200smk and sgk at over
3000 fps. Good for all game and matches. Luck on a choice.
A friend of mine his son just got out of Marines
Was Recon shoots a 300. At the range we were talking and said wait a minute went to his car
had a 300 win said look at the 600 yd target one
shot and a hit. A standard scope no knobs,then
showed empty cases deer, deer, elk, and the last
the steel target at the range. Impressed...

There are as many BEST LONG RANGE RIFLES out there is there are shooters. What works for one, may not work for another. Even with the same shooter, what works one day may or may not work the next day. Example, if I'm hunting on foot, my featherweight is best, If I'm hunting on horse back I'm not really concerned what the rifle weights.

JMHO

Shot two 375/408 CheyTacs last week. Very accurate and managable. There are two Sierra bullets that should be available sometime this winter/early spring, a 350gr and a 375 gr. The 350 gr has a muzzle velocity of around 3300 fps. Really a neat weapon. Actually saw the first bull elk taken with one of these rifles at 1280 yds.

Buy the optics first and then buy the rifle whit the money you have left.

I would recomende a SAKO TRG 22, and a Carl Zeiss 6-24x56 whit illuminated retricle. Now you have a long range sniper rifle.

//Sako

Sako308.. no no, S&B PMII 5-25x56 with illuminated reticle..

All depends on what it is that you want to kill at 1300 yds. For antelope and small whitetails there are several calibers that have what it takes at that range. For a mule deer sized animal you are going to need about 25 % more. For something the size of an elk there are very few choices among the factory cartridges. Perhaps the best are the 30-378 Wby, 338-378Wby, in a custom chamber with no freebore (accuracy issue), 338Lapua as mentioned and perhaps the 338RUM.

For wildcat calibers for elk at that range you have a fairly wide selection. Check with Shawn Carlock on the 338 Edge, Kirby Allen on the 7mm AM and 338 AM, Bruce Baer on the 338-416 and the list goes on. Most people believe that the big 338s are the way to go once you get past 1000 yds. The 7mm AM is good out to about 1800yds and 1300 yds would not strain it in the least.

You obviously will need a long barrel to burn a lot of powder, good brake to absorb all of the recoil from launching a heavy bullet at high speed and a good smith to build a highly accurate gun.

What is a 7mm AM ? Sound promising.

7mm WSM is also pretty good with the 168 VDL and 180VLD bullets.

A true hunting gun should be of a caliber that you can walk in to any sporting goods store and buy ammunition. That way when you drive 2 days to get to the hunt just to find the ammo you packed didn't make it in the truck the whole hunt isn't ruined.
I actually read that in some old hunting magazines that were going off on all the wildcat calibers being thrown out there. No sporting good store will have 338 lapua magnum, but they will have 300 winchester mag.
A big heavy long range gun and a nice lite hunt all day gun basically require 2 guns. Combining the two will make it less than the best for either sport. I agree with chucky. You will need to hunt from the truck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Curtis:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> A true hunting gun should be of a caliber that you can walk in to any sporting goods store and buy ammunition... </span></div></div>+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jerry M:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Curtis:
A true hunting gun should be of a caliber that you can walk in to any sporting goods store and buy ammunition... </span></div></div>+1 </div></div>Yes, great point. 300WM might be what you are looking for. Put a brake on it.

I have a 375 H&H and shoot 250 grns sierra's at 2760 FPS, that I use for elk hunting. Yeap almost like the 338 Lup. Am I going to shoot an elk at 1000yds +, I hardly think so. Buy the time I got my pony saddled and got across the canon, the bears and coyottes would beat me too it. Not you mention if you just wounded it, you chances of finding it are slim to none.

JMHO

I've always had a problem with the maximum effective range BS with rifles. My answer I always think of is how far can you carry it to beat the guy to death with it. Some nice big guns out their but if it isn't just pulling up to a range like most shooters do then it's a different answer. How far can you carry it and a combat load.

One of he 300 mags will be the best compromise of value and accuracy. 338's and for that matter 50 BMG's are great, but ya better have the scratch to shoot them often enough to be sharp enough to hit something (humanely) at 1300 yrds if at all possible. I hate to say anything insulting, but why is it necessary to hunt out to 1300 yrds???? Can't you get any closer? Bullets get pretty squirly out that far.. And then do you really want to pack the meat a mile? (Just food for thought).

Heads up with whatever rifle you buy to hunt I haven't read anything but i would not put a brake on it. Unless you are going to be wearing good hearing protection. When your at the range with muffs and glasses big difference then when your in the woods and that 338 300 win mag cracks off. With a brake you won't be hearing anything for a couple of days. If anyone shot a 300 win mag with say the boss brake in the woods with no ear pro you know exactly what I am talking about loouuuuuuuuudddddddd. good luck on your decision

What about a remington sendero sfII it has a 26" barrel and weigh's about 9 1/4 pounds. Very manageable for hunting as I pack one around through the canadian rockies without much trouble. Plus there is excellent long range calibers. The price is right also.

A 30/378 Weatherby with 190gr Bergers is a good combination. Like others, why so far if it is hunting? I just think I would sneek up a little closer. :rolleyes:

I've got two Weatherby Accumarks: one 30-378 and one 338-378. I've also got a Weatherby Threat Response Rifle in 338-378. All 3 of them are EXCELLENT long range. The downfall is the ammo cost.

The .338 RUM has been called the poor man's Lapua. I'd shy away from the Sako TRG since the barrel twist doesn't work well for the 300 grain boolets from what I've heard.

Many of my friends subscribe to the belief of buying in a cart that is readily available at every general store for the reasons mentioned above. I don't.

Marc

If you can stand high-dollar factory ammo and a relatively short barrel life, a Mark V in .30-378 is the way to go (IMHO)when long-range hunting with a factory rifle. The one I own and others I have shot are all accurate with the factory Weatherby ammo. If haveing a rifle custom built, your choices are pretty much unlimited.

Build two rifles.
One for hunting.
One for punching paper.
1000 yard shots on game animals is a moral issue.
If you are taking out an enemy spotter that is moral, wounding an Elk for bragging right is not.
If you feel that you must shoot game at over 1000 get a 50 BMG Target rifle.

GR

SSK AR-10 in 300 WSM. I agree, extreme range is for Tangos and OPFOR only. Get as close to your game as you can.

I dont know about 1300 m but check out the 264 win mag. She's hott! bout the furthest i killed with one is about 500 with alota kill still left in it. It isnt real popular but it is making a comeback

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by MarcS:
<span style="font-weight: bold">I'd shy away from the Sako TRG since the barrel twist doesn't work well for the 300 grain boolets from what I've heard.</span></div></div>250gr seems to work just fine up to 1500-1600yds.

I enjoy the 300 Win Mag but, best overall would prob. have to be the 338 Lapua.

338 Lapua will get it done at 1300 all day long if you can.
A 250 Nosler should do the trick on just about anything.

My TRG does fine with the 300 SMKs out to 1600. I haven't shot the 300 out further than 1600. I get my best resuts with the 250 scenars but I can shoot the 300 smks just fine up here at 5000 ' ASL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> m40a3 is a piece of crap you want a 20lb gun to hunt with i hope your hunting from the car </div></div>Is there something wrong with hunting from the car?
laugh.gif

Just what expereince do you have shooting? You are familiar with the sniper rifle set up. I was too at one point but I didn't know much about hunting at long range. I do now. give a little background on you purpose and experience. It'll be easier to help ya...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by RayDog:
<span style="font-weight: bold">
My TRG does fine with the 300 SMKs out to 1600. I get my best resuts with the 250 scenars but I can shoot the 300 smks just fine up here at 5000 ' ASL </span></div></div>Whats your load and MV?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A true hunting gun should be of a caliber that you can walk in to any sporting goods store and buy ammunition... </div></div>uhhh....last time i checked, 1300yds isnt "true" hunting, therefore a "true" hunting gun isnt required. dont get me wrong, i have nothing against LR hunting, i do it myself. just took a whitetail the other day at 410yds. my point is, LR hunting isnt done with "true" hunting guns, therefore desiring a caliber to buy store ammunition isnt needed. if something happens to MY ammo, i'm not going to the store, buying a box of factory 300RUM ammo, and expecting to do what i do with my own rolled match ammo. ok, so i can hunt up to 300yds, and that'll work fine if needed, but i have a personal range limit on that gun, and its beyond 300, so shooting factory rounds that wont get me that accuracy beyond that is pointless. do i suggest a SAMMI caliber over wildcat? sure, but getting picky on what defines a "true" hunting gun is a pissing contest. i have a 300RUM. standard round to buy ammo in the store, right? but my gun is far from a "true" hunting gun. theres no way i'm humping a 30" stainless barrel around in the woods. if you're doing LR hunting, then you're doing LR hunting. have the setup thats needed. theres PLENTY of good rounds to use. some are typical hunting calibers, so are not. pissing contests are pointless. get a GOOD setup, and learn to shoot it. THATS what counts. theres no replacement for shot placement.

-brian

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by CajunTim:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> How far can you carry it and a combat load.

Why would he need to carry a combat load? </span></div></div>A few times last time deployed i tried hailing a taxi outside our place but none to be found. I guess if you are just going to a range or not taking a ruck while hunting it's cool to add weight. I persoanlly prefer sporter barrels since I'm nice enough with my shooting. Heavy barrels are good for taking guys shooting errors out. Probably helps force some guys to not try to use muscle instead of lay the gun in on target while resting. Then the heavy barrel helps guys who aren't tuned to having the same force of hold on the rifle. Techniques will change between rifles like some of the larger ones really needing a bipod but if you are shooting good I'd figure the 6mm is going to fly the best and it isn't as heavy of a load when packing it. The 6mm is getting used more now of days so more stuff is coming out for it.

Combat load ? Those squirls are dangerous and all over out there don't cha know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by NewsToMe:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> I enjoy the 300 Win Mag but, best overall would prob. have to be the 338 Lapua. </span></div></div>Dittos.

McMillan action in an A5 stock with a 26" or 27" Schneider polygon barrel.

At 1000 yards, 338 Lapua is like cheating.
[ link to LARGER image ]
Top, 3 shots from TRG into 3", then scope base came loose and put them off (you could wiggle it side to side). Bottom, 5 shots AWSM into 4". Distance was lased at about 940 yards.

If I were hunting where I would have shots over 500 yards, hell yes I would carry the AWSM (with the can, even). What's the use of having such a rifle if you're not going to use it in the field.

Last deer I got in WI was at 30 yards, go figure..

You can hunt with a can in WI? You sure?

Mountain Man is right... "standard Hunting" rifles don't get the lR thing done effectively..

and not even sure how much experience this guys got...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by WyoWhisper:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> You can hunt with a can in WI? You sure?

</span></div></div>Cans are legal to own in WI. As far as hunting with them, let's put it this way... there's nothing in the regs that says you can't. At least in the regs in the booklet that they hand out at various places that sell licenses. Only FMJ's and MG's are specifically mentioned as not allowed. (amongst other things, of course)

I'll give the warden a call later today and find out for sure. If he knows that is.