• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best long distance rifle?

Re: Best long distance rifle?

Yes.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/faq_hunt_instructor.htm
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
# Suppressed (silencers) Firearms: Is it legal to hunt with a suppressed firearm?

That depends. The short answer is Yes…..if the hunter possesses a class III federal firearms license to own such devices. The use of a suppressed firearm (silencers) for hunting is illegal for anyone that does not possess such a federal license.

Wisconsin law does not prohibit the use of a class three suppressed weapon for hunting. Federal Law controls the legal possession and use of a class three suppressed weapon. The individual and weapon must have proper verification and certification of compliance from the Department of the Treasury, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. If the individual complies with all requirements of Wisconsin law, Wisconsin hunting regulations and Federal Law he may hunt with a class three suppressed weapon.
</div></div>Just to note, I wouldn't use a 338 in WI, at least where I hunt, not enough long-range opportunities to make it worthwhile. Line of sight is never more than a couple hundred yards, more likely to see one creeping or crashing through the brush 20 yards away than get a shot over 250 yards.

Sort of off topic; we must have it good. The family farm/land where we have hunted since I can remember has some decent sized ridges overlooking huge cornfields. Width of the fields being at their widest just over 600 yards (lazed) but length being over a mile (truck odometered). This is about 45 min west of Madison, near Camp Douglas.

Missed the trip up north this year....

The -06' w/ 165gr has done a fine job in both the length or the width of the fields.

-Burnz.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Zak Smith:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> Yes.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/faq_hunt_instructor.htm
# Suppressed (silencers) Firearms: Is it legal to hunt with a suppressed firearm?

That depends. The short answer is Yes…..if the hunter possesses a class III federal firearms license to own such devices. The use of a suppressed firearm (silencers) for hunting is illegal for anyone that does not possess such a federal license.

Wisconsin law does not prohibit the use of a class three suppressed weapon for hunting. Federal Law controls the legal possession and use of a class three suppressed weapon. The individual and weapon must have proper verification and certification of compliance from the Department of the Treasury, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. If the individual complies with all requirements of Wisconsin law, Wisconsin hunting regulations and Federal Law he may hunt with a class three suppressed weapon.
</span></div></div>Well I guess that answers it quite well.

I won't call the warden after all. I haven't met him personally yet and he just might take a question like that the wrong way.

As for long range hunting rifles, I have a M700 in 8mm mag but it kicks too much for my liking. I plan on having another one built in the same caliber, hopefully from GA. I pretty much have all the parts except for the barrel. The end product should be considerably heavier but I'll have the barrel set up for a brake if I decide I need it. Depending on my tax situation, I may get started on it after the first of the year.

If your gonna get into that then how about a 16" naval gun?

The 300 Winchester Magnum is a hard round to beat. Doesn't have all the hype associated with the "new" rounds, but in the hands of a shooter it will hold it's own. Sorry, I'm just "Old School".

Wind-Out

Did everyone forget about the 8mm Remington Mag? that seems to be an excellent long range round, otherwise my choice would be the new .416 barret.

well hanv't seen the original poster back to answer any of the quesitons asked back at him...

guess he wasn't all that serious...

for all we know long distnace tohim could be 300 yards

there is no magic Long Distance rifle... the best one is the one you shoot the best... at long distance.

Just a thought, you shoot a deer over 500 yds away and someone has already field cleaned by the time you get there.

One might consider the 300-12EGG wildcat designed by George G. at GAP. It can push the 4 Grand barrier with a 155 Scenar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by lee martin:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> One might consider the 300-12EGG wildcat designed by George G. at GAP. It can push the 4 Grand barrier with a 155 Scenar. </span></div></div>Whats barrel life like?
What is max range?

TA

Sorry for not checking back on this thread.

You asked what is a 7AM. Kiby Allen in Fort Shaw Montana builds a wildcat which is a 338 lapua mag blown out and necked down to 7mm. Because the case will burn 105 grains of H US869 you need a very heavy bullet to get the max performance out of the case and the end killing power. Richard Graves up in Canada makes a 200 grain Rebated Boattail Hollow Point bullet. In a 34 inch barrel I get a launch speed of 3340 fps with only 102 grains of powder. I could probably get 3400+ but 102 grains shoot well and kills well.

I am 58 years old and I carry this gun which weighs right below 16 pounds a mile to the shooting spot twice a day and some days up to 10 miles a day. The reason I can do this is I don't spend all of my time whining and complaining about how much a gun weighs. Instead I just smile about how steady it is when the crosshairs settle on a big elk. Nor do I spend my time worrying about what God thinks about me hunting animals. I am pretty sure he is not happy about what I did to people.

The 300 12-EGG is basically a 378 Weatherby case necked down to 30 cal. and has an "Ackley" type shoulder instead of the traditional Weatherby rounded shoulder. It holds about 120 grains of Reloader 25 and barrel life would be probably in the 1200 round range or better. It is a really impressive cartridge. Plug a 155 scenar at 4 grand into a ball. calculator and smile.

Lots of good information so far. Id concur with those that promote various 7mm's, it's a solid caliber choice for those extreme distances. For 1300 meters, using a 30cal. I'd say the 300 Winchester Magnum would be a good starting point, so a 300 UM, 300 SAUM, or 300 Win. Short Mag would also suffice. If you want anything larger I'd say go with a 338 Lapua. Good luck!

You still need to define what long distance is. All the whiz-bang wildcats may not be needed to accomplish a 1000 yard shot. There are alot of great standard calibers that are much more capable than what most realize.

Maybe not the answer you are looking for but go for what you like the looks of. What fits your packing it around the mountains since I figure long shots like that has to be rams and goats. You'll have to fire more practicing instead of hunting like usual.

Wyo is right here. Even though the wildcats have their appeal, the established, tried and true cartridges such as the 300 Winchester will get the job done. Attempting to harvest an animal at 1000 yards requires good range estimation and very good shooting skill. More human error to overcome than the small differences gained by a more expensive/troublesome wildcat.

"The 300 12-EGG is basically a 378 Weatherby case necked down to 30 cal. and has an "Ackley" type shoulder instead of the traditional Weatherby rounded shoulder. It holds about 120 grains of Reloader 25 and barrel life would be probably in the 1200 round range or better. It is a really impressive cartridge. Plug a 155 scenar at 4 grand into a ball. calculator and smile."

Not to be a noodge here, but find this hard to believe. I have a 30" 30-378 that by handload holds 120g RL25. 150s at 3800 MAX. Another 200fps with heavier bullet just from an ackley shoulder? I must be missing something.

What are you going to hunt at 1300 yards that you are going to make a clean kill on?

If you're shooting small targets at very long ranges, think about the 6XC using a 6-mm, 115-grain DTAC moly-coated bullet made by Sierra. A Tubb 2000 ("T2K") 6XC rifle shoots accurately to 1,500 yards. The low recoil of the 6XC, the high BC of the DTAC bullet, and the high MV make it all work well.

The 338LM, IIRC, will go somewhat longer, but you have to deal with high recoil and the resulting potential loss of accuracy. However, if you need many foot-pounds of energy to "kill" your target, then a 338LM or other magnum round is the way to go. Otherwise, the 6XC with a DTAC bullet at 3kft/s will fairly well dupe 338LM ballistics to the range you specified.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by g5:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> What are you going to hunt at 1300 yards that you are going to make a clean kill on? </span></div></div>Field mice.

Unless you have $$$ to replace gun in future when your tired of not finding ammo 30-06, 308, or 300WM are the best options. Not wanting to throw mud in face of those opting for higher performance, but look at all of the super good magnum and wildcat cartridges that have been popular in the past and performed better that fell on thier face due to the bottom line. If I had to guess I would say maybe 1 or 2 of the new short mags will be around in 30 more years, but I think all 3 of the above will still be as popular as ever due to price/ availability. They will also still put meat in freezer as good as they have for decades now. IMHO

+1.. .300wmag

I enjoy reading these types of topics. Everybody gets a chance to promote their favorite shootin' stick. In some ways there's no real answer, and in truth, there's no one good answer, but many good answers.

The rifle needs to be an asset, and not a liability. If it's heavy to lug around, or the sights are not compatible with quick target acquisition and good shot resolution, or the recoil is daunting, or the ammo is only something you can find on a handloaders' bench, you have to ask youself if the overall peformance outweighs the negatives.

I believe in the KISS principle.

I like a standard factory rifle. Easy to sell, and easy to find replacement parts.

I like a standard factory cartridge, easy to find, and generally well suited to specific tasks. if I want to save money by handloading, fine; but I try to duplicate the performance of something I can pick up on local shelves in a pinch, so nothing odd happens when I squeeze that trigger.

My favorite walkaround rifle is my M70 .30-'06 Featherwieght. 6 1/2lb with scope, without ammo. Has a relatively cheap and easily replaceable Tasco 6-24x42 varmint/target scope with a MilDot reticle, 1/4MOA elevation, 1/8MOA windage adjustments, an A/O that adjusts down to 15yd, and covered target knobs that can be reset to a derived zero.

It thrives on Federal 168gr Gold Medal, and on Winchester 165gr CXP hunting rounds. I also have a 168gr SMK handload that works very nicely. Despite the lightweight, it wears an older model B&C Realtree Camo stock that delivers recoil in a straightline manner not unlike the AR stocks, and for some indeterminate reason, the perceived recoil is just nowhere near as bad as I had initially expected.

It's probably gonna make its nut at 1Kyd, but also probably not much further beyond that.

For the longer distances, I use a Savage 10FP that's tricked out with a Sharpshooter Supply trigger and recoil lug, McMillan A3 Tactical stock, pillar bedded by McM, a Lothar-Walther 28" 1:8" SAAMI Chambered .260 Remington stainless BR grade barrel in a Savage Varmint contour (L-W contour #5171). It's chambered and threaded from the L-W factory for very simple no gunsmithing home installation. The scope base is a 20MOA sloped Ken Farrel item, and the Weaver low rings hold another of those Tascos I mentioned in connection with my M70. I own four of the scopes, so if a replacement is ever needed, they are right handy. This rifle makes 1Kyd with plenty to spare, and is proabably going to remain supersonic out to 1300-1400yd, given the right conditions. A cold day at sea level is a lot tougher to get the gun to work out there than a hot day at 6-7000ft.

But the most important factor in what's the best rifle is the shooter themselves. Even the finest, most meticulously designed and crafted rifle isn't gonna do squat if the shooter expects the rifle to do all the work for them. Since you mention some considerable experience with the M40A3, I am assuming you are already familiar with this issue.

I would gladly trade a BR gun capable of neutering gnats at 100yd for a solid, reliable rifle that delivers 1/2MOA shot after shot after shot. Taking such a rifle and wringing it out at vastly varying distances, under vastly varying conditions, is probably going to be the key event that convinces the shooter which rifle is the best rifle <span style="font-style: italic">for that shooter</span>. You make it the best rifle by making yourself the best implementer of that rifle. There may be better rifles around, but in the right hands yours can be the better, and in the wrong hands, theirs can be the inferior.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryu_sekai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.17 HMR </div></div>

LMFAO! 30-30 Win hands down the best round!

A little off topic but I saw that early on in this thread the .280 or .280AI was mentioned. I have the opportunity to buy a Remmy 700 in .280 for a steal of a deal. I thought it might make for something different on the 1000 yard line. Am I going to be disappointed in the performance of this round at those distances accuracy wise? I realize I will need to load for it and "Accurize" the weapon, I just don't know much about the .280.

Chupa

My son in law has a stock Remington 280 in a BDL hunting rifle. All we did is lighten the trigger and bed it and it will put 3 rounds into a paper plate at 600yds that you can cover up with a coffee cup anytime you take it out and shoot it.

He is using the the Berger 168s in his rifle and loves it. He has a 300WM and has not shot it since he got his 280.

one eyed Jack,
I had a 6XC an I loved it but its not a 1500 or even a 1300yd gun. I shot the 105 lapuas in mine and 107s and I shot it to 1000 and 1300yds and my 260 would outshoot it with 123s at both ranges.

I tried the 115s in mine but was not that impressed with the accuracy in my rifle so I stayed with the 105s. I finally rechambered it to a 243 because I just think the 6XC is to small of a case for 1000yds in the real world. Maybe if you can push the 115 in the 3000 to 3100fps range they will work better. That is my hope anyway.

you're babies... personnaly I used a mortar... of 80mm for long range varmint shooting sometimes I kill 20 prairie dogs with one shot and some cows... with shrapnels... and for long range big game hunting... my last toy a mortar of 120mm no need to skin the game...

no seriously... stop please hunting is hunting... shooting is shooting.... used a Sniper/target Rifle in 338 Lapua Magnum to shoot a game at +1000Yds is not hunting... make action shooting or sniper match and you'll see it's funny and very exciting....

and for hunting buy a good custom sporter rifle in 7mm remington Magmum and hunt.. from 100 to 500Yds after it's not hunting no skills, no stalking,etc... or buy a custom varmint rifle in a 6mm caliber and shoot vermin at very long range is playfull...

have a nice day !!!!

My sentiments on this topic are somewhat like TRS's. LR hunting or shooting really isn't today as much about barrels, bullets and bedding (they're all good) as it is about the shooter's skill. In hunting scenarios, it's also about the shooter making mature choices, where safety and ethics are paramount and can be absolutely assured. Problem is, LR hunting safety and ethics, in many scenarios, can't be assured. BTW, since the question about best LR hunting rifles isn't a particularly mature question in the first place, coming mostly from folks who have not reflected on it, I'm not inclined to get too deep into discussing it. What's the point?

Point is, Sterling, it helps us all to vet the quality of the information we get from people who post on this site. No one questions Greg's experience with shooting and firearms. No one questions your ability at long range riflery. No one questions Zak's knowledge of Accuracy International products. I think Weda, maybe Kraig, might be go-to people for long range hunting, at least that's how I see it so far. No offense if left out any of the other heavy-hitters here.

chupa, the .280AI is just a NAD behind the 7WSM...........
shocked.gif

So that should give you a clue.

There's no shortage of capable LR hunting rifles, but, skilled LR hunters, I don't know. For me, the issues are safety and ethics. Seems to me, promoting the proposition could feed the fire of someones fantasy, who might need a reality check.

I disagree with anyone putting a range limitation on hunting.

I don't know how to more ethically kill game than by hitting it with a 300 grain bullet with over 1000 lbs of ft lbs of energy.

Hunting is hunting this is all we need, gun owners in a frenzy feeding the fire for anti-gunners to take more and more rights away because someone doesn't like what someone else is doing whether is works or not. Some like to bow hunt, some like to trap, some like to muzzle load, some hunt with a camera. Lets respect what others do and not push our PERSONAL PREFERENCES on everyone else by telling them what they are doing is un-ethical.

No, I'm not pushing for or against anything. Some folks don't have the skill to hunt at any distance; yet, exercising some discipline and the rule about knowing your target and what's beyond, they're hunting safely. But, at LR, things are different, a whole lot of safety issues require very mature decisions on whether to shoot, or not to shoot. If you've assessed the risk, and, accepted it, go for it. Whose to stop you? My concern is with folks who, being ignorant or stupid, are a threat to others when they're shooting, period.

I've passed on plenty of LR hunting shots where the distance, wind, and slope could not be completely recognized quickly enough to make calculations assuring a good shot, before the game moved on. On other occasions, I've been successful with what I consider very long shots, like a Prong Horn I hit at about 488 paces a few years back. Now, I have had opportunities to shoot Prong Horn at much greater distances, but, recognizing the limits of my skill, I had the good sense to decline. Wind, slope dope, rifle accuracy and my skill all add up to a no-go when I know I can't, with certainty, place a bullet where it needs to go.

Also, who said anything about a range limitation on hunting? I didn't. But, here's what I do say, hunt smart. Promote sound hunting practices and safety. Encourage marksmanship. Make hunting awesome and accident free for everyone. Be responsible. Hunting deserves no less than this from anyone in the field.

My NEXT rifle will be THE BEST LR rifle ever!

Least thats what I tell my wife each time
grin.gif

Pass that its just pissin in the wind, the best, the prettiest, the hottiest, the 'best bang for the buck'...

Oh well, I guess some cant make it to the range very often- the internets is their test facility...

WOW!!! I haven't read a Mike D. post in a looooong time!!!! Good to see ya back in the mix here! Don't know if you were away on travels or whatever, but good to see ya back!

Just been a tad busy, weather got warm, calves are hittin the ground, fence aint gonna put itself up, matches have started back up n I do from time to time wander over to Badlands
wink.gif

Hope you n yours are well, mine is as onery as ever!

you're babies... personnaly I used a mortar... of 80mm for long range varmint shooting sometimes I kill 20 prairie dogs with one shot and some cows... with shrapnels... and for long range big game hunting... my last toy a mortar of 120mm no need to skin the game...

STOP IT, my sides are hurting from that one!

In other hand, why to go big? You hunt bears?

Check 6.5-284. No recoil,very light rifle to carry, usually very accurate and gives flatter trajectory than any 338.

Works fine +1000yds.

ok if not 50bmg then 338LM
smile.gif
and if not that then a 7wsm with a 176gr cauterciou bullet sorry if I spelled that wrong.

Check out the XL Surgeon action.I'm haveing built a 30-375 ruger.Glenn P
earce of pearce rifles claims this size cartridge has the perfect powder volume for heavy 30 bullets.

Well you did MISPELL IT, but WHO cares?.
grin.gif

How about taking a Mt Goat at 350yds w/ a 1911- .45acp, ball ammo?.
crazy.gif

Yup, seen it done......................

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Two Shoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about taking a Mt Goat at 350yds w/ a 1911- .45acp, ball ammo?.
crazy.gif

Yup, seen it done...................... </div></div>

I'd pay to see that.

only an idiot or a world class marksman would shoot at big game 1300m away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chevyrulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">only an idiot or a world class marksman would shoot at big game 1300m away.

</div></div>

You might want to reconsider your statement since there are more then a few here capable of making that kind of shot.

I just saw another thread where he said the same thing about 600 yard shots...

1,300 yards is out of range for me (I don't have any rifles chambered for rounds that big yet...but I'm considering a 338 LM soon), but I have no doubt that there are many people who could make that shot.

Texas Rick...I like that sig line...pretty neat and very true.

The 338 LM is certainly capable of reaching that far, but as far as hunting at those ranges, I think a resonsible hunter would not risk wounding an animal at such extended ranges rather than a clean kill at a closer range. I'm sure there are a couple of world class shooters that visit this site that could hit a target at that range, but I doubt Carlos Hathcock could guarantee a heart of lung shot at 1,300 yards.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VX4aqmbaGIo&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VX4aqmbaGIo&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>