• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best long distance rifle?

Re: Best long distance rifle?

Stupid video won't work...

Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX4aqmbaGIo&feature=related

Watch it. That's an order.
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">m40a3 is a piece of crap you want a 20lb gun to hunt with i hope your hunting from the car </div></div>

My 300 was 17lbs loaded with scope. Never really had problems with it.

I shoot a weatherby vanguard 30'06 with hornaday 165 gr. light mag loads (about 2940 fps)and a lieupold vx III 2.5 to 8. It shoots about 3/4 inches groups at 110 yds. Would this setup shoot 1000 yds if the right shooter had it?

The best LR rifle isn't a brand or a caliber. It's the rifle you know well enough to predict what it will and won't do at LR. As long as it's effective enough to reach the distance with some reasonable predictability, it's good enough to be come the best LR rifle, for you, in your particular hands.

The gun does not make the shooter a champion, the shooter makes the gun a champion's gun.

Greg

+1 greg you are very correct. It also comes down to pure facts. GO 375!!! www.longrangeresearchcenter.com It all depends on what kind of accuract your looking for. The ELR mark is around 2000 yards. At that point you need to look at BC and remaining energy if you plan on shooting any farther then that. The 300 wm does a great job but just doesnt have the bc or energy to shoot any farther then that. I have seen 338-408 shoot 13" groups and backed up with 14" groups at a mile. Now thats getting it done. But outside of 2k the accuracy tends to drop off unless you can shoot heavier bullets with better BC.

This thread was started over 2 years ago and the guy that asked the question has only 1 post..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stupid video won't work...

Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX4aqmbaGIo&feature=related

Watch it. That's an order.
smirk.gif
</div></div>

The next to last and 2nd to last shots on the steel head you can see the sonic trail as the shot goes out, it goes too the top of the video frame and those guys need a BIGGER CAMERA LENS... WOW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000YARDS+</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is the BEST LONG RANGE RIFLE!!! </div></div>

Can you say "D"... Or maybe "D+" if I get involved... LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AverageJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000YARDS+</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is the BEST LONG RANGE RIFLE!!! </div></div>

Can you say "D"... Or maybe "D+" if I get involved... LOL</div></div>

I couldn't help myself.......LOL,,,,will post a pick of one of mine just for the fun of it.

Does that get me extra credit? maybe a "C",,,,LOL

LOL 1K, AverageJoe is referring to the Big "D" as in Diplomat build. You know my 20mmVulcan necked down for the 966gr 50cal projectiles
smile.gif
. Dam thats gonna be a big stock, got anyone in mind that can make one for it??? LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000YARDS+</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AverageJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000YARDS+</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is the BEST LONG RANGE RIFLE!!! </div></div>

Can you say "D"... Or maybe "D+" if I get involved... LOL</div></div>

I couldn't help myself.......LOL,,,,will post a pick of one of mine just for the fun of it.

Does that get me extra credit? maybe a "C",,,,LOL </div></div>

I might be able to give ya a little extra. Just make sure Later can lift it...
wink.gif

Later,I suggest for a stock a laminated wood stock with a barrel bedding block system.That way the action doesn't have to support that massive barrel weight and as an additional attribute it will help dampen vibration upon firing impulse.I'm wishing I had done my 375 this way and might still!

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL 1K, AverageJoe is referring to the Big "D" as in Diplomat build. You know my 20mmVulcan necked down for the 966gr 50cal projectiles
smile.gif
. Dam thats gonna be a big stock, got anyone in mind that can make one for it??? LOL </div></div>

LOL, I missed it!!! Good One,,

I may know of a custom stock maker for you,,,,,,

Steve: We use Barrel Blocks on some of our hvy-long barrels,, was already considering a forend, block combo depending on barrel contour.

Happy Thanksgiving !! to all

7mm wsm---shot competition at 1000 meters-- 48 out of 60 bulls on an A5 stock (bullseye is 5 inches) surgeon rifle ---ask preston pritchett at surgeon-----they are a great crew----reeves out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarcS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd shy away from the Sako TRG since the barrel twist doesn't work well for the 300 grain boolets from what I've heard. Marc </div></div>

I have shot sub-half MOA groups with 300 Gr SMK's from a TRG-42. load was 88.0 +/- 0.5 grains (this means 87.5 - 88.5) of VihtaVuori N-165 powder using 300 grain Sierra Match King bullets and LAPUA (and ONLY Lapua) brass. Awesome tack driver!

I've watched a bunch of hunting videos like the one above. As a lifelong hunter I watch them and always wonder how many animals ran off wounded and were never found. It's easy to make yourself look good when you do the editing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwalter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to build a long distance rifle. mostly for hunting. I'm very familiar with the Marine Corps M40A3... and would like to have something along those lines but a range around 1300m. what do you guys suggest for me to build? I'm also not worried about costs.. </div></div>

First of all; if you are so familiar with the M4OA3 like you say you are; you wouldn't be seeking this advice. Secondly; it almost sounds like you are wanting to see how far you can shoot a deer from... JFYI; a 300RUM will get you out to 1300 with your own loads easily. I just hope you are not shooting at anything bigger than a coyote at this distance.

LW

The only cartridge remotely suitable for killing at that range is a match grade 50 BMG. The ethics of hunting at that range bear no comment except REPREHENSIBLE!
Unless you are a USA, Seal or USMC trained sniper you have about as much chance of a clean kill at 1300 yards as I do of winning Camp Perry.
Hunting is not about technology, it about getting close enough to smell the Elk.
We are becoming a nation of Gump poster boys!

depends on what you want to spend... 338 mag or 408 CT are the best for over 1k

I'm not a big fan or LR hunting. While I know it's possible to deliver effective terminal performance with reasonable accuracy at extended distances, the challenge of hunting, for me, is not about how far I can deliver doom, but how close I can get before I am required to make the shot.

For me it's about the stalk, and the marksmanship is only the ultimate culmination of many factors that comprise an especially enjoyable hunt. That's a big bunch of the reasons why I favor less potent chamberings, like the .260.

While no slouch (I would rate the .260's accuracy and terminal performance as somewhere between the .308 and maybe a bit closer to the .30-'06 at extended distances), I'd rather not overstress the abilities of the .260, or my own LR capabilities with any other cartridge, beyond the best (read shortest) distances I can reach on a stalk.

If I'm not absolutely confident I can make the shot without allowing the animal to escape wounded, I won't take it. No animal deserves to be left to dies slow and hard; or worse, live with a debilitating injury.

The first deer I ever harvested had a broadhead imbedded and chronically infected in its right shoulder muscle. To be safe, I felt it necessary to discard most of that shoulder and leg. I was also forced another time to dispatch a buck which had been blinded and horribly maimed, by all visible evidence, at least several days prior to my encountering him. The smell of the infection was bad enough to make getting close enough to examine the damage simply sickening. I get kinda hot sometimes when I find myself tidying up after other 'hunters'.

For me, hunting isn't about proving anything to anyone, including myself. It's about harvesting nature's best delicacies in a humane and efficient manner.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not a big fan or LR hunting. While I know it's possible to deliver effective terminal performance with reasonable accuracy at extended distances, the challenge of hunting, for me, is not about how far I can deliver doom, but how close I can get before I am required to make the shot.

For me it's about the stalk, and the marksmanship is only the ultimate culmination of many factors that comprise an especially enjoyable hunt. That's a big bunch of the reasons why I favor less potent chamberings, like the .260.

While no slouch (I would rate the .260's accuracy and terminal performance as somewhere between the .308 and maybe a bit closer to the .30-'06 at extended distances), I'd rather not overstress the abilities of the .260, or my own LR capabilities with any other cartridge, beyond the best (read shortest) distances I can reach on a stalk.

If I'm not absolutely confident I can make the shot without allowing the animal to escape wounded, I won't take it. No animal deserves to be left to dies slow and hard; or worse, live with a debilitating injury.

The first deer I ever harvested had a broadhead imbedded and chronically infected in its right shoulder muscle. To be safe, I felt it necessary to discard most of that shoulder and leg. I was also forced another time to dispatch a buck which had been blinded and horribly maimed, by all visible evidence, at least several days prior to my encountering him. The smell of the infection was bad enough to make getting close enough to examine the damage simply sickening. I get kinda hot sometimes when I find myself tidying up after other 'hunters'.

For me, hunting isn't about proving anything to anyone, including myself. It's about harvesting nature's best delicacies in a humane and efficient manner.

Greg </div></div>

well said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats wrong with a 308??? </div></div>

i like shoot with my 308 until 1000 mt, after this, the bullet become subsonic and less stability

ok just to play devils advocate has anyone ever gone hunting and forgot your ammo? I dont want to hear my cousin Beavis stories. I have driven all over hell and hiked half that far to go hunting and never forgot anything let alone something as important as ammo

I have to agree, if the 7mm doesn't meet your fancy, you cant go wrong with a 338LM- bigger distance-bigger gun-bigger kick, always bring enough gun.

Yeah i like the 7mm for where im at its less hard on the hides than a 50 cal. I just shoot my dads 7mm at 1000yds and we were hitting ballons that were 9 inches. But theres alot more that goes into long distance shooting.

7mm PHhFfffffffffffff .. I use light weight performance beyond 1000
light winds this morning, got a 1st round hit @ 788 yrd and then feeling cocky & just moved over to 1028 yrd. and it did take 5-rounds to get on. with 40.25 Holdover & 5-moa Windhold . and tagged it 2 out of 3 after the 5 spot shots .'Was doing with 6-BR and the ( 68 grn.) Berger match flat base .
cant wait to finish this barrel off and bump on up to the 80 grn. flat base Bergers. LOL HAhahahah

last year i actually forgot my ammo for my hunting trip. i was on a trip about 3 hours from home for 5 days and forgot my 7mm rem. mag. ammo. luckily i had another rifle with me that i had ammo for but i did not see anything to shoot at. so it was a waste of 5 days for me.

Five days wasted, but you could have gone home and picked up the missing stuff in about six hours?

Now I understand the term 'fuzzy logic' much better...

PS ...Upon reflection I recognize that I was way over the top with my sarcasm, while also concluding that the decisiveness to sacrifice some hunting time to resolve a critical problem would have been my own preferred way of dealing with the situation. But nobody's constrained to employ my brand of logic...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigdog2084</div><div class="ubbcode-body">last year i actually forgot my ammo for my hunting trip. i was on a trip about 3 hours from home for 5 days and forgot my 7mm rem. mag. ammo. luckily i had another rifle with me that i had ammo for but i did not see anything to shoot at. so it was a waste of 5 days for me.</div></div>

No such thing as a wasted hunting trip. If it was all about the kill it wouldn't be called hunting. IMO.

I used and still own a SAKO 300 win mag, I use a leopold VX10 scope and hornaby 170 grain rounds. I like the 180 for 600 yards and closer. The 165 or 170 hornaby rounds are good for shooting flat distance, at 12 years old I used this weapon and a similar round and shot a 12 point buck on a dead run at 857 yards just to give you an idea.

There isn't that many place's you can go hunting to take shots like that anymore unless Montana or Colorado. We still have some very nice bucks here in the UP. I have two tens and a eight pointer in the back yard every morning.

Yes you can hunt with a can if you can in wi., do it all the time, checked with warden he called madison...go with peace and bullets tk