• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Mass Produced Long Range Rifle Under $1000?

BigBlockUSP

General
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2017
Colorado
I recently moved to Colorado and found out there is a 1000 yard rifle range near me. Now I'm trying to decide which rifle to buy and the choices are endless. I think I'm leaning towards a Tikka T3x currently, but I want to see if there are better options out there. I don't really care how it looks, I just want the best accuracy and the best bang for my buck. I'm sure this has been covered in the past but I would appreciate some up to date feedback. Glass will be bought later and isn't a factor of my budget.

do you have a caliber in mind?.....are you planning mods, or are you looking for something to pull out of the box and go?

For under a grand I think the Bergara HMR in 6.5CM would be tough to beat.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If it's the range I'm thinking it is, you'll probably see me there with my 24" CTR in 6.5CM. Whittaker guns had/has it for $820. Not sure when I'll be going next.

Unless you're limited by weight for lugging around in the mountains, the CTR version of the T3x may tickle your pickle a bit better.

Less than a grand? Mass produced? Tikka T3, all models but CTR 24" is the best IMHO.

I used to shoot Remington and Savage, but I bought the Tikka CTR .260 in 2015 and I wouldn't go back to either.

Tikka for sure at that budget.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As others have said tikka, but if you want stock option already pretty good out of the box look at bergara hmr.

I'm honestly surprised that so many people are saying T3x. The Vanguard caught my eye but I heard they're not as accurate. Apparently they are all sub moa guaranteed now though as of 2017. The Winchester Model 70 is also intriguing, but I'm not sure why they don't seem recommended very much. So there is NOTHING better than a Tikka T3x under a grand? Are there any custom options in that price range worth buying?

I owned both, and recommend the Bergara B14 HMR. The build quality is on par with Tikka, and the accuracy is pretty much the same. The Bergara has a better stock due to the mini chassis molded into the stock. The rifle has a Remington 700 footprint so it can take all of the Remington 700 aftermarket accessories. Plus it uses AICS which are cheaper and easier to get than CTR mags. I owned the Tikka CTR, but sold it to fund a custom build. However, I think the factory Tikka trigger is better.

My tikka CTR is completely stock, and I hit everything out to 1000 with it so far. Absolutely love it and wouldn't hesitate to by another.

I'm honestly surprised that so many people are saying T3x. The Vanguard caught my eye but I heard they're not as accurate. Apparently they are all sub moa guaranteed now though as of 2017. The Winchester Model 70 is also intriguing, but I'm not sure why they don't seem recommended very much. So there is NOTHING better than a Tikka T3x under a grand? Are there any custom options in that price range worth buying?

The Vanguards are very accurate. Their action is semi-bedded into the stock, and the barrels are excellent. Savage would be my choice, because I like to be able to change my own barrel. Winchesters are also on the list, but are harder to find, and Winchester does not install barrels that are fast-enough twist for some calibers. In .308, they use 12 twist, and you want 10 for 1,000 yd shooting, so you can load 180-210 Berger or JLK or ELD, etc. Trigger on Vanguard is not so good; ignore comments about Savage AccuTrigger; they are about the best there is out of the box. Winchester/Remington triggers will end up getting replaced by Jewell/Timney/Shilen, etc. if you want to compete at 1,000 yds. Tikkas are fine, but they're not magic. The world record F/O at 600 yds for women was shot with a Savage. I don't see any Tikkas at the F-class matches. What the people use who shoot all the time are customs, Remington, Savage. Put on a scope with mildots, along with a 20 MOA picatinny rail for mounting. Don't need to break the bank on a scope. A Bushnell 6500 5-30x for about $800 is as good as anything. You will want side focus parallax adjustment on the scope. Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision in .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor has 8 twist, which is the twist you'll want in 6.5, for under $1,000 at Bud's Guns on the internet. The stock is HS Precision, which is excellent.

I own a CTR in .308 and love it. Just picked up a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Cr, but have not had an opportunity to shoot it yet. Be aware that CTR mags are about $150 each.

At this point I want the Model 70 the most because it's a classic, but the $300 price difference is just too much. Since the vast majority of you guys are saying the Tikka is the best anyways I'd rather put that money towards better glass. I wasn't really considering custom, but I have to say, I would LOVE a McMillan A-3 stock. It would be hard to mess with a new gun though if it's already sub moa out of the box. I would almost be afraid that it would decrease the accuracy somehow.

I guess the Tikka is winning at this point but I still haven't ruled out the Howa 1500. I like it's solid construction, I like the extra weight since I'm somewhat recoil sensitive, I like that it's made in Japan and not Portugal, and I especially like that they offer threaded heavy barrels from the factory. I currently have a .30-06 but I'm tempted to get a 300 Win Mag this next go round and just install a muzzle brake. The .30-06 is the biggest caliber I can handle recoil wise at this point but I would like to move up to a 300 Win Mag. I'm sure 180gr rounds, shooting in a t-shit, and a rifle that weighs 7 lbs total doesn't help any.

Last edited:
Bump. I just talked to 3 reputable gunsmiths in my area and all three recommended getting a Remington 700. I was hoping one of them was just really against foreign guns, but 3 for 3 can't be a coincidence. They told me that if I ever want to get work done on a Howa I'll have a hard time because of metric threads and a lack of aftermarket support. He said that I probably wouldn't even be able to get it rebarreled in the future. Then again, I don't want to spend that much money on custom work anyways.

At this point I'm leaning towards Howa barreled action in a McMillan A2 stock. I would get a Remington 700 action, but I don't see any barreled actions and I don't want to buy a custom barrel and a custom stock.

I would go with a Tikka T3x CTR 6.5 creedmoor with 24"bbl and send it off to someone who works on Tikkas when the need arises to be rebarrelled.
I suspect they all recommend Remington 700 because that is what they do the majority of their work on.

Last edited:
Bump. I just talked to 3 reputable gunsmiths in my area and all three recommended getting a Remington 700. I was hoping one of them was just really against foreign guns, but 3 for 3 can't be a coincidence. They told me that if I ever want to get work done on a Howa I'll have a hard time because of metric threads and a lack of aftermarket support. He said that I probably wouldn't even be able to get it rebarreled in the future. Then again, I don't want to spend that much money on custom work anyways.

At this point I'm leaning towards Howa barreled action in a McMillan A2 stock. I would get a Remington 700 action, but I don't see any barreled actions and I don't want to buy a custom barrel and a custom stock.

My rifle is a custom Howa, 26" kreiger m24 in a KRG. i havent had a problem getting metric threads cut. there are also a number of stocks and chassis on the market.

Attachments

• 33846174310_83d385f5a7_o.jpg
    33846174310_83d385f5a7_o.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 112
The Tikka is the way to go!

That being said, we just got the new HMRs in at my shop, and we've all been drooling over them.

The barrel profile on the Bergara seems a little thin for PRS matches. Am I wrong?

It seems Bergara puts the #5 contour on every rifle.

Stay away from Remington. Most smiths do lots of work on Remington 700s, but it's because they need the most work done. Our shop has been sending back a ton of Remington's for QC issues.

Trust everyone one when they say Tikka, cause it's the best choice.

Another vote for Tikka. I have one of the early CTR's in .260 and it's no slouch, that's for sure. The newer 24" variants are where you want to be...

Howas shoot as well, and can be rebarreled by any competent gunsmith; they just hate changing out the gears to cut metric threads. Tikka's are SAE (16tpi), so a non-issue. 700's get talked up by gunsmiths because that's what they know, and probably what most of their tooling is set up for. It's the internet age, so there's a lot of options out there, outside of the local crusty gun plumber, who tells you what you should have, instead of doing what you ask for...

I know a few people that really like their Savages. Are the Tikkas superior? I'm in a similar situation to the OP.

Oh yeah, Tikkas are way above in quality over the Savages. Not saying Savages don't shoot (and sometimes better), but they do suffer from mediocre feeding and a weak extractor when compared to the Tikkas.

Savage Arms 10 BA Stealth 6.5CM $999 at Dick's.

Note, at 1000yd, the best accuracy is going to be somewhat less about the rifle itself, and more about the shooter and their ammunition.

If you're new to $1000yd, this rifle is more than plenty to start out with, and will hang in while your come up to speed and for a long while after that. It will also hold a good resale value for after that, especially if you leave it just the way it comes in the box.

...And remember, the Savage is the quintessential basic switch-barrel rifle, so rebarreling it down the road is a do-it-yourself-at-home proposition. It will accept Savage drop-ins in any chambering that has the .473" diameter cartridge base. I have done several switches on my Savage 2001 10FC; .260, 260 again, .30BR, and back to .260.

Greg

Last edited:
Another vote for the Tikka. I picked up a new CTR in 6.5CM two months ago and I absolutely love it. I've only reached out to 822y with it with good impacts but there's no doubt in my mind it'll reach out further, much further. Pair it with a good brake and good optic and you're good to go.

Howa's/Vanguard are great. Don't let them scare you off. The aftermarket isn't as vast as for the 700 but everything you need is out there and can be found. Stock options, chassis options, DBM, triggers, it's all there, you just might have to spend a few more minutes looking for what you need. Same with the metric threads, might just have to call a few more smiths to find one that will work on them, but a future re-barrel is definitely not out of the question. I know SAC works on them, because they have a pile of parts I sent them to build a rifle off of, they said they have no issues working on them. A local guy to me said he had no issues with them either. If the Howa is what you want, don't be scared to get it, there is definitely options out there to be had. All that said, and it has been said a lot here already, Tikka's are a great option as well.

I have a Remington 700 that shoots well, but I have $2000 into it with barrel, accurizing, trigger, and stock. I had a 700 Police that shot really well and only spent about $1600 on a new trigger and chassis. Got a Savage 10 that has an accurized receiver and Mike Rock barrel, but feed well from AI mags and it is in an MDT chassis- $1300. Got a Tikka 6.5 CTR and bought it for $950, and am totally happy with everything about it. If you don't like the price of a CTR magazine and/or are going to restock it anyway, get the non-CTR version, restock it with whatever you want and add one of these https://tikkaperformance.com/index.php?_route_=tikka-t3/tikka-aics-dbm

I would contend that the Tikka is at least as smooth as the Surgeon action I have.

I really like the CTR but I decided that I'm definitely getting a 300 Win Mag and they don't make them in that caliber unfortunately. I will take another look at Savage because I like their triggers and I really like that you can swap barrels yourself. I guess I wouldn't do that very often probably, but it's nice to have the option. I like the 110 FCP HS a lot, but the lack of a muzzle brake is a deal breaker. Plus I've heard several people say that McMillan is superior to H-S.

Surprised more people aren't on the Bergara wagon. Looks to be hard to beat with the included features. I own one but have yet to test the accuracy, hopefully this weekend. Stock seems to be extremely well made, ample adjustibility, Remington foot print, aics mags...a lot of good things in its corner.

Surprised more people aren't on the Bergara wagon. Looks to be hard to beat with the included features. I own one but have yet to test the accuracy, hopefully this weekend. Stock seems to be extremely well made, ample adjustibility, Remington foot print, aics mags...a lot of good things in its corner.

I saw those rifles and they seem pretty good. They don't interest me too much though because I've never heard of them. I don't like straying too far from the pack due to poor resale value down the road.

I'm looking at Bergara. Been doing some research, looking at reviews, and what not. You should do the same. Under $1K there's no doubt to me the HCR is the best value. Then the BMP for just over $1K, mostly because of the Savage style barrel nut making barrel swaps a breeze. Mags are single feed pmags. And it has a provision for a rail to mount NV which is important to me. But the barrels is what they are known for, and by all accounts they are performers and Mr Shilen gave glowing reviews about them. They're built in Georgia. Now, if you can go $1500 or more, the Tikka Tac A1 looks like the bomb too.

Another vote for the tikkas. I built a rifle off their action since the ctr isn't available in left handed. But their ctr is awesome! I've got a couple friends with them and they're hammers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a tikka I bought from a hide member. Sent it to crescent customs and had it barreled in 6.5cm with a 24" medium Palma. Love it, the action is amazing and makes 700s, savages, e.g. cetera feel like a distant second. Only custom actions surpass it in my opinion for quality. If I didn't go tikka I would take a chance on that begara. I bet you could find a lightly used first gen ruger precision rifle for $1k as well. That would be a great first gun and save on upgrades.

260 Rem = 300WM trajectory with recoil you can shoot for the whole afternoon.

Sure, folks can handle the recoil, but I'm telling you flat out that all the denial on the planet is NOT going to keep their scores from sagging after the first 25 rounds.

To be a crack shot at 1000yd requires practice; day in, day out practice in the wind, at the full distance. The fatigue factor inherent in the Magnum chamberings is incompatible with the volume of fire that wind training absolutely mandates.

Save the Magnums for low volume fire applications, do the grunt work with the 6.5's.

Greg

Even with a muzzle brake? I was under the impression that it greatly reduced the recoil, down to almost .243 level. I would never even consider an unbraked 300 Win Mag. I appreciate the advice regardless. I've considered a 260 in the past but it's hard to argue with this much performance gain:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i46.photobucket.com\/albums\/f133\/FT60\/260%20Remington%20Forum_zpsah7q3elb.png"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i46.photobucket.com\/albums\/f133\/FT60\/300%20Win%20Mag%20Forum_zps7tw6rkij.png"}[/IMG2]

That's comparing the 140gr Berger to the 230gr Berger. I don't plan on competing because it's become apparent that I'll need to spend 3 or 4 grand on a great rifle and great glass, which I am not willing to do. This will just be for fun and practice. Even so, I want the extra energy that the bigger calibers provide since I might use it for hunting occasionally.

Last edited:
Even with a muzzle brake? I was under the impression that it greatly reduced the recoil, down to almost .243 level. I would never even consider an unbraked 300 Win Mag. I appreciate the advice regardless. I've considered a 260 in the past but it's hard to argue with this much performance gain:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i46.photobucket.com\/albums\/f133\/FT60\/260%20Remington%20Forum_zpsah7q3elb.png"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i46.photobucket.com\/albums\/f133\/FT60\/300%20Win%20Mag%20Forum_zps7tw6rkij.png"}[/IMG2]

That's comparing the 140gr Berger to the 230gr Berger. I don't plan on competing because it's become apparent that I'll need to spend 3 or 4 grand on a great rifle and great glass, which I am not willing to do. This will just be for fun and practice. Even so, I want the extra energy that the bigger calibers provide since I might use it for hunting occasionally.

I went to my first PRS comp last weekend Apr 21 in St John's wa Rock lake rifle range. I ran my 20" tikka ctr 260 with a Bushnell 6-24-50 first focal focal plane gap g2 and came in 51 St out of 79 guy's so with a $2000 set you can compete just fine. I shot over 200+ plus rounds in 2 days with no muzzle brake and no sore shoulder afterwards running 140 bergers. I also own a tikka in 300 wsm that I love but after about 40 rounds my shoulder will start to fatigue, hunting wise you would be better off with the 260 unless your hunting a grizzly bear or something, if ya wanna long range hunt your gonna need some thing that can be fired in any (position) and be able to manage recoil to control your POI. the berger 230 would be going so slow out of a 300 win mag that they would defeat the purpose of the higher bc. You need a good balance in speed and bc when picking a bullet weight with berger 230 s your in 30 nosler, 300 ultra or 300 Norma country

Also I would never bring a braked rifle hunting unless you plan on taking five minutes to put in earplugs or wear electronic muffs

I appreciate the reply but I disagree. These charts were comparing 2 hot factory loads. With handloads I should be able to get 2900fps with the 230s, which puts it near 338 Lapua territory. As a matter of fact I ran the numbers and it was superior in every way besides 300lbs less energy compared to a 250gr 338 round(@1000 yards). As far as the brake and hunting, I'm not worried about it since I rarely hunt, but I don't want to limit myself with smaller calibers since I live in the mountains. Honestly if I was going to get a smaller caliber I would probably choose the 7mm-08 over the 260 because the ammo is easier to find.

Last edited:
BigBlock, you came here asking for "best rifle under $1000". You have received a lot of good advice, but it all seems to go straight by you. Listen to some of the advice given. Get a Tikka 300winmag or a 260. Put a brake on it, or not, and go shooting. If its not what you want, sell it

I recently bought a Savage BA Stealth in Creedmoor for $932 shipped and transferred to my FFL. With factory Hornady 147 ELD-M, I have been ringing plates at 1000 yards and have shot 5 shot group at 100 yards that a dime will almost cover. There were a couple things I did not like on the rifle such as the stock and it needed a 20 MOA scope rail which I replaced with an XLR with a side folder and a EGW scope rail. Some may like the factory stock but just wasn't for me. I just got into long range shooting and never shot anything past 300 yards (AR's) and this is my first bolt gun as well. For the money, for someone wanting to get into long range shooting,its a hell of a rifle. With my changes and putting a Viper PST FFP 6-24x50, I have right at $2100 in the rifle.

why not get a donor rem 700 and do a remage build. you can build a whole rifle for the price point your looking at. otherwise the tikka is a great option and there are plenty of places that can change barrels on them if need be.