• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best mil/mil low light scope

jroberts

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2007
dover,delaware
I'm looking for everyone's opinion on what the best mil/mil scope for shooting I'm low light situations. It will be used mainly for hunting.

No particular price range. I'm just building a shorty 308 for supressed/subsonic hunting. I have a s&b 5-25 but it kind of seem like over kill when most of my shots will be under 300yds. I was just wondering what else is out there

If it's for hunting and 300yds, i'd go for something like a Swarovski or Zeiss.

Edit - you just noticed you said mil, that eliminates Swaro unfortunately.

Not an expert by any means but I just picked up a NF 2.5-10x42 and it is the best I have seen in low light and would be the perfect size for your rifle.

Steiner 3-12x56, it was designed specifically for low light shooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

Im looking into the same scope setup. IMO, a 42mm will do plenty good and keep things trimmer.

The Hensoldt already mentioned is excellent in low to no light.
I run one on my 19" suppressed 308 for hunting.

If it's for hunting and 300yds, i'd go for something like a Swarovski or Zeiss.

Edit - you just noticed you said mil, that eliminates Swaro unfortunately.

Swarovski makes a Z3 with the BRH reticle. The reticle is a mil based Xmas tree but they don't have exposed MRAD turrets. It would make a nice hunting scope if you're not gonna be dialing elevation.

Best mil/mil low light scope

I'm looking for everyone's opinion on what the best mil/mil scope for shooting I'm low light situations. It will be used mainly for hunting.
If it dials down to a seven exit pupil, you're fine.

If it dials down to a seven exit pupil, you're fine.

This is true. Divide the aperture by the magnification, that's the exit pupil. Aim for 7 mm. For instance, I can use my 32 mm scope up to about 4.5x. A bigger aperture will get you more light IF you magnify up to the appropriate exit pupil. But assuming glass transmission is equal, my 32 mm scope is equal to a 56 mm aperture at 4.5x for both. But then I can magnify the 56 mm to 8x and obtain the better, greater amount of light. On the other hand, the bigger exit pupil will give you a wider eye box too...

Long story short, aim for better coatings for greater light transmission more than huge aperture.

Edit: Another thing before I shut the hell up. Binoculars will be much better for target identification with the two tubes, higher mag/aperture combos (10x50 for example...I use 11x80 though :D), and scanning capability.

Last edited: