• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Muzzle Brake?

Noise and "backblast" to the shooter aren't bad, but as with any brake it isn't kind to anyone shooting beside you. My spotter can position himself behind and to the side of me, and isn't effected by the muzzle blast.

I have an FTE brake as well, and I don't notice any significant difference between the two for recoil dampening or "backblast". I can't really comment on which is louder or quieter as I always wear hearing protection and thus both are adequately blunted.

My gunsmith recommended this one instead of a FTE because he suggested that it may effect barrel harmonics, but I can't say that I've rigorously tested his theory.

HMMMMMMMMM. WELL, CRAP. Im having ideas now. Trim the bbl. to 23'' and install an mrad brake. Cuz I havent shot prone with it for long periods but it definately whacks the top of the shoulder. 300 Win Mag is fun but it kicks, even on a 17lb rifle like mine. Prone is the only thing that starts to get me but I like shooting prone the best. Thanks for the info.

I've got a few rifles with the Big Chubby and it is very effective. the angle of the ports does not cause much dirt to rise either. They are on alot of the LE sniper rifles in my area.

I have a PWS precision rifle brake on my .300WM. Extremely soft shooting. The RO commented on the concussion but the gentlemen on the benches around me didn't seem to mind. It wasn't loud to me and I was only wearing surefire earplugs. I would easily buy another

I have a holland quick discharge on my 7 mag like it real well

I run a Vias break on my 300WM feels like shooting a .243 also run a Badger thruster on my .308

JP Recoil Eliminator++++ I call it my little tank brake, Do to the fact this brake would be for Medical reasons this is the brake. I have one on my 308 and love it. This brake works that all I can say!!!!! I dont care what other people think of how it looks. I can shoot all day long with no aches or pains, why beat your body up and there is no need to. Recoil over time can cause problems to your body. When I do my part I can see the hit's, so if i need to make a quick follow up shot I can since I never lost sight of the target. http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.php

Last edited:
Yep Im goin with the MRAD Brake from R&D precision. Talked to them today, Im sold on it. Was wondering what they are made of? SS? Carbon steel? Are they in the white when you get them? I forgot to ask and Im trying to figure out if it can be blued or not. Also how much length does it add to the barrel? Shit, forgot that too. I have to call again. lol

Last edited:
If you have a local smith to thread your barrel, contact Ross Schuller on here, goes by Rem40xb1. He's made me several brakes for me, Holland-style, work great, GREAT price.

The best break I have ever used is the Armalite break. Our AR-30 in 338LM has an aluminum butt pad. My 300WM has an Ops Inc brake on it. My 300WM has much less felt recoil than my 308.

Badger thruster is the way to go.Had mark king install mine on a .300 wm.It kicks less then my 308 does

APA little bastard brake would serve you quite nicely.

You can't concern yourself with the increase in noise. Kinda goes against getting one. The more effective it is, the louder it is. The bastard brakes are loud!

If this is true, I have the most effective brake in the world.. I have a Schrewd brake on my R700 in .308.. It eliminates recoil impulses to the point where my POA hardly shifts during the recoil impulse and I can spot my own shots from 100-1000 and everywhere in between.

I have also had people tell me that they wish they had earpro on while in their car, 25 yards away while driving up to the parking area behind and next to the firing line.. During our club matches, I easily have the loudest rifle on the line.. lol

Only brake I have is a Badger Thruster on a 7WSM. The gun is very comfortable to shoot but loud for others on the firing line. Without fail, people come and ask what caliber the rifle is since it sounds like a small artillery piece going off. I let people shoot it and they are all amazed at how little it kicks.

I really like the smooth look of having the brake blended into the barrel and the smoke streaks that run down my barrel from the brake. Reminds me of the exhaust streaks on the cowls of WW2 fighter planes.

I know this is an old thread but I just got an R&D mrad brake and it is great. Recoil on my .300 is less than my .308. Very happy with it.

JP Tank is the best I've used to date. Don't think you'll find anyone that really shoots that will argue with that.

If you want the most effective muzzle brake thats what your looking for, perhaps not the best looking but I don't know what your priorities are

Allready checked them out. Sold on the clamp/thread style. Thanks for the but its too late to switch now. R&D MRAD.

Good choice that is the best muzzle brake I've ever found, easy to get on and off, great looking, surprisingly effective given its size. In my opinion of course

I know this is an old thread but I just got an R&D mrad brake and it is great. Recoil on my .300 is less than my .308. Very happy with it.

Hi,

New to the site. I just picked up a .300 win mag and really like the looks of the R&D break. The barrel is threaded already. Is there any need to time the MRAD break or did yours just screw on and tighten down with the alignment of the ports correct?

I have Battle Comps on all my rifles...... I know it's a comp and not just a brake but I think it is the best compromise available for flash suppression, braking capability, and noise.

Hi,

New to the site. I just picked up a .300 win mag and really like the looks of the R&D break. The barrel is threaded already. Is there any need to time the MRAD break or did yours just screw on and tighten down with the alignment of the ports correct?

Mine went on almost perfect with the shoulder maybe .5 thread for the wall. Line the ports to the desired timing and tighten it down.

Most brakes are loud by nature. My TRG-42 .338 LM was pretty brutal before I put a Surefire MB on it. I would say consider a suppressor mount muzzle brake, a little bit more utility if you change your mind and get a can down the line.