• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best of the Worst. Need More Contestants

slothlacrosse

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
CENTCOM
CS Tactical is my inspiration for this but I can't bring myself to post this in the Rifle Scopes section, but there's the plan:

Buy the most common "is this a good scope" options and test them.

Legitimately test them, ie- charts, box tests, customer service (because we know one or all of them is going to take a shit).

4-16x is a very useful power range and all the manufacturers make a piece of sh- i mean scope with that power range.

Barska
4-16x50 Tactical Rifle Scope

NcStar
4-16x50 Mark III 30mm Rifle Scope

Osprey Optics
Tactical 4-16x50 Illuminated Mil Dot Reticle 30mm Tube Black

Sightmark
4-16x44 Triple Duty 30mm Rifle Scope

does anyone else have some gun show bargain table scope that could be thrown into the mix?

this will be the testing:

1) see how much internal adjustment there really is
2) I3A/ISO resolution chart
3) box test on a 22 LR @ 100 y
4) lap around the farm in a gun case in the back of a truck and see if it's still holding its zero
5) i doubt any scope will survive this, but all survivors will be mounted on a 308 and i'll see how they do at longer ranges
6) if any are worth a shit, they'll be mounted on a 300 WM and i'll see what happens

all interactions or lack of with customer service will be documented.

i know a lot of us have looked through these scopes at gun shows or know a friend of a friend who bought one, but i want documented answers.

if you have a suggestion for a test, i'm open to ideas. i'm thinking a submersion test is in order since some claim to be waterproof.

if you have one of these (or anything made by any of these manufacturers) that you bought on impulse before doing any research, i'll take any donations. your name will not be posted (your secret is safe with me).

Re: Best of the Worst. Need More Contestants

I would actually really like to see this. A real, well-documented video and photos of these scopes really performing to their set standards...or lack thereof.

add to this the tasco 4-16 "catseye" scope. it has illuminated reticle and MOA knobs.

Had a mall ninja come to academy yesterday ( i work the gun counter, i meet some very interesting people and very "accomplished/talented" shooters ) and tell me that it was better than any of his leupolds or other "high end" scopes.

I can throw the Osprey in for testing... Except mine is I.R. 10-40x50mm with a dead battery! It only saw about 15-20 rounds through a .308...

I gotta admit, it kept its zero, and trackability throughout those rounds, but the glass is SHIT!!!

If you pay the shipping, its all yours!

Of course I don't want anybody to profit off of it (as if anyone here would stoop so low to sell it... So I'll scratch the shit outta the scope tube!)