• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best Optic for ~1500$

Best Optic for ~1500$

• Total voters

Shanerbanner10

Primer Denter
Minuteman
  • Jan 13, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Hey Gents, I have friend asking for some advise on optics around the $1500 range. I've made suggestions based directly on what I've used and looked through/fiddled with which are Gen 1 Razors, Bushy DRM, DRM 2, XRS, ERS, Possibly a Gen 2 PST (would like feedback from others before I make that recommendation).

What would you guys suggest around that price range? 15-1600 is as high as he's probably willing to go.

Depending on if it's a hard limit or if you can scrape a few more dollars together you may find a used Gen 2 Razor...

I found 2 a couple weeks ago (3-18 and 4.5-27) for <$1800 with the Vortex/Seekins Precision Matched Rings.

Depending on if it's a hard limit or if you can scrape a few more dollars together you may find a used Gen 2 Razor...

I found 2 a couple weeks ago (3-18 and 4.5-27) for <$1800 with the Vortex/Seekins Precision Matched Rings.

I suggested that as well. Its a tough price point. Lots of options around the 1500 mark. Add a couple hundred and its still pretty darn tough.

I am watching this thread as I can spend $1500 tops, spending less for good optics is a plus.

OP, thanks.

I'm in this boat also, planned use is steel out to the limits of a 5R Remington in .308 (#29963), probably 1,000 yards with Federal GMM. I'd prefer to use the turrets to adjust for range, so if it has enough adjustment for 1,000 yards I'd be happy. As for magnification, my .223 practice rifles have 14x scopes and are used out to 500 yards, so I'd like 24-32x I suppose on the .308.

Like Bo I'd prefer to be around $1,500 with rings/rail (or one piece), or under.

PRS type matches is intended use. My bad, figured people would pick that up based on the types of optics listed.

I've never used either, but based on others' usage, check out the DMR2 & the Cronus. neither of the brands is confidence inspiring

For my $, I'd go for :

the untested PST gen 2 for $1000 or so

OR

I'd spend $2100 and get the Razor Gen2 4.5x MRAD EBR-2C and never look back. THIS is the suggestion I give my friends.

Athlon Cronus (Used) or PST gen 2. I'd put the Burris a close 3rd.

^^This^^

All things being equal, if someone put a Cronus 4.5-29 and a Gen II Razor 4.5-27 on the table in front of me and told me that I could choose one of them to keep, I'd pick the Razor, 10 times out of 10. That said, all things are not equal, and finding a Cronus within your price range will be a LOT easier than finding a Gen II Razor in your price range... and while between the two I prefer the Razor, the Cronus is certainly no slouch. If it means anything to you, I have one Gen II Razor, and two Cronuses (Cronii?).

Another option is the 5-20SS HD. They have have good glass, are about as sturdy as anything, verified tracking and can be bought used in the the $1k, range and new up to the $1.5k. limit. The only real knock on these has been the reticle.

Another option is the Weaver Tactical 3-15X50 that is currently available at Natchez Shooters Supply for under $600.00 Be sure you are buying model #800363.

Either of these are absolutely adequate for getting your feet wet in PRS. If he wants to move up there would be little to no loss if he resells it.

Check out Sig Sauer Tango 4 Line FFP, some really sweet stuff they are making these days with all the functions. Sweet glass I might add too and the price is 500$-1200$ for a first focal plane reticle. I think they will be a leader when things are sorted out in there product line. Electronics in our optics is the future and they see that clearly!

The Mile High Shooting deal for the Gen I Razor and a Spuhr mount for $1700 or a DMR II would be my choices.

My bad, I would use said optic for paper, range steel, unknown range varmint hunting, and deer season later this year.
    I may have an opportunity to shoot a 1000yrd range.

I took a chance on the Athlon Cronus and I have been pleasantly surprised. Yea.....I like my Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27 better. Are you LE or military? Vortex has a great veteran program...

I'd second a used nxs,but have no experience with the choices.I do have a Burris xtr ii,some days I praise it for the money,then some days I cuss it,if it only had better glass for my eyes.

I just got a Gen 1 Razor HD 5-20 from opticsplant for 1.3k with coupon, and a 35mm 20MOA base from primary arms for about $150.

Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27, like I tell all my friends, hurt once and you will not be disappointed. I know it's kind of a stretch from 1500 but a little extra saving would go a long way in terms of quality. Plus that warranty you can't beat. But Derek1ee has a good alternative, the Gen 1 razors are a steal used and offer a lot. Go with vortex and you won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've had a Gen I Razor and have an ERS. Out of those two I'd take the Gen I Razor because of better glass. Careful shopping should find one of those for $1200 range and they're a great scope.

I have the Bushnell ERS and it is not a bad pick. If you shop around you and find it for $1300. I had the same debate about 6 month ago. I was also leaning hard in the Steiner Txi 5-25 direction but decided on Bushnell. Since Athlon is such a young company, I didn't want to buy a scope and then in 3 years not be able to get it repaired or replaced because they had been purchased by another manufacture.

I couldn't pick between the TX5i and DMRII. I would pick them as top on your list. I can't decide which I like better. The Leopold I have not used.

I've never used either, but based on others' usage, check out the DMR2 & the Cronus. neither of the brands is confidence inspiring

What about a Bushnell ET scope is not confidence inspiring? In all the years the DMR/XRS/ERS has been out, I've only read of one instance of a scope breaking, and they sell a lot of them.
    Lifetime no questions asked warranty and starting in 2016 accidental damage coverage, too... how is that not confidence inspiring?

Another vote for the Gen1 Razor 5-20. Awesome scope for around the $1200-1300 price range barely used, or even the price at Mile High that comes with the Spuhr ... I still think that's a great deal at that price point! Just to throw another one out there, I'd recommend the latest Gen of the IOR 3.5-18x50. Yes, I know many people have had less than stellar experiences with theirs, but of the 2 I've owned, I love them. Heavy, not the best feeling turrets, and a funky finish on them, but other than that mine have been spot on and can be found well within your price range.

IOR = Romania

Who's going to fix it if the US importer decides not to warranty it? Who's going to buy it from you if you sell it?

IOR = Romania

Who's going to fix it if the US importer decides not to warranty it? Who's going to buy it from you if you sell it?

Not trying to defend IOR directly, but in all fairness, IOR = same importer over at least the last 10+ years.

In my mind your comments apply, at some level or another, to just about any US optic importer. Many with less than a 10 year track record in the industry. As always, buyer beware!

I have the Bushnell Elite XRS 4.5-30x50 with the H59 reticle. Picked it up a few months back for $1500 and well worth it. Usually this is a $2100 scope and it is solid. Any of the Bushnell listed would work well and you would be happy. What convinced me, in addition to the amazing clarity and quality, was the no questions asked lifetime warranty.

You might get your hands on a used 3.5-15 NXS F1, but I would get a SHV F1 4-14x50 MIL-R and a NF or Badger Unimount.

Out of those listed Shane, DMRII gets my vote. It's compact, great turrets, illumination, integrated throw lever, great reticle, the glass is good. Really there is little to dislike about the DMR II. The current Gen ERS/XRS can be had for a good bit cheaper on the classfields than the other scopes mentioned. Steiner i'd stray very far away from as i just can't seem to find anything positive about the T5Xi and wouldn't be willing find out the hard way either.

Gen I Razor i have no experience with, if it's glass is anything like their razor binoculars it's got to be really good. I do dislike the 35mm rings.

Mark 6 i've owned and the glass is good, not great, but more problematic is their reputation for not tracking. Which mine also exhibited. The eye box is the worse i've used on any scope to date at the top end of the mag range. It's downright terribly sensitive. Scope should've been restricted at 15x with that kind of exit pupil. M5B2 turrets are pretty sloppy as well, they're usable but sloppy.

If you can wait i think the Gen II PST might be worth checking out, if not i say grab a DMR II and don't look back.

I'll second the Gen 1 Razor with free Spuhr mount from Mile High Shooting, just picked one of these up & its a great scope & a good deal.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. After all this, I think I've talked him up to a Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27! I know he'll be very happy with it.

I'm with all guys. 1500 is hard spot to be. There's 700 dollar glass competing with 1500 dollar glass.

look at used 2200 dollar glass and get out of 1500 dead dead spot.

if you can't figure out whathe he wants buy a swfa fixed power. That won't be money wasted

The Cronus is on another level compared to most of those scopes except MAYBE the higher end bushnells. To even compare the Burris XTRII's to the cronus is completely laughable. The glass is truly apples to oranges.

The Cronus is on another level compared to most of those scopes except MAYBE the higher end bushnells. To even compare the Burris XTRII's to the cronus is completely laughable. The glass is truly apples to oranges.

You can get the Cronus in a group buy on 65grendel.com for $1500.

I got a used Gen 1 Razor for $1280 last year. It's been a great scope, the eyebox is slightly tighter than what I am used too but thats a minor complaint.

I was looking at getting a PST, but very glad I spent the extra $200 for the Gen 1 Razor.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Curious about this coupon

I think it was RS11, the scope was listed for $1519 and the code brought it down to $1351. Looks like the price went up and the coupon has expired. I'd just add the scope to the cart and you can check back on price changes, they run 10%-ish discount once in a while so may just have to wait for the right time.

I'd have to second that the Athlon Cronus lines need to be seriously considered for the value they offer in this category. They are optically excellent! Mechanical performance and overall durability still still need to be earned!

Only time will tell, but I'm giving the Cronus BTR a chance and voting with my money.

I think it was RS11, the scope was listed for $1519 and the code brought it down to $1351. Looks like the price went up and the coupon has expired. I'd just add the scope to the cart and you can check back on price changes, they run 10%-ish discount once in a while so may just have to wait for the right time.

thanks for the advice!

Man, It'd be a tough one between the Cronus and the DMRII... If the XTR 2 is on the list, then it may also be worth it to look at the PST Gen 2 and the Athlon Ares, I'm hearing both are very comparable in quality and clarity of the XTR II for a bit less $.

If I haven't suggested it already, the XTR2 non-illuminated announced at SHOT should be around $850 for the 4-20x.

Run that for a while while deciding which $2000+ scope you will probably upgrade to later. Realistically, it should serve you fine if you don't need illumination.