• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best optics for $1k or less????

browningboy84

Minuteman
May 7, 2009
Georgia
I am trying to find out what would be the best tactical scope for under $1000. I have a 300wsm that I want to shoot long range with it, and use for hunting as well. I tried to search on the forum, but nothing this specific. I could use some help with this one.

Re: Best optics for $1k or less????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this one is actually even better and the guy who runs the site is a hide member:http://www.libertyoptics.com/index1.html
</div></div>

+1 Scott's customer service is outstanding!

take a look at the Viper line of Vortex scopes

Why not a mark4 used from here on the hide, you can find one pretty easily for 950.JMHO but I would take the mark 4 over a vortex 9 days of the week.

I haven't personally seen one,
but alot of folks like the Falcon line of scopes too.
I think you could get 2 for under 1K

sightron SIII as good or better optics than NF and some of the best tracking in the industry.

My opinion likely won't change for the time being.

Sightron SIII
IOR 2.5-10x42 SFP (FFP are sold out)

Are the best glass under $1000, with Nikon Monarch running close behind.

For about $500, Vortex Viper.

I just had several scopes, binos, and spotters out today (weather was nice) and had a Vortex resolution chart out at 67 yards. I was able to look side by side at Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 with a mint trade-in Lupy Mark 4 6.5-20x50 Mark 4 TMR. Both set at 20x. This time, I gave the edge in clarity and minimal chromatic abberation to the Lupy. A slight edge, but being the Lupy is well over twice (nearly 3x) the price, the Vortex is a better value.

There is has been a lot of tough talk about Leupold as of late but in keeping with the budget you have a Mk4 is an easy choice for some folks.

Do you want a variable or fixed power and if variable what is the range of magnification you are looking for?

For me my Mk4 3.5-10x40 LR M1 works great and it fit my particular budget at the time. $1k can be a tough act to follow, if you could increase a bit more then there are several very good options but I do understand the budget and sticking to it.

My second scope is coming from USO and that's not much over the $1k mark. It all depends how flexible you want your optic to be.

How about base and rings? Are they included into your budget too?

my .02¢ Good luck.

I might be able to push it up to $1400 including rings and bases, but I have a wife in college who commutes 60 miles one way every day to school, and I am a paramedic, so I dont have a whole lot of cash to unload on optics at this time. $1400 on the budget for the scope will kill my planned G30 .45 pistol purchase. At $1400 for everythting, does anybody have a good suggestion for the best tactical scope. I have a 300 WSM bull barrel bolt gun, and I have a McMillan ordered so I want this thing to be a tackdriver. I want at least 14X as the max power so I can reach out and touch something when I need to.

"...At $1400 for everythting, does anybody have a good suggestion for the best tactical scope."

Nightforce 3-15X50mm used will matching MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA reticle/knobs. There are usually some in the for sale section of this site on any given day.

U.S. Optics

They can build you a damn nice scope to your specs for under $1400. I have used alot of different scopes both high and low end and keep coming back to U.S. Optics. The build quality and glass is excellent and they hold their value well. There may be a short wait but I can assure you it will be worth it.

http://www.usoptics.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneck medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might be able to push it up to $1400 including rings and bases, but I have a wife in college who commutes 60 miles one way every day to school, and I am a paramedic, so I dont have a whole lot of cash to unload on optics at this time. $1400 on the budget for the scope will kill my planned G30 .45 pistol purchase. </div></div>

From reading what you stated, if your G30 is going to be for CC, homeland defense and going to be your first or only one, that is simple to me, G30 (not my preference though) comes first, everything else is secondary to protecting my family. But, we have had a gun pointed at us and been attacked, never again will we become victims as long as I have breath.

Its doubtful anyone here on the Hide has less cash flow than me. Also, many probably do not have as much junk in closets, shed, old vehicle that I do. I sold a Weatherby 300 which gave me enough cash for SPS Vermit, base and rings, SS, bipod, added some coin for HS stock and RB trigger. Then, for over a year I used Craigs List to sell most of my junk off to afford top shelf. Used a swear jar and added extra coin as I could.

I look at things different maybe. I went with the low side, SS10x for my first stick. I am one of those who believe either bottom or top shelf, there is no in-between. I was all set to settle for Loopy around $1000, I even looked at Burris for around $800 and some others just so I could get something better than SS but when I gave it serious thought, it was a mid range waste of money and went with USO mostly due to I could get what I wanted and I have time to wait.

Just a simple man opinion.

US optics is still out of my price range, even with the limit set at $1400. I can get either a nightforce or a IOR maybe, and that is if I can get a deal on one. Anybody got any more input?