• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Best option: ~$1000 competition/ target pistol

Love my CZs but prefer striker fireds for competition where time matters.

A G34 can be tricked out pretty well for under a grand, but if you can’t get over the grip angle the 5.25” XDM Springer with a trigger job already done can be bought directly from Powder River Precision for under a grand and it’s an out-of-box competitor in the stock classes.

Reactions: Alphatreedog
CZ P10-F Optics Ready. By far the best stock out of the box pistol I’ve ever owned and I’ve owned pretty much all of them. Keep it as is and shoot Production, or add a Delta Point and shoot Carry Optics. Add a Dawson fiber optic front sight and an HBI flat trigger and you are still legal for Production. The pistol alone is $499-$550 right now.

Reactions: Wyzrd
Don’t let the DA/SA turn you away from the best competition guns on the market.

Definitely! By no means take my word for it: wait until you’ve spent money on a nice CZ (like my customized 85 Combat that spends way too much time sitting in the safe...) before you realize that striker fired pistols are easier, faster, and more consistent to run as competition guns ? ?

No question I’m going to give the CZ to my grandson one day, but in the intervening 30 years I’m going to put a lot more rounds down the pipe of my trashy 5.25 XDM

Reactions: Trevor300wsm
CZ shadow 2 + Tanfoglio Stock II/III = 65-70% of iron sighted production pistols in USPSA.

Don’t let the DA/SA turn you away from the best competition guns on the market.

This right here OP, this is the right answer in your price range.

as a long time owner (1 week) of a Shadow2, if you can stretch your budget the CZ is pretty awesome. I completely understand why people love theirs. I cannot speak to it's reliability, but in my limited testing it is more accurate than anything else I own in my hands, and I've been shooting sigs for 25 years and thought they were the end-all for me.

I'd also give some consideration to the 320 X5. I was able to shoot the shadow2, 320 x5, and walther match steel frame last weekend back-to-back. while the shadow was my favorite, I was really impressed by the value of the Sig. fast forward to yesterday - I sold some stuff and bought one. $700 with 4 mags represents so much value, and I"m very intrigued with the whole grip module thing.

I will probably always prefer non-striker handguns, but the X5 is on a whole different plane compared to every other striker gun I've ever used. I don't doubt there are other high end models out there, I just haven't had any experience with them.

Has anyone here ran a Shadow 2 with steel cased ammunition? While I know it’s primarily a comp gun, I am considering it for general and duty purposes over my Glock 34. My Glock eats steel like its finely made brass. I use steel for practice (so 90% of my shooting) because it is routinely cheaper (baring sales, etc.).

So any steel in a Shadow 2? Anything from Winchester Forged to Academy Monarch.

I'm not sure. I stay away from steel cased ammo as a rule, so I haven't, and likely wont try on my shadow.
1) I'm not sure it's much of a savings these days,
2) I don't like providing financial support for the folks that make it (that is a blanket statement that isn't 100% accurate, but by-in-large the steel cased market isn't produced by places with close ties of friendship to America).
3) using ammo that is inherently less accurate sort of defeats the purpose of the shadow and it's competitors

I buy in bulk when it's on sale, then I'm never paying full price

I'm also not sure the logic of a $1000+ gun running the cheapest ammo available, or the utility of a 46oz unloaded general purpose 9mm hand gun.

Pmclaine had it right on...

Get a Smith 52. Don't bother with 9mm. Get the Smith 52.

They can be found for under $1,000... usually with non-stock grips and some blue wear.

They are one of the finest out-of-the-box target pistols, bar none. And .38 Wadcutter is cheap and pleasant to shoot.

Don't look for a target pistol in 9mm. They are few, far-between and generally cost a fortune (aka Sig or walther). 9mm simply is not a target caliber, typically. Can it be, sure. But is it? Not often.

Alter your equation and go for the Smith 52. You will be glad you did!

Cheers,

Sirhr

@schlaiek

I know 46oz is not “general” purpose. Weight is not a huge factor with me. I just generally do not buy things for specific uses. I like dual role firearms. Maybe that will change as I plan on trying out a few local USPSA comps with my Glock 34. I’d spend the money on the Shadow 2 because it grips my hand and has an amazing trigger.

I see a few sales for brass at $.16 per shot, so I may need to just buy in bulk when possible. Steel is just routinely $.13-$.16/shot.

By no means take my word for it: wait until you’ve spent money on a nice CZ (like my customized 85 Combat that spends way too much time sitting in the safe...) before you realize that striker fired pistols are easier, faster, and more consistent to run as competition guns ? ?
That must be why Ben Stoeger and Eric Grauffel use them...........................................oh wait.......

Yep, and if you shoot as well as those guys you probably won’t see any difference in your times either way lol

Going from a CZ85 Combat to an XDM 5.25 in production definitely made a difference in my times though. Probably because I don’t shoot professionally/I suck ;)

Also, let’s not pretend that some flavor of Glock (especially 34) isn’t far and away the most popular comp platform. DA/SA probably plays a role in that.

Has anyone here ran a Shadow 2 with steel cased ammunition? While I know it’s primarily a comp gun, I am considering it for general and duty purposes over my Glock 34. My Glock eats steel like its finely made brass. I use steel for practice (so 90% of my shooting) because it is routinely cheaper (baring sales, etc.).

So any steel in a Shadow 2? Anything from Winchester Forged to Academy Monarch.

Not a Shadow 2. But I will tell you for sure that my SP01 Tactical will not run steel!
Could be the ammo, idk? Only tried 7 rounds and none cycled.
The box sets on the bench. Might try it in my 320? Probably just give it to someone with a Glock.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Thanks @GONE BAD. I was watching Kit Badger on Youtube say how he was having issues with Winchester Forged through a nicer 2011. Made me rethink my lust for a Shadow 2 given its purpose and my uses.

Reactions: GONE BAD
Skip lunch for a month. Then up your budget.

Yep, and if you shoot as well as those guys you probably won’t see any difference in your times either way lol

Going from a CZ85 Combat to an XDM 5.25 in production definitely made a difference in my times though. Probably because I don’t shoot professionally/I suck ;)

Also, let’s not pretend that some flavor of Glock (especially 34) isn’t far and away the most popular comp platform. DA/SA probably plays a role in that.

Brah, admit that you sucked with the DA first shot and then made no effort to get good at it. That's not all of us. That's not most of us. I LOL at guys like you who blame gear for their shortcomings. 99% of the time they are the ones I stomp on.

Ben Stoeger and Eric Grauffel don't choose DA/SA pistols because they can shoot any other kind just as well. They choose them because they give them an advantage. Guys like them leave nothing on the table.....

Brah, admit that you sucked with the DA first shot and then made no effort to get good at it.

Yep.

That's not all of us.

Ok.

That's not most of us.

Hmmmm...given the overwhelming show of Glock love at every event I’ve ever been to I disagree, but whatever.

I LOL at guys like you who blame gear for their shortcomings.

Not as hard as I LOL’d at this guy that got schooled at a 3gun match because he hadn’t trained hard enough to win with his muzzle loader. What a quitter! ?

99% of the time they are the ones I stomp on.

I’m no newbie, but stomping on me in any kind of shooting match won’t give you much in the way of bragging rights man ?

I like the CZ man, I really do — I bought it first afterall, and I didn’t sell it or anything after moving to the XDM for matches. I just think for a ~$1000 competition pistol the factory hot rod striker fireds are better options. If your skills are such that striker vs DA/SA makes no difference, your budget is probably more than a grand anyway because you run that much money through it in ammo every other month or so.

Any idea if 408W bought a pistol? I ws going to say Springfield Range Officer but a lot people don't like 1911's for some reason. PI9122L lists at $1057 but can be found for $875 -$900.

[QUOTE="408w, post: 7699975, member: 116148"
[/QUOTE]
I had to join in after pursuing the unicorn my thoughts.If you are practical and realistic a M+P 9 4.25 or 5 can be had used 400.00 with some extras 3 cases factory 9 600.00. Heck I've seen CZ S2 used for 900.00 awesome pistol love mine. I have a variety of pistols so I'm not practical. Heck I've even have 2 glocks and their grips do not work for me.

was going to suggest a smith 41 its a target gun in 22lr just saw a few most are 1300 + smith 38k is also another great target pistol no idea on there pricing its a wheel gun . ruger mark 3 or 4 also a 22 lr great shooting gun browning buck mark another option 686 is hard to beat with a good trigger job . two full years and still love my canik tp9sfx knowing its not the best gun out there in the world its pretty nice for the cost still have not needed to install the red dot purchases for it , nor a trigger job unlike the m&p pro core that trigger sucked . that cz looks really nice as well , so many guns left to buy and only one life to get them all .

M&P 2.0 5" with the Apex full trigger kit is really nice. They have the new M&P 9 2.0 5" Performance series w/o a safety for $600. Apex trigger kit for $125. Really, really nice shooting gun.

USP expert and VP9 longslide both worth a mention in this thread. You will have to install the bobbed hammer on the expert for it to fit in the box.

Both can be had under a grand.

M&P pro with a Apex comp kit, call Apex for advice on what springs to swap for desired pull, there are a few combos that can make a really nice trigger. I'm rocking a gen 1 and it spits them out quick.

I tried a RI 2011 in 9mm, went back to the M&P.

Most of the CZ models in DA/SA are also available in SA only and some of the higher end target models are SA only anyways.
I don't think you'll find any advantage in speed or accuracy in going striker fire over a nicely tuned SA trigger.
A top of the line CZ Custom or CGW or Tanfoglio SA trigger is truly beautiful especially with the short reset work done.

True because if you would have, you wouldn't have gone back to an M&P. Changing over platforms isnt cheap.

IMHO there is no such thing as a TRUE target centerfire pistol polymer or otherwise for less than a $1000. I take it what you are looking for is a typical pistol setup for casual target shooting. All one needs to do for an CASUAL target pistol is to do some trigger work, maybe change the grips (if possible) and put more precise sights on it. Any midsize or better yet fullsize pistol will do. A SA trigger would be a plus.

While this is true across the entire population of shooters who attend some type of action shooting match, their prevalence tends to be inversely proportional to the shooter classification level.

Last edited:
I don’t know, in my opinion Glock is a completely different animal, yes it’s cheaper but it’s not competition/target ready out the box, but it has a lot of upgrates available.
if you compare prices , yes at $1500 invested into Glock 34 it could be as accurate as shadow2 or P210, but it still doesn’t sit in your hand as good as. But the Glock is definitely more reliable, I would rather have a Glock if zombie apocalypse.
By the way another one I’m looking at and thinking to buy, hear a lot of good things about Walther Q5 match steel frame... and i’m promising to my wife that is going to complete my gun collection :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 7068640

I’ve got this Walther and my wife shoots steel challenge matches with it and does pretty well. Its got a Good factory trigger and Is Accurate as all get out. This gun would be a good choice in either metal or cheaper polymer frame versions.

IMHO there is no such thing as a TRUE target centerfire pistol polymer or otherwise for less than a $1000. I take it what you are looking for is a typical pistol setup for casual target shooting. All one needs to do for an CASUAL target pistol is to do some trigger work, maybe change the grips (if possible) and put more precise sights on it. Any midsize or better yet fullsize pistol will do. A SA trigger would be a plus.

What exactly do you consider "true" target shooting?

Sig X5 Legion

Those had a LOT of fanfare/hype when they first came out, but about 6 months or so after that there were a ton of them for sale by both USPSA and 3 Gun guys.

For a while, they were basically unobtanium because all of the gamers wanted to run them. Now they come up for sale used pretty often. That makes me think it might be prudent to wait until they've been out a good while and proven.

Those had a LOT of fanfare/hype when they first came out, but about 6 months or so after that there were a ton of them for sale by both USPSA and 3 Gun guys.

For a while, they were basically unobtanium because all of the gamers wanted to run them. Now they come up for sale used pretty often. That makes me think it might be prudent to wait until they've been out a good while and proven.
I think the market just has a lot in general. I don’t know anyone that has owned one and didn’t like it. I shoot a 2011 and the X5 is my backup. I wouldn’t hesitate to run it though. For $800 ish it’s really hard to beat

Have one. Shoots great. Would be fine for bullseye, though I'm not sure it's better than my .45. That said, for any type multi-engagement it's out. The mag is too small and too hard to change.